Need Some Inspiration! :(

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Need Some Inspiration! :(

Unread post by Gazirra »

I'm running an After the Bomb game tonight, but I have very little in the way of an adventure planned.

I have a couple of ideas, one of which is from these boards.

First idea is a mission to explore Mesozoicland ^_^ Basically, a boat trip down along the east coast, then into the Caribbean. Problems with this idea include no boat stats, none of my players have the Swimming skill (although one IS a Colossal Squid), and I don't know if this is appropriate for first level PCs.

The other idea involves my usual staples of interdimensional/time-traveling madness. I was thinking of sending the PCs somehow back into the historical past... that's all I have for that idea.

My GMing style is usually to have a vague idea and then to run with it :)
The players include a Komodo Dragon, a Colossal Squid swordsman (8 limbs with Multi-Arm Co-ordination AND Paired Weapons! O.o;; ), an Elephant (who, as the player states "never forgets.. to KILL!"), an Orangutan based on Dr. Zaius, a gunslinging Wolf, and maybe a Rhinoceros with a .50 machine gun.

Help would be appreciated :)
Rali
Hero

Re: Need Some Inspiration! :(

Unread post by Rali »

Gazirra wrote:My GMing style is usually to have a vague idea and then to run with it :)
Best way of running a game with most players. Especially with a group that includes...

Gazirra wrote:a Colossal Squid swordsman (8 limbs with Multi-Arm Co-ordination AND Paired Weapons! O.o;; )
*facepalm*
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*
*facepalm*

8p lol
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Gazirra wrote:First idea is a mission to explore Mesozoicland ^_^ Basically, a boat trip down along the east coast, then into the Caribbean. Problems with this idea include no boat stats, none of my players have the Swimming skill (although one IS a Colossal Squid), and I don't know if this is appropriate for first level PCs.

this is really more of a campaign idea, as you'd have to game out how the PC's get from whereever they are down to cuba..including finding a boat and crew to take them there, and various stops and encounters that occur on the trip. by the end of it, the player's probably wouldn't be first level, more like 2nd through 4th.. but you'd need a cool campaign idea once they get there, so they can adventure around the island for some time...

The other idea involves my usual staples of interdimensional/time-traveling madness. I was thinking of sending the PCs somehow back into the historical past... that's all I have for that idea.

perhaps you can do this without actually having them go anywhere? pre-crash theme parks could be a way to have an adventure occur in a quasi-historical enviroment, especially if you use robotic reinactors..but there is also virtual reality you could play around with. (like maybe they find a pre-crash survival shelter, where all the people inside have been put in stasis and are living out lives virtually?)

of course, you could also look into the roadhogs book, and use the adventure down into texas...which is a quasi-western type adventure you could pull.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

Fun stuff... now the elephant's player suggested a crime syndicate game... sheesh
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

This is an idea that I did in Rifts but it works for any game in which your group is willing to travel long distances. It's more of a campaign idea but can provide an excuse for a change of scenery and adventure that will last for months. Here is the premise:

The group obtains an orb or a medallion with an orb in it. The orbs are the size of large sized marbles or golf balls.

They will notice that the orb has 5-10 or more (your choice) beams emanating from the center to the edge of the orb. The beams stay pointed in the same direction no matter which way the orb turn. The beams, they find out throughout the campaign, point to all the other orbs in the world at all times. But they find out that their orb is tracked by all of the other orbs as well. They all reference each other. When more and more orbs are together, the laser lines of the others will combine into a thicker line to let the other orbs know that there are some already together. So the more they own, the bigger the target they will be for others who seek the orbs as well.

As they gain more orbs, they will notice that their skills are increased by +2% and combat stats are enhanced by +1 per orb that they posses and are in the influence of (100 meter radius).

They must collect all of the orbs or medallions to save someone, acquire a new weapon, acquire information, activate a time machine. It could be from a statue that they discover while trying to seek an old underground bunker or whatever you chose. Whatever the reason, it must be compelling; something that they want or need enough to endure the pain of the adventures. Otherwise, they'll give up (trust me).

The orbs fit together or fit in a statue or other device that the group either knows about or is yet to be discovered when all the orbs are gathered.

The other medallions or orbs are found in other places that you design. Each area can provide fun side adventures. Some location ideas might be:
A rich collector in Canada
A religious artifact in India
Sunk at the bottom of the Caribbean sea on a pirate ship
An ancient temple (Indiana Jones or tomb raider style)
Inside a pharaoh’s tomb in Egypt
Part of a cathedral statue in Europe
The top of a shaman's staff along the Arctic Circle
With another group or two that are chasing the same goal
A trophy to a gang leader on the US Pacific Coast

Remember, they won't know of the location situations until they get to the basic place. They will have to recon and plan how they're going to take the item or buy it.

The first encounter will be days after they find the orb where they are attacked by another group who has an orb. They will discover that others are looking for them. They must get the orb from the group (or lose it only to track the group later). This encounter is where they will be able to find the clues of what they need to do. They will notice that the orbs track each other. They can use them to triangulate the other orbs. If they see the lines moving in their position, it means that the orb is moving by its owner. They will be attacked by others who understand the objects. Heck, they could have an unseen rival who is gathering them too and in some cases been quicker than them. Someone who is powerful, cunning and dangerous. Someone who maybe they only meet in person at the end. They could encounter his/her henchmen all along the trips and not know them until it's too late.

Optional: If you need ways to give inspiration, clues or warnings, you can have some or all of the members of the group who sleep within range of the orbs have dreams of the other orbs. Or have dreams of danger, warnings, ideas, information, etc. More than one of them can have the same dream to make it more compelling. You can throw them off by only one of them having dreams and feelings. Is he simply having vivid imaginations, is he more sensitive to suggestion or is he just hallucinating? You chose which answer fits which situation. You could mislead them or save them.

Anyway, this is the premise. I think it fits your GM-ing style. It's the way I do things too. Just take an idea and go with it as the game progresses. Take this idea and run with it if you want.
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

zor_prime1 wrote:This is an idea that I did in Rifts but it works for any game in which your group is willing to travel long distances. It's more of a campaign idea but can provide an excuse for a change of scenery and adventure that will last for months. Here is the premise:

The group obtains an orb or a medallion with an orb in it. The orbs are the size of large sized marbles or golf balls.

They will notice that the orb has 5-10 or more (your choice) beams emanating from the center to the edge of the orb. The beams stay pointed in the same direction no matter which way the orb turn. The beams, they find out throughout the campaign, point to all the other orbs in the world at all times. But they find out that their orb is tracked by all of the other orbs as well. They all reference each other. When more and more orbs are together, the laser lines of the others will combine into a thicker line to let the other orbs know that there are some already together. So the more they own, the bigger the target they will be for others who seek the orbs as well.

As they gain more orbs, they will notice that their skills are increased by +2% and combat stats are enhanced by +1 per orb that they posses and are in the influence of (100 meter radius).

They must collect all of the orbs or medallions to save someone, acquire a new weapon, acquire information, activate a time machine. It could be from a statue that they discover while trying to seek an old underground bunker or whatever you chose. Whatever the reason, it must be compelling; something that they want or need enough to endure the pain of the adventures. Otherwise, they'll give up (trust me).

The orbs fit together or fit in a statue or other device that the group either knows about or is yet to be discovered when all the orbs are gathered.

The other medallions or orbs are found in other places that you design. Each area can provide fun side adventures. Some location ideas might be:
A rich collector in Canada
A religious artifact in India
Sunk at the bottom of the Caribbean sea on a pirate ship
An ancient temple (Indiana Jones or tomb raider style)
Inside a pharaoh’s tomb in Egypt
Part of a cathedral statue in Europe
The top of a shaman's staff along the Arctic Circle
With another group or two that are chasing the same goal
A trophy to a gang leader on the US Pacific Coast

Remember, they won't know of the location situations until they get to the basic place. They will have to recon and plan how they're going to take the item or buy it.

The first encounter will be days after they find the orb where they are attacked by another group who has an orb. They will discover that others are looking for them. They must get the orb from the group (or lose it only to track the group later). This encounter is where they will be able to find the clues of what they need to do. They will notice that the orbs track each other. They can use them to triangulate the other orbs. If they see the lines moving in their position, it means that the orb is moving by its owner. They will be attacked by others who understand the objects. Heck, they could have an unseen rival who is gathering them too and in some cases been quicker than them. Someone who is powerful, cunning and dangerous. Someone who maybe they only meet in person at the end. They could encounter his/her henchmen all along the trips and not know them until it's too late.

Optional: If you need ways to give inspiration, clues or warnings, you can have some or all of the members of the group who sleep within range of the orbs have dreams of the other orbs. Or have dreams of danger, warnings, ideas, information, etc. More than one of them can have the same dream to make it more compelling. You can throw them off by only one of them having dreams and feelings. Is he simply having vivid imaginations, is he more sensitive to suggestion or is he just hallucinating? You chose which answer fits which situation. You could mislead them or save them.

Anyway, this is the premise. I think it fits your GM-ing style. It's the way I do things too. Just take an idea and go with it as the game progresses. Take this idea and run with it if you want.

Sounds kinda like Dragonball ^_^;
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Gazirra wrote:

Oh really? :(

I'm not familiar with Dragon ball. I thought I was being original. :frust:
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

zor_prime1 wrote:
Gazirra wrote:

Oh really? :(

I'm not familiar with Dragon ball. I thought I was being original. :frust:

Perfectly OK :)
One of my favorite NPCs is based on Mega Man, BTW :)
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Thanks for your kind words. :)
I can say that I've gathered a lot of inspiration from places. I just don't like to be too close to the original, at least where it's a major part of the plot. Characters based off of other ones are fine by me. They help make it more real for me and provides an archtype. It was frustrating for me when I came up with a good idea and my players said, "This is just like that movie/book/episode/whatever. I think I know what's going on now."

Grrr.

I've heard that pretty much all new ideas are just recreations or similar to ones that have been thought of already. I refuse to believe that. I think I've managed to muster a few original concepts. But I'm sure all I have to do is do some research and become dissapointed.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

zor_prime1 wrote:I'm sure all I have to do is do some research and become dissapointed.

Ignorance is bliss...
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”