Alternate Dimensions

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The Solar System is at the heart of an expanding ring of worlds that spontaneously change to reflect human fantasies...hence, the solar systems closest to us are inhabited by cave dwellers living in worlds of nature spirits and surrealistic stick-paintings come alive...further out are worlds of pantheonistic Olympians and Mardukans, Coyote Trickster and Underworld beings, still further out, their radio signals having yet to reach Eart, are grey-skinned ufonauts and starfaring alien civilizations....Earth is the only 'true' life in the rest of the universe, and is essentially the 'thinktank' of a primordial universe that is taking its cue from human imagination...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those are some very cool ones.

How about the rest of the universe is actually an illusion. There is only the solar system! And the far reaches is just about where Alpha Centauri should be.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Earth is beset by demonic hordes seemingly borne from our deepest nightmares, and all but invulnerable to our weapons...only certain people with active imaginations(like roleplayers!) can summon up powers, technologies, and even entire armies from the same immateria that spawns the demonic hordes, in order to counter them!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

The entire rest of the 'Lost' story becomes irrelevent when an alien SuperDimensional Fortress crashlands on the island, killing everybody.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

How about that the entire human race are actually demons. We just don't know it yet. (Thinking about how cruel humanity can be. Violent crimes we commit against each other. And how we destroy evcerything we touch.) :-(

Hopefully this is not true! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Re: Alternate earths!

BARQ wrote:Talisman, now given all those earths have some form of magic.their ley lines connect them and some ley line walkers start literally traveling between the worlds.Imagine the sheer fun and calamity of the wars deebees??mmm.. one would be rifts and say wormwood, n&ss leave the others to gm or just make all the worlds different. so far this is my favorite idea, im a alternate reality junky. and yes harry turttledove is my fav.

That's why we have organizations like INterdim monitoring the d-travel lanes and facilitating communications :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

So does it have Napoleon Solo working for them? Or what about Illiya Kuryakin? :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:So does it have Napoleon Solo working for them? Or what about Illiya Kuryakin? :D

Nope...Interdim tries to stay clear of groups like UNCLE, CIA, FBI, Men in Black, and Section 13...Everybody at Interdim remembers the fiasco at Timeline RUYT%^678787-576758CDI-756767 where all of teh aforementioned groups , plus MI-6, SPECTRE, SMERSH, SPETNAZ, UNIT, OMEGA, and a few dozen other groups all made a simltaneous grab for a dimensional teleport device, ended up in the same building, and a general free-for-all erupted that resulted in over 300 dead, 500 wounded, 45 marriages, 35 defections, 15 divorces, 50 pregnancies, and 55 court-martials.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

You know Taalismn! That should be a news story! :::wink wink... Nudge nudge:::: OmniNews could use another news story soon! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:You know Taalismn! That should be a news story! :::wink wink... Nudge nudge:::: OmniNews could use another news story soon! :D

I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it!
Just I had a project pushed on me....Have to come up with kid-friendly superhero illustrations in two weeks...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I can be patient to wait for the news articles! :D

How about a world where every religion reaches a certain point and then fractures in hundreds of small factions. Therefore the world is a patchwork of a multitude of religions! The largest single faction might be able to count 1,000,000 total among it's following.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Religion franchises....salvation and a burger on every streetcorner...
Ask about our Fish Platter Special...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Depends, is that fish a fresh fish? Or not. And does that fish actually have a name?

How about all life on earth staying in the water. Intelligent life stays in the water.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

What if Humanity had picked up undeniable radio signal evidence of extraterrestrial life in the neighboring Alpha Centuri system not look after we established long range radio transmission and reception?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting one Taalismn!

I'm not sure if this has been covered before. How about slight change in the way humanities children are brought into this world. Women still have the eggs. But they transfer the eggs to the men who fertilize and incubate the children for the nine months. And then give birth.

Just a twisted thought!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The World of Mister Mom...We'd all think SeaHOrses were somewhere in our evolutionary tree...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL I was thinking about that. I thought it would be unusual enough to mention it. :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unusual?! On these boards?!
That's the stock and trade of everybody here...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is true! For this board it is within the bounds of it! You are absolutely right.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Mongol Empire becomes the proper Chinese Imperium, through the fortuitous discovery of electricity and radio, and pushes into Europe to stay....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That was an interesting one. Wouldn't that work if they created a workable way to pass the crown to the next generation.

How about ..... your same Mongol's actually managed to conquer Japan in their invasion.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Not going to read all the pages, so hopefully most of these are new (but I doubt it for some). Some silly, some serious.

Reality TV is never invented which results in Americans actually going outside and doing productive things with their lives when the writers strike leads to the downfall of television as an entertainment industry...
(Can you tell I loath reality TV?)

The industrial revolution failed to kick into gear, America is still stuck in the old west.

The south won the American Civil War

The British won the American Revolutionary War (now called the Colonial Rebellion War).

The Mayan (or Aztec) empire thrived and is now the supreme power on the planet.

The Cuban Missile Crisis escalated and missiles launched from both sides.

The Spanish Inquisition was so successful that millions of witches were weeded out...human population is impacted by the lack of women.

Christianity was wiped out before really taking hold, the Crusades never took place.

USA was not the first to develop and use atomic weapons.

Dark Day happened centuries earlier than Nightbane cannon. The Nightlords have an absolute strangehold on the planet and openly rule the world.

The coming of the rifts happened centuries earlier, mankind virtually wiped out and D-bees inherited the planet.

Ghandi made Genghis Khan look like a pacifist...
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
taalismn
Priest

Presidential candidates are now obliged to do a tour of the professional wrestling circuit to prove how fit they are, and how well they can work the crowd...Subsequent failure ot live up to promises made on the campaign trail, or else any sort of sex or ethics scandals while in office obliges them to do the tour again, only this time without the good will of the wrestlers...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Presidents never retire, they are retired. As in our world, they can serve a maximum of two terms (assuming they get re-elected), but in any case, once they are no longer the president (finished two terms or not re-elected) they are humanely and publicly executed on national/international TV. This motivates most Presidents to do great good deeds to leave a legacy and have the people remember him fondly decades later.

Same thing goes for senators and congressman, only it's once they stop getting elected for anything, they can keep running for the same position or try for something higher up like the Presidency.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
taalismn
Priest

(Alternate Rifts Earth Future)

Madhaven's ghost problem is brought under control and the region becomes a major metropolitan center and trade/traffick hub once again, open to all....The mutants permit building above ground in select regions, but plow the immense revenues they reap from leases, rent, land sales, and service charges into modernizing their opulent below-ground manor-bunkers...The city is open to ALL, and protected by a combination of Mutant police, special mercenaries recruited from ALL participating parties, and the Knights of the Rose...The city is considered NEUTRAL, and is sometimes called, by certain scholars and Mutants, the 'Casablanca of the East'....The mutant's word is LAW, which means people are not allowed in certain places...punishable by corporal punishment, death, or worse....the Mutants retain the equivalent of a psychic nuclear bomb if people fail to respect the nuetrality of the city; the secret confinement banks holding the captured and contained spirits that formerly haunted the city....AS a weapon of last resort if they had to, the mutants will open up these banks(ala 'Ghost Busters') and turn New Manhatten back into MadHaven, likely with an attentant death-toll of non-Mutants and Non-Knights in the thousands....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

The Juicers won the Juicer Uprising and that political black eye motived many other powers to mobilize against the CS and wipe them from the planet.
Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent alternate universes! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

I don't know if these have been mentioned but here goes:

Here are a few off the top of my head, enjoy….

1. Atlantis was never destroyed.
2. Plastic was invented in 1890’s
3. Castro became a successful major league baseball player instead of being turned down when he tried out. (This is a “legend” and false but a fun what if?)
4. The USS Maine explosion in Cuban port on February 15, 1898 sparked WWI.
5. Attempt to kill Hitler on November 8, 1939 in Munich succeeded. The bomb exploded at 21:20 hours.
6. Attempt to kill Hitler on July 20, 1944 succeeded. It is estimated that around 4,980 Germans were executed after the July Plot. The bomb exploded at 12:42 hours.
7. The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed somewhere between 20 and 40 million people never happened.
8. Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351 never happened. (Historical note, more people died form the flu pandemic of 1918-1919 than the Black Plague.)
9. Titanic never struck the iceberg on April 14, 1912 at 23:40 hours and sank. It reached port safely. Or sank so fast no survivors.
10. The German Hindenburg Airship landing at Lakehurst Naval Air Station in Manchester Township, New Jersey, USA, on May 6, 1937 never crashed and burned. Or did and no survivors. This causes Germany to declare war on the U.S. and involves them in WWII early.

Enjoy :D
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent ones! I think a couple were covered in the past. But it's ok. It's an old thread.

How about....... Kevin S. of Palladium Books is the one who is credited with inventing Role Playing instead of GG.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a great one! Pretty twisted too. So would Aaron Burr's nation be Texas?

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

LIner Titanic survives without accident...
Zeppelin Hindenberg survives without accident...
In freak accident in 1938, the Hindenberg crashes aboard the venerable Titanic outside New York Harbor with massive loss of life aboard both craft....Conspiracists have a field-day...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL!!! So the Hindenberg sank the Titanic! LOL That is a great one!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:LOL!!! So the Hindenberg sank the Titanic! LOL That is a great one!

Lloyd's of London was subsequently bankrupted by that one....setting off another chain of economic dominos...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Leading to an even deeper depression! Makes sense! :D

HH....FIE
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Meteor/comet that hit earth and wiped out the dinosaurs never happened.

Mars landscape and atmosphere formed like earths and life started there as well.

Hawaiian islands were never formed.

Japanese sided with the Allies in WWII.

I don't if these have been mantioned, so forgive if I repeated someone else's. :D
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

bigbobsr6000 wrote:Mars landscape and atmosphere formed like earths and life started there as well.

They just launched a vast fleet of ships towards Earth. Appears to be similar tech to ours, they should be here in 3 months. Probably an invasion fleet, if it was peaceful negotiations they would have tried radio contact or sending a single ship.
bigbobsr6000
Hero

LostOne wrote:
bigbobsr6000 wrote:Mars landscape and atmosphere formed like earths and life started there as well.

They just launched a vast fleet of ships towards Earth. Appears to be similar tech to ours, they should be here in 3 months. Probably an invasion fleet, if it was peaceful negotiations they would have tried radio contact or sending a single ship.

Mars Attacks! "We come in peace...........Shoot to kill!"
taalismn
Priest

Alien invaders arrive intent on claiming our living space, ravaging our women, slaying our children, and enslaving our men...Unfortunately, several millenia of soft-living have degraded their energy weapons to mere laser-pointers, their advanced evolution has reduced them to pasty-skinned, flab-muscled nearsighted specimens, and they happen to taste just like corned beef and lobster and cook up nicely...

*Burp* sez a famished Earth as the first wave of invaders disappears down starving Third World gullets. "Send us more invaders!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

bigbobsr6000 wrote:Mars Attacks! "We come in peace...........Shoot to kill!"

"Do not run! We are your friends!" *zap* "Do not run! We are your friends!"
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! Some great ones!

The Second World War is fought without the benefits of Carriers. There are no naval carrier air wings. Everything is done by heavy guns. And the Battleships are still the rulers of the seas!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Ouch! That is something I didn't remember from history! Thank you for jogging my memory. :D

HH....FIE
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Disjointed Time World

Time doesn't always run in a neat pattern of 60 seconds to one minute. In this universe, time moves in such a scary fashion that within moments of stepping out of the Rift you see the world around you transition from a volcanic mess to somewhere out of H.G. Wells' worst nightmare. Staying on the world is pretty much fatal within minutes.

New Universe

The Rift opens into space. Guess what that bright light is off in the distance. Now, just guess what is speeding towards you faster than the speed of light. You have just witnessed the rare birth of a universe, but unless you run back where you came from you are blasted into subatomic particles.

Harvesters World

You step out of the Rift onto a green countryside. The air is a pleasant 80 degrees farenheit. The sun is shining, and the ground is soft. It's easy to notice that everywhere the eye can see there's ony one thing growing; some kind of green moss that permeates the landscape.

It's everywhere. What you thought was grass is the moss, extending as far as the eye can see. Forests are gone, the same with cities. In fact, no matter where you travel on this world you can't escape the fact that it's entirely covered with this green moss.

Magic users who end up here will notice their PPE replenished at an astonishing rate; 1D4x10 PPE per 20 minutes. There is also 100 PPE available, freely, per hour. The moss that permeates the planet is some kind of energy generator.

What is really unfortunate is that there is a highly advanced race that put the moss there in the first place. They have been harvesting it for centuries and aren't very happy when intruded upon. It's unlikely you will ever meet them, but because of your actions they have been introduced to your universe.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Earth slowly stops rotating over about a 1,000 years, time frame GM's choice. Could be just discoverd that it will happen, in the middle of the slow down or near the end.

The Moon leaves Earth's orbit influence. IRMC the Moon is actually expanding its orbit by an inch or 2 each year. Would you Science Guys varify that for me? Thanks.

None of the Presidents of the U.S. were assinated. Or the one before or after the one that was actually assinated was instead. Another twist all the attempted ones succeded and all the successful ones didn't.
taalismn
Priest

After Lincoln's assassination, his Vice President suspends the Constitution indefinitely and institutes a military dictatorship instead, using a strong Union Army to enforce martial law...the defeated South becomes conquered territory and is divided up by the victors, and Reconstruction never happens....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Texas still seceded from the Union in 1860 but das not join the Confederacy Insead they make a deal with England and France, where they abolish Slavery in exchange both countries sended ther Armies to provide protection of Texas from both the Union and Confederacy.

Lincoln accept this hoping Texas will rejoin after the war,the Confederacy das not and try to invade starting a two front war.

Tell me what you think?
taalismn
Priest

gaby wrote:Texas still seceded from the Union in 1860 but das not join the Confederacy Insead they make a deal with England and France, where they abolish Slavery in exchange both countries sended ther Armies to provide protection of Texas from both the Union and Confederacy.

Lincoln accept this hoping Texas will rejoin after the war,the Confederacy das not and try to invade starting a two front war.

Tell me what you think?

Emboldened by this, the Mormons of Utah declare their own Republic, and expect Texas, the Confederacy, and the Union to all pay them court for their support...Balkanization of the Frontier begins...As a result, California also declares itself a Republic, Russians become even more eager to unload Alaska(rather than be anywhere close to the brewhaha forming in North America) and begin shopping around for somebody to take it off their hands...California and Canada being attractive prospects...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent alternate universes.

Later after the American civil war end. There is a peace for 25 years. Then the Wild West begin as the small republics of North America's west begin to fight for territorial growth. This brush warfare will continue into the 20th century with no actual border changes.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Alaska succeeds from the US after the civil war, and becomes the North American version of Switzerland. Enjoys good relations with the Russians and Canadians, and charging the U.S. obscene rates on oil and gold from Fort Knox.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL That is a great addition Roscoe! Welcome back. It's been awhile since you were here lately! :D

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Yeah, had problems with my internet provider, then with with my connection, then picked up my Gamecube 2 (I will NOT call it a Wee)... you know how life goes, but I'm back now.

Oh, and before people start saying that Fort Knox is in the Lower 48, I mean the gold MINE, not the storage depot (yes it is a real place, I worked there for almost a year).
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”