What fiction you want to see after Hammer of the Forge?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What fiction you want to see after Hammer of the Forge?

Unread post by gaby »

The Phase world,s story Hammer of the Forge,ends in Rifter 44.

What Game do you want the next story from?

I will love it if it comes from Heroes Unlimited.
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Re: What fiction you want to see after Hammer of the Forge?

Unread post by slappy »

Is it seriously ending next issue? I know people have been wanting that, but I will really miss it and am sad to see it go. I was really hoping they were going to get around to the Lord of the Deep like they alluded to all the way back in chapter 1.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Well I'd like somewthing more gritty like Systems Failure

Splicers would be okay as well
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I'd love to see KG do more of his HU short story. In fact I'd love to see a HU type comic
appear in the Rifter.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I'm going to miss it! I enjoyed the story over the years!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

None!

Fill that space with more gaming material. Rifts is not a fiction world, so to speak. Forgotten Realms made a lot of money on those novels, but that doesn't mean that Rifts has the same kind of opportunity there. If the magazine is only going to be quarterly, give us more material to use in our games. I'd prefer fluff over crunch here (Information on undescribed areas of the world, Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, etc).
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

Mine. I published a short story that appeared in Rifter #34 and #35. I could easily write a few sequels.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Balabanto wrote:None!

Fill that space with more gaming material. Rifts is not a fiction world, so to speak. Forgotten Realms made a lot of money on those novels, but that doesn't mean that Rifts has the same kind of opportunity there. If the magazine is only going to be quarterly, give us more material to use in our games. I'd prefer fluff over crunch here (Information on undescribed areas of the world, Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, etc).

I disagree but Palladium would have to find a major publisher to help them market Rifts novels

I am curious as to why you would think that. Wod 40k WoC Blizzard have all done very well
I don't see what's intrinic about the Rifts world that would make it incompaitably with novels. Although I think they should make a darker 40k style novelization of the world.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Hammer of the Forge was an excellent read, and the author should be commended. It had me rivited & wanting the next Rifter to hurry up so I could continue reading it.

As far as new fiction, toss in a few one-shots in the interim before committing to another multi-chapter. At least one story from each line; Nightbane, AtB2, HU2, BtS, N&SS, PF, even one from System Failure. If not, toss is something from upcoming stuff like Mechanoid Space or the Minion Wars.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I want to see Jason Markers complete series of fiction set in the new west.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

If there was more fiction, I would want it to begin and finish in the same Rifter so short stories only. I skip Hammer of the Forge because I don't have all the Rifters so that's been dead space to me.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

I've always loved the Justice Machine. That might work.
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

I would like to see a Beyond the Supernatural story.
Hmm, maybe I'll write one myself.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

If ther is a H.U,s story in Rifter, What NPC,s from Century station do you want to see in it?

Or do you want to to use Npc,s from Villains Unlimited,Gramercy Island or some all New Characters made for the story it self?
The Galactus Kid

The robot team. I don't remember their name, but I loved that group of NPC's.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Aramanthus
Monk

After thinking about it. I'd like to see more gaming material in Hammers place.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

ther the Iron brigade page 136 to 145.
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Just my opinion, but long-term serialized fiction robs fans of space in which they can get their material published. Something spanning a few issues is fine, but 10+ years was ridiculous, especially since there isn't any real connection between where the thing started and (presumably) where it will end.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
The Galactus Kid

Is it ending any time soon?

Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Is it ending any time soon?

From the first post in the thread...
gaby wrote:The Phase world,s story Hammer of the Forge,ends in Rifter 44.

I would think that significantly shorter fiction would make more sense - maybe, MAYBE two issues tops to finish a story.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
The Galactus Kid

Steve President George W. Bush wrote:

lol

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Steve President George W. Bush wrote:

But how does Gaby know its ending? I haven't seen anything online in or in the last Rifter to this effect. Does he have inside information or is he just asking a hypothetical question? (I was under the impression it was the latter.)
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

I vote for: None!

I never even looked at it. I want gaming material. pleeeease. ;)
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

I would like to see more gaming material as well.

I would like to see the Hammer of the Forge primary characters statted out though.
Some would make great NPC's for our games.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
DarkwingDuk
Wanderer

Unread post by DarkwingDuk »

I would love to see a series of 4 to 6 part stories that rotate through the settings. Show them all a little love
“Illinois Nazis, I hate Illinois Nazis”
“Ummm boB isn’t that a Coalition squad?"
“Like I said, Illinois Nazi’s…….”
boB the Crazy
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I just Guest.

It will get borring if they stay only in the 3 Galaxies.

I want to see a Beyond the Supernatrual,s story.
Aramanthus
Monk

I'd like to see stats for the characters from the Hammer of the Forge story too. I'll take gaming material to replace it when it does end. Of course the shorter stories once in awhile would be cool with me.

HH....FIE
slappy
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by slappy »

I statted out every character in Hammer of the Forge a long time ago. If anyone wants them PM me an email address and I'll send them. I actually submitted them years ago, but never got a response. Of course, some things don't quite apply anymore as the series has gone on (which is why they never wanted to print them I'm sure). I'm slow on PMs so please don't be insulted if I don't respond for a few days.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

None? Not trying to be funny but I don't read that part of my rifter and haven't for years. It's just 10 to 30 pages of every rifter that's a waste for me. I'd rather have more RPG content.

Not trying to be mean. Not at all. Just honestly stating my preference.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Ah, but the stories are RPG content also. I use characters from short stories as NPCs all the time. The stories are also a good source of dialog, so all of my PCs don't end up sounding the same. At rare times, I will use a plot or a trick from a story as an adventure basis. I once based an entire SenZar campaign on the ripping off of the first SenZar novel. It helps that my players enjoy playing sci-fi, but all they ever read it fantasy. :mrgreen:
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Aramanthus
Monk

I do the same thing Lord Z. It always fun to do that sort of thing.

HH....FIE
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

When the Hammer of the Forge (finally) wraps up, those back five or six pages will all be dedicated to me.

The new instalment, Murmur's from my Mom's Basement, will showcase my incoherant ramblings and ravings on topics ranging from the state of roleplaying today, to why I hate people who tie up the line in the coffee shop by ordiering a bagel with cream cheese.

:ok:
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Braden Campbell wrote:When the Hammer of the Forge (finally) wraps up, those back five or six pages will all be dedicated to me.

The new instalment, Murmur's from my Mom's Basement, will showcase my incoherant ramblings and ravings on topics ranging from the state of roleplaying today, to why I hate people who tie up the line in the coffee shop by ordiering a bagel with cream cheese.

So... like most of your posts, then?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Mark Hall wrote:
Braden Campbell wrote:When the Hammer of the Forge (finally) wraps up, those back five or six pages will all be dedicated to me.

So... like most of your posts, then?

Yes, but with illustrations!
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm sure Braden knows artist. I mean his is both a writer and an actor. He has to know some artist to illustrate his Murmurs! :D

HH....FIE
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

It's not that another setting would be unwelcome. It's that there are already so many settings which are underdeveloped.

Here is what I would personally like to see -- more fiction with modules attached. I mean real modules, not hook-line-sinker scenarios. I've grown way too lazy as a GM to roll up every NPC, and the Palladium system requires me to do this even with the monsters. The amount of time invested to actually prepare a game is crushing. Modules with maps, monsters, and NPCs ready for play -- which don't require the GM to roll any dice or do anything other than read the darn thing before a game -- would be very welcome. I remember one BtS 1st edition adventure, 1 Systems Failure adventure, and 1 or 2 Palladium Fantasy modules that have appeared in Rifter thus far.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
Aramanthus
Monk

I have to admit that is someone creates a story they should have their main characters filled out and those characters could appear at the end of each chapter, like one or two at a time. And then at the end have a couple of pages of stat blocks for NPC's, monsters and reference numbers for equipment used. Any unique equipment stated out as the story moves along.

HH....FIE
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Does anyone here know how to contact James Cannon? An e-mail or PM address will do. I have a couple of Rifter issues that I would like him to autograph for me.

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Anything soon.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

Get rid of it as I never read them & part of the reason I don't subscribe to rifter . A big waste of space. Short stories like done in the old BL/GW Inferno! & comic strips . A continuation of the Lone Star strip if they can get Perez to do it. I vote for more RIFTS novels but even grittier like in the 40k novels. Heck I'd buy a good Palladium Fantasy novel too. A comic/GN for RIFTS or PF would be cool ,especially if Perez ... or that Freddie guy, gah! what's his last name?
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I am hoping for a BtS or a Palladium Fantasy,s story.
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Absolom wrote:

What Game do you want the next story from?

I will love it if it comes from Heroes Unlimited.

I don't think this story is ending anytime soon. Especially with Harkkonen on the loose again. YAY
I wouldlike to see the writer put out the stats on the characters in his story though, say maybe when he does write the final chapter of Hammer of the Forge. They are all pretty cool.

Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign to Palladium about The Hammer of the Forge. 1. End it soon and replace it with more gaming material or other stories and 2. Have the Author stat out the principle characters for use in fan games.

If anyone other than the Author does the stats then I fear a serious Nerfing of them.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Quantum07
Explorer

Unread post by Quantum07 »

I really only get the Rifter for the Hammer of the Forge story. I would hate to see it go. It spans so many different games.
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

A yearly anthology would be something I might buy. I don't think, however, that there is enough diverse short fiction being written currently for such a book. We need to generate and submit more of that kind of material.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i want to know if palladium has the entire story already, or if the guy is sending in installments every couple of years. because if they ave the whole thing already, they need to publish it as a novel line already.
heck, i'd love to see a multi-volume machinations of doom type series compiling what is already published alongside stats "inspired by" the story...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”