458 SOCOM

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GhostKnight
Adventurer

458 SOCOM

Post by GhostKnight »

OK gun fanatics... I have a question. What do you think of the 458 SOCOM?

I'm just about finished putting another scope on my 44 mag and a silencer on my 45. I'm looking at getting a 458 SOCOM upper receiver and outfitting it as my next project. I just don't like a 223 (except for plinking) and the 308 upper has to much penetration for urban defense.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Post by J. Lionheart »

Well, I'm not a gun person, and have no opinion on the 458 SOCOM.

It is frequently, however, illegal to put a silencer on your gun. Hopefully you've gone through the necessary steps, done the necessary forms, and talked to the necessary people to have one? I'd hate to see a board member get nailed for that! Suffice to say, the ATF will take an interest in it, and the FBI may as well.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Post by GhostKnight »

J. Lionheart wrote:Well, I'm not a gun person, and have no opinion on the 458 SOCOM.

It is frequently, however, illegal to put a silencer on your gun. Hopefully you've gone through the necessary steps, done the necessary forms, and talked to the necessary people to have one? I'd hate to see a board member get nailed for that! Suffice to say, the ATF will take an interest in it, and the FBI may as well.

Of course. That's all already done. Researched it, know the laws, and the paperwork is done.

The FBI doesn't need to investigate me. They already have a file over an inch thick. :D
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Rockwolf66
Hero

Post by Rockwolf66 »

From looking at the Balistics it's an impressive round. I have shot .45-70 out of a Quigly Sharps and the balistics at close range look similar. Remember if you are getting the flat top upper get a set of back up sights. Fortier may think that all you need is glass but I have seen scopes fail way too many times.

Personally I would like to try the round wild Pig hunting.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Post by GhostKnight »

I tend to spend at least 50% of the cost of a firearm later in optics. I'm putting a leupold on my 44 mag right now.

I've used a Marlin 45-70 for elk hunting. Good rifle and good round. That's even with a standard round... I've tried the hot load corbon that has twice the energy and it's a devastating firearm.

I was thinking of a 50 Beowulf but the 458 is looking better. Good ballistics, great loads, and you don't have to modify the magazine. 600 grain bullets for short range. :eek:
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Post by Jefffar »

I guess it depends what you are after. If you are after somethign that will hit like a .308, but has less range, less penetration, a trajectory like a rainbow, but impressive tissue damage and low report with a suppressor, the 458 should do some pretty impressive things.

If you are looking to penetrate armour or shoot long range I'd suggest a .308. If you are looking for a short range anti-materiel weapon, I'd sggest the .50 Beowulf.
Last edited by Jefffar on Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Post by Jefffar »

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

GhostKnight
Adventurer

Post by GhostKnight »

The 458 has a wide variety of loads, including a 450 grain bullet at 2400 ft/lb versus the 50 Beowulf 400 grain at 2600 ft/lb. The 458 also doesn't require a modified magazine.

For long range I have a 308 (up to 300 meters), a 300 ultra mag sighted in at 800 meters, and various other hardware.

On a side note from a game perspective... I'd guess than the 458 or 50 would do something like 6d6 damage.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Post by Jefffar »

Yeah, that's about where I rank 'em. I also put .338 Lapua in that category too.

Too bad .357 is a rimmed round, I've always thought a version of the M16 chambered for it would be a fearsome home defence / police weapon.

Rockwolf66
Hero

Post by Rockwolf66 »

Jefffar wrote:Yeah, that's about where I rank 'em. I also put .338 Lapua in that category too.

Too bad .357 is a rimmed round, I've always thought a version of the M16 chambered for it would be a fearsome home defence / police weapon.

Tony over at Tromix has already built AR-15/M-16s in a .357 Automag. He's also made Rifles in alot of other calibers too. My favorites are his Saiga-12 shotguns. As for AR-15's I'm saving up for an SPR build.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Post by GreenGhost »

duck-foot wrote:its illegal to put a silencer on guns. unless thats changed. has it?

Actually it probably depends on what state you live in. In Colorado I know that it's been legal for at least 10-15 years. You just need to have the silencer serialized to the weapon that it's to be used on. not to mention having the barrel threaded for that particular silence. This helps prevents some fool from trying to sell the silencer or trying put it on another weapon.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Rockwolf66
Hero

Post by Rockwolf66 »

duck-foot wrote:its illegal to put a silencer on guns. unless thats changed. has it?

I sugest that you read up on the National Firearms Act of 1934, Gun Control Act of 1968, and the Firearms Owners Protection act. You should note that None of those laws Ban Sound Supressors/ Silencers. Any such ban is state law, not federal. Personally a supressed weapon is a great idea to protect both the shooters hearing and the peace and quiet of the area around ones local shooting range. In fact in some European Counties you cannot shoot an unsupressed firearm.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Post by GreenGhost »

Rockwolf66 wrote:

I sugest that you read up on the National Firearms Act of 1934, Gun Control Act of 1968, and the Firearms Owners Protection act. You should note that None of those laws Ban Sound Supressors/ Silencers. Any such ban is state law, not federal. Personally a supressed weapon is a great idea to protect both the shooters hearing and the peace and quiet of the area around ones local shooting range. In fact in some European Counties you cannot shoot an unsupressed firearm.

Nicely put.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Rockwolf66
Hero

Post by Rockwolf66 »

GreenGhost wrote:Nicely put.

Thank you. I have a couple aquaintances in the Class III comunity. I am also a Member of http://www.battlerifles.com/ http://www.thegunzone.com forum. As such I have crossed keyboards with experts on the subject. While I am by no means an expert I do my best to be reasonably informed.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Post by Rockwolf66 »

duck-foot wrote:thanks for the info

Then you will probably like the Finns on Reflex supressors, or Advanced- Armament Corp for more information.

As for myself I live in a Dealer Only state at the moment. Which really bites as I live too close to a school to get a Firearms dealer license of any kind( The FFL is also required for gunsmiths which restricts me to selling parts or getting a middleman).
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Post by GhostKnight »

I'm looking at a Gemtech.

I just got my scope for the 44 on Friday. Have to get rings and finish it, then finish the silencer. I'm still looking hard at the 458 for my 3rd project.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Rockwolf66
Hero

Post by Rockwolf66 »

GhostKnight wrote:I'm looking at a Gemtech.

I just got my scope for the 44 on Friday. Have to get rings and finish it, then finish the silencer. I'm still looking hard at the 458 for my 3rd project.

It seems that Rock River Arms have both uppers and complete rifles for sale. Personally the SPR build is going to have to wait as I don't have the $2,000 for a Mark 12 Mod 0 SPR upper. it says something about having a 1,000m accurate 5.56X45mm rifle.

Thar reminds me I need to work on reworking some of the recon weapons systems, as they are seriously dated.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”