I'll Take That as a Compliment

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

I'll Take That as a Compliment

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

So, what's the best compliment you have received for your GMing skills.

Mine was last week when the Elven Cyber-Knight PC duked it out with the NPC Gunslinger over the NPC's new elf-maid slave (given to him by a PC, but I digress). With the Gunslinger unconcious and bleeding to death, the CK announced the girl's freedom. To which she responded "Do I not please you?" It was an eventful and fun game all around, but the highlight was "Rob. I swear I will get you for this. In this life or the next... I will find someway..." said by the Cyber-Knight's player. A bit earlier in the evening he also uttered "You bastard" to me.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
lather
Champion

Re: I'll Take That as a Compliment

Unread post by lather »

I'm a mediocre GM at best so "that was awesome" was the best compliment yet.
The PCs solved a mystery involving a supernatural graveyard and some strange locals in a remote location in a state park.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Shazam wrote:evil you are evil......

they were soooo right but the kept coming back
Why, thank you. 8)
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

Best compliment.... hmmmm.

The fact that even 5-6 years after GM-ing a PFRPG game all I have to do is simply mention certain villian's name. The response of some of the players still clench their fists and spitefully hiss, "Oooohhh. I hated that guy."

The best things about that villian were:
1) He was a decorate general. He had a whole army at his command with the King's trust.
2) No one believed the characters when they told anyone about the evil plot this villian had in motion.
3) Even though the players were one or two steps ahead of the villian in the race for new powers, the villian general used his resources to be dangerous and inconvenient.
4) They never actually met the villian. They only saw the influence of him. Luckily he didn't know who they were. He only knew what they've done to hinder his plot for power.
5) The best part of all betrayal of their trust: We played one adventure with a long time gamer friend who was visiting home for the weekend. He made a one-shot character to be their guide up to a secluded set of ruins. He fought and bled with them in the adventure. But later on, I emailed this friend and asked him if his character would assist the King's General. He agreed. This "betrayal" allowed for the villian to gain a HUGE stride in the race for the new set of abilities.
6) We had to stop playing so the villian was never stopped.

Anyway, I take it as a compliment when my players react angrily toward that villian. :D
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

i have brought two different groups of players to tears over the years. its was pretty amazing to see how involved they were in the story and npcs.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Years ago I was running a Ravenloft game, and the party was on a galleon going from one port to another. Of course it was haunted, and I played it to the hilt. All the characters ended up hiding under bunks, in large coils of rope, etc. Just because how descriptive I was in describing how the ship sounded and half heard snippets of conversations about the characters. Near in mind the characters were around 10th level. They later told me they were scared, and had their characters act appropriately.

In a different group, but still with a Ravenloft game, I had to turn people away from my door because word had spread about the game I was running. We had 9 players, and I probably turned away about half a dozen more.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

CyCo wrote:I had to turn people away from my door because word had spread about the game I was running. We had 9 players, and I probably turned away about half a dozen more.

Don't be a player hater :lol:
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

lather wrote:
CyCo wrote:I had to turn people away from my door because word had spread about the game I was running. We had 9 players, and I probably turned away about half a dozen more.

Having 9 in that campaign was already a little unwieldy, let alone having 15!! lol
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

CyCo wrote:
lather wrote:

Having 9 in that campaign was already a little unwieldy, let alone having 15!! lol
Hm. Maybe recycle players with vicious and horribly unfair death traps. One way or the other, you win. 8-)
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

best compliment: "can't imagine anyone doing a better job as GM - like, worldwide". slimo. :D
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Another GM borrowing home brewed creations of mine to use in his own game.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Misfit KotLD wrote:So, what's the best compliment you have received for your GMing skills.

I was told by someone who gamed under Wujcik that I ran an Amber game as well as he did. That compliment was only heightened when I got to play in a one shot game he ran at Dragon Con years ago.

Beyond that, my proudest moment as a GM was when I had some players being hunted in a town by some hellhounds, and at one point (I wish I could remember any of the particulars) my description of what was happening made one of the players, a full grown and completely sober man, gasp and jump in his seat.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Marrowlight wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:So, what's the best compliment you have received for your GMing skills.

I was told by someone who gamed under Wujcik that I ran an Amber game as well as he did. That compliment was only heightened when I got to play in a one shot game he ran at Dragon Con years ago.

Beyond that, my proudest moment as a GM was when I had some players being hunted in a town by some hellhounds, and at one point (I wish I could remember any of the particulars) my description of what was happening made one of the players, a full grown and completely sober man, gasp and jump in his seat.

:ok:
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

My best compliments are when players show up at my con games holding their new books that they bought in the dealer's room after playing in my demo. That's always very cool.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:"Your games are like a crack addiction, except I don't have to sell all my stuff." -- A former player.

After a big, climatic battle in a Rifts campaign, one of my players said: "Man, I've had sex that didn't come close to being that good."

One thing I've always taken as a compliment is when people feel that they can no longer stay in their seats and have to stand and pace or just stand for no reason at their seat.
I think you're Juli's favorite GM.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

"You can be my GM anytime."

I don't GM a lot (i.e., almost never), so that felt pretty good.
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

I recently started up a Rifts game with some RPG newbies, and when I asked if they would be cool with getting together weekly they settled on meeting every other day. I'm not sure I can chalk that up to my GM skills though.

Previously I got a player to fear mirrors for a while based on a BtS adventure I ran. It that it was easy for me to come up with this because I had this fear in real life for several years.

What I'm getting at is that it's the memories that you create and talk about even years later that are the greatest compliments.
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

some of my players will completely drop other games when they hear I have a new idea for a game. Though I don't know if that reflects well on me or poorly on the other GM's :D
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Natasha wrote:"You can be my GM anytime."

Is this after they tell you that you're dangerous? :)
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Overlord Rikonius wrote:
Natasha wrote:"You can be my GM anytime."

Is this after they tell you that you're dangerous? :)

Maybe. I can't understand all the blubbering they do when I have the gun to their head asking am I a good GM. :thwak:
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

When I was in college my dormmates (all 18 of them) became gamers that year. Only 1 had touched a RPG before. Even the 4 guys pledging for frats would skip their frat parties for gaming. That was 17 years ago and it was freakin Hero Quest with a 10 page Role-Play supplement I came up with :P

More recently; One of my long time friends and players (In BTS-2) got names messed up (I knew he would and even wrote the name down to give him a chance) and he took the game on a 3 hour long wild goose chase. When he finally read the name correctly the colour drained from his face and his character told another player's character "I just lost my job" (he was a police detective and spent a night putting the wrong people in protective custody). Another player looked at me and said, "You knew this the entire time and kept a straight face for 3 hours?!?!?! I worked hard that night not to give the "GM grin". When asked why I let the farce go on so long, I simply asked, "Was it fun?" answer was a definate yes.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

ZorValachan wrote:When I was in college my dormmates (all 18 of them) became gamers that year. Only 1 had touched a RPG before. Even the 4 guys pledging for frats would skip their frat parties for gaming. That was 17 years ago and it was freakin Hero Quest with a 10 page Role-Play supplement I came up with :P

I can think of a couple frat parties I'd have skipped to play a Heroes Quest/Quest for Glory rpg.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

t0m wrote:i have brought two different groups of players to tears over the years. its was pretty amazing to see how involved they were in the story and npcs.

You know you're doing something right whenever the description of an NPC's funeral brings tears to your players' eyes... and then some of the heartfelt actions of their characters nearly brought tears to mine. That room felt like the funeral of a friend rather than the death of a character that only existed on a sheet of paper and in our imaginations. I'll never forget that for as long as I live.

Other than that, various sentiments expressed by my players over the years (including the regular utterances of "***hole" in my direction), having a player drive hundreds of miles almost once a month for a few months to play in my HU2 game, having players who've been out of gaming for a year or more still speak fondly of my games, and having one Mr. Kevin Siembieda tell me that I'm an excellent GM. :D
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

The best compliment I ever received was having my group enthusiastically return each weekend to let me run for them.

Then there was the adopted utterance of "worst....GM......EVER!" due to my deeply unexpected twists and sudden betrayals. I had a player weep frustrated tears as he listened to his NPC love interest being murdered solely due to her connection to him as he frantically rushed to try and save her. He failed. It was epic.

Best smoke break afterwards though! :D
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg

Return to “G.M.s Forum”