Quick question... Priests & Resurrection Ability...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Quick question... Priests & Resurrection Ability...

Unread post by Omote »

Can someone post or point me to the area that describes the Priest's "resurrection" ability? I know it's not in the main book, and I can't remember where I saw it spelled out?

Thanks,

............................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

HOLY CRAP! I cannot believe I missed that!!! For some reason i thought it was not mentioned in the PFRPG main book... I guess that was something else. *shrugs* Oh well, It's been THAT long since I ran a campaign, just trying to get back into the full swing of things... sheesh.

Thanks Gigs

.........................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the real question is how can a priest heal every other round? Seems awfully frequent to me. A group with a priest would be at full health minutes after a fight.

Oh and how in the 2nd ed, priests can have spells their gods don't know.

-Vek
"Palladium gave me a really lame answer for the 2nd one."
Yisterwald
Wanderer

Unread post by Yisterwald »

I really tone down healing and resurrection in my games. Resurrection should be miraculous, in my view, not pedestrian, and plentiful healing dampens the threat value of everything. I just don't like the effects that it has on the game. I want my players more nervous than that. :)
That's right folks, remember to look both ways before crossing the Yisterwald. -- TAF
For the record, Yisterwald rocks. -- Prettz
Creationism is a non-scientific viewpoint that says 'Poof, the world happened'. It lacks any credible evidence, and survives in the school system on the back of religious imperialists whose purpose is to destroy the educational system. -- Mark Hall
Sanctu
Explorer

Unread post by Sanctu »

It was asked, "Oh and how in the 2nd ed, priests can have spells their gods don't know. "

OK, so I really need to get a copy of Second Ediion soon. I might have a better answer once I get to read it in full. Reading games piece meal during other game sessions during down time worked well in High School, but I just don't game enough these days.

In other games that may have to remain nameless, I have often asked this question myself. Why do all clerics seem to get the same spell lists? All clerics in this game get all the same spells, period. All good, neutral, and evil cleric in that one have different spells, but there is no distinguishing the sun god from the moon god from the belly lint god if they are all on the same side.

The answer I came up with to justify this was that priests in these cases are not channeling some direct energy from their deity, bt something else beyond the deity in question. Say we were takling about the classic spell casiting druid type. You wouldn't question that, even though you have many all over the game world worshipping many very different gods that they all get the exact same spells. Their gods allow them to access some aspect -- nature -- that generally these gods themselves also can access, but could be considered separate from the gods themselves.

In the case of the cleric/priest of different deities, what if the power behind the spells they cast is also something beyond the gods. In the gaem I was looking at, it occred to me that this could be some aspect of "creation." (Clerics were good at healing and ressurection, create food, smite undead, etc.) In games where there were different spell for good and evil, this could still hold, it's just a different side of it all -- creation vs destruction; some raw, or the energies behind or represented by good and evil as cosmic forces themselves.

Why can't the gods themselves cast these spells? Maybe they just can't, at least not in the same way. Mortals are able to be given a rare gift, a gift given through a combination of devotion to a divine entity and divine favor from that entity. The mortal experiences something from the beyond that is a very different experince from what the gods themselves experience.

Note, there are a lot of Egyptian-based deities out there. In that theology, the gods themselves couldn't create anything on their own. The power of creation was something they could only do in male/female pairs as a mutual act. Even the gods themselves had some limits in how they acted and in their powers. (Exception: the creator of the universe and the other gods was singluar and male: the mastebatory god. My knowledge of this fades sharply from here, though. I mention because he did something, creation by himself alone, that the others could not do. The power does not always propigate down the line the same, it seems.)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”