Have you ever GM'ed yourself?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Have you ever GM'ed yourself?

Unread post by Suicycho »

So, I've been feeling the urge to play again, but I don't really want to deal with players; their rules lawyering, their pettiness, their attitudes etc. And I also don't want to have to work around their schedules.

I'm considering playing a solo campaign. I will loosely document it as a "story" as I play, as this will give me the ability to include npc activity, plots and schemes over the course of the game that you're not really able to do in a normal game with players.
I plan on posting the adventure "stories" here if I proceed, to share the experiment as well as get feedback on how I am doing it.

Thoughts?
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
flatline
Knight

Re: Have you ever GM'ed yourself?

Unread post by flatline »

When I'm learning a new system, I sometimes run through scenarios where I play the player characters and the NPCs in order to get a feel for how the mechanics work.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I do this a lot for the 'getting to know you' phase of character creation.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I've considered working up rules somewhat based on Munchkin Quest or the various D&D-branded board games (where you explore, uncover monsters, and try to achieve goals) to play some games without players.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

I ran a duo campaign where myself and another were the only players. We would essential trade off when dealing with NPC's and combat was straightforward with the use of a dice roller being used for all rolls... As I recall we had little use for the roller.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

All the time when I am bored at work on a break.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Well just be careful cause if you do it to much you'll go blind. :p

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Only once ... Full Party Wipe ... Never play in a game under that GM again

Daniel Stoker wrote:Well just be careful cause if you do it to much you'll go blind. :p

I was trying to find a way to make that joke
Arakash
D-Bee

Unread post by Arakash »

To me, a campaign where someone is GM'ing only themselves sounds, in practice, exactly like writing a book/fanfiction for Rifts, especially if you aren't doing any dice rolls.
Have you considered writing a book or even a short story instead?

When I wasn't interested/available for playing any Tabletop games last year, i wrote a Fan/Settingfiction for a Rifts campaign i had watched and found it to be entertaining and thought provoking. Its not exactly the same thing as a book, but I can empathize with not being able or willing to play for a time.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

To test game mechanics or work out the weird powers in HU. I generate characters, make dice rolls, that kind of thing. Test damage out puts and how much of a beating something can take.

Standard enviroments are the alley behind O'Mally's bar and grill. Targets here can be mobsters, bikers, dirty cops or even soldiers, using generic stats for badguys from the HU book. This is usually a straight up fight test.

The house on fourth street, which is a gang land drug house, again using thugs or a mobster and thugs as the bad guy. This can be a sneak test or a fight test.

Or the ever popular being the maniacs who are beating on that guy's tank test.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

lol all the time when making npc's i have a pretty large stack of npc's from being bored or getting new books and rolling up a few, running mini missions in my head as a story, and rolling dice as needed.

i may start with an idea (and normally some timeline in mind) and often things change from what i had in mind from the dice rolls, rolling up a merc or bounty hunter seems straight forward of a mission but maybe a very bad miss hits a bystander with some lasting consiquence? maybe they flubbed a skill roll while forging documents and got picked up by police? anything can change the idea i started with.

also since i don't always start with whatever the newest timeline is i like to make timelines for npc's i roll up, so if starting a game in say 92PA that merc has just got their contract, but by 93PA they might be in jail (or compleated that and onto another job depending how the rolls went) by 98PA the merc might be in jail still, or released depending on why they got arrested by 102PA they might have died in jail, or got released and become some lawman for a small town,or gave up fighting all together and decided to become a baker after they got out
...or depending on the rolls that first mission in 92PA went off perfectly and by 102PA they run their own merc company.

having a rough timeline in my head for event's helps me who might be in an area players are in at that date.

also with so many plots, mini missions and campaigns in my head that npc's are all upto on their own i tend to let players roam freely, so if a player does something like saying "i don't like the look of this town, i think i'll keep looking til i find someplace else" i don't have to find someway to force the player to go to that town since that's all i planed for, or let them go to another town but have all the same things i planed for to happen anywhere they go, i just let them go where they wants since that first town in 92PA merc just got the contract and might be recruiting help...so they miss that chance, but the next town over there is that illegal book smuggling ring that's been going on since 88PA ...the one after that? might be the one with that retired cyber-doc that's now a butcher...but for the right price they will still do minor augmentation (if they don't get to that town until 98PA though that cyber-doc has made enough connections and bribed enough police to opperate that they have starting having to grind up the removed limbs and sell it as 'cheep meat' in the shop just to dispose of it all.

so i have "GM'ed" myself plenty of times, and it's been while since i checked the forums so may or may not read up on anything you post but seeing the rolls (or at least important ones) would be preferable to me (though probably the minority in that lol) and of course depends on the type of game/story too
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I've done this. I call it writing a story.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

This is the saddest most loneliest thing I've heard... That being said, Call of Cthulhu has several plots written for you to GM yourself through. They are written kind of as a choose your own adventure story. So, you don't read the plot ahead of time, you just make decisions and flip to the page with the outcome. Of course you have to be honest and not fudge your rolls, but it works I suppose. Personally, I'd just pick 1 other person and run them through with a NPC of your own, but make sure your NPC doesn't influence the story line too much. Best of luck. Personally I'd just play a video game instead.

Return to “Rifts®”