Galaxy Guide Speed Factors into light years per hour?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Galaxy Guide Speed Factors into light years per hour?

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I know a lot of you are numbers people and love getting math on stuff, so I'm trying to convert the "factor" in light years per hour for ease of play. Basically galaxy guide drives in three galaxies... Any help is appreciated and since everything is in multiples of 10, a single answer of:

Factor 10 = __ Light Years Per Hour would be great!

I'd really appreciate it, I'm trying to do it, but failing.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Re: Galaxy Guide Speed Factors into light years per hour?

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

MaxxSterling wrote:I know a lot of you are numbers people and love getting math on stuff, so I'm trying to convert the "factor" in light years per hour for ease of play. Basically galaxy guide drives in three galaxies... Any help is appreciated and since everything is in multiples of 10, a single answer of:

A factor of 1 is 1 light year in one year, or 8,760 hours.. so if you take 8,760 hours divided by the Factor, you get how many hours it will take to travel a light year.. Factor 10 will mean one light year in 876 hours, or 36 and a half days. Interstellar Ramjets seem to be the best bang for the buck, topping out at Factor 120 (assuming you can plot a course keeping you within 10 light years of a star or nebula at all times), which would be 1 light year in a mere 73 hours, or just over three days...

This is why the need for extensive use of gate systems in the Aliens Unlimited Galaxy.. hopping between gates is easier and then paying the toll to go the distance through them. Still, I've had great fun with a group adventuring in the setting, calculating the time it took for a faster pirate ship to catch up with them once it was in sensor range.. They had time to make some dirty bomb mines to drop in it's path..
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
MaxxSterling
Adventurer

Thanks for the input. I saw some other threads, but none broke it down that way. I'll work with it.
MADMANMIKE

I had a conversation through email with Wayne Breaux back in the day about some inconsistencies in the creation rules vs. the ships presented and he said Coffin had butchered them in edit. Somewhere on a disc I've got the corrections he sent me, along with some simple modifications I made to the rules for my use.. I'll see if I can find them if you're interested.. The Barbarian class fighter was designed to be the perfect party transportation, for example, but the stats don't add up to the proper modules vs. features as printed..
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

MaxxSterling wrote:I know a lot of you are numbers people and love getting math on stuff, so I'm trying to convert the "factor" in light years per hour for ease of play. Basically galaxy guide drives in three galaxies... Any help is appreciated and since everything is in multiples of 10, a single answer of:

Factor 10 = 10 x the speed of light
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

factor 10 works out to be a little less than 1 lightyear per month.

factor ten = 1 ly / 876.6 hours, which is 36.525 days.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

MADMANMIKE wrote:

A factor of 1 is 1 light year in one year, or 8,760 hours.. so if you take 8,760 hours divided by the Factor, you get how many hours it will take to travel a light year.. Factor 10 will mean one light year in 876 hours, or 36 and a half days. Interstellar Ramjets seem to be the best bang for the buck, topping out at Factor 120 (assuming you can plot a course keeping you within 10 light years of a star or nebula at all times), which would be 1 light year in a mere 73 hours, or just over three days...

This is why the need for extensive use of gate systems in the Aliens Unlimited Galaxy.. hopping between gates is easier and then paying the toll to go the distance through them. Still, I've had great fun with a group adventuring in the setting, calculating the time it took for a faster pirate ship to catch up with them once it was in sensor range.. They had time to make some dirty bomb mines to drop in it's path..

So "true" FTL drives like those in SWars, STrek or Robotech/Macross 2 might be represented as higher "factors", maybe in the 20's or greater?
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually, most of those shows would have factors of 4000+. startrek drives can reach close to half a light year per hour for standard style drives, star wars has speeds comparable to Phase world, Robotech has speeds way faster than phaseworld, and the japanese macross spin offs are even faster than robotech.

however, of that list, star trek comes closest in feel, because most of their early (Enterprise and The Original Series) ships have FTL speeds comparable to AUGG stuff. though both of those tend to have "plot drive" that makes them faster or slower depending on how important it is to the story.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, most of those shows would have factors of 4000+. startrek drives can reach close to half a light year per hour for standard style drives, star wars has speeds comparable to Phase world, Robotech has speeds way faster than phaseworld, and the japanese macross spin offs are even faster than robotech.

however, of that list, star trek comes closest in feel, because most of their early (Enterprise and The Original Series) ships have FTL speeds comparable to AUGG stuff. though both of those tend to have "plot drive" that makes them faster or slower depending on how important it is to the story.

When did Robotech get standard FTL drives instead of space-skipping fold drives that can't really be said to be FTL systems?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Nightmask wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:actually, most of those shows would have factors of 4000+. startrek drives can reach close to half a light year per hour for standard style drives, star wars has speeds comparable to Phase world, Robotech has speeds way faster than phaseworld, and the japanese macross spin offs are even faster than robotech.

When did Robotech get standard FTL drives instead of space-skipping fold drives that can't really be said to be FTL systems?

day one. the show depicts hyperdrive style travel, and shadow chronicles didn't retcon it.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmask
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

day one. the show depicts hyperdrive style travel, and shadow chronicles didn't retcon it.

I don't know where you get that, we see the use of sub-light drives (way below light speed) on the way back from Pluto and the space-fold drive (which doesn't constitute an FTL drive) but there's no evidence of drives that let you travel through space at or above light speed.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Nightmask wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

I don't know where you get that, we see the use of sub-light drives (way below light speed) on the way back from Pluto and the space-fold drive (which doesn't constitute an FTL drive) but there's no evidence of drives that let you travel through space at or above light speed.

Yeah in the RT anime they typically mention "fold", but IIRC in Macross: DYRL aka "Clash of the Bionoids" Misa/ Lisa used "warp" instead of fold. I consider "fold" equivalent to "warp" and thus a "true" FTL system. Also using "non-canaon" sources for Macross/RT FTL speeds I've comes across a rating of 1 light yr/6 min. That's the best I can come up with though. :oops:
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Nightmask wrote:I don't know where you get that, we see the use of sub-light drives (way below light speed) on the way back from Pluto and the space-fold drive (which doesn't constitute an FTL drive) but there's no evidence of drives that let you travel through space at or above light speed.

so you just ignore the trip to the factory satellite? (which took several days, with long times spent traveling through 'hyperspace') or the shadow chronicles trips?
or the fact that the zentraedi and humans refer to traveling through hyperspace when talking about fold travel?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmask
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:I don't know where you get that, we see the use of sub-light drives (way below light speed) on the way back from Pluto and the space-fold drive (which doesn't constitute an FTL drive) but there's no evidence of drives that let you travel through space at or above light speed.

so you just ignore the trip to the factory satellite? (which took several days, with long times spent traveling through 'hyperspace') or the shadow chronicles trips?
or the fact that the zentraedi and humans refer to traveling through hyperspace when talking about fold travel?

We seem to have a problem here, you think travel through hyperspace=FTL drive, which as I've noted several times it doesn't. An equivalent example would be the ships in Babylon 5, they don't have FTL like Robotech they enter into another dimension (hyperspace) and travel through that to get to their location. While they get there faster than light can travel they aren't traveling faster than light because they aren't traveling in the regular universe they're traveling in a different universe to bypass conventional space.

FTL drives remain within the universe, like the contra-gravity drives of Phase World or Aliens Unlimited. Space Fold/Hyperspace drives don't provide FTL travel they provide extra-dimensional travel that skips over intervening space entirely as the ship ceases to even exist in the normal universe. Another example would be someone with a super-precise dimensional travel power or spell who goes from Earth to Phase World then immediately back to Mars in his universe. He never traveled at FTL speeds even though he got there faster than light travels he simply skipped around the space in between and didn't even move really he just stood there and traveled twice.

keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Nightmask wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

We seem to have a problem here, you think travel through hyperspace=FTL drive, which as I've noted several times it doesn't. An equivalent example would be the ships in Babylon 5, they don't have FTL like Robotech they enter into another dimension (hyperspace) and travel through that to get to their location. While they get there faster than light can travel they aren't traveling faster than light because they aren't traveling in the regular universe they're traveling in a different universe to bypass conventional space.

FTL drives remain within the universe, like the contra-gravity drives of Phase World or Aliens Unlimited. Space Fold/Hyperspace drives don't provide FTL travel they provide extra-dimensional travel that skips over intervening space entirely as the ship ceases to even exist in the normal universe. Another example would be someone with a super-precise dimensional travel power or spell who goes from Earth to Phase World then immediately back to Mars in his universe. He never traveled at FTL speeds even though he got there faster than light travels he simply skipped around the space in between and didn't even move really he just stood there and traveled twice.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, though technically by definition any drive system that allows a ship to bypass the light speed limit is called an "FTL" drive. But I do agree that in actuality what's happening is that RT ships (and those like them) are passing through extra-dimensional space to arrive at their destination "faster than light" and 3G drives and StarTrek drives remain in normal space instead.
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

I always understood the theory of space-folding as being when the drive system literally manipulates the fabric of space-time, folding it, and the ship then punches through the different layers until it reaches its destination, usually in a matter of seconds for a short jump. Hyperspace is a totally different dimension that has different physics than our own, allowing ships to travel huge distances in a much shorter period of time. The ship does not actually go faster than the speed of light as it exists in our dimension. Warp drives as in Star Trek, operate by generating an artificial field around the ship that allows it to bypass whatever physics would make it impossible to actually break through the speed of light barrier, and allows the ship to exceed the speed of light exponentially.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
MADMANMIKE

keir451 wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:

So "true" FTL drives like those in SWars, STrek or Robotech/Macross 2 might be represented as higher "factors", maybe in the 20's or greater?

No, it's not exponential.. 1LY= 8,760 hours of travel at factor 1, 4,380 hours of travel at factor 2, 2,920 hours of travel at factor 3, 876 hours of travel at factor 10, 438 hours of travel at factor 20.. Just divide 8,760 hours (the number of hours in a year, hence light year) by the factor, and that's how long it takes.. so if you want more than one light year per hour, you have to have a factor higher than 8,760... Factor 8,760 would be 1 light year per hour...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The "Intruder" and "RT" Fold Drives, as presented in the game books, are 'jump drives'. They take the ship from one point to another in a matter of seconds.

Rappanui wrote:snip... the Karbarrans accomplish it with "sekiton" which is some plant matter that turns reactive and highly energized when they touch it, and is unpowered when handled by non karbarreans. ...snip

"sekiton" is the peat formed from the mutant variety of IFoL that grows on the Karbarrean home-world.

'peat': semi-decomposed plant matter mixed with dirt that forms in marshes. It is harvested to be used as a fuel source for heating in places where it forms naturally, like in England, Ireland, and Scotland.
-----------------
The RT Masters used Monopole Ore as fuel the Reflex Furnaces in the Ships they gave the Zentradie to use.
-----------------
Warp Drives bend space-time to give the ship an apparent-velocity through space. Thus a Ship using a warp drive can travel through space while standing still inside it's warp bubble.
------------------
Hyperdrives take the ship outside the normal universe to a dimension that all the points are congruent to every point in normal space but closer together, or the Speed of Light is greater.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The "Intruder" and "RT" Fold Drives, as presented in the game books, are 'jump drives'. They take the ship from one point to another in a matter of seconds.

note that the robotech drives mentioned hare are from the old books.. the new shadow chronicles RPG has been fairly mum about FTL.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
MADMANMIKE

I think maybe it's time for a relevantly titled thread?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

MADMANMIKE wrote:I think maybe it's time for a relevantly titled thread?

I don't want to talk about my relitives. :P

To get back to the OP question

Factor 10 = 0.0011407712 Light Years Per Hour
So about 0.114% of a light year per hour
camk4evr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by camk4evr »

Rappanui wrote:the ftl drives in robotech are fold drives, they fold space. They do not create hyperspace.
however, The rpg uses hyperspace - sensors to explain how they communicate ftl.

Actually, the fold drives of Robotech/Macross are refered (in full) to as 'Hyperspace Fold Drives' and Space Folds are refered to (in full) as a 'Hyperspace Fold'. Here's a simple terms description from [url=http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Fold]the Macross Compendium's Fold article:
[/url]

To explain in simple terms, a fold transports a spacecraft in a very short amount of time by first swapping the location of the spacecraft with super dimension space or subspace, and then swapping the super dimension space with the space at the destination.
According to U.N. Spacy First Lieutenant Misa Hayase during Space War I (2009-2010), an hour passes in super dimension space as approximately ten days passes in normal space.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything official that says how fast these drives are (in light years per hour).
May contain peanuts
-warning I saw on a pack of Peanut Butter M&Ms
Nightmask
Palladin

camk4evr wrote:
Rappanui wrote:the ftl drives in robotech are fold drives, they fold space. They do not create hyperspace.
however, The rpg uses hyperspace - sensors to explain how they communicate ftl.

Actually, the fold drives of Robotech/Macross are refered (in full) to as 'Hyperspace Fold Drives' and Space Folds are refered to (in full) as a 'Hyperspace Fold'. Here's a simple terms description from [url=http://macross.anime.net/wiki/Fold]the Macross Compendium's Fold article:
[/url]

To explain in simple terms, a fold transports a spacecraft in a very short amount of time by first swapping the location of the spacecraft with super dimension space or subspace, and then swapping the super dimension space with the space at the destination.
According to U.N. Spacy First Lieutenant Misa Hayase during Space War I (2009-2010), an hour passes in super dimension space as approximately ten days passes in normal space.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything official that says how fast these drives are (in light years per hour).

Because they aren't fast as you aren't really moving, since you aren't moving you don't have a speed which is why they list apparent time to the rest of the universe that you're gone and the time you think passes.

Nightmask
Palladin

Rappanui wrote:Given that data, they're basically moving in 1 hour, what it would normally take 10 days for a Radio Signal to travel. Which basically means, Their Not moving fast at all! it would take years to reach somewhere like Fantoma using that kind of math.
(Radio Signals move at the speed of lighti n vaccum, so basically, It's a FTL-200 System for the macross 1 inter system Jump
however, the SDF-1 was capable of jumping from Fantoma to earth in roughly 5 years of travel time. (According to comic book Zor's origin)
as for how many Light yearrs that would be, varies ... in The RPG 1st ed, The Empire is "much" bigger then it should be, because the rpg proposits the hyperspace speed is instantaneous and VERY fast.
but the OSM and Comics imply diffirent scales...
So basically, you're moving at a speed that would take you , basically forever, to reach say, Alpha Centauri. Or rather. 1 LY Every 36 days.. about on par with AU's Ships.
the 1st ed Rpg has their speeds more like 20,000 LY A day.

in TMNT, they had a Transluminal Drive, which basically was 2 Light years per hour.

I think you misinterpreted things a bit there, let me rephrase things and see if that helps. Your subjective time is one hour in Hyperspace. From our universe's perspective you were gone in Hyperspace 10 days. It doesn't matter where you're folding to whether it's from Earth to Pluto or Earth to the other side of the Universe it'd be 10 days from the perspective of the universe.

camk4evr
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by camk4evr »

Nightmask wrote:
Rappanui wrote:Given that data, they're basically moving in 1 hour, what it would normally take 10 days for a Radio Signal to travel. Which basically means, Their Not moving fast at all! it would take years to reach somewhere like Fantoma using that kind of math.
(Radio Signals move at the speed of lighti n vaccum, so basically, It's a FTL-200 System for the macross 1 inter system Jump
however, the SDF-1 was capable of jumping from Fantoma to earth in roughly 5 years of travel time. (According to comic book Zor's origin)
as for how many Light yearrs that would be, varies ... in The RPG 1st ed, The Empire is "much" bigger then it should be, because the rpg proposits the hyperspace speed is instantaneous and VERY fast.
but the OSM and Comics imply diffirent scales...
So basically, you're moving at a speed that would take you , basically forever, to reach say, Alpha Centauri. Or rather. 1 LY Every 36 days.. about on par with AU's Ships.
the 1st ed Rpg has their speeds more like 20,000 LY A day.

in TMNT, they had a Transluminal Drive, which basically was 2 Light years per hour.

I think you misinterpreted things a bit there, let me rephrase things and see if that helps. Your subjective time is one hour in Hyperspace. From our universe's perspective you were gone in Hyperspace 10 days. It doesn't matter where you're folding to whether it's from Earth to Pluto or Earth to the other side of the Universe it'd be 10 days from the perspective of the universe.

And when I said speed, I meant how many light years were covered by that fold in real (our universe) time or how many light years so they travel in one hour (real time).
May contain peanuts
-warning I saw on a pack of Peanut Butter M&Ms
MADMANMIKE

Seriously! What does this debate over the speeds of ships in Robotech and TMNT have to do with the Original post? At this point somebody should ask a moderator to trim more than two thirds of the posts in this thread to a separate thread with that topic...
MaxxSterling
Adventurer

Oh yeah, it's all good. I got my answer days ago. Keep the train runnin' off the tracks... Who cares. I'm glad it brought up some other good stuff.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Another way to make the FTL systems in AU:GG work in Phaseworld is... divide the factor by 100, and that is your LY/hr. rate.
so a Factor 1 engine would give you 0.01LY/hr. or 1 percent of a light year every hour. VERY slow by PW standards, but not USELESS by PW standards.
Cuz seriously, having an FTL measured in bare 'C' X factor means your PC's are NEVER gonna get anywhere and still have a home to get back to after their adventure. Unless you also bring in hypergravitics and a damned good up-to-date map of the gravity wells.

My two decicreds into the mix ;)
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
MADMANMIKE

DhAkael wrote:Another way to make the FTL systems in AU:GG work in Phaseworld is... divide the factor by 100, and that is your LY/hr. rate.
so a Factor 1 engine would give you 0.01LY/hr. or 1 percent of a light year every hour. VERY slow by PW standards, but not USELESS by PW standards.
Cuz seriously, having an FTL measured in bare 'C' X factor means your PC's are NEVER gonna get anywhere and still have a home to get back to after their adventure. Unless you also bring in hypergravitics and a damned good up-to-date map of the gravity wells.

It's not useless, they have an extensive gate network in the AU galaxy.. But yeah, if you were so inclined, you could easily translate factor speed to Light Years per hour as is; I'd just divide by 10 and cap the available Factor levels.

-Mike <8]
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

MADMANMIKE wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Another way to make the FTL systems in AU:GG work in Phaseworld is... divide the factor by 100, and that is your LY/hr. rate.

It's not useless, they have an extensive gate network in the AU galaxy.. But yeah, if you were so inclined, you could easily translate factor speed to Light Years per hour as is; I'd just divide by 10 and cap the available Factor levels.

-Mike <8]

Please note empahsis :D
The AU 'verse as you said, has many gravity wells and hypergates. I DID mean if used in the PW 'verse, where phase & CG drives would blow almost all the AU:GG drive systems clean out of the water...going backwards...if the AU:GG systems were kept as 1 Factor = 1C. Thus my conversion idea.
SLOW yes, but not useless In Phaseworld.

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well first you need to think of how each FtL drive from Galaxy guide is affect by 3 Galaxies,space?

Well for me I reverse things like instead of 8 light years per hour,some drives you go 1 year per 8 hours and so On.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

gaby wrote:Well first you need to think of how each FtL drive from Galaxy guide is affect by 3 Galaxies,space?

Well for me I reverse things like instead of 8 light years per hour,some drives you go 1 year per 8 hours and so On.

It is more like how many days or weeks it takes to go a light year for HU FTL drives.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer

Holy late to the party Batman... But, I always appreciate input, because many of these questions are never truly answered!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

For teh record SW drives are actually more along the lines of x10 - x100 that of Phaseworld based on what information we have on how long it takes to get from certain worlds to others across the SW galaxy, which is about the same size as the milky way. ST I think is a max of 1/4 - 1/3 a LY per hour at Warp 9.998 or some such. I'd have to recheck my notes.

AU:GG is slightly slower than that.

Now if you were planning to put the AU as part of Phaseworld.....yeah I'd say just divide the Factor by 10 or 100 depending on what youthink their tech level comparisons are for simplicity sake.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

jaymz wrote:For the record SW drives are actually more along the lines of x10 - x100 that of Phaseworld based on what information we have on how long it takes to get from certain worlds to others across the SW galaxy, which is about the same size as the milky way. ST I think is a max of 1/4 - 1/3 a LY per hour at Warp 9.998 or some such. I'd have to recheck my notes.

AU:GG is slightly slower than that.

Now if you were planning to put the AU as part of Phaseworld.....yeah I'd say just divide the Factor by 10 or 100 depending on what you think their tech level comparisons are for simplicity sake.

The Empire, the SW setting, is just, maybe, a quarter wedge of their galaxy.

In voyager, in the same galaxy (70,000-75,000 LY from Federations space), and it started out as a 75 T-year trip.

AUGG....to travel with the Anti-Gravity drives max producible speed of Speed Factor 20 (20 c) takes 18.25 Terran Standard Days to travel One Light Year. A trip for a SF 20 ship doing the 70,000 LY trip would take 3,472 years.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

drewkitty - uh no it is not. It in fact covers the majority of the galaxy. Yes there is a section called the "slice", which is likely the wedge you speak of, but that is far from the only part of the galaxy covered or controlled by any side in any era of Star Wars. In fact the majority of the Galaxy just prior to the Clone wars was "known space" with a section of "wild space" and "unknown regions". the later two being mostly the outer edge/rim of the galaxy.

Unlike Trek that has very small portions of the galaxy known beyond the known powers and whatever Voyager found/discovered/travelled by.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

going by the maps put out as official products.. the galactic empire controls about 2/3rds of their galaxy.. the part that isn't controlled is mostly uncharted, though the empire is constantly mapping and conquering these regions.

that said, the degree of control the empire has varies based on where you are.. the core worlds (which are located very near the core of the galaxy) their control is pretty strong. the closer to the rim you get, the less control they have in general.. though that is still more of a case of "well, there are no star destroyers in orbit, so we'll continue to play lipservice but pretty much do what we want" for most worlds.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Exactly :lol: :ok:

Though you also have Hutt Space which looking a the maps is bigger than Trek's Federation, not to mention the Corporate Sector which is pretty large in it's own right....and I'd say the Empire at it's height might be closer to 3/4 but that's me. The Republic we know was smaller by some margin as Tattooine was not part of the Republic, but we know that later it was technically part of the Empire. Mind you a LOT of that is now up in the air with the removal of EU from "canon" much like Sentinels in Robotech....

\m/
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

jaymz wrote:Exactly :lol: :ok:

Though you also have Hutt Space which looking a the maps is bigger than Trek's Federation, not to mention the Corporate Sector which is pretty large in it's own right....and I'd say the Empire at it's height might be closer to 3/4 but that's me. The Republic we know was smaller by some margin as Tattooine was not part of the Republic, but we know that later it was technically part of the Empire. Mind you a LOT of that is now up in the air with the removal of EU from "canon" much like Sentinels in Robotech....

per http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive
the fastest hyperdrives are 0.4 the falcon has a 0.5 hyperdrive and is one of the fastest ships in the galaxy.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Maximum_warp
basically ~warp 9.8 is the galaxy classes maximum standard warp speed which is over 3000x the speed of light and it can't sustain that speed for long. I do know that warp factor 9.8 is a lot faster than warp 9 and 9.875 is a LOT faster than 9.8
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Warp_factor

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”