How to get infinite money and it's completely legal in-game

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RavenStarver
Explorer

How to get infinite money and it's completely legal in-game

Unread post by RavenStarver »

Okay.
If a gold piece (called gp from here on out) is a gold coin, then it's mostly likely the normal size of a gold coin, about the size of a quarter, weighing an ounce.
Well then just take 16 of them, melt them down, bam, one pound gold lump which is worth 2500 according to the book.

However, that isn't quite correct.
If we then look at the Adventures In The Northern Wilderness 1 we see the pirate cave adventure. In there it states that 150,000 one ounce gold coins is worth 4 million. Basic math tells us that each coin is then worth about 27 gp if we round up.
If that is the case, then melting the coins down into bars is STILL valid, as with about 500 gp you'd have about 16 1 oz coins which makes a pound of gold worth 2500gp.

Am I correct in this? I'd be really interested to hear what people have to say
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: How to get infinite money and it's completely legal in-g

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Gold Pieces might not be pure gold.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
RavenStarver
Explorer

Killer Cyborg wrote:Gold Pieces might not be pure gold.

I've thought of that, as the book states that silver can be used to mint coins worth multiple "gold pieces"
Maybe a GP is like a flake of raw mined gold? Some strange leftover term from the height of the Elven and Dwarven Empires that everyone just uses to describe money even though it's incorrect?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I think it's an attempt to take arbitrary numbers and trying to reverse engineer them in ways that the writer's clearly didn't envision. "Should they have' Ehh. technically yes, but we know Palladium seldom thinks that sort of thing out.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Pretty much this. Many "gold" "silver" coins tended to be either plated or not 100% pure. Generally old coinage is valuable more for its history than its metal quality. Old trade bars of pure metals generally are the really major finds for monetary windfalls.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

kaid wrote:

Pretty much this. Many "gold" "silver" coins tended to be either plated or not 100% pure. Generally old coinage is valuable more for its history than its metal quality. Old trade bars of pure metals generally are the really major finds for monetary windfalls.

Was quite the plot point in the earlier Rincwind novels when he and others found out his traveling companions gold coins were actually pure gold compared to the coinage on their continent where you probably were lucky to find a coin with 10% of it made of gold for a gold coin.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

This thread does nothing to explain how to get infinite money...
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Market values may fluctuate. There's been rumors of DIMENSIONS of gold; the Shifters who found them and told about them were supposedly whacked to keep their location/access means secret/lost, in order to prevent the value of gold from collapsing.

Oddly enough, the same doesn't seem to hold true for silver, as silver has, in recent times, attained more value as war material than as a monetary standard. :bandit:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

How to get infinite money.
Come up with a cute scheme that the GM approves and does not say Rule Zero "No" to.

There are dozens of loopholes and places where you can buy something that is more valuable if you take it apart/sell it else where/combine it with this other thing here/what ever. That's fine....the books were not written as an economics simulator.
If PCs with vast amounts of money is good for the game, then go for it. Otherwise the GM can simply say "Nope sorry, that glitch got patched version 2.03.07b" and the game goes on.

The only 'right' that everyone has in the game is the right to have fun. If something makes it more fun for everyone involved then it is good and should be encouraged. If something makes it less fun for everyone involved then it is bad and should be discouraged/removed. And unless your GM is getting paid to run professionally they are part of the 'everyone having fun' group.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

The Beast wrote:This thread does nothing to explain how to get infinite money...

Don't worry Beast, I got you.

Step one involves gaining immortality; this is easy, so I shouldn't need to explain.

Step two however, is where things get complicated. You will first need to case a joint, like say a bank. After learning how that bank operates, you will need to gain some relevant skills so that you can be an inside man.

Step three involves a long-con; over the next 10 to 20 years, you will slowly gain their trust as an 'employee', all the while taking money from them every two or so weeks. Do this until you make your way via promotion to an HR position. Once you have obtained this HR position, you will then be able to 'hire' yourself, thereby being able to assume a new identity every 50 or so years so they do not get suspicious of your scam.

Boom - infinite money :bandit:
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Step one Make a hacker.
Step two hack the CS central bank and transfer all the credits to an account held by Nurni enterprises.
Step three pay the Nurni enterprises a kick back to not reverse the funds transfer and convert it to off world curancy.
Step four Move to a different dimension.

Not infinite because there is no way to get unlimited but that should be more money than you can spend in a few years.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Dog_O_War wrote:
The Beast wrote:This thread does nothing to explain how to get infinite money...

Don't worry Beast, I got you.
(big snip):

And pray the IRS/FDIC(or their equivalent) doesn't send InquisitorsAuditor(Demon)s to check on you.
Or that your penny-skimming doesn't get picked up on by a customer who either a) has the means to become a supervillain to get back at the 'corrupt establishment', or b) is already a BigBad(a dragon, or an Altess accountant, Naruni salesman, or other high-heeler for instance) with the attitude and means to track down the source of the skimming and take MEASURES.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

RavenStarver wrote:

I've thought of that, as the book states that silver can be used to mint coins worth multiple "gold pieces"
Maybe a GP is like a flake of raw mined gold? Some strange leftover term from the height of the Elven and Dwarven Empires that everyone just uses to describe money even though it's incorrect?

Oddly enough, I started reading "The Wealth Of Nations" today, and it has a whole chapter on the history of coinage, and relative values.
In some places, gold coins only had value in relation to how many silver coins they were worth.
In others, silver coins only had value in relation to how many copper coins they were worth.

If you want more insight, I'd suggest reading up on the history of coins--it's quite interesting.

Another issue is that once coins/money became a thing, there were some times when a coin of a certain metal was worth more or less than its strict value as a metal.
Copper pennies in the US are that way today. If you have a pre-1982 penny, then it's got enough copper value in it to be worth more than One Cent.
Of course, it's also illegal to melt down currency for recycling or resale purposes in the US, so you can't legally just save up every copper penny that you find and melt them down.
Perhaps the PFRPG kingdoms have similar laws in place.

Either way, what you describe could be (if the GM desired) the result of an odd devaluing of Gold Coins (Gold Pieces) in relation to the metal itself, one that hasn't been caught/corrected by society yet.
On the other hand, pretty much any time there were metal coins that were worth a certain amount, there were people weighing those coins in order to see if they were either heavier or lighter than the official weight. They'd pocket the heavy ones, and sell the light ones. Or they'd fill down the edges of the heavy ones until they were of the proper weight (or lower) and pocket the gold dust.
(This is one reason why modern coins have ridges on the edges, to prevent that kind of filing-down).

Overall, I think that the most logical reason is that Gold Pieces are like modern Pennies. They might have originally been worth the weight of the metal (more or less), but after coining became a thing, and certain economic changes were made to society, the coins had their own value that was separate from their actual value.
After the metal became more costly than the value of the coin, the societies switched to cheaper substitutes.
A modern Penny is mostly zinc, I believe, with a thin copper coating that has almost no value as copper.
PFRPG Gold Pieces could be similar in nature.
If so, that would mean that clever players who found older coins might well realize that they're worth more than their face value.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Alternate method: learn create water and travel to a desert city :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
RavenStarver
Explorer

Killer Cyborg wrote:
RavenStarver wrote:

Oddly enough, I started reading "The Wealth Of Nations" today, and it has a whole chapter on the history of coinage, and relative values.
In some places, gold coins only had value in relation to how many silver coins they were worth.
In others, silver coins only had value in relation to how many copper coins they were worth.

If you want more insight, I'd suggest reading up on the history of coins--it's quite interesting.

Another issue is that once coins/money became a thing, there were some times when a coin of a certain metal was worth more or less than its strict value as a metal.
Copper pennies in the US are that way today. If you have a pre-1982 penny, then it's got enough copper value in it to be worth more than One Cent.
Of course, it's also illegal to melt down currency for recycling or resale purposes in the US, so you can't legally just save up every copper penny that you find and melt them down.

Either way, what you describe could be (if the GM desired) the result of an odd devaluing of Gold Coins (Gold Pieces) in relation to the metal itself, one that hasn't been caught/corrected by society yet.
On the other hand, pretty much any time there were metal coins that were worth a certain amount, there were people weighing those coins in order to see if they were either heavier or lighter than the official weight. They'd pocket the heavy ones, and sell the light ones. Or they'd fill down the edges of the heavy ones until they were of the proper weight (or lower) and pocket the gold dust.
(This is one reason why modern coins have ridges on the edges, to prevent that kind of filing-down).

Overall, I think that the most logical reason is that Gold Pieces are like modern Pennies. They might have originally been worth the weight of the metal (more or less), but after coining became a thing, and certain economic changes were made to society, the coins had their own value that was separate from their actual value.
After the metal became more costly than the value of the coin, the societies switched to cheaper substitutes.
A modern Penny is mostly zinc, I believe, with a thin copper coating that has almost no value as copper.
If so, that would mean that clever players who found older coins might well realize that they're worth more than their face value.

Thanks! This is kind of what I was thinking.
And because people seem to bring it up I'm running the game right now. I caught this while pondering what a Gold Piece actually was. And the infinite money cheat is to just melt the coins down into bullion, trade it in for cash, repeat.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

RavenStarver wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
RavenStarver wrote:

Thanks! This is kind of what I was thinking.
And because people seem to bring it up I'm running the game right now. I caught this while pondering what a Gold Piece actually was. And the infinite money cheat is to just melt the coins down into bullion, trade it in for cash, repeat.

Doing that would eventually start lowering the value of the gold (or whatever resource they're using).
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

If one is going to cart home extra dimensional gold really the best place to do it probably is 3 galaxies. Get a mining ship find a nice asteroid get to work. Even if you throw away all the non precious metals most metallic asteroids will contain enough gold/platinum to equal a fair percentage of the total amount ever harvested on earth.

And even if you don't do it yourself gold costs or other precious metal costs in the 3 galaxies is probably rock bottom as those resources are not that rare if one can harvest asteroids.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Step 1 learn to time travel.
Step 2 go back to before Nurni enterprise was invented.
Step 3 invest in Nurni enterprise when it is founded and have majority stock options.
Step 4 return to the present and cash in.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

kaid wrote:If one is going to cart home extra dimensional gold really the best place to do it probably is 3 galaxies. Get a mining ship find a nice asteroid get to work. Even if you throw away all the non precious metals most metallic asteroids will contain enough gold/platinum to equal a fair percentage of the total amount ever harvested on earth.

And even if you don't do it yourself gold costs or other precious metal costs in the 3 galaxies is probably rock bottom as those resources are not that rare if one can harvest asteroids.

I would think asteroid mining it the water you and other life sustaining resources that are in demand fallowed by what is needed to build ships and tech.

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Here are a couple of methods that I have thought of for "Infinite Money", non-spell casters need not apply.

Method 1
Step 1: Learn "Water to Wine" Spell.
Step 2: Collect Water.
Step 3: Cast spell on water.
Step 4: Package said wine.
Step 5: Sell packaged wine.

Method 2
Step 1: Learn Amulet/Talisman/Create Scroll (either 1, 2, or all three of them)
Step 2: Create (insert item here).
Step 3: Sell said created item.

Method 3 (Available only to those who can cast Temporal Spells)
Step 1: Learn Dimensional Pocket
Step 2: Buy items with multiple pockets (like Bandoleers and Backpacks)
Step 3: Cast Longterm Dimensional Pockets on all of the Pockets.
Step 4: Sell item.

This is just some of the many ways magic can be made to work for the caster.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

RavenStarver wrote:Okay.
If a gold piece (called gp from here on out) is a gold coin, then it's mostly likely the normal size of a gold coin, about the size of a quarter, weighing an ounce.
Well then just take 16 of them, melt them down, bam, one pound gold lump which is worth 2500 according to the book.

However, that isn't quite correct.
If we then look at the Adventures In The Northern Wilderness 1 we see the pirate cave adventure. In there it states that 150,000 one ounce gold coins is worth 4 million. Basic math tells us that each coin is then worth about 27 gp if we round up.
If that is the case, then melting the coins down into bars is STILL valid, as with about 500 gp you'd have about 16 1 oz coins which makes a pound of gold worth 2500gp.

Am I correct in this? I'd be really interested to hear what people have to say

Greetings and Salutations. Since you're discussing PF, I'll chime in on this one. You're likely wrong, or at the very least you're attempting to plug in values to variable unknowns with a high margin of error. If you'd like some added details, you can look at the PF Book 12: Library of Bletherad (LoB) pages 122-128 for some discussion on Palladium Currency. You can also look at these images from the Cutting Room Floor: http://www.palladiumbooks.com/images/Im ... rncoin.gif

1: Different nations have different values (and using LoB, with varying percentages of gold content, none of which are pure gold). So you'd need to figure out which nation you're taking the coin from. Then ...

2: You're assuming 1 gold coin automatically equals 1 gp. While this is possible to be true, it's more likely wrong. A gold coin can be 25gp (which would come out very close to 4 million if you had 150,000 of them) or even 100gp (for example). It's like saying I have five U.S. bills in my pocket. If you assume it's automatically 5 dollars total, you could be correct, but there's a lot of room for error. I mean, I could have five 5 dollar bills, or even five 20's.

3: We don't know weights of most of the coins pictured. The only one with weight that I'm aware of is the Old Kingdom Dragon coin, listed at 4 ounces, and worth 1,000gp (this is also considered a rare item, so hard to tell for sure). Though there's a printed version in LoB page 124 that states "Actual Size." You could always try to use that size with the known weight of 4 ounces, and calculate from there (if you want to do the math). That won't be a perfect solution (as different nations have different amounts of gold, see point 1), but it's a start. Using the Tier system for the Exchange Rate on page 128, you can figure that the Western Empire coins have a comparable gold content/weight, while Timiro, Eastern Territory, and Wolfen would have about half the gold content per weight.

4: Going by LoB, this actually did happen with Land of the South Winds currency with merchants, pirates, smelting the coins down for the base metals. In my opinion (based on reading the section) this is because oher nations viewed the currency as effectively worthless (a poor nation with low gold content). That was more a result of the nation's poor economy causing their coins to be valued (as a coin) in other nations though (at least from what I can gather) because the conversion caused it to lose about half to three-quarters of its value. So it's like going to another country and pulling a $20 out of your wallet, but they only value it as $5. So you can take the $5 you're offered, or smelt it down and get more for it (though not necessarily a full $20).

Anyways, hoped some of that helped. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Buy low, sell high.
Hustle.
Provide excellent customer service.
Hire good people and treat them well.
Repeat.

But that's not much of a game.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Blue_Lion wrote:Step 1 learn to time travel.
Step 3 invest in Nurni enterprise when it is founded and have majority stock options.

Step 5: get murdered by time traveling repobots.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Blue_Lion
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Step 1 learn to time travel.

Step 5: get murdered by time traveling repobots.

Do not think they have that options but if they do fallow you you own them at step 3.

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

You think that they wouldn't have majority shareholder's assassinated to get control of the company?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Blue_Lion
Knight

dragonfett wrote:You think that they wouldn't have majority shareholder's assassinated to get control of the company?

who is they?

It is bad business to for a company to kill the people that invest money into them. ln addition remember that you are a silent partner that lets them run the company so the people in charge after you bought it have only known the company with you as such. And most the company stock is owned by one person t hat is not a member of the Nurni race according to phase world.

So no I do not think they would randomly assassinate you for having majority stock to get control. They may take action if some one is trying to rest control of the company but you have always been there. I do no see assassinating people for stock as working or being a viable practice for nurni because the stock goes to who you leave it to in your will not the person that kills you.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

if a shareholder is killed, their shares are inherited by whoever gets their estate in the will. an assassination plan would require manipulation of private legal documents to see any shares revert to the company or some other shareholders.

it would be much easier to manipulate the corporate structure to limit/remove shareholder power and put control of the company completely in the hands of the board of directors.. (these are not the same thing*), and then do some insider trading for the directors to buy back shares from the shareholders.

*shareholders are the investors in a company, but most of the time they have limited input in it. they just fund it and then profit from it's growth. the board of directors are the people in charge. the directors often have sizeable shares in the company, but that is usually more a function of them either having ponied up the funds to help the company get started, or just the fact the board of directors tend to have the highest salaries, and thus plenty of funds to invest.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Blue_Lion
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:if a shareholder is killed, their shares are inherited by whoever gets their estate in the will. an assassination plan would require manipulation of private legal documents to see any shares revert to the company or some other shareholders.

it would be much easier to manipulate the corporate structure to limit/remove shareholder power and put control of the company completely in the hands of the board of directors.. (these are not the same thing*), and then do some insider trading for the directors to buy back shares from the shareholders.

*shareholders are the investors in a company, but most of the time they have limited input in it. they just fund it and then profit from it's growth. the board of directors are the people in charge. the directors often have sizeable shares in the company, but that is usually more a function of them either having ponied up the funds to help the company get started, or just the fact the board of directors tend to have the highest salaries, and thus plenty of funds to invest.

With what you just said there would be even less incentive to do the plan as the share holder has just let the company run on its own since he help fund it. The goal was to make money not run a company. So i have a hard time seeing them go through an assassination plot to get rid of a share holder that has remained quite since the company was founded.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

it does depend heavily on the company (some companies the shareholders get a say in the direction of the company, but it's more of a "come to this meeting, and we'll lay out what we plan to do, and get your feedback) but yeah.. killing a majority shareholder isn't going to net you much if the shares are all that are involved. on the otherhand, sometimes shareholders get to decide who is on the board of directors, at which point the shareholders can have an indirect control over the company, and covert powerplays like assassination or blackmail might be viable, even if only to move the ownership of those shares to a successor who might support a different cadre of directors (or to prevent the current cadre from being sacked)

as i said.. it depends on the company and how the company is organized.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Blue_Lion
Knight

With the time travel to the past to buy the shares and then returning to the future, that makes it a history of not voting with your shares. So there still would be no reason to kill some one that has has never took a hand in any voting. Taking part of running the company was never one of the steps it is nurni enterprises it makes money on its own.

I listed 4 steps some one said step 5 would be getting killed by repobots that would be no reason for that to happen if you just do the first 4 steps. Step four was return to the present and cash in, that could very well mean sale of shares, or just collect dividins every year no where was mess with how the company pays you one of the steps. Simply doing the four steps will not trigger a Nuni assassination attempt. The problem is step 1 may be impossible.

Wise_Owl
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wise_Owl »

The Principal failure in the logic of the OP is the assumption on the size of the gold coins. Traditional Gold coins usually break down to a specific number of weight per pound. 72 was common for the Arabic Dinar if memory serves, and though historically Silver is a much more common unit for coins, even later periods where they were common would get you a certain weight per pound of gold, or possibly the historical equivilent in value of a pound of silver(which is typically around 1:16, which would get your one ounce.)

But the more important thing is that in most pre-modern societies the worth of a coin is it's weight in gold, you can assume if 27 gold coins are worth the same as 1 pound of gold, than each of those coins weighs 1/27 of a pound of gold.

Also, to be an economy nerd for a moment; unless you have something that cannot be replicated, everything you suggest will not lead to 'infinite' money. Any exploit will be replicated, decreasing it's value.
The Way that can be told,
is not the true unchanging way

The way that can be named,
is not the true unnamable way
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Let's remember that gold coins were small... a Spanish doubloon was like 6.8 grams, or between 1/4 and 1/5 of an ounce (0.218 troy ounces)...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Does it make me a bad man I saw this thread title and saw 'How to get infinite monkey and it's completely legal in-game' ? :mrgreen:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Not as bad as if you had read "infinite nookie" :bandit:
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Blue_Lion
Knight

DhAkael wrote:Does it make me a bad man I saw this thread title and saw 'How to get infinite monkey and it's completely legal in-game' ? :mrgreen:

Just do not spank your infinite things.

Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
RavenStarver wrote:

Yep. That's pretty much describes the bigger differences between currency and raw metals. The OP did not distinguish between the value of a coin (currency) and the base metal. They do not have to be the same.
Ed

Return to “Rifts®”