Death of Gods

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lukterran
Adventurer

Death of Gods

Unread post by Lukterran »

Just wondering how many other people have had a god get killed or defeated in their campaigns? Which ones? How? :twisted:
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Re: Death of Gods

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I've had parties kill lower level, low mdc/sdc gods a few times before. I figure if they are smart enough/powerful enough to do it, awesome. They have stats, use them! However, you usually have to deal with a lot of defenders, other gods or powerful beings who are friends and possibly an entire pantheon. So it is somewhat likely depending on the god/situation that other gods will show up and stomp them into oblivion.

I don't remember which gods specifically, but they weren't like Zeus or anything like that. As for repercussions, obviously all the priests lose their powers and the followers will feel foresaken but in time, should move on to other gods and in much time, the god will be forgotten. But generally speaking it is very hard to kill an actual god due to res spells and stuff like that.

And any time they'd defeated the god, it was through some planning, getting them stuck somewhere they can't escape from and then hammering them with shear brute force repeatedly. And these are obviously high level characters with lots of power at their disposal. These are type of things that happen at 14th/15th level when campaigns are nearing an end and they really want to just go out with a bang, from what I generally find.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

"well, gods do die. it generally doesn't make them less dangerous" -Murai, priestess of the Veiled.*

*from a wonderful little comic called Digger. a wombat. a dead god. one very peculiar epic.

it's not really possible to kill a god with active worshippers. even if you slay the physical body, the energy from all that worship will keep the gods essence alive and well. eventually that god is going to come back.. and ticked off at the characters. IIRC dragons and gods talks about this a bit.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Gods can only be killed in their home realm of existence. If you kill a god, he will come back later unless you kill him on his home turf.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I had an adventure that was based around the return of the old ones and a fair few gods did die (but mostly cxame back)
When heim died an area about 20 miles across turned into thick forest
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Since it's such a useful way of god-killing in other games... does anyone know if any kinds of explosives exist in PF? Like perhaps if Dwarves have any they might use in mining ores? I don't know if it would be dynamite or anything, but just SOMETHING. Like I'm watching this show called 'Strange Empire' and miners were using explosives in pioneering times.

I know PF isn't quite up to there yet (no guns) but explosives have been around longer than guns, with Chinese using fireworks and what-not, makes me wonder if they might be in some world book and I just overlooked them?

When I think of Warcraft, they introduced the "Dwarven Demolition" (along with Goblin Sappers) in Tides of Darkness prior to the introduction of Riflemen in Reign of Chaos, so I think having explosives in a non-rifle world might not upset the genre too much.

They should probable be less effective and more dangerous than dynamite and similar we see in HU/Nightbane though. Kind of like what black powder weapons are to modern guns.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

To my recollection, no non-magical explosives have been introduced in PF, yet.

I've had players kill gods, but that was back in 1st edition and me being 13.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I have had one god get killed in the course of my gaming as a direct result of player actions (as opposed to Death By Plot). The players had gotten a personal vendetta with the god, organized a counter cult, arranged for assassinations of key members of the faith, burned shrines and temples, organized simultaneous invasions of all the nations that followed him by rampaging armies, and otherwise damaged the faith of the people in him. The loss of faith weakened him enough that his divine foes pounced. Note that this was done over the course of decades (I think it was closer to two=three centuries if I recall. Its BEEN decades now so my memory on the details is a bit fuzzy.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

First edition made it feasible to kill a god. 2nd Edition really hard thanks to deific powers and some very powerful
weapons and special abilities. Had an adventure in which the goddess Hel made a contest between a player
character and herself, and he nearly killed her until she had to cheat and thus the contract between them was
broken and he was given his soul back.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

There are ways around deific powers, though a lot of the limitations is in a gods' personality not to use them to their best tactical possibility. A logical cowardly god would just mass-cast 'Banish' against all enemies indirectly through minions to remove a lot of inter-dimensional threats.

Biggest problem is the ease at which gods can be brought back to life. Not as scary if the notes under Annihilation/Discorporation are interpreted as only applying to those who intentionally self-terminate, but even without that problem-free resurrection, they can still come back easily with less PPE if another deity wants to help.

The easiest targets are gods who have no deific allies to bring them back to life or bail them out. Guys like Kirgi or that dog guy.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Gods that have died in my campaigns listed below:

Ra - Summoner was attempting to create a new power circle. Basically a cross between a create rift circle and a summon dragons. Instead it tore a piece of the dragon god's Styphon home realm and transplaneted it into the summoning chamber in Palladium, along with the two other gods he was battling at the time Ra and Isis. That caught all the gods unexpectedly and offered Styphon the oppurtunity to land the killing blow against Ra. Afterward Styhon dimensionally teleported away. Leaving the summoner to deal with a very anger goddess. Ra was later restored to life.

Pith - An entry campaign was based on facing off against this Deity. During final battle at the end of the adventure and he was finally defeat by the last party member with his rune sword Gilgimesh. The other party members had all be taken out my the assassin gods powerful traps and magic.

Anhur & Yin-Sloth - Both were killed of in a single battle. The arch angel and servant of Ra began a rebellion of angels against the gods to purify the world of evil. The final battle was epic and many angelic, mortals and supernatural forces died on the battlefield. Many other Gods were envolved but they all lived. Anhur was eventually bought back by his Pantheon. However, Yin-Sloth was allowed to stay dead.

Hoknar - He didn't really die. However, he was trapped in another dimension with a alien intellegence with nearly limitless power. After the player character was given one wish to call upon any one alley he wanted to help him, Hoknar was his choice. The player later was able to escape that realm. Hoknar stayed behind to protect the player against a "Death" like figure that was the guarding the only passage way in or out of the realm. Hoknar remains trapped unable to defeat the undying creature and it unable to best Hoknar as well.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Lukterran wrote:Hoknar - He didn't really die. However, he was trapped in another dimension with a alien intellegence with nearly limitless power. After the player character was given one wish to call upon any one alley he wanted to help him, Hoknar was his choice. The player later was able to escape that realm. Hoknar stayed behind to protect the player against a "Death" like figure that was the guarding the only passage way in or out of the realm. Hoknar remains trapped unable to defeat the undying creature and it unable to best Hoknar as well.

This just made me smile because of how he made Epim upset. It's Dwarf-god time!
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Osiris always starts out dead in my games and while I hesitate to make any definite declarations, Satan hasn't been seen since second edition came out.

Kidding aside, I've never seen a real god get killed in any game. I think the closest that it came to was one I was a player in. We managed to kill Mormor on the mortal plane, which of course didn't stick. His minions got pretty annoying after that. To the point where we considering going after him on his own plane. The campaign ended to the group moving to different parts of the country so it never got that far. It was also a very high level game. One character was a 14 level wizard, 6 level diabolist and 3rd level summoner (care to guess what their long term goal was?). The lowest level character was around 8th or 9th and most of us were around 12th.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Soldier of Od killed Mictla (but 1st edition as others said)
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”