arc/team themes

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

znbrtn
Hero

arc/team themes

Unread post by znbrtn »

i'm trying to work out a power/naming theme to tie together a group of hypothetical characters, but i A) don't want to use one that's been done before, and B)can't seem to get my brain working, so i'd like to see what others can think of.
for examples of where to start and ruling out those that are not possibilities, here is a short list of themes that do *not* work:
elements:frankly, it's been done to death. maybe an add-on, but nothing more.
animals in general: same as above, really.
specific sub-sets of animals: fish, birds, big cats, insects, spiders, so on.
playing cards: card suits, card values, card royalty
the tarot: same subsets and reasons as above.
musical groups and songs: may not seem like it's been done to death, but to anyone that keeps up with jojo's bizarre adventure will know otherwise.

and with that, i wait to see what you fine forumgoers can come up with. :D
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: arc/team themes

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Sports team themes are rarely done. You might try something like a team of hockey or baseball style characters.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Sports team themes are rarely done. You might try something like a team of hockey or baseball style characters.

i would likely go more for each character having a different sport as their theme; that's still a pretty good idea though.

another couple that i thought up that would be possibilities:
types of plants, most likely flowers
sort of weird, but types of vehicles, like car, truck, bus, etc.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

znbrtn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Sports team themes are rarely done. You might try something like a team of hockey or baseball style characters.

i would likely go more for each character having a different sport as their theme; that's still a pretty good idea though.

another couple that i thought up that would be possibilities:
types of plants, most likely flowers
sort of weird, but types of vehicles, like car, truck, bus, etc.

Types of Trees goes along with the flowers thing.
You could also do them after planets in the solar system or the zodiac, but zodiac characters have been done to death, too.
Possibly make them model themselves after a pantheon of gods.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

How about teams based on the following...

the 4 winds

each member taking a name from a Gems.

Movie monsters or characters.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

gaby wrote:Movie monsters or characters.

Movie monster groups are overly done, IMO.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Each member take a name of a edged weapon and ther team name is the blades.

a Military theme.

the Brain trust each member have a Psi-powers.

A Fantasy/Faerie tales group.

a holiday group

the seven sins.

A National group

A Court of law group.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

How about an era themed group, with each member embodying a specific era of human history.
For example:
You could have an Industrial Age steampunk themed hardware type
A medeival knight type
An Egyptian Pharoah type
A Roman themed hero
A cowboy themed Hardware Weapons type
A 1950's/1960's greaser themes hardware: mechanical
A Revolutionary War themed hero
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

gmapprentice wrote:yish you guys work fast.. i'll see what i come up with.
how about character themes/groups based on objects? or emotions?

objects work, but it would have to be a specific sub-set of objects to really work, i think. gaby's edge weapons idea is a good example.
i'm hesitant to use emotions, because such designations kind of railroad a character either directly into or directly away from their designated stereotype.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

gmapprentice wrote:fine by me... feel free to use or ignore my suggestions.

i don't mean to put you down or anything; just to refine your ideas.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Further to the sports team ideas: an old team I made up were the 'Olympians', with magic 'weapons' - Javelin, Discus, Shot and Hammer. Other athletics based characters could also work (Marathon, Sprinter etc.).

I recently made up a supervillain team who were all 'Agents of Chaos'. A quick glance at a thesaurus and I came up with the characters of Anarchy, Bedlam, Mayhem and Pandemonium. The thesaurus is your friend. :-D
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Kevin McIntyre
Wanderer
Comment: No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Unread post by Kevin McIntyre »

Without realizing it, this just helped me tons with throwing an organized group at my players. I love the Chaos group and the Olympian themed group.
When choosing the lesser of two evils, I pick the one I've never done before!
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Kevin McIntyre wrote:Without realizing it, this just helped me tons with throwing an organized group at my players. I love the Chaos group and the Olympian themed group.

hehe, glad to hear. this thread is for everyone's benefit, and there's the proof. :D
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

How about a Gambing Theme

Each member take a name from a Game of Chance,like Slots,Roulette,lottery and so on.

A Tools theme,A Drinks theme,theatre theme.
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

I have a supervillain team that was inspired by the bit bad-guy from The Incredibles: Bomb Voyage.

Need a team name, but you can have:

Hiroshima: Self-Detonation and Control Radiation
C-4: Multiple Selves (3 copies), Teleport, Detonation
Mr. Bombastic: Charge Object with Explosive Energy, Energy Spheres, Fireworks
Bomb Voyage (Don't know if this'd be a conversion, seeing as how he's only in the movie for a couple minutes): Weapons Expert centered around explosives and demolitions
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

How about characters from a Faerietales or book like Alice in Wonderland or the Wizard of OZ.

Hey how about we try to put a Power Catagory with a name of a Faerie tale,s characters?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gaby wrote:How about characters from a Faerietales or book like Alice in Wonderland or the Wizard of OZ.

Hey how about we try to put a Power Catagory with a name of a Faerie tale,s characters?

I did ones from the Wizard of Oz once for the occupants of an apartment complex who had mutant/super powers- The Yellow Brick Apartments on Oz Road.
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

I'm surprised noone said the Signs of the Zodiac, or perhaps the Chinese Zodiac.. This opens up a lot of different possibilities (Animal/supernatural animals for chinese Zodiac)

Zodiac
- Aries the ram - the Agrarian Worker (works the land also known as the God of War) - natural combat ability??
- Taurus the bull - the "Steer of Heaven" - could be supernaturally strong
- Gemini the Twins - Twins (need I say more?) - Gestalt heroes, Psychic Union (a la Stars and Stripes - Villains Unlimited), Energy Doppleganger, Multiple Lives etc etc...
- Cancer the crab - Water powers, radiation powers (actually GIVES cancer), armor powers etc..
- Leo the lion - Animal Metamorphosis, Divine Aura etc (He is the King of the jungle after all)
- Virgo the virgin - Sorry - I got nuthin' (nothing I dare repeat here), maybe psionics a healer of somesort or perhaps magic??
- Libra the scales - maybe his/her powers are centered around evening the playing field - negate super powers, borrow power etc..
- Scorpio the scorpion - Insect powers scorpion, adhesion, etc..
- Saggitarius the Centaur Archer - targetting, weapons mastery (bow) etc
- Capricorn the goat (or sea-goat) - healer (provided sustenance to Zeus)
- Aquarius the water bearer - With a name like Aquarius, he'd BETTER have water powers
- Pisces the fish(es) - "According to one Greek myth, Pisces represents the fish into which Aphrodite and her son Eros transformed in order to escape the fire god Typhon; they are tied together with a cord on their tails, to make sure they do not lose one another." So, perhaps teleportation (good to get out of trouble), etc..

The Chinese Zodiac presents all sorts of wonderful differnt options for you. All 12 are based on different animals, but that doesn't necessarily mean that their powers need to be animal based, as all of these animals represent personality traits.

From Wikipedia

1. Rat - 鼠 (Yang, 1st Trine, Fixed Element Water): Forthright, tenacious, intense, meticulous, charismatic, sensitive, hardworking, industrious, charming, eloquent, sociable, artistic, shrewd. Can be manipulative, vindictive, self-destructive, mendacious, venal, obstinate, critical, over-ambitious, ruthless, intolerant, scheming.
2. Ox - 牛 (Water buffalo in Vietnam) (Yin, 2nd Trine, Fixed Element Water): Dependable, ambitious, calm, methodical, born leader, patient, hardworking, conventional, steady, modest, logical, resolute, tenacious. Can be stubborn, narrow-minded, materialistic, rigid, demanding.
3. Tiger - 虎 (Yang, 3rd Trine, Fixed Element Wood): Unpredictable, rebellious, colorful, powerful, passionate, daring, impulsive, vigorous, stimulating, sincere, affectionate, humanitarian, generous. Can be restless, reckless, impatient, quick-tempered, obstinate, selfish, aggressive, unpredictable, moody.
4. Rabbit - 兔 (Cat in Vietnam) (Yin, 4th Trine, Fixed Element Wood): Gracious, good friend, kind, sensitive, soft-spoken, amiable, elegant, reserved, cautious, artistic, thorough, tender, self-assured, shy, astute, compassionate, flexible. Can be moody, detached, superficial, self-indulgent, opportunistic, stubborn.
5. Dragon - 龍 (Yang, 1st Trine, Fixed Element Wood): Magnanimous, stately, vigorous, strong, self-assured, proud, noble, direct, dignified, jealous, eccentric, intellectual, fiery, passionate, decisive, pioneering, artistic, generous, loyal. Can be tactless, arrogant, imperious, tyrannical, demanding, intolerant, dogmatic, violent, impetuous, brash.
6. Snake - 蛇 (Yin, 2nd Trine, Fixed Element Fire): Deep thinker, wise, mystic, graceful, soft-spoken, sensual, creative, prudent, shrewd, elegant, cautious, responsible, calm, strong, constant, purposeful. Can be loner, bad communicator, possessive, hedonistic, self-doubting, distrustful, mendacious, suffocating, cold.
7. Horse or also Stallion - 馬 (Yang, 3rd Trine, Fixed Element Fire): Cheerful, popular, quick-witted, changeable, earthy, perceptive, talkative, agile - mentally and physically, magnetic, intelligent, astute, flexible, open-minded. Can be fickle, arrogant, childish, anxious, rude, gullible, stubborn.
8. Goat, or Sheep or Ram - 羊 (Yin, 4th Trine, Fixed Element Fire): Righteous, sincere, sympathetic, mild-mannered, shy, artistic, creative, gentle, compassionate, understanding, mothering, determined, peaceful, generous, seeks security. Can be moody, indecisive, over-passive, worrier, pessimistic, over-sensitive, complainer, weak-willed.
9. Monkey - 猴 (Yang, 1st Trine, Fixed Element Metal): Inventor, motivator, improviser, quick-witted, inquisitive, flexible, innovative, problem solver, self-assured, sociable, artistic, polite, dignified, competitive, objective, factual, intellectual. Can be egotistical, vain, selfish, reckless, snobbish, deceptive, manipulative, cunning, jealous, suspicious.
10. Rooster - 雞 (Yin, 2nd Trine, Fixed Element Metal): Acute, neat, meticulous, organized, self-assured, decisive, conservative, critical, perfectionist, alert, zealous, practical, scientific, responsible. Can be over zealous and critical, puritanical, egotistical, abrasive, opinionated, given to empty bravado.
11. Dog - 狗 (Yang, 3rd Trine, Fixed Element Metal): Honest, intelligent, straightforward, loyal, sense of justice and fair play, attractive, amicable, unpretentious, sociable, open-minded, idealistic, moralistic, practical, affectionate, sensitive, easy going. Can be cynical, lazy, cold, judgmental, pessimistic, worrier, stubborn, quarrelsome.
12. Pig - 亥 (Wild boar in Japan and Elephant in Northern Thailand) (Yin, 4th Trine, Fixed Element Water): Honest, gallant, sturdy, sociable, peace-loving, patient, loyal, hard-working, trusting, sincere, calm, understanding, thoughtful, scrupulous, passionate, intelligent. Can be naïve, over-reliant, self-indulgent, gullible, fatalistic, materialistic.

Lots of choices in there for your game I would imagine. And these could be some pretty large teams if you so chose. 12 members on a team might be too much to keep track of, so I would suggest you pare things down and pick the 5 or 6 that best suit your needs.
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
novatomato
Wanderer

Unread post by novatomato »

how about historical figures? for a group of heroes you could get. Da Vinci, Clausewitz, Tesla etc.
Or literary figures; Don Quixote, Gulliver, Holmes, etc.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I'm currently assembling an NPC group with each member based on one of The Seven Deadly Sins. Each one alone is dangerous, but together they should strike fear into the hearts of heroes.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

YOu could try a color/rainbow themed team, it has been done a couple of time w but not that many.
OR perhaps a "Forces" themed team?
Gravity/ Mantic/ electrical/ entropy[decay, necluer weak force], and atomic attraction-binding[nuclear strong].
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

I think a team based on Santa's reindeer (name-wise, not appearance-wise) would be fun.

Dasher
Dancer
Prancer
Vixen
Comet
Cupid
Donner
Blitzen

:D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Her0man0 »

how about band names and songs

power puff girls did an inspired Beetles theme episode.

all the bad guys got together and were called the beat alls and the entire episode was in beatle lyrics if i remember right.

about a decade ago when i was in highschool i did a Metallica theme named after the metallica albums

And Justice for All
Ride the Lightning
Black album
Load
Reload
etc....etc...
Hound
Wanderer

Unread post by Hound »

For something different how about a theme on different types of comedy?

Examples can be:

Slapstick- Physical powers, like bulletproof or indestructible, or even zombie flesh

Highbrow- Psionic powers like Bio-manipulation or Mental Stun (OW! The puns!)

Satire- Copy Super powers, imitation powers and things like Enlarge Body Parts

Vaudeville- Multiple selves (your own Chorus line?)

Black/Gallows Humor- Darkness powers

Silly/Cartoon/Clown Humor- Control Static Electricity, Glowbug, Energy Expulsion water blast
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I was recently inspired to make an unlikely team of bounty hunters whose main theme is that they are short in stature, thus people tend to underestimate them. I call them Lilliput Inc. I also borrow from other settings to incorporate beings not normally used to this world as Aliens.

Damjat Singh: Ancient Master focusing in Thai Kick Boxing, 4'11"
Bullet Ant: Experiment with Shrink, Gravity Manipulation and Disruptive Touch, can shrink to a speck.
Tarantula Hawk: Mega Mutant with Flight: Insect, EE: Light, Tentacles of Hair, Super Bounce and Venomous Stinger: Paralysis. Must transform to use powers, and when T-Hawk stings someone, it feels like something is moving around inside the victim.
Korudon Creed: Nuhr Dwarf Rune Maker, pirate with magic weapons.
Hop-Frog: Gnome Physical training character focusing on speed and agility.
Banger: Terlin disguised as a child, focusing on magic and weapons to bind their prey.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Hound wrote:For something different how about a theme on different types of comedy?

Vaudeville- Multiple selves (your own Chorus line?)

Funny. I'm currently playing in a 1940's Champion's game, and my character is a magician named Vaudeville. :D

I had a friend who created a master villain in another game, who used goofy cartoon booby-traps as his main theme. He was called The Comedian.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”