It seems the Crazy special ability of Auto-Dodge is due to

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

It seems the Crazy special ability of Auto-Dodge is due to

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

super duper hearing, according to the RUE.

For some strange reason I never noticed this. And it made me realize theres all sorts of situations in which they would not get their auto-dodge, like loud weapons all around them, or having their head in some helmet or vehicle which cant pass sound thru accurately and precisely.
Or magical deafness. Or deafness from disease or poison.

Anyone else care about this? Or should I forget it?
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: It seems the Crazy special ability of Auto-Dodge is due

Unread post by Bill »

In my opinion, it should seldom if ever come up. Like other superhero weaknesses, it should get mentioned frequently but only occur when it's dramatic and exciting.
bobharly
Explorer

Unread post by bobharly »

It should really depend on you GMing style. Or as I like to say, what is more important, the science or the fiction? I think any sound loud enough to stun a character, like the infamous Boom Gun, might disrupt the auto-dodge, but if the character is stunned auto-dodge wasn't going to help too much anyways.

I have been leaning towards realism in my GMing lately, and I have encountered two problems. First, it can make GMing more cumbersome because you have to pay attention to the little details even when describing something routine. Two, at a certain point the science begins to over take the fiction and you risk losing the gamer nostalgia for being able to do fantastic feats. Sometimes, I'll just talk to the players and see what they like and dislike. My players are a great source of input.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Huh. I had always thought it was from their enhanced relexes and reaction time. Guess this means that a crazy doesn't get to auto-dodge that Sniper with the Laser rifle. Interesting.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Marcethus wrote:Huh. I had always thought it was from their enhanced relexes and reaction time. Guess this means that a crazy doesn't get to auto-dodge that Sniper with the Laser rifle. Interesting.

I'd still allow it. He hears the sizzle of air turning into ozone. The hearing thing is more semantics and flavor text.

Though if you ever want to see a sniper player rage quit send them against an 9th level Cyber-Knight.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Light moves faster than sound though...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly i'd just call it a general improved perception across all the senses rather than hearing specific. which is pretty much how the rules actually play out.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Marcethus
Champion

HWalsh wrote:
Marcethus wrote:Huh. I had always thought it was from their enhanced relexes and reaction time. Guess this means that a crazy doesn't get to auto-dodge that Sniper with the Laser rifle. Interesting.

I'd still allow it. He hears the sizzle of air turning into ozone. The hearing thing is more semantics and flavor text.

Though if you ever want to see a sniper player rage quit send them against an 9th level Cyber-Knight.

Same 9th Level Cyber-Knight really upsets GM's in PUG's that like to use snipers.
Marcethus
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly i'd just call it a general improved perception across all the senses rather than hearing specific. which is pretty much how the rules actually play out.

I tend to agree with you on that after having read the Crazy. But to play devil's Advocate here. RAW states that it specifically comes from the enhanced hearing. While the Juicer version is listed the Auto-dodge under their reaction and reflexes. While I do not read the minds of the writers my guess is they were trying to separate the two classes a bit.
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Supergyro »

Now this could just be what people *think* it's due to...

While the crazies themselves know it's due to them having 6th sense and sensing any incoming attack...

But they tell people it's the hearing...
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
bobharly
Explorer

Unread post by bobharly »

Maybe it is hearing...

The voices inside their head told them the attack was coming. You'd move to if you had multiple personalities screaming at you!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

bobharly wrote:Maybe it is hearing...

The voices inside their head told them the attack was coming. You'd move to if you had multiple personalities screaming at you!

A.D.D. maybe….

It does not really matter what the 'reason' is (unless it is an integral part of the character write-up) behind the Auto-Dodge.

However, if going by the hearing explanation then attacks going faster then the speed of sound can't be auto-dodged.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Marcethus
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
bobharly wrote:Maybe it is hearing...

A.D.D. maybe….

It does not really matter what the 'reason' is (unless it is an integral part of the character write-up) behind the Auto-Dodge.

However, if going by the hearing explanation then attacks going faster then the speed of sound can't be auto-dodged.

Hence my comment on the Sniper with the Laser Rifle. Since RAW the source of their auto-dodge is hearing and a laser moves way faster than the speed of sound they wouldn't be able to dodge it. Or even any laser attack really now that I think about it.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Or even any rifle round that travels in the supersonice range. Heck, a lot of handgun rounds travel faster than sound. I still maintain that a juicer with AutoDodge wouldn't be able to dodge a modern sniper with a rifle chambered in 7.62x51mm, as the round travels at just over 1700mph (which is more than Mach 2). The body simply can't reactto the stimulus fast enough, no matter how meth'd up it is.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Supergyro wrote:Now this could just be what people *think* it's due to...

While the crazies themselves know it's due to them having 6th sense and sensing any incoming attack...

But they tell people it's the hearing...

Yes I don't doubt it is hearing but what exactly a crazy is hearing and if it is actually real or from the voices in their head is up to interpretation.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

You're all wrong about where their auto-dodge bonus comes from.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Last edited by The Beast on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I like the idea of their enhanced hearing being a supernatural hearing where they hear things before they even happen, so they get it no matter what. Fits with their psychic theme a lot better than a juicer's ability to dodge surprise attacks they're not aware of does.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Well, according to the book he can hear a pin drop at 300 feet, so I guess if the sniper was within that range he'd have to make SOME sort of sound getting into position.
I guess the trouble is determining how much noise a sniper makes doing his thing at any range. Maybe if he made a lot of noise unpacking his rifle at 1000 feet the Crazy would still hear him. Not sure.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Marcethus
Champion

Shorty Lickens wrote:

Well, according to the book he can hear a pin drop at 300 feet, so I guess if the sniper was within that range he'd have to make SOME sort of sound getting into position.
I guess the trouble is determining how much noise a sniper makes doing his thing at any range. Maybe if he made a lot of noise unpacking his rifle at 1000 feet the Crazy would still hear him. Not sure.

There are a lot of factors that would need to be taken into consideration. But given the proper weapon and a the luck of a few good prowl rolls. It could be done.

Return to “Rifts®”