Throwing Distance

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Throwing Distance

Unread post by LostOne »

I don't recall seeing anything really like this in the books, but is there a rule anywhere for how far supernatural strength characters can throw a weapon or small object?
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Re: Throwing Distance

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Well, pages 147 and 148 cover the throwing bonuses of super-strong creatures, like zombies, and the throwing of seriously heavy stuff. It looks like they removed the table that shows basic distances, though. Unless it got moved elsewhere, it'd have to be referenced from one of the other mainbooks, in the attribute section.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

LostOne wrote:I don't recall seeing anything really like this in the books, but is there a rule anywhere for how far supernatural strength characters can throw a weapon or small object?

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I can think of at least two books that go into it.

1) PF Main Book: Page 17 discussses it to some extent (it does talk about Supernatural characters after it discusses throwing for normal strength). It states the distance for some objects are limited by size/shape and just not designed for throwing, as well as distance allowed for normal and Supernatural strength (primarily discussing "heavy" objects though). This section does discuss throwing miscellaneous items by weight categories. It also has some basic ranges for throwing in W.P. Targeting (page 61).

2) RUE: Page 328 is the W.P. Targeting. It looks like all the books with W.P. Targeting has at least some tables, but R:UE does go into more details below, discussing increasing range depending on strength type and distance for "heavy" items/objects. It's over half the page, so make sure to read through to make sure you don't miss it. For small items it's primarily just set ranges and range increases, but still listed.

You can always try to splice the rules, using the listings for weight in PF and then the range increase from R:UE. In general, W.P. Targeting of any book is a good place to look. Some information may be located in other books as well. For instance, I have no idea which book J. Lionheart is using (and I didn't see a specific setting in the original post or thread title), so that could be another one with different information. With a specific setting listed (this is the G.M. Forum, so open to all settings) I might be able to figure it out more. Hopefully some of that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Thanks for the call on W.P. Targetting, Prysus.

Page 216 of Dead Reign has the effective throwing distances table, and pages 147 and 148 cover the additional range from beign super strong. That should be what you need, LostOne.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

J. Lionheart wrote:Page 216 of Dead Reign has the effective throwing distances table, and pages 147 and 148 cover the additional range from beign super strong. That should be what you need, LostOne.

I don't have Dead Reign yet, unfortunately. I'll have to check the sources Prysus posted.

Thanks all.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

LostOne wrote:
J. Lionheart wrote:Page 216 of Dead Reign has the effective throwing distances table, and pages 147 and 148 cover the additional range from beign super strong. That should be what you need, LostOne.

I don't have Dead Reign yet, unfortunately. I'll have to check the sources Prysus posted.

Thanks all.

Gak! Sorry, for some reason I thought this was posted in the Dead Reign forum, so I spoke in terms of that. That's what I get for checking forums in the same order every day :-P I forget which one I'm in.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”