Year 18, any news on Rifts Antarctica release?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Niji

Year 18, any news on Rifts Antarctica release?

Unread post by Niji »

Its been about 18 years since Rifts World Book Antarctica was mentioned as 'coming soon' and I post about this every 4 years or so I think... Any official word on its drop? I imagine things are better at the studio with the trouble maker gone and money issues and plans more streamlined. Or is the IP starting to die with team age? (I was 12 when it was first announced, and still remaining as enthusiastic and excited about its release! I am 30 or so now)
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Re: Year 18, any news on Rifts Antarctica release?

Unread post by mercedogre »

Release date is 2034
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

mercedogre wrote:Release date is 2034

When we'll no longer have an ice cap? :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

taalismn wrote:
mercedogre wrote:Release date is 2034

When we'll no longer have an ice cap? :P

What are you talking about? All the chief architects of the global warming models said that wed be underwater NOW. I tend to believe experts :roll: so contrary to what I am seeing with my eyes I'm typing this from underwater.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

not sure where your getting the 18 year bit, since they only announced the existence of the book in 2011. pretty sure that prior to that murmur in 2011, it had never been mentioned by the company.

(also, a quick search shows no other threads started by you about Antarctica, and only a few comments on threads started by others.. so unless you had different accounts or something, pretty sure you haven't been posting a thread ever 4 years (especially since it hasn't even been 4 years since you joined the forum)

i can understand that you seem to be exited about this book (though i cannot for the life of me understand why), but if your goingto make a grand claim like 18 years, you should probably provide evidence.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Niji wrote:Its been about 18 years since Rifts World Book Antarctica was mentioned as 'coming soon' and I post about this every 4 years or so I think... Any official word on its drop? I imagine things are better at the studio with the trouble maker gone and money issues and plans more streamlined. Or is the IP starting to die with team age? (I was 12 when it was first announced, and still remaining as enthusiastic and excited about its release! I am 30 or so now)

Newbies are so cute.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

:shock: Oh my, what if this is Doom III? :nh: Nah, those posts are way longer than one word. What ever happened to him?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Read about it in a rifter back when i was 12 and first introduced to the game. This is my 3rd or 4th account? I can never remember account names/passwords past a couple years if they arent autosaved in my log. I am pretty sure I posted about it back when I joined. Either in its own thread or a related thread (deep south or one of the other southern world books threads). 4 years may be off as some years someone already talked about it and I just comment or read comments, but you get the drift... Forums only go back to 2004ish?

The netbook was 1999-2001 ish? Mentions of it before that (not necesarily as a worldbook) and then later the netbook vanished and person that worked on it was working with palladium for the world book, that was between 2003-2006 i think. In limbo since then.

Maybe a more accurate time frame was "shortly before that guy on that fan site wrote the Undying R.C.C." It may be longer than 18 years as I am only framing when I read about it, or Slightly shorter since 12-14 was a traumatic blur :P

Here is the first time i posted about it on this account coupled with the last time i posted about it on an old account:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126881

So 2011 and 2014 :P
That account was even made day of ish lol (long forgotten previous one)

Several threads seem deleted, since they involved author disclosing information and what not methinks?(as the reason for deletion)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

WHICH Antarctica netbook though?
there was http://www.altnews.com.au/Hadrian/, which I cannot even find a log of in the wayback machine
there was http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/2547, which there is an archive of here, but which is not in any way or form related to the current book that was announced in 2012, going by the current book's description in the catalog.

further, going by that latter netbook's creators own posts on the old palladium fan yahoo group, he'd abandoned it to work on other netbooks, and the project he was working on for PB was that incomplete and now long abandoned digital character creation program. further, it's creator is named "Jeff" (no last name given), and by his own account the Antarctica netbook was just a netbook (and one he admits was nto very good), though given the most up to date page on any of his works that I can find is from around 2002, he seems to have dropped out of the PB community entirely.

the current Antarctica book that is publication pending was written by Matthew Clements, who also authored Black market, and the Northern Gun books. he is a fairly recent palladium freelancer, and while I suspect all of his books so far represent a fair number of years of work before they reached this point, I highly doubt that they were based in any fashion on the old net-books.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Sometime after Mechanoids: Space.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

It's listed in the "Rifter 73 sneak preview" right above "some surprises"

Coming in 2016
(clipped a little bit of the list)
- Rifts® World Books and Sourcebooks, including Rifts® Sovietski, Rifts® Antarctica, Rifts® New Navy, and others.
- And some surprises ...

But that could just about anything :D
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

glitterboy2098 wrote:not sure where your getting the 18 year bit, since they only announced the existence of the book in 2011. pretty sure that prior to that murmur in 2011, it had never been mentioned by the company.

(also, a quick search shows no other threads started by you about Antarctica, and only a few comments on threads started by others.. so unless you had different accounts or something, pretty sure you haven't been posting a thread ever 4 years (especially since it hasn't even been 4 years since you joined the forum)

i can understand that you seem to be exited about this book (though i cannot for the life of me understand why), but if your goingto make a grand claim like 18 years, you should probably provide evidence.

The first manuscript for Rifts Antarctica was submitted by Ben Lucas not long after Rifts Australia came out.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

A submitted manuscript does not mean it was selected to become a published work however.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
FrankSerpico
D-Bee

Unread post by FrankSerpico »

Good lookin out thank you
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Jefffar wrote:A submitted manuscript does not mean it was selected to become a published work however.

This is quite true.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I heard they hired a Time Lord, so they can rerelease the book nine years ago.

So when you buy it, it comes used.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

FrankSerpico wrote:

Good lookin out thank you

Always look at sneak preview and hope to see some day.
around 6-8 new ones listed, wonder what they will be (and when)
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

CyCo wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:snip

The first manuscript for Rifts Antarctica was submitted by Ben Lucas not long after Rifts Australia came out.

Thats the one, and based on other replies it looks like its now a different manuscript (and that explains a lot! Glad to have some real info on why the delay has been so large and quiet aside from a 'comming soon').
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

say652 wrote:I heard they hired a Time Lord, so they can rerelease the book nine years ago.

I am okay with this, I have a certain fondness of (and aversion to) used books. I just have no idea what the RIFTS team might have envisioned for it now, and am so curious, some of the world books have been dramatically different from what I might imagine (woo dinosaurs! Dreamtime!) a 400 years post apocolypse location might be and any rich history and lore that developed. Rifts 'canada/northern territories' is so interesting and the Freezer P.C.C. REALLY got me jonesing for it. Though I am probably most interested in its coverart and owning it as a book for my collection >.> used icy looking book would just look great if thats my only option!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I remind myself that I've been disappointed looking at the 'coming attractions'.
I also remind myself I've been pleasantly surprised on occasion by books that, from my perspective at least, I didn't see coming.
So, I still nurse some hope. :wink:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Niji wrote:
say652 wrote:I heard they hired a Time Lord, so they can rerelease the book nine years ago.

I am okay with this, I have a certain fondness of (and aversion to) used books. I just have no idea what the RIFTS team might have envisioned for it now, and am so curious, some of the world books have been dramatically different from what I might imagine (woo dinosaurs! Dreamtime!) a 400 years post apocolypse location might be and any rich history and lore that developed. Rifts 'canada/northern territories' is so interesting and the Freezer P.C.C. REALLY got me jonesing for it. Though I am probably most interested in its coverart and owning it as a book for my collection >.> used icy looking book would just look great if thats my only option!

The freezer PCC was in a rifter.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sometime after Mechanoids: Space.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well said, Lady.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

He cannot be Doom III. Doom would have referred to Doom simply as Doom.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Blastaar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Home of the Xiticix...
Hudsons Wheigh is located near my actual home of Gillam and not Gitlam

Unread post by Blastaar »

Rifts Scotland was promoted in 1999 (Rifter 004) Cancelled in Rifter 012)
Rifts Australia books 2 and 3 were January 2000 (Rifter 009)
Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!

Return to “Rifts®”