Design an AFV

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Design an AFV

Unread post by Jefffar »

If you need to know, AFV isn't some silly TV show, it stands for Armoured Fighting Vehicle.

AFVs include Tanks, Infantry Fighting Vehicles, Armoured Personell Carriers, Armoured Cars and any other combat vehicle that has soem degree of armour protection.

The purpose of this thread is for you to design one. We don't need game stats, just a basic description of what you think a highly effective AFV design would be.

No, an existing design is not the answer. I'm looking for creativity. Make something new (or evolve something existing) so we have a superior piece of hardware.

Factors you should address in your design are:

Role What is the primary purpose of your vehicle? Is it a troop carrier? Is it supposed to carry heavy direct fire weapons? Is it used as an engineering vehicle?

Layout What is the basic design shape for the vehicle? Does it have a turret? Where are the weapons located? where is the ammunition located? Where do the crew sit? Where is the engien and fuel supply? Where do passengers (if any) sit? Where is any special equipment mounted?

Lethality How does it kill (what does it kill) and what is the emchanism it uses to acheive the kill? This is more than jsut gun size. What systems support the weapons to make them more lethal? Will it have an auto loader to increase its rate of fire? Will it have an advanced combat computer to improve accuracy? Will it use an unusual or high tech form of weaponry not currently deployed?

Mobility How does this thing get around? How fast is it? How far can it go before refuling? What is the power supply? What is the fuel source? What types of terrain will it be limited to? Will you sacrafice armour and firepower for greater speed?

Survivability This isn't just thickness of armour. Will the vehicle employ armour with special properties? Will it have a low sillhoutte to maximise the cover it gets from surrounting terrain? Will it have electronic warfare systems to protect it from missiles? Will its structure be designed to protect the crew even if te vehicle is otherwise destroyed? What protects the vehcile in chemical, biological or nuclear attacks?

Production and Maintence How easy is this vehicle to build and to repair? Will you use parts common with existing vehicles to simplify production and supply? Will you use experimental technologies to increase manufacturing speed?

Extras Will this vehicle link to a battlefield computer net work? Will it have night vision equipment? Will it have a place to hang the fuzzy dice? What other special features are you putting into this vehicle?

There's your challenge, let's see what you got.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

I really wish I had time to do this. Maybe tonight when I get home. Thing is the only time I have to post is at work, and they frown on creating fictional vehicles while on the clock (if they knew I was posting on an RPG forum I would be in deep as it is).
:fool:

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”