Lock this please and unsticky it

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wilenburg
D-Bee

Re: Errata (and or nits) with with Robotech®: Macross® Saga

Unread post by wilenburg »

Hey does anyone known what experience tables are in the book I've been through it and never found any for the civilian and nothing for the zentraedi, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on an aproaite experience table for the new stuff?
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Braden Campbell wrote:
Subadar wrote:... the facts are there, the numbers are there

If you folks find serious flaws in the new line of Robotech books, by all means let us know. But keep the nitpickings to yourselves (in fact, this thread condemned itself by even putting the word "nitpick" in its title). All they do is make us not want to write anymore for the seemingly unappreciative masses.

Brandon chillax.

the reason I went with the tital for the thread was because I bascialy used the Exact same tital for M:SC thread I launched.

part of it is because to be blunt some of the things that to me are just minor details (IE Nits)(a one off printing error I mentioned in one of the other threads in my copy of the book) minor typoes (comas instead of periods) things like the Cyclone pilot being issued a passenger or listing mismatched payloads (a weapon listed as haveing 100 shots in one entry and 50 in another) for other people however some of the glitches are fairly serious, for example when you flat out contradict whats seen both in the OTV, or in the official soucebooks published for HG.

and this may come as a bit of a suprise to you, but theirs only one Item on all of this (Macross and TSC) that I Dont consider to be a minor nit but an actual error.

however all of the items i have brought up are items that need(ed) to be addressed for future printing.
冠双
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

Drakenred®™© wrote:I may be the only one who thinks this, but I honestly dont have a problem with giveing the VF-1 a limmited surface to Orbit capacity without the booster, (100nm-250nm altitude) and with the Booster it can get to the Various L points in Earth orbit.

Personally, I don't like it very much. It gives the VF-1 a little too much power for a first-gen design and it completely invalidates the need behind the Orbital Booster or the Super parts/FAST packs (other than merchandising, mind you). Yes, I know that Roy did it an episode. Then again, given how many one-shot kills we see in the episode, the Battlepods should be made out of SDC armour instead of MDC...

Just a personal opinion, mind you.
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

A minor nit: What happened to the civilian fan-plane, both Rick's original one and the one Minmei won from the Miss Macross contest? I thought it kind of funny that the plane was mention three times, but wasn't actually statted in the book.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Lt. Holmes wrote:
Drakenred®™© wrote:I may be the only one who thinks this, but I honestly dont have a problem with giveing the VF-1 a limmited surface to Orbit capacity without the booster, (100nm-250nm altitude) and with the Booster it can get to the Various L points in Earth orbit.

Personally, I don't like it very much. It gives the VF-1 a little too much power for a first-gen design and it completely invalidates the need behind the Orbital Booster or the Super parts/FAST packs (other than merchandising, mind you). Yes, I know that Roy did it an episode. Then again, given how many one-shot kills we see in the episode, the Battlepods should be made out of SDC armour instead of MDC...

Just a personal opinion, mind you.
Given how many one shot kills you see of everything EXCEPT the main characters vehicles . . .

As for the FASTpacks to me thoes were developed mostly for use in space. and as I pointed out the BIG boosters were used to get VFs to the moon-L1 points under full thrust, as oposed to the 60+ hours it takes on a balistic trajectory.(yes I know, its kind of off to describe it that way but eh)
冠双
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Drakenred®™© wrote:As for the FASTpacks to me thoes were developed mostly for use in space. and as I pointed out the BIG boosters were used to get VFs to the moon-L1 points under full thrust, as oposed to the 60+ hours it takes on a balistic trajectory.(yes I know, its kind of off to describe it that way but eh)

Oh, absolutly the Super parts were meant for space-use first. But I also like the idea of those honkin' big rockets strapped to the Valkyrie's back as being useful in an atmosphere as well, even f you're limited to going in a straight line and hoping nothing gets in your way :D

In my personal canon, I chart the development as basic VF-1 ---> Orbital booster ---> Super parts. Slowly getting better and better until they get the design they like.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Okay...i figure the squeeky wheel gets the oil, so Ill ask again...

ANY chance of this book seeing a deluxe version?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

From what I have hear no it is not. KS is going to stick with the manga size. the ship book however might be full sized.
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Kagashi wrote:Okay...i figure the squeeky wheel gets the oil, so Ill ask again...

ANY chance of this book seeing a deluxe version?

Wipes away tears...don't bet on it, homey. :-(
ImageImageImage
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Macross wrote:Can someone explain the following error?

Bridge Crew of the SDF-1 on page #145 is as follows:
Ship's Captain (1), XO/Airboss (1), Helm (1), Nav (1), Comms/Sensor (1) Security (4).

Okay the Security guys could be just outside the bridge but there are 6 Bridge Characters Gloval, Lisa, Claudia, Kim, Sammy and Vanessa. The book just lists room for 5.

Perhaps one of the six you mentioned (probably Lisa) is not always on the bridge?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
devillin
Adventurer

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

Ship's Captain (1), XO/Airboss (1), Helm (1), Nav (1), Comms/Sensor (1) Security (4).

Okay the Security guys could be just outside the bridge but there are 6 Bridge Characters Gloval, Lisa, Claudia, Kim, Sammy and Vanessa. The book just lists room for 5.

Perhaps one of the six you mentioned (probably Lisa) is not always on the bridge?

Ooh, I get to correct an Old One. :lol:
No, there were always the 6, plus every once in a while you had 1 or 2 no names that showed up to look over one of the Bridge Bunny's shoulders. I just always wondered why Claudia and Lisa never had a seat, or at least a bench or one of those bars that you have on a ski lift.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

devillin wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

Ooh, I get to correct an Old One. :lol:
No, there were always the 6, plus every once in a while you had 1 or 2 no names that showed up to look over one of the Bridge Bunny's shoulders. I just always wondered why Claudia and Lisa never had a seat, or at least a bench or one of those bars that you have on a ski lift.

Might have been basing it off of real-life naval ship bridges (where the bridge watch, especially the officers, don't usually have a chair of their own), as opposed to Star Trek-style (where everyone has a plushy chair to rest in).

As for the bridge crew... just add a 2nd comms/sensor tech, & that gives you 6. Although I could have sworn that Lisa handled helm or nav along with her XO/Airboss job, with Claudia at the other position, so that would call for 3 comms/sensor techs.
Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Snuffy »

jedi078 wrote:-snip-
I for one am glad that the freelance are answering our questions and explaining why they did things a certain way. I may not agree with some of the things that have been done, but at least we are getting some explanation. The freelances could very well just not answer our questions.

Jedi - Very well put! I'm just happy to have some insights made from Gideon.
avollant
Wanderer
Comment: "Governments don't make mistakes; they encounter delays and setbacks!

Unread post by avollant »

Gideon wrote:Honestly, I forgot to account for Claudia's job. Ship's Captain (Gloval), XO/Airboss (Lisa) Helm/Nav/Comms (Sammi, Vanessa, Kim) and...Claudia. What does Claudia do? I reckon she's Senior Enlisted on the bridge, and S/V/K's direct superior, but how does that correspond to the bridge of a real fighting ship? This one's totally my fault, sorry.

If I remember the show correctly, Claudia's Job was the Bridges' XO while Lisa was Flight Officer and was responsible of the Air Coverage. You were correct for the rest of the Bidge bunny. Also, I think Claudia's was responsible for the Destroids... which would explain the "Land Uniform" she wear.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Lisa also seems to be in charge of the Destroids involved in the Deadalus attack and the ship's weapons - but alternates that duty with Claudia.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Gideon wrote:Lisa is definitely the ship's XO. She's always in conference with Gloval, and she seems to do a lot of other specialized things that say "second in command" to me. As for running the Destroids, that probably fell under the purview of the SDF-1's Air Boss when the majority of the officers and crew of the Daedalus were killed during the jump to Pluto. Honestly, there should be way more people on that bridge. There should be a dedicated Air Boss and his partner the Mini-Boss. There should be enlisted air traffic controllers, comms operators and other sensors. The XO's job should only entail helping the Captain run/fight the ship. We're ultimately dealing with make-believe and a simplified and Star-Trekkified view of a ship's bridge, so we have to work within those constraints.

Not necessarily.

In the newer (i.e. less than 30 years old) USN warships, you find a distinction between the bridge & the CIC (Command In Control, IIRC). The bridge is used for navigation & steering, & possibly communications. CIC is where you have weapons control, sensors, etc. The carriers add another dimension to that with their dedicated air control sections (i.e. "Pri-Fly"), where they track their own aircraft as well as any potential hostiles. While Top Gun and Stealth show some of that, I think one of the better depictions is in The Final Countdown.

It's probably safe to say that Gloval spends his time on the command (or conning) bridge, which is equipped either with 'repeaters' (i.e. read-only feed showing the data from the various sensors and shipboard systems) or with data feeds from CIC & the other ship's departments. Probably use some automation to cut down on their workloads, possibly even borrowing an MFD-style concept from the mecha & fighters (& no, I don't mean the Okudagrams... :mrgreen: ).
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

I must disagree with you there. Sense this is an anime from the 70s (Or was it early 80s?) All that stuff was done on the bridge.
If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear
green.nova343
Adventurer

Avatara wrote:I must disagree with you there. Sense this is an anime from the 70s (Or was it early 80s?) All that stuff was done on the bridge.

Just to show kind of a timeline:
  • Knox-class (FF-1052) ASW Frigates: ordered 1964-1966, commissioned 12 April 1969 (FF 1052 Knox) to 2 November 1974 (FF 1097 Moinester). Has ship's bridge for navigation & steering (with watch staff assigned by the ship's Navigator), and a separate CIC [Combat Information Center] that controls the electronics (including sensors & communications) and houses the status boards showing the current air/surface/underwater situation.
  • USS Nimitz (CVN-68): keel laid down 22 June 1968, commissioned 3 May 1975. As with standard USN carrier design (including the now decommissioned conventionally-powered supercarriers built during the 1950s & 1960s), it has separate ship's/command bridge (Officer of the Day/OOD, helmsmen, navigator, & lookouts), a CDC [Combat Data Center] run by the Tactical Action Officer/TAO (provides information from all sensors & weapon systems), and Primary Flight Operations/"Pri-Fly" run by the "Air Boss" (tracks the locations & movements of all aircraft, including those still on the deck or in the hanger).
  • The Final Countdown: released 1 August 1980.
  • Supder Dimensional Fortress Macross: first aired 4 March 1982.

Not 100% sure if the Knox-class introduced the CIC concept or not, but the real-life implementation of having ship's systems controlled & overseen somewhere other than the main bridge definitely predates the OSM for Robotech. The primary innovation is, of course, to provide the collated data to the ship's CO on the main bridge without forcing him to have to keep running back & forth or asking for the data each time he wants it. Plus, the separation means that a direct hit on either section won't take out everyone.
Chris
Explorer

Unread post by Chris »

green.nova343 wrote: Plus, the separation means that a direct hit on either section won't take out everyone.

Of all the SciFi shows out there, the depiction of a protected bridge/CIC that made the most sense to me was that of Battlestar Galactica (Re-imagined)

If you look at the bridge tower on the SDF-1 and most if not all UEDF ships, they are woefully exposed. Battlestars (and, as it happens, most if not all Zentraedi ships) have their command centers nestled deep within the center of the ship well away from danger, any attack that could disable that location would most likely cripple the ship in the process, that, or the CIC would have to be attacked from within. (Go go UEEF Marine assault force!)
devillin
Adventurer

Hans wrote:If I recall the bridge of the SDF-1 is a two level affair. The shelf up top where Gloval, Lisa, Claudia, and the three bridge bunnies work is not the whole bridge. There are other crewmen working more specific command and control down on the lower level.

That second level to the bridge is where the controls to the Pinpoint Barrier System are located as well. We get a great view of it in the episode where Khyron blew it up, taking out the SDF-1's sensors as well. Funny thing I just thought of, that bubble portion of the bridge is actually two or more levels, since that is the same area where Minmei sang during Force of Arms. So, that would put the CinC bridge two or three levels below the main bridge. Is there any Macross line art of the bridge area lying around anywhere?
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

And now you have another reason not to build a transfroming space ship. The bridge will always be where the head is when it transforms. Side note why would they build a transforming ship with no arms? If you recall the two carrier's were its arms.

And on that note they left out the point defense shield in the book to.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I'll probably update the pinpoint barrier system from the old robotech book and put it on the ship. It will also be included in the spaceship book.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Explorer

Unread post by Avatara »

ahh good.
devillin
Adventurer

Avatara wrote:And now you have another reason not to build a transfroming space ship. The bridge will always be where the head is when it transforms. Side note why would they build a transforming ship with no arms? If you recall the two carrier's were its arms.

Originally, the ARMD Carriers were supposed to be the arms.
Chris
Explorer

Unread post by Chris »

Here ya go, best I could find right now.

Side view

and a bit smaller...of the command bridge...

Plan View
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Its also posible the Original creators decided Ok the SDF is this big ship, thus its shockwave from launch will cause the VFs "Escorting" it to bascialy get a free trip to orbit behind the shockwave (bascialy drafting behind the shockwave) without realising that while it is literaly a shockwave anything behind it will bascialy not get that mutch of a benifit from it.

that and lets be honest, theirs a lot of diference between putting a VF-1 into loe and sending it to the moon-L 1-5 points in any resonable time
冠双
devillin
Adventurer

Gideon wrote:Glad you liked the book. I'm doing my best to make Masters more of the same. Also, do me a favor will you? This goes for all of you; don't you "mister" me. You can call me Jason or you can call me Gideon, but not "mister". I'm just a guy who writes about insubordinate longhairs and giant robots, and that doesn't make me "mister".

Sorry, Mister Gideon.
You're respectable now. Get used to it. I had to get used to it at 23 when the kids in my neighborhood started calling me Mr. Jerry, much to the amusement of my mother and sister. :lol:
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Blitz wrote:A couple of things that I've noticed, I don't know if these fall under errata or not but:

1) The radar for the Defender seems like it is inferior to the VF-1. .

2) Based soley on stats for the ammunition types on the MACII, why would someone choose HEAT rounds over Armor peircing? .

3) The RL-1 in the book is listed as a rocket launcer. , . , .

1)
As mentioned elsewhere the search radars on fighters are (VERY) limmited in sweep, and the few efforts to fix that (the "Bugeye" 7 pannel phased arays that so far give a limmted 180/focused 120 degree sweep does not fit in the front of a normal fighter aircraft since its roughly twice as wide and tall as the APG77 and uses a lot more power in full scan mode since it uses 5500 transmiters, as oposed to the 1500 used on the APG-77 as the ) and multiple mounting of search radar have been met with limmited success
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APG-77 for an example of a current ACSR )

2) its a more flexible round, the sabot round is esentualy anti tank (and anti bunker) and the heat round can cause colateral damage, although I would drop the damage to something like 3D6X10 to poi and 1D6X10 AE.

3) I belive thats something that carried over from the OSM not the Robotec broadcast.
冠双
Drakenred®™©
Champion

and yes, I know about the ~2000 element bugeye. I also know that the RAF bascialy gave up on that because it was worse than any of the current airborn radars (it only had a 60degree centerline cone that was roughly comperable to what was on the F-16s 120Deg view in range and limmited coverage to the rest of the hemisphere
冠双
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

OKay, here's a nit that comes under 'stupid anime tricks'....
In the fitout for the Regult, there's no mention of the pod body ascent rockets as standard equipment...this is what the three spies use to ascend back to high atmosphere to return to their fleet...It's likely a stupid anime one-shot trick that the producers used for convenience because of a number of factors, but anybody have any ideas about it?
To be considered...
a) The spies acquired an intact Battlepod(unlikely; any BPs found in the vicinity of the SDF-1 at that point, or taken as salvage, are going to be pretty badly shot-up)
b) The spies were able to assemble one from parts of other machines salvaged and pulled aboard the SDF-1 for evaluation and recycling and conveniently forgotten...(this suggests the spies either have enough skill to do swap and match repairs, or they learned quickly)
c) They somehow managed to find a spare pod hidden aboard the ship(unlikely) or had some means of oborning the systems of the SDF-1 to produce a specialized escape pod just for them(the McKInney solution)...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Chris
Explorer

Unread post by Chris »

taalismn wrote:OKay, here's a nit that comes under 'stupid anime tricks'....
In the fitout for the Regult, there's no mention of the pod body ascent rockets as standard equipment...this is what the three spies use to ascend back to high atmosphere to return to their fleet...It's likely a stupid anime one-shot trick that the producers used for convenience because of a number of factors, but anybody have any ideas about it?
To be considered...
a) The spies acquired an intact Battlepod(unlikely; any BPs found in the vicinity of the SDF-1 at that point, or taken as salvage, are going to be pretty badly shot-up)
b) The spies were able to assemble one from parts of other machines salvaged and pulled aboard the SDF-1 for evaluation and recycling and conveniently forgotten...(this suggests the spies either have enough skill to do swap and match repairs, or they learned quickly)
c) They somehow managed to find a spare pod hidden aboard the ship(unlikely) or had some means of oborning the systems of the SDF-1 to produce a specialized escape pod just for them(the McKInney solution)...

4th Option: A separate team delivered and stashed the pod there for them to use as an escape vehicle.
The Galactus Kid

Not actual errata, but I was a little disappointed about the paper thin armor of the Mac II. I might bump that up a bit for my games. I think I will also keep the original damage rating for the Tomahawk PBC at 5D10+25. I was not a fan of the 1D6x10+10 rating.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Cool...i like less dice to roll! Ive always used 1D6x10+10 for the 5D10+25 damage rolls from the old game.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Mister Gideon... um, well I actually don't have a question. Really just wanted to call you 'mister'.
The Galactus Kid

Kagashi wrote:Cool...i like less dice to roll! Ive always used 1D6x10+10 for the 5D10+25 damage rolls from the old game.

When I told my group that this was how we were going to run it, they said, "Good. We don't get to roll 5d10 nearly enough."

Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Question

Unread post by Snuffy »

This is a question for Master Gideon (see I didn't call you Mister, and it should fit well since your working on the Master's saga now):
In the original RT RPG, it was mentioned several times that Zentraedi are not allowed to pilot RDF mecha. I like that this rule seems to be omitted in the UEDF. Any more input on this? Or will more on this in following books? My games usually run in the post Rain of Death era so it could add some flavor having Zent's piloting mecha. I would imagine only Elite Zents could pilot earth mecha.

Thanks,
Mike
Drakenred®™©
Champion

mhcisme wrote:the one thing that stuck out the most to me was the damage the Lancer II's plasma cannons do. I think they may be a bit high on damage for a unlimited rate of fire.

This is my only nit for now over all a grate book. Thanks for all the hard work that whent into it. You made this fan happy :D
the Lancer is bascialy an orbital self propeled 5 inch gun turret that has trouble hitting anything smaller than a full sized AWAC. a better comparison may have been to the B-25-h than the A-10.
冠双
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The Russians still have a few GAST type guns in service, but as automatic cannons they are mostly replaced by rotary and revolver style weapons now.

Side note, the Russians do have an effective gas driven rotary 30 mm weapon - allowing them to mount it on boats that wouldn't have a powerful enough eleconic system to drive an electric model.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Mister Gideon, I have a question/nit for you. On the Excalibur- excuse me, Tomahawk, the chest missles are listed as short-range. That's perfectly fine with me, but why is the upper missle pod also rated as short range? It seems to mine uneducated eye that when you have two enclosed 12-shot missle launchers (in the shoulders) adding six more in a pod attached to the outside is a tad redundant.

Also, it seems to me that having those as six medium-range missles would give the Excal (gah! I will never get used to a different name) some ranged punch and variety in loadout.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well, from what I understand of the mecha stats outside of the games, the over the shoulder missiels are indeed longer rnaged than the missiles in the chest pod . . . put they are still what we could considered short ranged in the Palladium system.

I think that Palladium should consider A) putting outspecific model missile stats or B) down grade a lot of the short range general purpose missiles used in Robotech to mini-missiles.

A is a lot more work, but I think produces a more interesting product.

Drakenred®™©
Champion

Well generaly I would say thoes were (like a lot of anti aircraft missles that are that size) fairly light warhead units say 1D4X10 with an ECR of 5-10 miles and with a dedicated Anti air guidance system that gives its bonue to hit only to Airborn targets (yes I know some modern SAMs now have a limmited anti ground capability nowdays, but from what I have seen its still somewhat limmited because of groundclutter)
冠双
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Gideon wrote:As for the missile thing: Drak hits it on the head and wins one internet today. The Six-Pack missile launcher is a dedicated Surface to Air battery that allows the Tomahawk to keep aircraft away. It states in the description on p. 32 that they're SAMs and get a +3 to strike airborne targets. The MDS-L-12 carries missiles that are Surface to Surface (think TOW missiles without the wire) and are for killing ground targets only. Here's an upgrade for you, give those STS missiles a +2 to strike ground targets and that'll differentiate them from the SAMs in the six-pack.

As for doing separate classes of missiles in canon? Not likely. I am, however, going to be doing a missile technology article in the Rifter sometime in '09 where I'll talk about guidance systems and the difference between SAMs, ASMs, HARMs, Rockets, and all kinds of stuff about missiles. It'll be easily grafted onto the Robotech stuff to give the missiles a little more flavor.

There's a good idea. Thanks, Mister!

And... does this mean we're allowed to submit Robotech material to the Rifter?
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Thats cool, im glad to see somebody is actually trying to un-lump all Palladium missiles into one giant pot. I never really understood why PB couldn't just describe each missile with each weapon system in the first place. Same with Eclips. Ive never played a (table top) game where we have ever used the missiles as printed.

EDIT: Gideon, why want the RUE description of missiles used in tSC? I rather enjoyed Armor Piercing missiles doing extra damage on unmodified rolls.
Updated Aug 2015
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Gideon wrote:
Jefffar wrote:The Russians still have a few GAST type guns in service, but as automatic cannons they are mostly replaced by rotary and revolver style weapons now.

Side note, the Russians do have an effective gas driven rotary 30 mm weapon - allowing them to mount it on boats that wouldn't have a powerful enough eleconic system to drive an electric model.

Yes, it's called the AK-630 I believe..
actualy its the AK-306 and the newer "Palash" that are gas diven, the 630 is the powered version. however the 306 has a rated ROF of 600 - 1,000* (306) or 1000(Palash which from the description may actualy be a hybrid Electric with gas assistance) Vs the 4000/5000 (single gun) or 10,000(dual gunAK-630M1-2 or 3M87) rate of fires.

Note the usual configuraton of the 306 has it with a payload of 500 rounds so I kind of suspect it never "spins up" to 1000 rps since it needs to fire the first round to start spining
冠双
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

I've seen footage of the gas powered 30 firing and it didn't seem to take very long to spin up (at least no longer than an externally powered model). It's defintitely goign to be less effective than the powered models, but its more effective than the single or dual barreled weapons that would normally be mounted on ships that size.

Drakenred®™©
Champion

Actualy a great deal of the current hardware is fairly good. Otherwise it would not find mutch of a market overseas. the problem is you have a lot of mass produced (to put it nicely) crap thats still around mostly because it was massivly overbuilt and or were produced in mass quantitys in the first place.

In fact even with a lot of whats exported the recieving countrys tend to refit it with diferent hardware/electronics. (Romania for example turned down an offer to upgrade the Avionics if its MiG 29s for (esentualy) free from Russia and instead initialy payed Isrial to upgrade its mig 29s before deciding to simply focus on the MIG-21 Lancer upgrade) (considering that Romaia only had 18 mig 29s vs 122 Mig 21s at the time its not hard to see why they changed their minds on that project but it remains interesting that Romania would have rather payed for upgrades from elsewhere than take free ones from Russia at the time) other examples are the ongoing effort of Ukrania to licence/buy either the Rheinmettal 120mm/55 or the 140mm for its tank production, (or their 120mm variant of the "Kombat" that is reportedly a "semi licenced" clone of the LAHAT)
冠双
MOrab46019
Wanderer

Unread post by MOrab46019 »

Question:The GU-11 why does it have build in mag? If I recall there was battle inside the SDF-1 where Rick and Max were going though mags. Or was I just dreaming this. Thank you.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

http://www.new-un-spacy.com/sdfmacross/ ... gunpod.gif

bascialy the ammo feed "wraps" around the gunbarrels, the teliscoping section at the rear suposedly does so to help keep the gun cool when its not flying and is not a magazine.
冠双
Technophobe
D-Bee

Unread post by Technophobe »

I just got the Shadow Chronicles RPG book and Macross book last week. I must say that I am really impressed. I love the new rules, new stats and the art in the books. I am definitely looking forward to Southern Cross and other supplements that will be coming out.

As for errata/nitpicks, I did notice a few small things.
1) The Defender write up for the damage says “4D4X10 for a linked burst of APDS” This should probably say ABM.
2) There is no space speed listed for the Cats eye recon plane.
3) I noticed several ground and air vehicles have no range listed for how far they travel/ how long they can operate before needing refuelling. Specifically non of the Destroids, the lancer II, Ghost, Star Goose, Spider Bug, M299, KX1300P, M777, MT12, MT10, TP-500 and CP-20.

Also I was curious about the damage of the main gun on the Gnerl fighter. It’s listed as doing 1D4X10 and seems to be the only weapon that got a down grade from the original book. This seems quite low as the write up for the Gnerl (and other references in the book) call it a devastating fighter. I don’t remember the exact wording but it states for Veritech pilots to be ware.

I also have some questions about the rules but am not sure if this is the right forum.

Any way great work, I can’t wait to see the Southern Cross book.
"Anything conceivable is achievable"
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Technophobe wrote:I just got the Shadow Chronicles RPG book and Macross book last week. I must say that I am really impressed. I love the new rules, new stats and the art in the books. I am definitely looking forward to Southern Cross and other supplements that will be coming out.

As for errata/nitpicks, I did notice a few small things.
1) The Defender write up for the damage says “4D4X10 for a linked burst of APDS” This should probably say ABM.
2) There is no space speed listed for the Cats eye recon plane.
3) I noticed several ground and air vehicles have no range listed for how far they travel/ how long they can operate before needing refuelling. Specifically non of the Destroids, the lancer II, Ghost, Star Goose, Spider Bug, M299, KX1300P, M777, MT12, MT10, TP-500 and CP-20.

Also I was curious about the damage of the main gun on the Gnerl fighter. It’s listed as doing 1D4X10 and seems to be the only weapon that got a down grade from the original book. This seems quite low as the write up for the Gnerl (and other references in the book) call it a devastating fighter. I don’t remember the exact wording but it states for Veritech pilots to be ware.

I also have some questions about the rules but am not sure if this is the right forum.

Any way great work, I can’t wait to see the Southern Cross book.

the Destroids use a fuision power plant, and thus technicaly dont need fuel.

Given that the Lancer is a space based flying turret it realy dosent have range, just endurance.

The ghost is a unmaned Drone unit, and probably is powered more or less like the VFs.
冠双

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”