Parrying not your own attacker

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Parrying not your own attacker

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Convoluted sounding title, but I am wondering basically that. Is it possible to parry an attack that isn't leveled against you. I guess it would require a GM call, but say for example I am standing right next to Bill and we are fighting off two Orcs. Well I luck out and slay my orc and an action later Bill's Orc manages to knock Bills sword out of his hand...can I dance in and block that decapitating follow up blow???

Assume I have actions left.

My guess would be for ground rules automatic parry would only work if the targets are levels against yourself, not if you are parrying for someone else. I'd also assume there should be at least a small penalty involved.
-Matt
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Re: Parrying not your own attacker

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

Short answer, yes you can do this.

Your ground-rules sound fair, though an auto-parry may even be possible if you are very close, and didn't have to parry anything leveled against yourself. Penalty would be entirely up to the GM, and should be based on things like how far you have to move to parry, which side the swing is coming from, and where your friend is in relation to yourself and the attacker. I wouldn't penalize it too heavily, under most circumstances. It's a pretty cool and cinematic thing to do, and I like encouraging that kind of behavior and outside-the-box thinking in my games.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

I'd say yes but it would take uo one of your attacks. If the GM does not agree with me then (the gm's an idiot :p) at the least you should forfeit the right to parry the person/monster that is attacking you for that melee.
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would allow it, but, like others, require it to take up one of your attacks... unless you're in a formation where your shield can closely cover them.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Again Id use an attack to do it successful or not. I wouldnt allow any auto parry.

Its a good way to get some extra xp to as it would count as an action that may save another characters life.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
GMDijarian
Explorer

Unread post by GMDijarian »

I also have a question having to do with this subject, I hope it is ok for me to post my question here as well.

Imagine the player characters get split up somehow in a dark and fog filled forest.
Because of this one character gets pitted up against 3 enemies. Each of the enemies are orcs and will be looked at as O1, O2, and O3. The player is an Elven Longbowman and will be looked at as E1.

E1 has 3 attacks and a ROF of 2.
O1, O2, and O3 all have 2 attacks.

E1 goes first shooting an arrow at O1 and doing 2D6 damage.
O1 then attacks with a sword, but is parried by E1.
02 and 03 (in turn) then attack E1 before it is his turn to attack.
Does E1 get to parry both of these attacks as well?

I know all 9 total attacks take 15 seconds so would the elf be able to parry these attacks?

Just wondering..

Thanks
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes you can parry an opponent attacking someone else. But, off the top of my head, the rules don't cover this.

However, I would limit it to parrying in defense of someone with in about 10' of your char (or the attack passes through that 10'). And it takes an APM to parry like this.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

GMDijarian wrote:I also have a question having to do with this subject, I hope it is ok for me to post my question here as well.

Imagine the player characters get split up somehow in a dark and fog filled forest.
Because of this one character gets pitted up against 3 enemies. Each of the enemies are orcs and will be looked at as O1, O2, and O3. The player is an Elven Longbowman and will be looked at as E1.

I know all 9 total attacks take 15 seconds so would the elf be able to parry these attacks?

Just wondering..

Thanks

Yes. So long as he can see all of them (and, if they're smart, they'll surround him quickly, while he'll get somewhere they're less able to surround him), he can try to parry all of them.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

GMDijarian wrote:I also have a question having to do with this subject, I hope it is ok for me to post my question here as well.

Yes he can parry all the attacks he is aware of (in the fog I would make them prowl to see if they can sneak up behind him which if successful he wouldnt be able to parry a sneak attack).

E1 has fired an arrow at point blank range it would seem as O1 attacked with a sword immediate after. That means E1 would be parrying with his longbow in hand.

Just wondering..

Thanks
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”