Republicans!!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Would you play a Republican?

Yes, Old America GO!
39%
No, Not my Style
17%
What is a Replublican?
6%
I am a Republican already
18%
Yer Mom
20%

Total votes: 87

King Chopper
Explorer

Re: Republicans!!

Unread post by King Chopper »

To me, the Republicans are far too Deus Ex Macana(Sp?). The way they are written, its like they have had a hand in EVERY thing that has happened sence the cataclysm, and I just have a hard time dealing with that.
If I weren't a snob, I'd be unworthy of being French. -Svartalf
"The death penalty may make the State a murderer, but the penal system makes the State into a gay dungeonmaster."
-attributed to Jesse Jackson

Threads killed to date: 23+ and counting

Wildfire
Adventurer

Unread post by Wildfire »

I don't have the book yet but are they led by George Bush the 24th and John McCain who is still alive ;)
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Well, the Republicans had to be added for balance, since the Democrats were already represented by ARCHIE (unimaginative and insane).
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Basically the great Cataclysm is the end result of Change

and the mighty Republicans are here to bring things back to the Golden era ie1955
edit 2055 when the American Empire had strong borders from aliens
only built as many SAMAS as they could afford
etc
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

This is why I need to get the Revised Sourcebook One
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Zerebus wrote:Mostly I like the Republicans because they get to use Hulk Hogan's theme song. :D

Naw, more like this-
Last edited by Chad on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Done.

Thanks for the heads up.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Unknown_Nobody wrote:
Zerebus wrote:Oh, I was thinking that, but I knew better than to link to it because of the profanity rules.

Kill that link before someone reports it or a mod sees it.

oh c'mon that's a good link.That should be the new national anthem

You guys need to make up your minds. :P

Here's the link- I'll let the mod decide to take it off if it offends anybody too much.
[Link removed - Mack]
T-Willard
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: A soldier is more than his equipment.

Unread post by T-Willard »

The Republicans are an interesting idea, but VERY sloppily executed. Too wrapped into the long term canon of the game, and it was quite an irritating read. I've got to head out, but believe me, I could point out why it was sloppy, where it was sloppy, and how it could have been fixed.

Personally, the whole thing could have been much better done.
"The Tolkeen War was a disaster. Yes, we achieved victory, but we exposed grievous errors in our training doctrine and unit METL's. We must seek to address these issues, we must rethink what we know or this nation will perish from the Earth. Should we not learn from the hard lessons of the Tolkeen War, our bones shall be ground to dust."-Ross Underhill
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Since I don't have the new sb1 I use the x files as a substiue

Smoking man your reincation is as a 300 year old cyborg eternal brain looks completly human in his 60s with a sniper rifle in hand
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Well, I don't know what Todd was talking about then, but if you find a place- I'll be there.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Chad wrote:Well, I don't know what Todd was talking about then, but if you find a place- I'll be there.

You want the Sound Off forum. To get access to it you need to go under 'User Control Panel' then Usergroups and add it. Then the mods will let you in or not and you two can continue it with the rest of us who don't have any lives. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Does anyone think that the Republicans should have had something to do with Wilks-

They both seem alike in alot of ways.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

justicar5 wrote:was going to respond but screw it, wheres the sound off forum? Can't find it on the list.
I believe you have to apply permission to get in.

Either way - it probably should not even go there, but instead should be done via PM's

Back on Subject: Republicans in Rifts -

I kind of see them as the Valhalla Sector in the TV show Jeremiah. The old guard still hold up in some hidden facility, waiting for a time that the world is less dangerous. The reason why they haven't come out before now, is a variety of reasons - attack on Archie diminished their resources/people. But they also have had the internal struggle of "is this the right time!" Heck, I even see the republicans having a presidency that they elect every 4 years!

But during that time, they still have some of their construction facilities. They are growing and also need to gather more material. Eventually they probably even start moving from one underground facility to another. Hopefully in a strategic, controlled, and upkeepable fashion. But by sneaking into Archie's facility... now that is imaginitive!

But as a Player and a GM - I never liked the whole Archie bit, unless there were more out there, and the Republican's had one also they could use, just Archie III was the most advanced.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

The only thing that has really bothered me about the Rep. is:

If they could sneak in and reprogram ARCHIE, why waste time with body armor, weapons, etc.

Just have him make another ARCHIE system and install that bad-boy in Area 51.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

justicar5 wrote:interesting point, also wasn't there an ARCHIE 4 on the moon or somesuch? Get a remote uplink running with that and away you go...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=94796
The locations to date.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Another thing, now that I think about it, is:

If they are so well connected, shouldn't they have sent some teams to Phase World to secure some advanced tech?
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

justicar5 wrote:
Chad wrote:Another thing, now that I think about it, is:
If they are so well connected, shouldn't they have sent some teams to Phase World to secure some advanced tech?

maybe prode in the tech they had blinded them to the possibility? Or, they don't want to appear on the radar of the powers in phase world?

I'm not really sure Phase World would care too much, that is if they had the money.
I'd agree with the first part, but the Sourcebook tells us that they are always on the look out for new tech.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

I could see some special/black/covert Delta Force-CTU-Dimensional ops team going through a Rift to secure intel. and tech.
csbioborg
Champion

well another archie could be created but I highly doubt Archie would create other version of himself he is a insane b thinks he is a god c dosen't want the competition

also it is possible that whatever network that archie is made out of is likely not normal coputer material

I always had the theory that he is made out of partially roganic parts

that is a real world innovaton in computer processing pwoer and would help explain why he is immune to telemechinics
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

justicar5 wrote:hmm maybe a resources issue then, they don't have enough things that phase world would want, or if they do, they would have to sell to much of it, to justify what they would get in return.

Yeah, they don't practice Magic, but I'm sure they could come up with the money.
Not so sure if they could depend on the team returning through. Especially if the team hears about something like an Utopian Planet.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

csbioborg wrote:well another archie could be created but I highly doubt Archie would create other version of himself he is a insane b thinks he is a god c dosen't want the competition
also it is possible that whatever network that archie is made out of is likely not normal coputer material
that is a real world innovaton in computer processing pwoer and would help explain why he is immune to telemechinics

True, but ARCHIE didn't know he was making things for the Republicans. They found a way to bypass his system while he slept.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

justicar5 wrote:
Chad wrote:
justicar5 wrote:hmm maybe a resources issue then, they don't have enough things that phase world would want, or if they do, they would have to sell to much of it, to justify what they would get in return.

Yeah, they don't practice Magic, but I'm sure they could come up with the money.
Not so sure if they could depend on the team returning through. Especially if the team hears about something like an Utopian Planet.

Or the team could very easily go 'rogue' so much to see in Phase world, so many worlds to visit, makes good old fubar'd eart seem a bit of a hell hole.

The team would have to be pretty patriotic.
I know I would find it hard to return to Rifts Earth if I saw something like the CCW.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

justicar5 wrote:well a copy of ARCHIE could be as nuts as he is, so thats a big risk.

Hadn't thought about that.
He would have to base it off of himself wouldn't he?
csbioborg
Champion

Chad wrote:
csbioborg wrote:well another archie could be created but I highly doubt Archie would create other version of himself he is a insane b thinks he is a god c dosen't want the competition

True, but ARCHIE didn't know he was making things for the Republicans. They found a way to bypass his system while he slept.

they old school manuelly hacked it which still would be possibly as the organics would just be for processing pwoer well mostly

Obviously they would have to be patriotic but I don't know if the CCW would be that much better for all we know CHI town is fairly nice and all your firends and fmaily are there
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

csbioborg wrote:Obviously they would have to be patriotic but I don't know if the CCW would be that much better for all we know CHI town is fairly nice and all your firends and fmaily are there

They wouldn't be in the constant danger they are on Rifts Earth.
Of course that would bring up another problem- How to act in a more 'civilized' place.
But, hell- I'd come back and bring my friends and family with me. :lol:

I don't think they would, but ya know it would always be in the back of their mind.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Chad wrote:
justicar5 wrote:well a copy of ARCHIE could be as nuts as he is, so thats a big risk.

core programing maybe. ARCHIE uses a neural net, which means a large part of his 'personality' is learned. picture his basic programs (directives, hard wired limitations) as DOS, which generates it's own Windows program of increasing complexity as it goes along.

so a copy of ARCHIE would probably be the functional mental equivilent of a small child, albiet a very smart one that develops in days, not years.

(a media example would be the Tachikoma's from Ghost in the Shell, which started as essentually mindless, humorless drones and eventually developed personalities as rich and introspective as any human...)

so if you copy ARCHIE, you have a chance to get one more congenial t your goals if you provide it with the right stimulus as it developes. you just have to be careful to not get it confused or give it contradictory orders, or you risk a HAL-9000 situation...which is argueably what happened between ARCHIE3 and the republicans in the first place...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Chad wrote:

core programing maybe. ARCHIE uses a neural net, which means a large part of his 'personality' is learned. picture his basic programs (directives, hard wired limitations) as DOS, which generates it's own Windows program of increasing complexity as it goes along.
so a copy of ARCHIE would probably be the functional mental equivilent of a small child, albiet a very smart one that develops in days, not years.
(a media example would be the Tachikoma's from Ghost in the Shell, which started as essentually mindless, humorless drones and eventually developed personalities as rich and introspective as any human...)
so if you copy ARCHIE, you have a chance to get one more congenial t your goals if you provide it with the right stimulus as it developes. you just have to be careful to not get it confused or give it contradictory orders, or you risk a HAL-9000 situation...which is argueably what happened between ARCHIE3 and the republicans in the first place...

I'm not that tech savvy as far as computers go.
Do you think 'neural net' is related to this 'quantum computer' thing I've been hearing about, or is that something else altogether?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

heh, i can barely keep my laptop going sometimes.

i just have good research skills and a penchant for futurism.

Nueral net here's a resource giving an overview of the concept.

quantum computing is a different concept.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

huh,

Seems like a quantum computing nueral net is the way to go. :P
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic trimmed.

Next time I'll issue official warnings to those who can't abide by the forum rules.

Also, if you are granted access to Sound Off, do not expect to find a free-for-all zone. The forum rules apply to it as well.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Next violation gets the topic locked, along with individual punishments.

And justicar5, quoting someone's violation doesn't help.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

So, an Archie question, just to keep us on topic.

Can psychics just...locate him, the way they locate everything else? Will a simple tap with Telemechanics grab him and lock him down so that the PC's don't have to fight 500 robots? (I've avoided using him just because running a fight with 500 robots will take all year)
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Balabanto wrote:So, an Archie question, just to keep us on topic.
Can psychics just...locate him, the way they locate everything else? Will a simple tap with Telemechanics grab him and lock him down so that the PC's don't have to fight 500 robots? (I've avoided using him just because running a fight with 500 robots will take all year)

I'm tring to figure out what the violation was, but...
Your two questions have got me to thinking about some questions of my own. I don't think psychics could locate Archie because he has an Auto-Mind Block. Telemechanic Possession would work- Archie needs a 12+ to sv. Which is strange. Doesn't Mind Block close one off from all psychic/mental emanations? I've always played it where Mind Block makes one immune to psychic possession.
As far as the 500 robots...I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just roll a 1D4 or 1D8 (depending on the power level) to see how many robots target a PC each melee. They aren't going to last that long. I think the adventure was designed to leave the players with one of two options- retreat or die.

The chair Hagan sits on, the neurological interface (psionic helmet), was designed to 'read a persons thoughts'. Could an ARCHIE-like system, not necessarily Archie-3, use this interface device as a technological Mind Bond? To extract information from an unwilling subject? If so, would there be any consequences- like wiping out his neural pathways and lobotomizing the dude?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Doesn't work that way with Archie. He's self-aware and psychic, himself, so while TM will let you speak with him, he decides how much you see. Hagan, for example, was his best bud and even Hagan thought the 3-OZ was Archie... and that's after months of psychic contact.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Mark Hall wrote:Doesn't work that way with Archie. He's self-aware and psychic, himself, so while TM will let you speak with him, he decides how much you see. Hagan, for example, was his best bud and even Hagan thought the 3-OZ was Archie... and that's after months of psychic contact.

No, I was talking about the other way around- like Archie reading the persons mind. A one way Mind Bond, kind of like a Psi-Interrogator.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Chad wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Doesn't work that way with Archie. He's self-aware and psychic, himself, so while TM will let you speak with him, he decides how much you see. Hagan, for example, was his best bud and even Hagan thought the 3-OZ was Archie... and that's after months of psychic contact.

No, I was talking about the other way around- like Archie reading the persons mind. A one way Mind Bond, kind of like a Psi-Interrogator.

I was answering Balabanto. However, it would certainly work that way.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Mark Hall wrote:
Chad wrote:

I was answering Balabanto. However, it would certainly work that way.

My bad. :oops:
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

I did once...years ago. It kind of flopped as the players just used it as a stepping point for a completely different direction.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

I never used the Republicans before.... but i did use the Wigs one time....
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

I think having a Republican PC would make for a very interesting adventure. You could add an espionage/spy angle to the game.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

In the long term I'd like to do a Republicans/Capt. Nemo II crossover and see what that two powers can do in the actual Rifts Earth. Both are from a Pre-Rifts society. I think they could understant each other and share forces and resources. Having a party mixing Republicans and Capt. Nemo II crew can produce very intersting games, don't you think?
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Well, the thing is, I'm pretty sure that my PC's will not fall for the giant brain trick. They'll go room to room if they have to, and try to disable his robot factory so he can't make anymore, which is really the key to stopping him. Once you blow up that, time is on your side.

Of course, the one flaw in this plan is that IF you kill him, ALL the remaining robots have "Your PC's" and "Hostile" tagged all over their faces. And they'll have "Get them!" tagged in their neural nets. The problem is that, to be honest, fighting twenty thousand robots over the course of a few years is boring.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

mobuttu wrote:In the long term I'd like to do a Republicans/Capt. Nemo II crossover and see what that two powers can do in the actual Rifts Earth. Both are from a Pre-Rifts society. I think they could understant each other and share forces and resources. Having a party mixing Republicans and Capt. Nemo II crew can produce very intersting games, don't you think?

somehow i doubt Nemo II would consider the republicans a legitimate american authority. contact between the two might result in Nemo II working to either convince ARCHIE3 to wake the 30,000, or failing that, to secure the cryosystems and wake them.

but the 30,000 were NEMA, and nemo II commands whats left of the US Navy and US marines. very different command structures here. they'd be willing to work together, but NEMO II could not command the 30,000, nor vice versa.

and if the 30,000 link up with the republicans and try to set up america under their own leadership, i'd see NEMO II working against the Republicans/NEMA to prevent america coming back as a military government.

this would get politics very confusing, very fast. on one side you have the New Navy and it's allies tritonia, whale singers, and various (currently unknown) west coast kingdoms, on the other side you have the Republicans/NEMA and the resources of the eastern seaboard (including the aberdeen complex and a lobotomized ARCHIE3's legion of bots), and on the Other side you have the Coalition states, and their massive military and current claim on north america....

not to mention all the roups caught in the crossfire, like Northern gun, Wellington, Lazlo, the colorado baronies....

and all three sides would be trying to get the NGR to come in, or at least stay nuetral, the splugorth would see it as an oppertunity to raid everyone, the demons of hades and dyval exploit the chaos to further their own war.....

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Chad wrote:Does anyone think that the Republicans should have had something to do with Wilks-

They both seem alike in alot of ways.

Would be a good connection. As well provide a financal base for them. Wilk's doesn't make PA or bots. Neither do the Republicans so keep there little secret they can't or Archie would see them.

This might also explain why they work against Titan Robotics (they know he's behind it.) but choose not reveal its true manufacturer in order to avoid any open reatliation. Hmm I'm liking this thought.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

gnome888 wrote:i wouldnt vote for a democrat

And this is how topics get locked.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.

Return to “Rifts®”