Permanent Rifts in North America

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Salcor
Wanderer

Permanent Rifts in North America

Unread post by Salcor »

I was wondering if there is any reference to the number of permanent rifts in North America. I can only think of 2, Calgary and the Gateway Rift in St. Louis. I appreciate any additional info.

Salcor
Sohisohi
Explorer

Permanent Rifts

Unread post by Sohisohi »

When two or more laylines cross they create a nexus/rift. So, a quick and dirty rule of thumb is to look where these laylines intersect.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: Permanent Rifts in North America

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Detroit has a permanent rift to Wormwood, as does Calgary.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Salcor
Wanderer

Unread post by Salcor »

To clarify I am asking if there is any cannons locations in North America identifed that have Rifts that are constantly open in addition to the Calgary Rift and the St. Louis Gateway Rift.

Salcor
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

Detroit was just mentioned.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

this sounds like the kind of thing you'd have to create in your personal campaign and remember to keep a list.
Perhaps let your teams Shifter go out and look for them. Maybe even exploit knowledge of their locations.

Unrelated:

Could somebody remind me where the table is for Random Stuff Dumping Out Of A Rift ?

The RUE has rules for creating random rifts starting on Page 191, but not for things that might come through to terrorize earth.
Tables are repeated: Rifts Adventure Guide page 182. And again in Dark Conversions on page 181.

I FOUND IT!
World Book 2: Atlantis
Pages 10 thru 12 have some random events and encounters for a rift or ley line storm. Much of what they cover applies to the Bermuda Triangle, but its actually good info all around.

Also, world book 35 has some random devil encounters around Calgary, starting on page 48. Since thats where one of the permanent Rifts is, I'll probably use it as general reference.
Siege on Tolkeen 6 has some tables for random dimensional anomalies starting on page 25.
Last edited by Shorty Lickens on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Shorty Lickens wrote:this sounds like the kind of thing you'd have to create in your personal campaign and remember to keep a list.
Perhaps let your teams Shifter go out and look for them. Maybe even exploit knowledge of their locations.

Unrelated:

Could somebody remind me where the table is for Random Stuff Dumping Out Of A Rift ?

DB7?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Salcor wrote:I was wondering if there is any reference to the number of permanent rifts in North America. I can only think of 2, Calgary and the Gateway Rift in St. Louis. I appreciate any additional info.

Salcor

Psycape (Astral Plane) and Dunscon (city) in Federation of Magic.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Permanent Rifts

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Sohisohi wrote:When two or more laylines cross they create a nexus/rift. So, a quick and dirty rule of thumb is to look where these laylines intersect.

No when two ley lines cross they create a nexus point.
A rift is when the fabric between dimentions is riped open. Most rifts are temporary.
While rifts are more common on nexus points, a nexus point is not a rift.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Salcor wrote:I was wondering if there is any reference to the number of permanent rifts in North America. I can only think of 2, Calgary and the Gateway Rift in St. Louis. I appreciate any additional info.

Salcor

To my knowledge neither of those are rifts.
Psyscape is an astral gate way. City of brass(capital of dunscon) is access by dimensional portals not rifts. Basically they are not true rifts but special portals that connect two points on different planes.

If I recall right, I read once there are 6 permeant rifts on rifts earth.

They wouldl have been the points that where the focus of the hell pits if I recall right.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Calgary and St. Louis are the only two explicitly described as permanent and given a location.

To be clear, these are Rifts that are always open, but to random locations (thus crazy monsters/civilizations frequently pour out of them). A roll table for the status of a constantly open Rift, and the possible broad locations of others (Atlantis, controlled by Pyramids, China may have some, Africa may have one), are given 194 of the RUE (Constant Rift Table). Other Rifts may open frequently to only one location, but they are not constantly open. Other dimensional gateways may be easily openable (e.g. those at Millenium Trees), but are not the same as these most chaotic and uncontrollable and unclosable intense focal points of dimensional energy.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I am pretty sure we have rifts in the various Millennium Trees. I know that the Corrupt Tree in Europe has several permeant rifts.
Also there is one in Japan to an alternate earth that one of the countries mines for resources.
I'm pretty sure there are mentions of more in places like Underseas, Australia, China, Russia, Dinosaur Swamp, South America 2, and more, but I would really have to go dig to double check.

Part of it will depend on what you mean by "Permanent Rifts" in the first place. Do dimensional portals count? What about locations that have rifts that run on a fixed cycle?
Then there is all the vague stuff. Rumors of this or that abound for instance. And then you have the hell pits confusing the issue.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blue_Lion wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Salcor

To my knowledge neither of those are rifts.
Psyscape is an astral gate way. City of brass(capital of dunscon) is access by dimensional portals not rifts. Basically they are not true rifts but special portals that connect two points on different planes.

If I recall right, I read once there are 6 permeant rifts on rifts earth.

They wouldl have been the points that where the focus of the hell pits if I recall right.

Re: permanent Rifts on Earth
RUE pg191 says "Even on Rifts Earth today, there are at least a dozen Rifts that are permanently locked open", they also mention that Detroit and Windsor Rifts where locked open for decades, but have since closed (130 BPA).

RUE pg194 also states "In North America, the only known permanent Rifts are the Calgary Rift and Saint Louis Rift (right at the arch).", later re: Detroit "Another permanent Rift is suspect to exist in the ruins of Old Detroit, but has never been confirmed."

Re: City of Brass & Psycape
WB16o pg36 "The City is accessible only through a few (6) permanent dimensional portals". Both Cities might be thought of as in "pocket dimensions", but are still being accessed via a permanent Rift since Dimensional Portals are synonymous with Rifts AFAIK:
-RMB pg87 Shifter OCC "#5. ... a full rift or dimensional portal", "#6. "This sensing ability specifically relates to dimensional portals/rifts."
-RMB pg184 in the description for Mystic Portal "spell creates a dimensional rift in the fabric of space allowing", 1. portal/passage appear to cut out of solid barrier, or teleportation portal. Found also in RUE and RBoM
-RMB pg189 in the description for Close Rift: The mystic nature of the dimensional gateway". Found also in RUE and RBoM
-RUE pg220 Plane Skip "Whenever the sorcerer steps into a dimensional portal/Rift/Gateway/circle or is caught in a dimensional disturbance that will send him to another dimension", also in RBoM (and IINM WB16o)
-RUE pg222 Re-Open Gateway (Rift) "an already existing and active, or permanent, dimensional portal.", and does include the permanent Rifts at Calgary and St. Louis (specifically called out), also in RBoM
-RUE pg225 Dimensional Portal (Rift), in the title of the spell. It isn't in the title for RMB.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Thank you for that, ShadowLogan.

Vampire Sourcebook has a few permanent rifts. In that the entire Yucatan Peninsula co-exists in another dimension(2 if you count the cloud limbo), the book states "Apparently, the entire length of the Palenque-Pusilha ley line is a giant dimensional doorway." There is a temple at Copan and one at Coba with permanent portals to each other as well as to Tikal. Note that Copan is outside the Yucatan, and so has a different dimensional profile. "Moreover, there are known portals to Xibalba (and other planes of hell) at the ruins of Copan and Seibal." The super-rift at Uxmal is compared with the Calgary and St. Louis rifts, but not explicity stated as being permanent. Finally, any Caves of the dead within the Yucatan contain permanent portals to the Kingdoms of Haktla, Ixzotz, Milta, Muluc, and Tula, but no specific locations are given for particular caves.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Pet theory: random rifts are never accidentally permanent, all permanent rifts are Dimensional Portal spells where a Diabolist came along and did a demon-bone Permaence ward to keep it open indefifinitely. If you can find the buried bone ward in the dirty below the portal, you can destroy it and the portal will close.

Is this possible?

Return to “Rifts®”