Its now been 6 days since Kevin's last update....

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Treefrog
Wanderer

Its now been 6 days since Kevin's last update....

Unread post by Treefrog »

..... And I was wondering if there is word back from HG on his proposal? Or are we going to be kept in the dark?

Just wondering....
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Just from a business point of view, HG will probably take at LEAST 2-3 months to review all proposals for a renewal of the RPG license- Palladiums' included.

Once all the business/financial arrangements are hammered out, I'm sure we'll be informed.

:D
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Treefrog
Wanderer

Grand Paladin wrote:Just from a business point of view, HG will probably take at LEAST 2-3 months to review all proposals for a renewal of the RPG license- Palladiums' included.

Once all the business/financial arrangements are hammered out, I'm sure we'll be informed.

:D

Oh, okay.... I'm just very anxious for Robotech to return to PB that's all.....
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

If HG was smart they will go with Palladium. Kevin has done Robotech before and with fan help will only improve on what he has. Plus there is a huge fan base already in place waiting to buy. If they were to go with say D20 then my money would not go their way.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Y'know, I'm not sure it would take them that long....2-3 months I mean.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Marrowlight wrote:Y'know, I'm not sure it would take them that long....2-3 months I mean.

That's a guess on my part, but whose to say that HG hasn't already screened other game company proposals? We can't really be sure of when HG has started asking for business plans for the license renewal from RPG companies like Palladium, and we can't assume that Palladium was call #1 on the list (although it SHOULD have been in my opinion).

Plus then there's the conversations/negotiations over the phone, in person, etc... that need to happen that will be added into a revised proposal. Blah-blah-blah.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Unread post by GundamChief »

just throwing it out there but, would it be wrong to guess that another reason for renewing Robotech be because he has a large stock of robotech books that haven't been sold yet, which would provide the company a sort of...money making oppertunity and put thier sales up again at some convention somewhere.

just a guess.
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

Hey I would buy doubles for my collection.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
Treefrog
Wanderer

GundamChief wrote:just throwing it out there but, would it be wrong to guess that another reason for renewing Robotech be because he has a large stock of robotech books that haven't been sold yet, which would provide the company a sort of...money making oppertunity and put thier sales up again at some convention somewhere.

just a guess.

Is there anything wrong with this? Nope.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Treefrog wrote:
GundamChief wrote:just throwing it out there but, would it be wrong to guess that another reason for renewing Robotech be because he has a large stock of robotech books that haven't been sold yet, which would provide the company a sort of...money making oppertunity and put thier sales up again at some convention somewhere.

just a guess.

Is there anything wrong with this? Nope.

There isn't anything wrong with that idea, but Palladium had a big sale about 5 years ago to clear out their inventory of Robotech product- so unfortunately it is not possible.
:-(
— Oscar Wilde
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Janus wrote:If HG was smart they will go with Palladium. Kevin has done Robotech before and with fan help will only improve on what he has. Plus there is a huge fan base already in place waiting to buy. If they were to go with say D20 then my money would not go their way.

I with you there in fact I would go the evil route (not going to say the "C" word) if d20 picked up the license.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Kevin wrote:Reacquiring the Robotech RPG license feels good! I made a formal offer last week, had a brief chat this week, and expect to get down to brass tacks in the next week or two. Excited about this prospect and feeling good about our chance. And we have a couple other things percolating behind the scenes.

Does this mean PB has the Robotech license again or is it just "Hey I sent it in and feel good about it"?

Here is the link to the quoted thread: viewtopic.php?t=59202
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Lt. Holmes
Adventurer

Unread post by Lt. Holmes »

jedi078 wrote:
Kevin wrote:Reacquiring the Robotech RPG license feels good! I made a formal offer last week, had a brief chat this week, and expect to get down to brass tacks in the next week or two. Excited about this prospect and feeling good about our chance. And we have a couple other things percolating behind the scenes.

Does this mean PB has the Robotech license again or is it just "Hey I sent it in and feel good about it"?

Here is the link to the quoted thread: viewtopic.php?t=59202

Be careful about getting your hopes up. I'm still waiting on Mechanoids In Space.
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Lt. Holmes wrote:
Be careful about getting your hopes up. I'm still waiting on Mechanoids In Space.

Me too, but I this Robotech we are talking about....of course I don't want to see re-prints but a total over haul of the game....
SailorCallie
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I wanna nuke!

Unread post by SailorCallie »

jedi078 wrote:
Lt. Holmes wrote:

Me too, but I this Robotech we are talking about....of course I don't want to see re-prints but a total over haul of the game....

Agreed.
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Alejandro wrote:I'm content to see Robotech just come out in RPG form again.

If Palladium was smart it would would go OGL on this new printing of books because new ones need to be written...not just reprinting old ones. As much as people around her hate the d20 system, they cannot argue it is the undisputed number 1 system around. Palladium's sales aren't anywhere near WotC's, nor is its fanbase. Placing in OGL additional stuff would allow for a much broader appeal; that way new players could still play Robotech yet start to understand Palladium's rule system.

If they like it, they would now be able to get into other Palladium products, like Rifts. And.....Rifts....

Well the d20 for PB debate can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=53080

Palladium's system is Palladium's because they don't use the d20 system.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I can see a D20 conversion supplement for the players who wish to play D20, but I for one dont want that crap in my Robotech books. Anyway, KS is stubborn enough to not include it anyway (which in this case is a good thing).
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Alejandro wrote:
Kagashi wrote:I can see a D20 conversion supplement for the players who wish to play D20, but I for one dont want that crap in my Robotech books. Anyway, KS is stubborn enough to not include it anyway (which in this case is a good thing).

Failure to make compromises also leads to a company to have a very limited fanbase and I'm sorry...maybe you could enlighten me on Palladium's financial health again?

Never said it was the right approach to making money, but its the right thing to do for fans who loath the D20 system. Macintosh could have been IBM compatable a long time ago...
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Alejandro wrote:EDIT: Oh, and one thing to keep in mind. If Palladium can't get the money together to save itself...who do you think would be next to get the Robotech license? I'll give you a hint...the company's name starts with Wizards

And you've heard this from whom?

Anyway, there will be no d20/OGL appended to the Robotech RPG simply because of the massive legal landmine inherent in having 2 competing systems in 1 licensed game product.
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Well this is a nice can of worms I opened up......
Treefrog
Wanderer

As someone who has played both d20 and the Palladium system, I'm not going to try the whole argument for or against either system.

I started this thread only to find out if there was any news about the proposal that KS had submitted to HG, and only that.

So please, let's focus on speculating about the contents of the proposal, and nothing else.
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

Alejandro: sent you a PM, so we don't de-rail the thread anymore... :D

I'm looking forward to new PB RT books, whether it's re-prints of some of the old books, new updated books, or just new material all together! :D
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”