Federation of Magic Revised question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Federation of Magic Revised question

Unread post by DtMK »

I have the original Federation of Magic book, but am running a game with a character who has had dealings with K'Zaa and Stormspire in the past. In the new revised version, does it expand upon K'Zaa and Stormspire much? If so, what am I missing from the original? Thanks.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
DtMK
Hero

Re: Federation of Magic Revised question

Unread post by DtMK »

Anyone?
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Rogue Shadow
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Rogue Shadow »

IIRC, the difference between the two is that the spells were all taken out of the revised edition and 30 or so pages of information on Dweomer was put in. I don't believe there was any expansion to K'Zaa or Stormspire.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Yes, the 'update' was mostly about Dweomer. Mostly a quick overview of 109 PA and some details on various shops there.

One thing I noticed and maybe I missed it when reading. The 'update' stated a few times that Dweomer pretty much hates psionics, going so far as encouraging their mystics to focus on magic, not their psi-powers. I didn't see a part where it gave their reasons for this stance.

Also...why is there even a part about 'schools' for mystics? Isn't the whole point of the mystic that they cannot learn/study magic? It comes to them naturally, without study, intuitively...
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

ZorValachan wrote:Also...why is there even a part about 'schools' for mystics? Isn't the whole point of the mystic that they cannot learn/study magic? It comes to them naturally, without study, intuitively...

Mystic magic comes naturally, but that doesn't mean you can't study it. You can study running, using what you learn to alter your stride, change how you breathe, and look at useful equipment. Similarly, you can study mystic magic. The difference is that Mystics are about mindsets. Take someone with master psychic potential, and put them in a school for Mysticism, and they are more likely to develop as a mystic, instead of a mind melter. Youth is about unexpressed potential... schooling is about expressing that potential in a way the educators find beneficial (either personally or societally, depending on ethics). In a society that is somewhat against psychic powers, having them express as magic would be a desirable goal, much as the CS would see a master psychic not expressing as a mystic as a desirable goal.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

ZorValachan wrote:Yes, the 'update' was mostly about Dweomer. Mostly a quick overview of 109 PA and some details on various shops there.

One thing I noticed and maybe I missed it when reading. The 'update' stated a few times that Dweomer pretty much hates psionics, going so far as encouraging their mystics to focus on magic, not their psi-powers. I didn't see a part where it gave their reasons for this stance.

Also...why is there even a part about 'schools' for mystics? Isn't the whole point of the mystic that they cannot learn/study magic? It comes to them naturally, without study, intuitively...

Mystics don't need to learn how to read? most are illiterate. They don't need to learn about how magic is used? Magic Lore is useful. They don't need to learn math?

Magic schools, in my mind, teach way more than just magic. They're also general colleges for increasing your general education.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Samored II
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Samored II »

Not to mention they would be useful places for teaching those ever popular spell combination attacks and how to defend oneself against a technological foe.
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Mystics don't need to learn how to read? most are illiterate. They don't need to learn about how magic is used? Magic Lore is useful. They don't need to learn math?

The answer to all your questions here is "no".

Mystics, by nature, are intuitive. They do not rely upon academic study. They rely upon their own ability to discern things with their awareness....
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Unread post by Seneca »

I seem to recall in Psyscape the Coalition using training to push master psychics from the Mystic or Mind Melter and into the nega-psychic and burster. So it would seem that psionics is something that can be molded through training. Hence Mystic colleges in Dweomer.

And I have a theory about the Three's dislike of psionics is based off their own origin. They are supposedly a fractured Alien Intelligence after all. Maybe they are afraid some psychic could reconstruct their whole self and then they would cease to exist, eh?
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Shadyslug wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Mystics don't need to learn how to read? most are illiterate. They don't need to learn about how magic is used? Magic Lore is useful. They don't need to learn math?

The answer to all your questions here is "no".

Mystics, by nature, are intuitive. They do not rely upon academic study. They rely upon their own ability to discern things with their awareness....

Yes, but you can hone these things, and reading really is an efficient way of passing on information, and math is useful for a wide variety of uses.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”