Rifter 0 Update (September 27 Update on pg. 7)

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Rifter 0 Update (September 27 Update on pg. 7)

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

All the text files have been sent into Kevin and Wayne for final approval. Will update with more news when I get it.
Last edited by Prince Artemis on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Rifter 0 Update March 8

Unread post by Chaos »

Prince Artemis wrote:All the text files have been sent into Kevin and Wayne for final approval. Will update with more news when I get it.

Sweetness :D

Misfit KotLD wrote:*Waiting*

Me too :ok: I'm a little jumpy about it though kinda fidgeting even :D
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Rifter 0 Update March 8

Unread post by Chaos »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Chaos wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:All the text files have been sent into Kevin and Wayne for final approval. Will update with more news when I get it.

Sweetness :D

Misfit KotLD wrote:*Waiting*

Me too :ok: I'm a little jumpy about it though kinda fidgeting even :D

You one of the contributors?

Nope I just get excited over stuff like this I like spoofing PDF's (for myself with house rules and board contrbutions) and am anxious to see what an official PDF would look like. I just want to see how good mine really are and this is the first official - unofficial PDF to be made officially available as a fan project. I guess its just so I can compare formats and such plus I have heard there is some great material going into it :ok:
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

So, Rifter #0 will be available as a PDF? If so, how much?
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
BookWyrm
Champion

Well, once I see it, I'll save it to CD-rom. Then I can take it to a Kinko's or my local printer shop & have them print it up. :)
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chaos »

BookWyrm wrote:Well, once I see it, I'll save it to CD-rom. Then I can take it to a Kinko's or my local printer shop & have them print it up. :)

Really? If they do that they are breaking the law man, Kinko's doesn't touch copyrighted work or they didn't used to I couldn't even copy my stuff out of Sci-Fi Monthly!
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

Price is still unknown exactly, but both myself and Kevin agree that it's going to be cheap, considering that with the possible exception of bandwith costs, this project has cost them nothing. My idea is to use it as a donation incentive like web comics use, but it's entirely up to them. I can only make suggestions as far as that goes.

There IS reprintable content in Rifter0 with specific notes for some of it to that effect. One entry that was great for this and I can see GM's and players using it a lot for making characters. One thing that surprised me was that no one submitted a character sheet idea, which would have been put in almost automatically as long as it looked good. Ah well, maybe someone will for the possible Rifter0.1

When I combined all the material i had into one file, at 12 point font, there was 104 pages. That's not including my letter, kevin's letter, the news pages, and the catalogue. Now, that was pre-approval, so they may cut some stuff out. That's just what I saw so far.

The art is still being worked on and i liked what I saw. There's not enough however so there will be some legit palladium art in it by the end. Kevin was surprised I even tried to get my own art for it in the first place :D

So, aside from any questions about specific content, I'm willing to answer any questions you guys might have.
BookWyrm
Champion

Chaos wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:Well, once I see it, I'll save it to CD-rom. Then I can take it to a Kinko's or my local printer shop & have them print it up. :)

Really? If they do that they are breaking the law man, Kinko's doesn't touch copyrighted work or they didn't used to I couldn't even copy my stuff out of Sci-Fi Monthly!

I meant after I purchase it.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chaos »

BookWyrm wrote:
Chaos wrote:

I meant after I purchase it.

I know BookWyrm, I just didn't think any kinko's or copy max would do stuff like that because of the trouble I'd had with my short story (but that was back in '92) I figured it would have to be done at home and of inferior quality, I wasn't lashing out I was more in Awe and was telling you what they told me and surprised they would do it because of copyright laws. I forget you all can't see the look on my face or the gestures I make when I post, which is probably a good thing for a few people :p
BookWyrm
Champion

It's cool, Chaos. If there's a problem, I'll print out the reciept & show them. But if they can't do it, I'll print it up myself.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

You could say Rifter0 Contributer :)
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Well, I have about as much authority as anyone else. But when it comes out and your stuff is in it, it's not like your lying right?
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chaos »

BookWyrm wrote:It's cool, Chaos. If there's a problem, I'll print out the reciept & show them. But if they can't do it, I'll print it up myself.

Me too :ok:

Can't wait to see it!

Prince what do you think our chances are for getting another one the 0.1 you mentioned, because it takes me a while to write. I constantly go back and edit and revise my manuscript several times before I am happy with it and I would love to try to get in a future one. I'm not confident enough in my skills to run anything in front of Wayne yet though. I think an unofficial project like this would be great to get my feet wet on though.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Chaos wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:It's cool, Chaos. If there's a problem, I'll print out the reciept & show them. But if they can't do it, I'll print it up myself.

Can't wait to see it!

Prince what do you think our chances are for getting another one the 0.1 you mentioned, because it takes me a while to write. I constantly go back and edit and revise my manuscript several times before I am happy with it and I would love to try to get in a future one. I'm not confident enough in my skills to run anything in front of Wayne yet though. I think an unofficial project like this would be great to get my feet wet on though.

0.1 would depend on a few factors. 1) That Kevin and the guys use this one. 2) That the authorize a second one. 3) That I get enough printable material to do so.

Also, keep in mind that they are still the ones that ultimately get the final say in what does and doesn't get in. I can think of atleast one submission that won't get in this time around, possibly two (The latter is actually mine. It occured to me after I sent it that I didn't proof read the update I gave it. Spent too much time working on the other stuff I forgot about my own contribution).

So, it's very much a wait and see situation.

As it stands, even if they DO let me do another one, then it will likely be next year, with November 30th being the submission deadline. DON'T send stuff now though. Wait and see how successful this one is.
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chaos »

Prince Artemis wrote:As it stands, even if they DO let me do another one, then it will likely be next year, with November 30th being the submission deadline. DON'T send stuff now though. Wait and see how successful this one is.

That would be perfect for me :D I'll start working on something and hey if it don't work out I'll just send it to Wayne and pray for him to like it and rush off to add it to the next issue post haste :ok:

:lol: Whats the worst that can happen after all lol they say no and I just start writing something else for my next attempt :D
cmbtbiker

Unread post by cmbtbiker »

It would be nice if they took stuff that wasn't up to Rifter standards per se but still cool and used some of it for Rifter 0.1. Another outlet for us fans can't hurt right.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

cmbtbiker wrote:It would be nice if they took stuff that wasn't up to Rifter standards per se but still cool and used some of it for Rifter 0.1. Another outlet for us fans can't hurt right.

The stuff I did receive was all up to Rifter standards though. The one article that i said probably won't get in (aside from mine) was a Second article submitted by someone. The first was a rather great Robotech adventure. Since the contract hasn't been finished for that yet though, I couldn't include it in this edition and I suggested the contributor send it to palladium anyway since they could put it in the Rifter once everything was finalized.

One article was taken from Rifter0 because palladium wanted it for something else :D I won't say what but it was a good adventure and KS wanted to see if they could use it themselves.

The stuff that is in there though is really good and I'm going to be calling KS today to see what the progress is.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Printing a PDF for personal use does not violate copyright. Selling a printed PDF is another issue entirely. Other than Kinkos, you may want to consider Lulu.com or PrintFu.org if you would like to print out a single copy for personal usage.

Personally, I have never had a problem with single copy printing with Kinkos. They only time they ever asked me about copyright was when I was doing 10+ copies of a hefty document (which was my own work).

Here's another idea for printing. Crank out the pages on a laser printer. Then go to Kinkos for them to cut holes and bind right while you wait. That would be your fastest / possibly cheapest route.

Remember - you can't sell a PDF you printed, not even on eBay unless you own the rights. However, creating a copy on CD for your own file storage or printing a personal copy is yokey-dokey-smokey.

BTW, thank you big time to Prince Artemis for leading the charge on the Rifter 0 project. I hope you get to work out something so you can host the Rifter 0 on RPGnow and Lulu.com in the future - especially RPGnow since they are the Big Dog of the RPG PDF world.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

you do realize that the distance between any two numbers is infinate right?

going the route of 0.# doesn't limit me to 9, because I can just go 0.##

Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves shall we? I'm still waiting for news on 0 :D
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Talked to Wayne. They have the email with all the files, but they haven't had time to look them over. Which is fine. This project is to help them not take up valuable time.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Still no further word.
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

Was this a random project you started working on or did you get the green light before working on it? Just curious. :crane:
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Quester wrote:It was an idea he came up with and received approval from the Powers That Be.

Well, to be more accurate, I didn't come up with it. When Kevin first announced the crisis, me and a whole bunch of others were brainstorming ways that we could help. This was one of the ideas that came up but no one really ran with it. After a while I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

Kevin's liked the idea since I suggested it, but it will take some time for them to read through everything and give the final ok.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Chaos wrote:

Can't wait to see it!

I find sitting on it for a month or two and rereading or having others read it allows for the errors that you missed to come out.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Anything new heard about it? Would have been sweet if it was ready by the OH.
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

sawg138 wrote:
duck-foot wrote:uh ok. lets just say ive been living on mars in a cave with my hands over my ears. what is this about a Rifter #0

A Rifter in PDF only format.

*Edit* And I've never been to Mars, it's too red.

I never could quite grok the residents... :P
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

::Darkstone:: wrote:Has the time for submitting art already passed? Saddly this is the first I've heard of this and I'd love to include some work.

That all depends really, since due to a bit of idiocy on my part the contracts just made it out to palladium last week for them to start looking over the submissions, and then they have to get back to me. So, tentatively I would say yes, however you'll need to send the art and an unsolicited submission form to them with a note saying it's for rifter0.

I'm more then happy to take more art, seeing as half the artists that volunteered didn't actually produce anything for me.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Just a bit of an update. Rifter0 and the USM Contracts are in Kevin and Wayne's hands and they will be going over the material sometime in the near future (though honestly, I don't mind them taking their time, there's a lot on their plate as it is). Kevin will work up some contracts for the good stuff and send them out to those that got the okay. Then, I'll be going over the material and putting it together into the pdf and sending it back to them for them to finish anything they want to finish, like attaching a catalogue and what not. So, progress is being made.
rebis
Wanderer

Unread post by rebis »

Prince Artemis wrote:I'm more then happy to take more art, seeing as half the artists that volunteered didn't actually produce anything for me.

I'm sorry to see that more artist didn't step up. I would of liked to do more, so if you need help in the future let me know. Also maybe a little more room for bigger and more complex drawings is always good.:D
Check out my artwork at http://rebis.deviantart.com/

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others. -Hasidic Saying
rebis
Wanderer

Unread post by rebis »

Mana Trance wrote:Hopefully Kevin deems my work fit to be included in the final product!

Either way, I'm up for doing more artwork for Rifter #0 type things in the future, if you need me.

I'm sure that your make it in the Rifter #0, I just checked out your dA account. It looks real good.
Check out my artwork at http://rebis.deviantart.com/

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others. -Hasidic Saying
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

By the way, Rifter 0 now has a cover :D
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Prince Artemis wrote:By the way, Rifter 0 now has a cover :D

You say that, but no preview pic. Tease. And not in the good way. :D
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

verdilak wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:By the way, Rifter 0 now has a cover :D

You say that, but no preview pic. Tease. And not in the good way. :D

You'll all see it soon enough.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Um, to settle this, i'll see with Kevin if it would be okay to put an 'okay to be reprinted' notice inside it....no promises though.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Prince Artemis wrote:Um, to settle this, i'll see with Kevin if it would be okay to put an 'okay to be reprinted' notice inside it....no promises though.

You may want to look up the printing license agreements on RPGnow and other PDF sites. Usually, the owner of the PDF has the right to unlimited reprints for personal use only, no resale. Usually the digital rights are for one copy per computer for personal use plus permission for a CD backup file.

Many PDF publishers also give you free updates, so if Rifter #0 needs to be erratta'd or gets additional art past the deadline or even a new article added, then everyone who bought the PDF gets the upgraded PDF for free.

Since its all digital, it costs the publisher nothing to give out these upgraded copies and the fans feel good about the initial purchase.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Spinachcat wrote:Many PDF publishers also give you free updates, so if Rifter #0 needs to be erratta'd or gets additional art past the deadline or even a new article added, then everyone who bought the PDF gets the upgraded PDF for free.

Since its all digital, it costs the publisher nothing to give out these upgraded copies and the fans feel good about the initial purchase.

The only problem there is Palladium isn't producing the finished product. I am. And once it's as finished as i can get it, then I hand it over to them for them to put up and my part in all this is done. Meaning the person who would do the updates isn't going to be able to do any updates. While that's a good system and all, it doesn't work with this particular set up.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

BookWyrm wrote:I meant after I purchase it.

That would still be illegal.

-Dennis
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Chaos wrote:I know BookWyrm, I just didn't think any kinko's or copy max would do stuff like that because of the trouble I'd had with my short story (but that was back in '92) I figured it would have to be done at home and of inferior quality, I wasn't lashing out I was more in Awe and was telling you what they told me and surprised they would do it because of copyright laws. I forget you all can't see the look on my face or the gestures I make when I post, which is probably a good thing for a few people :p

The one time I've had to print something that was copyrighted at Kinkos, I had to get a signed contract from the publisher allowing me to print a copy for use as a greeting card. It was a Userfriendly comic strip that I made into a Mother's Day card.

-Dennis
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Subjugator wrote:The one time I've had to print something that was copyrighted at Kinkos, I had to get a signed contract from the publisher allowing me to print a copy for use as a greeting card.

Next time, go in with your Crazy headplugs. They won't ask any more questions!
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

Spinachcat wrote:
Subjugator wrote:The one time I've had to print something that was copyrighted at Kinkos, I had to get a signed contract from the publisher allowing me to print a copy for use as a greeting card.

Next time, go in with your Crazy headplugs. They won't ask any more questions!

...instead they'll call the cops! :P :lol:

(seriously, I get the oddest questions if I wear my "I helped save the Megaverse..." shirt, when I do weekend errands! :lol: )
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Any news?
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Kevin and Wayne liked most of it and they'll be sending out the contracts soon
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

viewtopic.php?t=76738

If you missed it. He finally mentioned the project. I really should get to finalizing my submission for it...
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Cool! Congrats! Hopefully it'll be released soon! :ok:
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Any further word on this?
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Aramanthus
Monk

Just checking any further updates?
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Kev will be sending out contracts soon, then i just have to final edit some stuff and then do layout. Depending on the contracts it might be out by november.
Aramanthus
Monk

Any idea how much it's going to run? Can we call them to order it?

HH....FIE
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Aramanthus wrote:Any idea how much it's going to run? Can we call them to order it?

No idea, but it's not going to be much. As for ordering it, it's not going to be an actual book but a pdf download.
Aramanthus
Monk

So I wonder if we can call in and order it that way. And then get some sort of downloading code? I'll keep checking back in for updates. Thanks for the update!

HH....FIE

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”