Robots and androids

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

Robots and androids

Unread post by Larsen »

So how many campaigns in rifts has anyone had where they played a robot or android. Just wondering the advantages/disadvantages and fun of playing a machine character.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

duck-foot wrote:its easier to list the disadvantages
#1 social. nobody takes a robot has seiously has a humanoid, nor likes them has much. youll be less likely to make friends/allies (unless ofcourse you look human with artificial skin or something)
#2 money. you cant heal yourself and damage cost a lot to repair.
#3 mental. you may be 100 times more intelligent than a Human, but you are still a logical, cold calculating robot. this wont make you friends and might be exploited

Marvin the robot from "Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy" comes to mind. :D
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

THere better as side kicks and always go advaned AI or better. My Psi-tech has one as an aid/friend...Yeah I know poor AI. having them able to learn helps a lot.

Think about teaching a child...they need to be taught basic concepts like good/Evil, the difference between necessary force/Violence and such.

As a PBEM/PBP there great as they can make Non-Combat posting great.

My techno-organic and can change in to machinery, which helps in transportation as well as living tool. But more she has given me lots of good post opertunities and character development.

PC robots need a travel companion. It keeps them out trouble otherwise too many good RP situations are lost.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spark »

I had a Mechanoid (combat) Runt as a OPC with one character. The GM made sure to it that I had a hard time with him. Things like the Runt would try to phone the Mechanoids every now and then. Once While trying to turn it off, the damn thing was screaming "No prison love!" The little thing was really more useful as a mule and go-to boy then anything else, and ended his short life as a shield protecting against a Spector.

I do that to agree that if you do want a robot in a campaign, it's best to make it a OPC or a side-kick to PC. Robots really are too limited, and it's just cheaper and easier if they're used more like tools then people.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

i have had a wonderful time role-playing an advanced AI before. You can slowly develop your personality over your gaming sessions. Which lead to amazing group dynamic as your party help in your Android to have a more human attitude. Oh And you start out so powerful you really have to hold back in play, using the minimal effort to achieve your goal. You can be much more skilled than any person and your combat abilities start at level 8. And robot repair kit give you a type of regeneration ability if used right. They can be a little munchkin if your not careful. But they are amazingly fun to play.
Last edited by Blight on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

macksting wrote:As a DM, if one of your players was playing an android or robot and was smashed to pieces, would you allow that mechanical brain to be installed in a mecha as permanent pilot?

Yes, I would consider it. The vehicle type and orientation would be my question.

Say a glitterboy and His suit might be a go, but by and large the vehicle would need to be self-piloting to really let it happen, as in a non-PA.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I HATE when people play Lost in Space Robot. I think they should play more Star Trek Data...

Robots are generally crappy role playing expierences for the other players and the GM of the group. Unless they have a personality, Robots suck for everybody except for the person playing them.

Nobody like to RP with a predictable outcome. Otherwise, why role play?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

I prefer playing Reploid type characters in Rifts (the term coined from the Megaman X series for replicate androids). They have a fully human personality, indefinite lifespan, can be upgraded easily, and self repair to an extent (they can't regenerate an arm or leg, but they can reattach an appendage). The self repair takes raw materials, but they can turn normal things like food and drink into energy to power their own systems. The only issue I've ever had with a android character is when the time comes to replace the power core, which is used to power weapon systems, enhanced optics, and other special features beyond basic reploid systems. The only people on Rifts Earth who could make a power core that is compatible with a human sized battle android are Triax, Naruni Enterprises, and the Coalition States. I've found that scavenging skelebots works to an extent, but finding a fully functional power core that hasn't detonated in one of those things is pretty difficult.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Played a Robot PC based on a common vehicle frame...sure, it limited my ability to get in on the action, especially in small comfined spaces(I had smaller drones for that purpose), but since I couldn't always attend games, it was a useful way to have a logical reason for not being 'there'...

The great advantage was that in local troube situations, few people realized the 'vehicle' was actually aware and able to act on its own(the drones was assumed to be remote controlled by another PC or were under their own direction)...made breaking out of the impound yard REAL easy... :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

taalismn wrote:Played a Robot PC based on a common vehicle frame...sure, it limited my ability to get in on the action, especially in small comfined spaces(I had smaller drones for that purpose), but since I couldn't always attend games, it was a useful way to have a logical reason for not being 'there'...

The great advantage was that in local troube situations, few people realized the 'vehicle' was actually aware and able to act on its own(the drones was assumed to be remote controlled by another PC or were under their own direction)...made breaking out of the impound yard REAL easy... :D

That sounds like a great antagonist.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Yeah, it was...KITT had nothing on me... :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"