Idiotic things you had to put with from your group

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marcantony
Adventurer

Idiotic things you had to put with from your group

Unread post by Marcantony »

Many years ago the Rifts group I had recently joined decided to try out HU, which back then was the revised version. However they refused to allow me to use any of the powers from the VU book I had just got because.. I was playing a hero and the book was called VILLAINS Unlimited.

Their interpretation was that this meant only villains could use powers from that book. Nothing could sway them from this. :frust:

And this is on top of I had pointed out previously they had gotten the combat system completely wrong, especially the attacks per melee part. They accepted this but then decided theyd been playing that way for so long they werent going to change now. :shock:

I went along with it though. It was still fun to play. :)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I had a very small gaming group, so to keep the game going I ended up having to pander to the players more than I would've liked, otherwise even one player leaving could end the game. So as the PC's gave me their Rifts character ideas for the HU inspired town, all seemed in relative order until the guy who told me that he wanted to play a Ninja showed me his.

He didn't want to play a Ninja, he wanted to play Sauske, from the anime Naruto. It didn't matter to him that a character like that was completely unsupported by the system. He made up effectively a brand new OCC, complete with level progression abilities in order to simulate it. He would not be swayed from his choice, and as I said, if we lost one player the game would not go on (the players didn't want to play with too few people).

I hated every bit of that character, but I was forced to live with it. That campaign eventually died (in no smal part from the Sauske guy being unhappy with how his character played out), but it didn't die fast enough. :x
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Ironclad wrote:Is this apart from some of them actually turning up?

My games would run so much smoother without the irritation of having to deal with the players...

That's carrying the Solitaire adventure a little far, donchathink? :lol:
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

well i imagine this one is probably fairly universal, but it comes back time after time after time.

one of our players plays the exact same character in every game we play. the character's name is always Id(he idolizes Id from xenogears) he would argue that they are all very different, because they are different classes or occ's or whatnot, but that's not what i'm talking about. he plays the exact same arrogant a**hole(ALWAYS aberrant, because it's "the best allignment") who has a very you-can-all-go-to-he**-if-it-makes-me-just-that-much-more-powerful attitude. he doesn't ever get along with the rest of the group, and he loves the my-character-could-kill-your-character game. he sees no reason to stop doing this, because we have only 4 or 5 players at a time and we don't want to lose any.

oh, and i never had munchkin thoughts before i gamed with him. it's gotten to the point that i don't even realize it when i'm doing something rediculous.

does anyone know a way to resolve this?
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Sentinel
Palladin

znbrtn wrote:well i imagine this one is probably fairly universal, but it comes back time after time after time.

one of our players plays the exact same character in every game we play. the character's name is always Id(he idolizes Id from xenogears) he would argue that they are all very different, because they are different classes or occ's or whatnot, but that's not what i'm talking about. he plays the exact same arrogant a**hole(ALWAYS aberrant, because it's "the best allignment") who has a very you-can-all-go-to-he**-if-it-makes-me-just-that-much-more-powerful attitude.
Just one more reason I don't allow evil alignments in my campaign for player characters.
he doesn't ever get along with the rest of the group, and he loves the my-character-could-kill-your-character game. he sees no reason to stop doing this, because we have only 4 or 5 players at a time and we don't want to lose any.
Even at the risk of him alienating the rest of the players?
oh, and i never had munchkin thoughts before i gamed with him. it's gotten to the point that i don't even realize it when i'm doing something rediculous.

does anyone know a way to resolve this?

I haven't had this problem over much, but when I did, I found the best way to fix things was to keep putting the character in situations outside of their normal venue. For the tech-based character, that would mean more supernatural and magic-dominated campaigns, for example.

You might also consider restricting OCC choices, and restricting Alignments.

Sentinel
Palladin

Ironclad wrote:Thinking about it I have done some pretty daft things in my time too...

In a D&D game we came across a toxic fungoid creature that multiplied if you sliced it with bladed weapons..

As I had a dwarven fighter I figured with my high constitution I would eat the monster..

Oddly enough it worked :-D

What would have happened if you had used non-bladed implements?
Although not terribly effective at the task, spoons can be used to cut things.
So could a weighted wire slung really fast.

Sentinel
Palladin

Ironclad wrote:You know D&D, not quite as fast and easy as HU...

It actually has rules :-P

I think we could have belted it with blunt objects but I think they were a bit sparse

Some of the clunkiest rules, to be sure.
I'll never go back.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”