CTX-54 "Firestorm" Mobile Fortress - (World Book 1

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Soundwave

CTX-54 "Firestorm" Mobile Fortress - (World Book 1

Unread post by Soundwave »

Does anyone know if there was ever a map of the inside of the Mobile Fortress (from Coalition War Campaign) published?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

there isn't, just like there isn't one of any of the vehicles in rifts.

sorry, I wish there was too.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I'm almost certain that there hasn't. I remember someone was doing a floor plan for a deaths head transport here a few months ago - maybe that would help.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Soundwave

Unread post by Soundwave »

hmm... yeah, that would be a definate start. Looks like its time to break out the graph paper and pencils. Thanks guys.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Well I know there was a guy that wanted to do the layout, then never heard anymore from it. Another guy from the http://www.nexusnine.net/ site was working on it. From what I had seen of it it looked pretty good. Not sure if he ever finished it though....
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Something thats lacking in Rifts, but done fine in Robotech, deckplans :D at least with Rifts you will not need to reference any old anime drawings and cause inconsistencies :oops: .
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

There really is one book the Rifts could beinfit form - A Tech Manual complete with deck plans for the bigger vehicles and exposed cross-sections of all the other stuff. Even if it were just for the CS stuff it would totally rock :ok:
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Zerebus wrote:Given the amount of STUFF jammed into the Firestorm (namely, the robot vehicles), it's perhaps a good thing that they haven't made a deck plan map.... they'd either contradict themselves or end up invoking a TARDIS.

TARDIS? what's that?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

THe TARDIS is a time machine from a TV show called Doctor Who. This time machine, because it could warp space and time, was MUCH larger on the inside than on the outside.
Adam of the Old Kingdom
Adventurer

Unread post by Adam of the Old Kingdom »

Time
And
Relative
Dimentions
In
Space

Yet again, some one is asking for the CS Field Guide.
Sugested 3 years ago.
I live in hope.
Munchkin Cat Minion
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

This sounds interesting...let me give it some thought on how much I want to give myself a headache trying to figure out the innards of the Firestorm.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Well...I know it has been a bit since this post, but I was bored last night and decided to give it a go.

:eek: Utter madness :eek:

I was able to plot out the size of the FireStorm on graph paper and that was fine, but when I started plugging in all the Vehicles...that is when the poo hit the fan.

At first I had most vehicle spaced by 3 feet for gantries and ladders for repairs, egress, and loading to give it a more realistic feel (I know...realizism in Rifts...yadda yadda yadda), but I couldn't even squeeze in 6 Skull smashers and still have room for the 6 Spider Skull walkers with this thinking. But then I got real and remembered this is just to get them from point "A" to point "Z".

So after I ditched the gantry stuff, I was able to place most of the land troops and Infantry into the command center and Support DHTs. The only problem I had was the Scout Spider Walkers, Hellraisers, and Hellfires (a Platoon each of them) and was only able to block out 20 of each. I cringe at the idea of having stackable mechs held suppended by hydraulics and elevators but that is the only way it can be done.

Maybe today I will do the flight deck with the 160 Light SAMAS and 160 Super Sams...not to mention the 60 Spec-Op Sams and Flight Cycles, I just cant get the dimensions right on the graph paper of the deck...oh gawd...the headache is returning as I type this

After this is done...Classic DHT...which by the way, I had not realized how frickin big that thing was. :shock:
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

I could cure your headache by breaking from the graph paper and drawing the deckplans in AutoCAD. Nothing like using a 1:1 scale for everything and much more appropriate for the task (editing is a little more simple).
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

Make something up time... :D
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

ApocalypseZero wrote:I could cure your headache by breaking from the graph paper and drawing the deckplans in AutoCAD. Nothing like using a 1:1 scale for everything and much more appropriate for the task (editing is a little more simple).

Ooooh...and what do I have to do get this cure while being absolutely broke? :lol:
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned that I was willing to do it. Or, at least give it a shot. But now that I mention it, I do have ACAD 2000 home edition. And that's all I'm going to say about that. *cough* Email, PM *cough*
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:TARDIS? what's that?

Take something the size od those funky towers in Malaysia, squeeze it into an double sized public telephone booth (or, actually, a UK police call box).

Heaven help me, I used to know what TARDIS stood for, but since the BBC killed the doctor (and are now thinking of bringing him back as a her) off (well, the show anyway), I've forgotton...damn shame, the show started in the mid 60's, and continued to film until the early 90s...

Pox...try turning the units 90 degrees. If you have them "back to the wall" with the gantries betwixt them, and a central aisle for deployment, try facing them front with about 1/2 a metre between the ranks, and the units about 1/3 of a metre apart shoulder-to-shoulder. Maybe you can do it that way and avoid "cordwood syndrome"... :lol:

However, this may simply end-up being along the lines of Mr. S's understanding of geography (ie: the way he wrote the Super Volcano in Chaos Earth). :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Borast wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:TARDIS? what's that?

Take something the size od those funky towers in Malaysia, squeeze it into an double sized public telephone booth (or, actually, a UK police call box).

Heaven help me, I used to know what TARDIS stood for, but since the BBC killed the doctor (and are now thinking of bringing him back as a her) off (well, the show anyway), I've forgotton...damn shame, the show started in the mid 60's, and continued to film until the early 90s...

Pox...try turning the units 90 degrees. If you have them "back to the wall" with the gantries betwixt them, and a central aisle for deployment, try facing them front with about 1/2 a metre between the ranks, and the units about 1/3 of a metre apart shoulder-to-shoulder. Maybe you can do it that way and avoid "cordwood syndrome"... :lol:
However, this may simply end-up being along the lines of Mr. S's understanding of geography (ie: the way he wrote the Super Volcano in Chaos Earth). :D

To be honest, the biggest obstacle to overcome was those damnable Skull Walkers. With the CR-006 having 20' by 18' legspan and the main body being 13' by 15' there wasnt much room to stick 6 of em without them being in the way. Than those accursed CR-004 Scout Spiders being 17 by 17...ARRGH! I had no choice by to squish up the legs in "storage mode" to about 10' each(the main body being 7' by itself) and have them stretch to walking dimensions...not to mention there were 40 of em. :x

Of course...I still havent tackled the SAMAS situation...Im gonna wait for that one *cough* A-Zero *cough* check PM *cough*

ADD-ON: There is one thing that I found interesting and correct me if I am wrong, but nowhere does it say that the Center Command Section have a bridge or flight crew. I know it states that the support DHTs have them but for the Command section all it states is division commanders and their staff and such. This leaves that whole neck area leading to the Dr. Claw inspired motif for these war rooms, communications, and bunks...just an observation.

Return to “Rifts®”