Taking it to eleven FOR SCIENCE!!!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Taking it to eleven FOR SCIENCE!!!

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Ok, so in Nekira's Japan game I'm going to be playing a rogue Scientist who is very interested in improving humanity. To this end I have started with the Genetics skill from after the Bomb/Splicers, the only problem is it starts at 30% and only goes up at 3% a level.

So at first level I have 54% in genetics, and if I'm a good little scientist and the game continues until the earth is a ball of ash in a cold barren galaxy I'll get my 98% in genetics when I make 15th level, and little fairies and unicorns will declare me the king of eternal summer because games that go on that long only happen in mythology.

So I'm looking for game legal ways to increase a skill, because this is the skill that kinda defines why my character risks his neck when he could be using his specialized skill set to make himself so rich that He hires teams of adventurers to dance for his amusement.

Here's what I have tried so far:
Computer reference Libraries (GM's guide page 186): these are handy cheap and I have one for nearly every skill I possess, if I spend some time with one I get +5% to a skill check, so I can exactly get two in hopes of a bigger bonus.

The whole skill specialization thingy in rifter #30: Nice and appropriate but as Nekira is nourished by bread made by the ground up hopes and dreams of her players she has vetoed this.

anybody else got any ideas?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: Taking it to eleven FOR SCIENCE!!!

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Try Lone Star, there's tables for gifted humans.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

I really don't know, but I'll bet that a cybernetic DNA Analyzer (pg 46 Bionic SB) could be of some use...

Hope this helps.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Misfit KotLD wrote:Try Lone Star, there's tables for gifted humans.

Well, I do admit one of my main goals is to inject myself with industrial amounts of something called "Brain Chemical", I'll keep that in mind.
mobuttu wrote:I really don't know, but I'll bet that a cybernetic DNA Analyzer (pg 46 Bionic SB) could be of some use...

Hope this helps.

Adding to my wish list...

done.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

see if you can use the ATB mutant human race instead of normal human. then you can use Bio-E to pick up the ability to read DNA with a touch. that ought to translate into some sort of bonus in using genetic engineering, since you'd be able to detect flaws and errors well before they manifest.
it's a mutant psionic, so it would likely be lost if you use cyber implants though...

the only other thing i can think of is finding some sort of portable genetic lab with computer assist. like the EGG's in ATB. then altering DNA would be a case of just feeding samples into the kit and using the computer augmented interface to play around with it.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

rat_bastard wrote:So I'm looking for game legal ways to increase a skill, because this is the skill that kinda defines why my character risks his neck when he could be using his specialized skill set to make himself so rich that He hires teams of adventurers to dance for his amusement.

Game legal? I can't think of very many. Having psionics such as mind bond can help...just get an enslaved person who already has it at 98%.

If you want some non-legal advice, I have some ideas.

Also, in rifter...41? maybe...There's an article in there that gives a good formula for experimentation I think.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

Rifter #19 has some mental skills, many of which can increase the characters IQ score, possibly leading to increased skill percentages.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Captain Shiva wrote:Rifter #19 has some mental skills, many of which can increase the characters IQ score, possibly leading to increased skill percentages.

OOH! I better pm that to Nekira...

maybe this time she'll choke on her pain-bread. :P
dark brandon
Knight

You might also wanna look under cyber-doc or body fixer. One of them might give a bigger bonus to that skill class than rogue scientist.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

dark brandon wrote:You might also wanna look under cyber-doc or body fixer. One of them might give a bigger bonus to that skill class than rogue scientist.

nope, its a science skill, the only way I can boost it is to be a Starke Spinne!

i r drunk
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Rogue_Scientist wrote:So... you want to be munchy, but the even "the munchkin fairy" thinks you've gone too far? And you'd like help thinking up a semi-legal way around it?

Is that an accurate summation? :lol:

I want to fit easily in teh munchkin faerie's definition of what her game should be but at the same time I want creative freedom. Its a respectful balance I long to achieve. I eventually want to do damn near everything available in the Eugenic heroes section of powers unlimited 2 (a invaluable book) but I want to start small.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Not true, Rat. I feed the shattered dreams of others to my cats. Thank you, you fed them for a month by yourself :)

As for leagal ways to increase the skill: It is possible to get advanced computer programs that take some of the guesswork out of genetics by getting better models. Folding@home is a good exsample of this. Granted, you'll need a supercomputer for that first :D

The proper program will give +10-+15%. A Supercomputer to run it gives +5-+20 depending on how good it is.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

rat_bastard wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:Rifter #19 has some mental skills, many of which can increase the characters IQ score, possibly leading to increased skill percentages.

OOH! I better pm that to Nekira...

maybe this time she'll choke on her pain-bread. :P

I actually allow them. one of the biggest annoyances for me is the lack of such in cannon.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

What's exactly wrong with having a skill like that at 50+% Hell, the genetic scientists we have now that spend years in likely only have it around 30%
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

IIRC, in HU you could go back to school and learn a new skill. Perhaps you could also go back in order to improve a skill you have.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Prince Artemis wrote:What's exactly wrong with having a skill like that at 50+% Hell, the genetic scientists we have now that spend years in likely only have it around 30%

cause I'm playing a scientist in one of the places on earth with advanced genetic engineering in a fictional setting where the knowledge base is better.
dark brandon
Knight

rat_bastard wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:What's exactly wrong with having a skill like that at 50+% Hell, the genetic scientists we have now that spend years in likely only have it around 30%

cause I'm playing a scientist in one of the places on earth with advanced genetic engineering in a fictional setting where the knowledge base is better.

You might also want a team. Geneticists rarely work alone, and can spend years developing something. This is no fun, but I do recommend you work out with your GM some sort of bonus when working with other Geneticists, even if they are as unskilled as you are.

Off the top of my head, for each Geneticists working with you, if they make a successful roll, can add a % to your skill roll. Maybe 1 or two. But the % are cumulative with maybe a weekly roll. For example...You want to genetically engineer it so Humans are more 'acceptant' of MOM tech. GM sets a skill penalty. Say -65%. You have 5 people working with you. Each week, each one would roll % as you would. Record the successes. lets say 2 succeed as well as you (you roll 2 times. One for "research", without penalty, then you do an overall roll, with the penalty attatched). That's maybe a +6% to your skill. Add that to your current skill of 58% to make it 64%. Not enough to even attempt to roll. But working on it another week...now 1 succeeds. You now have a +2% skill roll. Add that to the initial 6% you got last week...and now you have a total +8%. Add that to your 58%, you now have a 66%. with the 65% skill penalty, you have a 2% chance to get a success. But given a few more weeks, and a few more successes, you would eventually get this.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

dark brandon wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

You might also want a team. Geneticists rarely work alone, and can spend years developing something. This is no fun, but I do recommend you work out with your GM some sort of bonus when working with other Geneticists, even if they are as unskilled as you are.

Off the top of my head, for each Geneticists working with you, if they make a successful roll, can add a % to your skill roll. Maybe 1 or two. But the % are cumulative with maybe a weekly roll. For example...You want to genetically engineer it so Humans are more 'acceptant' of MOM tech. GM sets a skill penalty. Say -65%. You have 5 people working with you. Each week, each one would roll % as you would. Record the successes. lets say 2 succeed as well as you (you roll 2 times. One for "research", without penalty, then you do an overall roll, with the penalty attatched). That's maybe a +6% to your skill. Add that to your current skill of 58% to make it 64%. Not enough to even attempt to roll. But working on it another week...now 1 succeeds. You now have a +2% skill roll. Add that to the initial 6% you got last week...and now you have a total +8%. Add that to your 58%, you now have a 66%. with the 65% skill penalty, you have a 2% chance to get a success. But given a few more weeks, and a few more successes, you would eventually get this.

I'm a Corp Scientist so through work I have computers, a lab and possible assistants. On the down side Ill be spending allot of my time at working on my superior's experiments.
dark brandon
Knight

rat_bastard wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

I'm a Corp Scientist so through work I have computers, a lab and possible assistants. On the down side Ill be spending allot of my time at working on my superior's experiments.

Then you need to work to become the superior...
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

dark brandon wrote:Then you need to work to become the superior...

yup, but we are starting at 1st level so for a few levels I'm washing beakers for my superiors.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Floura, Fauna, creatures, mutants, party members, d-bees... there is an incredible amount of things to study.

I'm thinking of trying to get exclusive study contracts with the various super powered members of the party so that I can treat them with company resources. As well as study them for mankind's benefit and my personal profit.

I think one of the first cybernetics I develop will be a series of nanotech sensors that scan the brain so I can get as clear a picture as possible of how a Psychic's brain functions.

I really think if I can get a consenting study subject I can use Quick-flex DNA to increase the longevity of a Juicer. Basically my idea is to treat a subject with gene therapy so that a human's cardiovascular system responds to adrenaline better as well as treat human cartilage with quick-flex dna (I am assuming that Quick-flex have superior joints because of better cartilage). Then we replace the synthetic adrenaline and amphetamines in the juicer's drugs with toxic levels of synthetic Quick-flex Adrenaline, I assume that this could create a juicer that can withstand the juicer treatment for maybe another year or two.

another idea is a lab grown adrenaline gland made with a hybrid of Quick-flex Dna and a donor human's Dna that can replace a normal human's and give them short term bursts of speed (there is a version of this in the eugenic heroes section of powers unlimited two).

I also really want to see if I can use cactus people's dna to make mammals with Chloroplasts in their skin, mostly because I would like to have green lab rats, but I think it would be interesting to see if I can lower a person's dependence on food by giving them an alternate food source.
Last edited by rat_bastard on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Another idea: Mass synthesize Xiticix feromones to infiltrate a whole army inside Xiticix nest. That will be surely good for humankind and specially good for you when Chi-town or Lazlo want to buy you the formula.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

mobuttu wrote:Another idea: Mass synthesize Xiticix feromones to infiltrate a whole army inside Xiticix nest. That will be surely good for humankind and specially good for you when Chi-town or Lazlo want to buy you the formula.

better to just use it to put bombs in the hives but I see where you are going with that.

gotta add entomological medicine to the list.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

In the Cybernetics handbook there is a Design and diagnostic computer that provides a +3% to designing stuff for every 300k you put into it, I assume that my corp has a fairly good one (at least +15%) but getting server time is one of the challenges that I am looking forward to role playing. one of the cool things about having an Operator in the group is that I may be able to build one for personal use with his help (the Rogue Scientist discount on scientific gear is really handy for that sort of thing.). As it is I have access to millions of dollars worth of laboratory equipment, I just have to role play how I get lab time and how I justify its use in game.
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

First you need to capture a GeneSplicer. Then you become his lover. Then you learn all his secrets.

Barring that, you get captured by the GeneSplicers, become their *****. Then you learn all their secrets.

Either way...getting some GS lovin' is the key to ultimate power...
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Shadyslug wrote:First you need to capture a GeneSplicer. Then you become his lover. Then you learn all his secrets.

Barring that, you get captured by the GeneSplicers, become their *****. Then you learn all their secrets.

Either way...getting some GS lovin' is the key to ultimate power...

ewww?

ewww!

ewwwww.
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

I am going to agree with RB here.....EWWWW

As for the afore mentioned research skills, as the "plain ole normal" operator with a penchant for history ( :D ), I can make a computer pretty easily, given parts and time. Of course I don't know how much actual time we'll manage, but we'll see. Of course, that will have to go along with my eletric powered self-recharging perpetual motion power source that will eliminate the need for the use of nuclear material. But then my character is going to have a similar goal to the scientists of the RCSG in North America (unknowingly), create magic through technology, without mumbo jumbo. After all, it was a scientific experiment that brought the cities forward in time and space, and deposited them in Post-Rifts Earth, so why shouldn't it be possible to replicate on a smaller and less destructive scale.

Hmm, must define my skill list now.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

You might be able to use an extra OCC Related skill to give you an extra +10% for "professional" quality ala the Domestic Skills. I know that would be pushing it, but it may push you in the direction you want.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tiree wrote:You might be able to use an extra OCC Related skill to give you an extra +10% for "professional" quality ala the Domestic Skills. I know that would be pushing it, but it may push you in the direction you want.

Genetics is not something done on the kitchen counter.

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tiree wrote:You might be able to use an extra OCC Related skill to give you an extra +10% for "professional" quality ala the Domestic Skills. I know that would be pushing it, but it may push you in the direction you want.

I beg to differ! Sometimes the best genetic mixing/cooking is done in the kitchen :lol:
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Tiree wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I beg to differ! Sometimes the best genetic mixing/cooking is done in the kitchen :lol:

I wanted to make a joke about having sex on the Kitchen counter but I could not find the proper double entendre.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NOW I know why you sent me that picture of your...Assisstant ;)

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Evil Psychologist wrote:Well, it's a shame that you are no longer taking applications for the game because I am interested to see what horrific monstrosities Rat Bastard will create via mistakes and oversights.. then kill them for their possessions and experience.

I'll have a running game log as per my other one.

besides, my character is scrupulous...

Return to “Rifts®”