CS Hypothetical: The Rift

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

CS Hypothetical: The Rift

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Ok, the Rift in St. Louis opens. Guns are trained on the entryway, the noses of dog boys twitch in anticipation. The Rift quivers... and divulges a CS armored platoon. They look tensely across the field... and then collapse, exhausted, scared, and horribly relieved.

No one smells weird, once taken away from the ley line. Mind probes show them to all be CS soldiers, through and through. Serial numbers are run. All are valid numbers... but none have any entries into the system. Valid-looking, and the Platoon Lt. and Sgt. can give proper codes and everything. But it's like these people never existed (and I'm talking never... not even "were wiped out except for a few highly placed people.")

What's the CS's SOP?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: CS Hypothetical: The Rift

Unread post by Mack »

They execute Omega plan Ackbar:
Spoiler:
It's a trap!

Quaranteened and interrogation to follow. Given your description, I'm guessing they're from the future, in which case the CS would document everything the lost platoon can remember and see if any of it comes true.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Unread post by psam_rage »

CS mets CS... that sounds interesting.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Space Marine wrote::twisted:
Maybe a better yet idea, what if one fo the solldiers at the gate is one of the soldiers returned via the gate??
:eek: :eek:

That sounds like a party.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Mack wrote:They execute Omega plan Ackbar:
Spoiler:
It's a trap!

Quaranteened and interrogation to follow. Given your description, I'm guessing they're from the future, in which case the CS would document everything the lost platoon can remember and see if any of it comes true.

The future, or an alternate universe CS, with a P.O.D. (point of divergence) far enough back that it'd result in differences in population (or at least population that's in the army).

Hmm, the CS used to be less hostile to mages, right? So if the POD is back that far, then this could conceivably be a platoon from a CS that allows magic if certain key events played out differently. They might even have mages in their ranks and not know why these other CS guys are so bent out of shape over it.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Overlord Rikonius wrote:
Mack wrote:They execute Omega plan Ackbar:
Spoiler:
It's a trap!

The future, or an alternate universe CS, with a P.O.D. (point of divergence) far enough back that it'd result in differences in population (or at least population that's in the army).

Hmm, the CS used to be less hostile to mages, right? So if the POD is back that far, then this could conceivably be a platoon from a CS that allows magic if certain key events played out differently. They might even have mages in their ranks and not know why these other CS guys are so bent out of shape over it.

No alternate CS. Rifts Earth is too much implied by the books to be a "unique" dimension, the type that dont have alternate or mirror dimensions.

Most probably that CS platoon is from the future or worst, erased from the system by a computer error (it can happens you know). The key thing is: Where have they been? What they have see?
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Maybe they went in and someone deliberately erased them. That would be a great start for a game.

Part One: Escape from your own allies

Part Two: Find new allies who can help you

Part Three: Find out who erased you from the system and take them down.

Part Four: You can't go home again. What now?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mark Hall wrote:Ok, the Rift in St. Louis opens. Guns are trained on the entryway, the noses of dog boys twitch in anticipation. The Rift quivers... and divulges a CS armored platoon. They look tensely across the field... and then collapse, exhausted, scared, and horribly relieved.

No one smells weird, once taken away from the ley line. Mind probes show them to all be CS soldiers, through and through. Serial numbers are run. All are valid numbers... but none have any entries into the system. Valid-looking, and the Platoon Lt. and Sgt. can give proper codes and everything. But it's like these people never existed (and I'm talking never... not even "were wiped out except for a few highly placed people.")

What's the CS's SOP?

I could see this happening quite easily ..

Dr. Bradford has access to a Rift opening Technologies at Lone Star .. He could very well make a platoon sized element and threw psionic's put anything in thier heads that he wants. (To include all pertinent information) And since thier clones of other people in the CS they will be in fact Human .. and will not register anything other then that to the dogboy's ..

Upon mind reading an mind bonding with them they will be given the information Dr. Bradford wants the CS to have .. (remember psionically induced information)

Something like thats happens and Dr. Bradford would be able to take over the CS with mis-Information. By saying certain key things will happen .. then Prophetically .. Making them happen. (Threw use of merc's or anything of that nature)

I personally think this would be a near 100% Fullproof way for Dr. Bradford to litterally take over the CS.

:twisted:
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Balabanto wrote:Maybe they went in and someone deliberately erased them. That would be a great start for a game.

Part One: Escape from your own allies

Part Two: Find new allies who can help you

Part Three: Find out who erased you from the system and take them down.

Part Four: You can't go home again. What now?

After all, you can't live your life under a Burn Notice...
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Rahmota
Adventurer

Unread post by Rahmota »

I'll have to agree that by the book the CS would probably shoot first then question any survivors as anythign coming throuhg the rift is considered evil nasty and gonna kill you,hump you and eat you, hopefully in that order. Its not likethe CS would have a GDO with them or any desire to see whats on the other side of the wormhole. At least by the book.

Now in my verse it would definattely be the whole, capture, interrorgate, quarentine and then if need be reintegrate or execute if need be. But ti wouldnt matter if an exact copy of general storman norman came out he would be lucky to be peeling potatos at the most podunk out of the way base they coudl find as he would definately not be given the keys to the castle.
TANSTAAFL!
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Rahmota wrote:I'll have to agree that by the book the CS would probably shoot first then question any survivors as anythign coming throuhg the rift is considered evil nasty and gonna kill you,hump you and eat you, hopefully in that order. Its not likethe CS would have a GDO with them or any desire to see whats on the other side of the wormhole. At least by the book.

Now in my verse it would definattely be the whole, capture, interrorgate, quarentine and then if need be reintegrate or execute if need be. But ti wouldnt matter if an exact copy of general storman norman came out he would be lucky to be peeling potatos at the most podunk out of the way base they coudl find as he would definately not be given the keys to the castle.

Also, I would guess that, if they did have duplicates, the CS would likely implant some identifier in them, probably set up so it can't be removed without killing them. Just to make sure they don't do the old classic "conk their doppelganger in the back of the head and replace them" move.
Maybe a visual tattoo (on the hand or somewhere else verifiable but not too obtrusive) as well for easy visual recognition.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Mark Hall wrote:Ok, the Rift in St. Louis opens. Guns are trained on the entryway, the noses of dog boys twitch in anticipation. The Rift quivers... and divulges a CS armored platoon. They look tensely across the field... and then collapse, exhausted, scared, and horribly relieved.

What's the CS's SOP?

Start looking for hackers.
Nightmaster
Hero

Unread post by Nightmaster »

Natasha wrote:

What's the CS's SOP?

Start looking for hackers.

Agree.

The most interessing part is that they got out of the Rift "relieved" which means that either they were in some king of secret mission and where D-shifted to someplace else or they have entered a rifts in some part of NA as part of a mission.

Again the fact that they are not even registered in the system means that foul play is a work in the network of the CS. Principally if those soldiers can give directions to family members that are CS citizens or details of situations and military meetings (the Lt. and Sgt.) or people that they know inside the CS military.

Return to “Rifts®”