Most interesting fumbles

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Styxx
Megaversal® Ambassador

Most interesting fumbles

Unread post by Styxx »

Hey, the usual standard thing for a fumble is the weapon breaking, slipping, and such. But some GMs can get really inventive on thier rolled slipups. I realize it is mostly a D&D rule, but I have had fun with it in Palladium as well. What are some of the funniest or most elaborate "Fumbles" you have come up with or done? :D

Styxx
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Most interesting fumbles

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

this one wasn't so much funny as it was realistic. the badguy was holding a hostage with a knife to the thrate. the character was trying to shoot him from behind her, as his head was sticking out to the side. rolled a 1. guess what happened.

rolling a 1 to savew vs. faire magic is alywas fun, to laugh at, sine in my game a 1 to save vs. magic means double effect, onm a more lightharted note :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

HI,

although there is no official rule on fumbles in PF I decided to incorporate some into my games recently (on a roll of a natural "1"). but I came up with the usual stuff only (in one of the Bill Coffin Books, I guess it is Baalgor probably I recently read that one loses his weapon on a natural "1" - the author wrote about it like it was an official rule from the rulesbook which just isnt the case).

anybody did some tables for fumbles? if yes, post them. and oh yes, post the funny fumbles too.

cheers, V
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

In our games, any 20 sided dice roll of 1, 2, 3, or 4 is an automatic miss/failure.
And its a running joke that if a PC is doing some particular stunt, let say jump
out of a window, that I tell the player just roll a 20 sided dice (I'm assuming
if you hit the window, your body mass is enough to break through), BUT don't miss.
And guess what happens, player rolls a 1-4, which means the PC misses the window or
trips over their feet. Then I get the complain, "Don't say don't miss when I'm rolling."
Aah some days I love being a GM. :lol:
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

MrGiggles wrote:Just use the fumble tables from MERP. They have everything, broken weapons, fumbled ammo, self and companion mutilation and even imaginary dead turtles. What more do you need?

the dead turtles are one of the reasons why I hate those tables. really.

cheers, V
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Janus
Dungeon Crawler
Location: If there is a bright center to the universe then I am in Uranus

Unread post by Janus »

My first real good GM used the table with the invisible turtle (I hate invisible turtles) then he just got darn creative. i had a longbowman with flayed forearms and re-stitched ears. I have had characters need to be resurrected because they offed themselves before. Had a character turned to stone temporarily because his brother in the game fumbled with a crossbow bolt of flesh to stone.
There is always a 5%chance of anything happening...even a monkey can crawl out of your butt.

Flamethrowers, that's what we need. The army has them, why can't we have them too?

I am the King of Thoughtless Wishing.

I nominate you for Fan Defensive Lineman of the year. - Geronimo 2.0
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

I use some rules that statistically almost never come up, but cover some realism left out by the rules. If a 20 parries a 20 then both items break. Suddenly 'indestructable' sound like a nice thing to put on your 100k magic item
If a 1 parries a 20 then that limb is amputated (or similar outcome if its not a straight sword on sword)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You gota love a nat 1. :)
But in PB if you have a WP for the weapon your using, and you get a nat 1, it is not a fumble. Or to say not a spetaculer fumble. For that you need a guy using a weapon he dose not have a WP for.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Here is a fumble table I made with a fantasy d20 setting in mind, feel free to convert to the Pall system. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Critical Fumbles.

Procedure: After rolling a 1 on a ‘to hit’ roll, roll ‘to hit’ again. If it results in another 1, roll on the following chart. If it indicates anything else, you just miss.

1: You drop the weapon at your feet, taking a partial action will pick it up. If not using a weapon, you slip, stumble or otherwise loose balance, resulting in a wasted partial action.

2: Your weapon flies 2d4 feet away in a random direction. Use a d12 and a clock face to determine direction. If not using a weapon, you fall prone. If ranged, the bowstring snaps, slings twist into knots, or daggers get stuck in scabbards/bandoliers. It takes 1 round to fix.

3: You embed your weapon in the ground, tree, a support beam or other structure. Make a Strength check at DC10 to pull the weapon free. This is a partial action. If a blunt or ranged weapon, you drop it at per result ‘1’.

4: You hit a random combatant. Roll for which opponent (friend & foe). Make a ‘to hit’ roll vs the new target. If you hit, apply damage as normal. If you miss, no effect. You cannot utilise any feat or magical power with this attack, unless the magical power is already on ie, flaming. You can, however, continue on Cleaving/Great Cleaving is this attack kills the new opponent. Also ignore Critical Hits.

5: You badly chip/damage your weapon. You do –1 damage with the weapon till repaired by a weaponsmith. If unarmed, you bruise your hands/feet for 1d3 temporary damage. If using a ranged weapon, you empty out half of your remaining ammunition on the ground. It takes a partial action to pick up 1d3 pieces of ammo.

6: You snap the blade/haft!! The weapon can’t be used till it is repaired by a weaponsmith. Or the weapon might no be able to be repaired depending on the GM…

7: You stumble into someone. Roll for whom amongst the combatants. It will take both people a partial action to untangle from each other. If it is an opponent, combat can continue, but only unarmed, or with small weapons (i.e. daggers, small hammers) until separated.

8: You trip yourself up! You are treated as prone until you regain your feet. If using a ranged weapon, treat as result ‘1’.

9: You manage to hit yourself!!! Roll damage as normal divided by 2.

10: You overreach yourself and leave yourself open to attack. All opponents may make an Attack of Opportunity.

11: You entangle your weapon with your shield/secondary weapon, cloak or some such. If you have multiple attacks, you loose the rest of them till the next round. If you only have a single attack, you can’t attack next round, but may Dodge or otherwise defend yourself.

12: In a spectacular feat of clumsiness, you present your weapon to your current opponent. They may take it out of your hands as a partial action and not present themselves to anyone for an Attack of Opportunity. If unarmed, you opponent may take an Attack of Opportunity. Treat ranged attacks as result ‘5’.

13: In an amazing display of ineptitude, you manage to drop both your weapon and shield/secondary weapon. If you only use one weapon or not using a weapon at all, treat as per result ‘2’. If using a ranged weapon, you manage to spill all of your arrow/bolts/bullets. It takes a partial action to pick up 1d3 pieces of ammo.

14: You manage to sever several of the straps holding your armour on. Treat as a penalty of –2 to your armour till repaired (can be done after battle). If not wearing armour or using a ranged weapon, you fall prone, and manage to hurt yourself! Roll 1d3 temporary damage.

15: You manage not only to miss, but also to jar and numb your arm!! You are at –3 to hit and damage for the next 1d6 rounds. If using a ranged weapon, treat as result ‘13’

16: Amazing! You manage to drop any weapons/shield you are using and fall prone at your opponents feet!! They get a bonus Attack of Opportunity. If using a ranged weapon, treat as result ‘2’.

17: You trip and manage to knock one of your party members in the process!!!! How do you do it?!?! Treat both you and a random party member as result ‘16’.

18: In an incredible feat of flailing limbs, you manage to seriously hurt yourself!!! Roll for full damage!!

19: The weapon flies out of your hands and hits a target at range!! Randomly determine a combatant your not currently fighting in close combat. Friend or Foe. Roll another attack roll vs the new target, and damage if hit. If not using a weapon, you fall prone taking 1d6 temporary damage and knock yourself unconscious for 1d3 rounds!! If a ranged weapon, roll for a random target and conduct combat as per normal. But then the weapon brakes as per result ‘6’.

20: You crash into your opponent with full strength!! You automatically do critical damage, snap the blade/haft, and knock yourself prone at your opponents’ feet for 1d8 temporary damage!! If using a ranged weapon, you don’t fall prone, but also take 1d6 real damage as the bow/x-bow kicks back and hits your face!
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I was GMing for a IRL group and was controling the servent NPC....and rolled to see if he did something stupid. :demon: He wandered off and the group lost all the stuff they had on the pack animals the npc was holding the rains of.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Well, we don't play with those kinds of rules, but one of my most cherished RP moments, ever, kind of falls into the category.

The PC was a conjurer sneaking into a strange wooden shed-like structure on top of tallish stone building. A rickety wooden stairway led up the side of the building, with a small space between the door of the hut and the top of the stairs. The player conjured a couple fist fulls of marbles and silently spread them in front of the door and on the top steps. Then he crept around back, and slid in the small window (he was a changeling in a human city, and changed shape to "skinny himself down"). Unbeknownst to the PC, he had been followed by another character who ALSO was searching for the very same person that the PC found murdered inside the hut. So just as he stumbles upon the corpse, this dark stranger dripping with knives and clearly and assassin, flows in the window after him. They actually had a short conversation (as the assassin wasn't after him, and was actually kind of a nice (if weird) guy). Well, the PC was so rattled he told me:

"I open the door and run as fast as i can."

I said, "So... ...You run out the front door ...towards the stairs?"

"Yeah, i am hauling down the stairs as fast as i..." *notices my barely concealed amusement* "Oh, crap."

:) Ahhhhhhhh, yeah, that's the stuff. :)
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

I had a Character that got so fed up with his life I desided to have him kill himself. He rolled a one and missed at which point he collapes and cried until he fell asleep. The next gaming sestion the GM was very nice and everything turned around.
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”