how do you handle Timed shots or actions?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

how do you handle Timed shots or actions?

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

By timed I mean I have a 10 gauge shotgun full of silver Buckshot and want hit a Werewolf as he jumps to get that extra impact....Would have to roll Initative or take 1 initative lower than Wolf boy?

This would also apply to Super Natural/Mutant strength and pulling off "Path of Neo"esque moves like using Deadboys as Nunchucks.....grabbing their legs and swing using them as weapons...would this move count as catching and hence a called shot?

RD
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Playing by the normal rules, I would have you and wolf-boy roll initiative, if you won you could get off the shot.

My group uses a chart of my wife's devising that breaks the melee round up into 15 segments. When each of your actions take place depends on how many actions total you have. For example a PC with 5 actions goes on segments 2, 5, 8, 11, & 14. If you have an action in the segment before your opponent, you can do an attack like you describe. (in fact in order to do a simultaneous attack in my game, you must have an action in the segment before your opponents attack, or be able to act in the same segment.) Dodging uses up your next attack, wherever it is on the chart, and your initiative modifier allows you to move an action up or down the chart as many segments as you have points in bonus. Attacks and spells that use up two or more attacks, like making an aimed shot, are considered to be started with the first attack, and completed with the second. (Or third) If someone can successfully attack in any of the segments that the attack is occurring in, they may be able to disrupt the attack or spell.

The downside of this rule is that it takes longer to resolve combat when you're not familiar with the chart. However, as you become accustom to the rule, things speed up. Also, having a lot of attacks and an initiative bonus means you have a lot of control over the battle, you move faster, your opponents have less chance of disrupting your attacks, and you have a lot more options for attack and defense.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Sounds alot like the eh.. I think it's Mekton action pass chart with a few added twists.

I've often thought of trying to use that sort of thing with rifts myself, since it doesnt slow combat down terribly much but it definately helps you quickly (once your used to the system) of figguring out can you act in time to interrupt some one doing something or not etc.

It also helps make things make a touch more sense when you have oponents with different combat speeds. Most RPG systems you just keep using actions untill everyone runs out one after the other. But that doenst really make sense, not to mention it makes for some really strange.. occurances when one oponent has vasty lmore attacks than another.

Best example I have is one Rifts game I had a level 8 char who had at the time simething like 9 attacks per melee, go up against a bunch of NPCs with 4-6 attacks each. So everything would run alogn smoothly untill the other NPCs ran out of actions and suddenly and inexplicably i'm able ot just whack the living daylights out of them with a series of as many as 5 attacks in a row?

Kinda breaks the mood in my opinion.

On the other hand if you have it in a situation where say one guy has 8 attacks the other guy only 4, so guy #1 has 2 attacks for everyone one Guy #2 has it flows abit more naturally in my opinion.

Just follow Kalinda's chart example and you'll see for your self. This also allows you to pull off some really neat moves (Such as shooting oponents that are leapign mid air etc)
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Mekton action pass chart...I'll have to find one of those. That's on the cutting floors or do I need to go surfing for it?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.

Return to “Rifts®”