SEX Magic???

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Talon Starblade
Wanderer

SEX Magic???

Unread post by Talon Starblade »

Ok... I've seen such things in other systems, but can't say I've encountered this field of magic. having gotten hold of the "Mysteries of Magic" book, and seeing it mentioned not once, but three times (if my count was correct?) makes me wonder if this is an article I missed somewhere (what book might it be in?), or if this like the "War magic" likewise mentioned in the same OCC... Waiting to be set to print.

Assistance would be appreciated.
Let the world tremble, for my imagination LIVES!
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Re: SEX Magic???

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Future books in the series.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Talon Starblade wrote:Ok... I've seen such things in other systems, but can't say I've encountered this field of magic. having gotten hold of the "Mysteries of Magic" book, and seeing it mentioned not once, but three times (if my count was correct?) makes me wonder if this is an article I missed somewhere (what book might it be in?), or if this like the "War magic" likewise mentioned in the same OCC... Waiting to be set to print.

Assistance would be appreciated.

I haven't read the book, but I assume it's a just a method of generating magic power, similar to sacrifice.
That's how it's portrayed in real-world occultism, anyway.

I'd be surprised if they came out with a bunch of "Sex Magic" spells or OCCs or anything.
:-D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

gmapprentice wrote:my apologies if i'm offending anyone with this, but this whole concepts just sounds wrong. way wrong.

Sex magic has a fairly long history in the real world. My initial intention was that it was a form of PPE-gathering in a ritual. Kevin is planning on extending it somewhat from that.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

8-)

Heh, heh.

Extending...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Library Ogre

Braden Campbell wrote:8-)

Heh, heh.

Extending...

As I was writing this, I knew someone would comment on that.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

I more interested in serpent magic myself.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I'd like to see the Sex Magic write-up in a multi-part Rifter article.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I do think PB has been wise to stay away from this topic in their books.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

We already have demonic, soul-eating, womb-busting monsters, weapons of mass destruction, and warnings up the wazoo...
If written tastefully and tactfully, I see no reason why sex magic couldn't be a good addition to the magic line up...
of course, it will have nowhere near the same popularity as Ludicrous Magery... :fool:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:
taalismn wrote:We already have demonic, soul-eating, womb-busting monsters, weapons of mass destruction, and warnings up the wazoo...
If written tastefully and tactfully, I see no reason why sex magic couldn't be a good addition to the magic line up...
of course, it will have nowhere near the same popularity as Ludicrous Magery... :fool:

How about a Ludicrous / sex mage godling. :twisted:

Oh dear...oh dear...you just HAD to get that part of my brain off and running....
So I curse you with.... TechnoWizard apprenticing in sex magery...with an interest in Elemental Warlockery(or maybe Ocean Magic).....with an eye towards building the ultimate Love Hotel Water Bed....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Ahhhh, so refreshing to see the creative process in action.....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

Yeah !Sex Magics !
Houri and Sexcraft ! :D :D
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Let me get this straight. Ripping people apart and showing them their intestines is MORE mentally healthy than sharing pleasure with another to gather power?

Have you all lost your minds? No. Really. I mean this. Have you all lost your minds?

Palladium has that warning on it's books for a reason. You can always choose not to buy the book. But you know, I would rather have my scrupulous good character gather power through sex than have the only way to gain additional PPE be to butcher people like animals.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Balabanto wrote:Let me get this straight. Ripping people apart and showing them their intestines is MORE mentally healthy than sharing pleasure with another to gather power?

Have you all lost your minds? No. Really. I mean this. Have you all lost your minds?

Palladium has that warning on it's books for a reason. You can always choose not to buy the book. But you know, I would rather have my scrupulous good character gather power through sex than have the only way to gain additional PPE be to butcher people like animals.

Greetings and Salutations. Reading that comment and I just have to ask ... have you never been to a movie? Or even a video game really? A movie about killing people? Can be Rated PG-13 (R, at worst). A movie about sex? Well, there's a special little section for that. The fact you seem shocked by this makes me wonder what corner of the world you live in to have no concept of this fact. I'm not going to say it's a bad idea, but it should be rather clear why there is more ... hesitation and discretion involved. Even if you think the rest of the world is stupid for that fact, you should accept that fact that Palladium exists inside that world and should tread cautiously for that reason alone. Anyways, just had to post that one. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Library Ogre

Prysus wrote:
Balabanto wrote:Let me get this straight. Ripping people apart and showing them their intestines is MORE mentally healthy than sharing pleasure with another to gather power?

Greetings and Salutations. Reading that comment and I just have to ask ... have you never been to a movie? Or even a video game really? A movie about killing people? Can be Rated PG-13 (R, at worst). A movie about sex? Well, there's a special little section for that. The fact you seem shocked by this makes me wonder what corner of the world you live in to have no concept of this fact.

He lives in a non-United States part of the world. The US is incredibly prudish when it comes to naked people.

All Palladium Articles
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Mark Hall wrote:
Prysus wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. Reading that comment and I just have to ask ... have you never been to a movie? Or even a video game really? A movie about killing people? Can be Rated PG-13 (R, at worst). A movie about sex? Well, there's a special little section for that. The fact you seem shocked by this makes me wonder what corner of the world you live in to have no concept of this fact.

He lives in a non-United States part of the world. The US is incredibly prudish when it comes to naked people.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I'd agree with the fact about nudity. Not so sure about sex though (which is a bit more than just nudity). Let's take a look at Japan, which is far more liberal about nudity. Anime (well known here in the states) has nudity fairly common. Animation about sex? Called "hentai" which translates into "pervert." Yes, I'll confess that the United States is extremely prudish, no doubt, but from what I can tell (and I guess I could be off), while other countries may be more liberal with nudity, sex is still an entirely different matter. I could be wrong and maybe I named the only two places in the world that have a view like that, if so I apologize. Thank you for your time, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Blame the Elizabethan attitudes on elizabeth of british royalty. if not for her the puritans would not of had anything to bring over.

However, since sex is suppose to be one of the bonds in marriage, things about sex are suppose to be kept with in the marriage. Not aired in public like laundry.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Library Ogre

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Blame the Elizabethan attitudes on elizabeth of british royalty. if not for her the puritans would not of had anything to bring over.

However, since sex is suppose to be one of the bonds in marriage, things about sex are suppose to be kept with in the marriage. Not aired in public like laundry.

Maybe for Elizabethan attitudes of British Royalty. A number of Hindu temples would disagree that sex shouldn't be shown in public.

All Palladium Articles
taalismn
Priest

Mark Hall wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Blame the Elizabethan attitudes on elizabeth of british royalty. if not for her the puritans would not of had anything to bring over.

Maybe for Elizabethan attitudes of British Royalty. A number of Hindu temples would disagree that sex shouldn't be shown in public.

Yeah...Indian films are passionate and knock-out attention-grabbing(longing looks and music dance numbers at the drop of a hat), but they draw the line at physical intimacy and nudity....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Library Ogre

taalismn wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Yeah...Indian films are passionate and knock-out attention-grabbing(longing looks and music dance numbers at the drop of a hat), but they draw the line at physical intimacy and nudity....

Which is why I used the word "temples", specifying, you know, things that, amongst other things, are not modern movies. And, in fact, much of the Kama Sutra was originally temple decorations.

All Palladium Articles
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

I actually wrote up an entire school of sex magic, though it was really more about fertility and protecting unborn/newborn children than anything else.
taalismn
Priest

Prince Artemis wrote:I actually wrote up an entire school of sex magic, though it was really more about fertility and protecting unborn/newborn children than anything else.

If possible, post it...in many Palladium worlds, anything that helps grow populations, reduce infant mortality, and protect fertile mothers, is a godsend for those lacking access to high tech medicine...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

For the purposes of clarifying this thread, I thought I would try to explain the term a little better. Sex Magic could mean many things. It certainly can refer to a completely fictional collection of spells which make junior high schoolers giggle (exactly like Killer Cyborg thinks that Palladium's version will not be). It could be a method of PPE gathering like Mark suggests. Lastly, it could be Prince Artemis' system.

I don't see how I could go into more detail about the first possibility without breaking board rules. I'll leave that to you own demented imaginations.

The second possibility is the one that needs more explanation. The practice of sex magic differs greatly from one group of users to another, but as it has been explained to me, the concept is pretty much the same. It's a matter of generating or gathering (depending on your concepts and perceptions of magic) energy. In the Palladium system, we're talking about P.P.E. Since Palladium mages can already take P.P.E. from themselves and other people, sex magic would probably tap into the hidden P.P.E. which is normally only released when a lifeform dies.

A common and mundane example of sex magic in application would be a stage magician who hires a leggy assistant to distract the audience. A more occult-oriented and mystical example would be the orgy parties organized by founding-NASA chemist Parsons when he was trying to summon the whore of Babylon. Ironically, the story of Jack Parsons is even weirder than I made it seem in that last sentence and possibly true. There is a webcomic about Parsons here, but the best bio (compact, comprehensive, and well researched) was on Pages 51 & 52 of Kennith Hite's second Suppressed Transmission book.

The third possibility is Prince Arty's work, and I know nothing about that. It seems, however, like the best concept of the three possibilities for Palladium. My gut feeling is that the sex magic mentioned in Mysteries of Magic probably is Matthew's work.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

I see no problem with sex magic conceptually.

Now...here's MY problem with sex magic socially. Now...Even done tastefully, and with brilliant writing...

How many of YOU are going to use it? Seriously? How "useful" is this? I don't know about you guys...it's one thing to discuss some epic gory murder scene with your friends. It's another to discuss a scene involving sex. I don't think I can keep the Suspension of disbelief when the guy running the girl I'm having sex magic with is 40 something bawlding guy, let alone in a room full of 40 something bawlding guys. I have a great imagination, but come on...I'm only a mortal.

Typical sacrificial scene for gathering PPE will include horrific sounds, cries of agony, pleas for mercy...the fearful look in the virgins eyes as you raise your dagger and plung it into her soft skin.

Now...take that scene and imagine it with Sex magic. Yeah...i got uncomfortable too...

So...not such a bad thing...something cute for a GM and his/her partner to do when bored to LARP it out...not so much when in a room full of hairy sweaty fat men...yeah...

I can honestly say not on the top 10 of "Things I look forward to palladium putting out". Call me conservative, but when I'm around guys, I want to rp killing things. Not making love to girls who are being played by a guy...

I can honestly say, without a doubt, i've never uttered the words "You know what palladium needs. More sex magic".

Typical sex magic scene when/if it does come out:

GM: You found someone willing to participate in the ritual...she looks at you, that soft light in her eyes, the magic filled in her waiting to be set free...she reaches for your...

Player: Look, I rolled a 20...I got her PPE now right? Good. I go brutally murder some CS soldiers with it.

GM: BUt I didnt' finish the scene..

Player: Um...that's ok...

GM: But...I love you....

Player: Oh, god...I'm gonna go play D&D 4ed. Bye.

GM: If only...you had given me a chance.

::Player leaves::

Hum...If sex magic is a way to gather and make PPE...does that mean children will produce more PPE than an adult since they are more sensitive and have more PPE?
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Klaus027
D-Bee

Unread post by Klaus027 »

I game with my sons who are 15 & 13. The 15 yr old would handle sex magic (however it comes about) responcibly. But I could forsee arguments with my 13 yr old about why I don't approve of him hitting the red light districts in Timiro for a little extra "oomph" with his spell casting.

Teaching children how to have a responsible relationship in today's society is hard enough with a lot of the shows and movies out there (most of which I've enjoyed), but I really don't feel we need more disinformation on how to treat sex and relationships. I read somewhere that their are more people divorced currently in America than are married. (of course, statistics can be manipulated). I am married almost 17 yrs with the mother of my only children. I know that's not the only path to happiness, but it is the one I hope my kids follow.

As far as violence goes, if my kids are attacked, I fully expect them to defend themselves or each other. And that's how they usually play their characters.

But I agree that I don't have to buy the book when it comes out. I am also fully capable of saying "no, we don't play that in our games" and moving on if I do buy the book (which I will, I buy all of Palladiums books.)
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

taalismn wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:I actually wrote up an entire school of sex magic, though it was really more about fertility and protecting unborn/newborn children than anything else.

If possible, post it...in many Palladium worlds, anything that helps grow populations, reduce infant mortality, and protect fertile mothers, is a godsend for those lacking access to high tech medicine...

In game, he was trying to repopulate a planet of incredibly resilent and fast healing people, so making a bunch of stackable spells that could conceivably result in a woman having 24 kids at a time was good...when it would kill most other species.

As for posting them, ever since someone blatantly ripped off my artisan spells off and tried to take credit from another forum, I don't post my spells for general consumption.
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

The thing I find to be slightly disturbing is the mentioning of Sex Magic is done in ther book to strongly suggest it is evil form of magic.
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Mark Hall wrote:
gmapprentice wrote:my apologies if i'm offending anyone with this, but this whole concepts just sounds wrong. way wrong.

Sex magic has a fairly long history in the real world. My initial intention was that it was a form of PPE-gathering in a ritual. Kevin is planning on extending it somewhat from that.

Personaly I think you should change the name to "LOVE MAGIC" and that it's a form of magic that only works for two people that truly love each other. and that it's known as "Sex Magic" by the un-enlightened.
If not your opening up a nasty can of worms that could scar palladium books and it's players for years!
dark brandon
Knight

Darkorinth wrote:The whole problem with that is that real world history pretty much makes that impossible. After all in Rifts back before magic disappear there would have been historical evidence that they had something to prevent disease, reduce infant mortality, etc. If they did have something like that then just the change is surviving population would have changed the world so much that the history of Rifts earth couldn't hope to resemble the real world.

In the end the results that would logically follow make it something that is best as a myth in game rather than a fact.

Or, you could assume that it did work, and what you had what the historical evidence. See, you have nothing really to compare it to. One could easily assume that the population in history could have been as much as 50% lower without it.

I just don't think it has a place cause no one would ever really use it. It's kinda like asking how a certain dbee goes to the bathroom. Unless it explodes or can be sold for credits no one really cares.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Kinda shocked (and partly pleased) the thread wasn't just locked down. I've always assumed similar brands of magic existed in quiet was that avoided attacting focus to itself, treated just above necromancy, a sort of low brow magic, but the arcane arts in most Palladium Books games tends to seep into every facet of life one way or another, I don't see why it wouldn't here either, weather using sex as a form of power generation, ritual booster, or using magic to influence the act itself (love charm had a clear theme there).
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Talon Starblade
Wanderer

Unread post by Talon Starblade »

Well, when I initially posted this question I was thinking of the various applications, especially with some of what I’d seen in the past. Areas I would think might be addressed might include: Manipulation (enchantments and bio-manipulations to control and incite the action), prevention (self explanatory), Assistance (insuring and controlling pregnancy, and possibly even alteration spells to allow unusual copulation), protective and emergency spells (helping or speeding a pregnancy, easing the process, transferring and even allowing alternate sex or species to bring the fetus to term).

Believe me, this stuff isn’t that far out, and definitely does not have to get gory, disgusting, or distasteful. The players and Gm in my usual gaming group have no problem having their characters looking for a good time, and the GM has had no problems giving them repercussions of such encounters. Just because a player/GM doesn’t go into detail on it, doesn’t mean the characters aren’t doing it.
Let the world tremble, for my imagination LIVES!
dark brandon
Knight

Darkorinth wrote:
dark brandon wrote:
Darkorinth wrote:The whole problem with that is that real world history pretty much makes that impossible. After all in Rifts back before magic disappear there would have been historical evidence that they had something to prevent disease, reduce infant mortality, etc. If they did have something like that then just the change is surviving population would have changed the world so much that the history of Rifts earth couldn't hope to resemble the real world.

In the end the results that would logically follow make it something that is best as a myth in game rather than a fact.

Or, you could assume that it did work, and what you had what the historical evidence. See, you have nothing really to compare it to. One could easily assume that the population in history could have been as much as 50% lower without it.

I just don't think it has a place cause no one would ever really use it. It's kinda like asking how a certain dbee goes to the bathroom. Unless it explodes or can be sold for credits no one really cares.

Actually we do have something to compare it to. Specifically we have the time when magic was available and when it wasn't. There was a point in Rifts Earth history where magic pretty much vanished. While historians and archaeologist could shrug off the monster stories and tales of magic as imagination, but the huge rise in infant mortality rate that would have accompanied the loss of "sex" magic would certainly be noticed.

While magic was very much less in rifts past (beyond the supernatural) there was some magic that persisted. Magic wasn't as readily availible, and at a much more diminished capacity, but still, magic existed. Also, how much evidence would you have? The time of atlantis disappearing may have been long before platos time (I forget if he visited it). Long before you had accurate information on birth-rates.

You could, for IG reasons, point to the many civilizations that "lost" the ability and ended up becoming extinct, like the incan empire.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Sex magic?

Sounds like someone else remembers the La Blue Girl Rifts conversions that were on the Internet some time ago. ;)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Klaus027 wrote:I game with my sons who are 15 & 13. The 15 yr old would handle sex magic (however it comes about) responcibly. But I could forsee arguments with my 13 yr old about why I don't approve of him hitting the red light districts in Timiro for a little extra "oomph" with his spell casting.

Teaching children how to have a responsible relationship in today's society is hard enough with a lot of the shows and movies out there (most of which I've enjoyed), but I really don't feel we need more disinformation on how to treat sex and relationships. I read somewhere that their are more people divorced currently in America than are married. (of course, statistics can be manipulated). I am married almost 17 yrs with the mother of my only children. I know that's not the only path to happiness, but it is the one I hope my kids follow.

As far as violence goes, if my kids are attacked, I fully expect them to defend themselves or each other. And that's how they usually play their characters.

But I agree that I don't have to buy the book when it comes out. I am also fully capable of saying "no, we don't play that in our games" and moving on if I do buy the book (which I will, I buy all of Palladiums books.)

This more or less, is the reason that should this project get large and actually get written in any seriousness (and tactfully done), it honestly should be a PDF, no store is going to want to shelf it just because they know some 10 year old is gonna come in with their parent and end up flipping through it by chance, PDF directly bought online removes this, and parents don't need to say no to a kid wanting it because "it's the newest release' not compreneding whats in it (or the parent who says yes figureing it's just another book, as I doubt the title would be Mysterys of Magic: SEX MAGIC! with some nude woman on the front casting spells or generating PPE. Well, I suppose nude women on covers casting spells isn't ground breaking . . .)

dark brandon
Knight

Darkorinth wrote:D&D's Book of Erotic Fantasy was a popular seller in game stores. It was well written, interesting, had nice illustrations ( :wink: ) and overall was a good book worth buying. If Palladium handled it similarly it could be a very good book.

I'm going to disagree on this one, It was popular and did probably sell well...but having read it, it wasn't all that well written or interesting. It did have some good photographs (I don't recall seeing many illustrations) but would never drop money on it for any reason other than to say I have it.
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

Hmm...
Well, as far as spells that would influence the odds of experiencing an intimate encounter or increasing the pleasure such an encounter might bring, I feel they would be of limited utility, and strictly RP material. Naturally in the X-thousands of years of magic research more than a few lonely wizards have crafted such spells.
Tantric rituals to gather P.P.E. would be nearly a waste of time. An average human/near human has only a handful of P.P.E. At death this is doubled. With "Le Petite Morte" (the little death) 1.5x normal would be reasonable. This would gain you approximately 10 or so P.P.E. per person involved. To gather a worthwhile amount of energy, you'd have to RP a scenario that many would find distasteful.
By far, the most interesting possibility is the fertility type magic. If I dig around, I believe I have a Rolmaster (tm, c, pdq) supplement that has spells for increasing fertility, boosting an unborn's health, incubation, and genetic manipulation. This might fall into a nature/druidic field.
Gene Splicers beware!
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
taalismn
Priest

Khanibal wrote:Hmm...
Naturally in the X-thousands of years of magic research more than a few lonely wizards have crafted such spells.

'Animate X-Rated Magazine Pictures' and 'Manipulate Adult Photographs' being some of the lesser of such spells...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Khanibal
Hero

Shifters choosing the Leather Goddesses of Phobos for their Link to the Supernatural.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Mark Hall wrote:
Prysus wrote:

Actually, I live in New Jersey, but the second part of your statement is, in fact correct.
Khanibal
Hero

Rifts: TFOS?
Our Teenagers From Outer Space group had a guy with mad science working on a boy/girl grenade launcher.

Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

dark brandon wrote:I see no problem with sex magic conceptually.

Now...here's MY problem with sex magic socially. Now...Even done tastefully, and with brilliant writing...

How many of YOU are going to use it? Seriously? How "useful" is this? I don't know about you guys...it's one thing to discuss some epic gory murder scene with your friends. It's another to discuss a scene involving sex. I don't think I can keep the Suspension of disbelief when the guy running the girl I'm having sex magic with is 40 something bawlding guy, let alone in a room full of 40 something bawlding guys. I have a great imagination, but come on...I'm only a mortal.

Typical sacrificial scene for gathering PPE will include horrific sounds, cries of agony, pleas for mercy...the fearful look in the virgins eyes as you raise your dagger and plung it into her soft skin.
Now...take that scene and imagine it with Sex magic. Yeah...i got uncomfortable too...

So...not such a bad thing...something cute for a GM and his/her partner to do when bored to LARP it out...not so much when in a room full of hairy sweaty fat men...yeah...

I can honestly say not on the top 10 of "Things I look forward to palladium putting out". Call me conservative, but when I'm around guys, I want to rp killing things. Not making love to girls who are being played by a guy...

I can honestly say, without a doubt, i've never uttered the words "You know what palladium needs. More sex magic".

Typical sex magic scene when/if it does come out:

GM: You found someone willing to participate in the ritual...she looks at you, that soft light in her eyes, the magic filled in her waiting to be set free...she reaches for your...

Player: Look, I rolled a 20...I got her PPE now right? Good. I go brutally murder some CS soldiers with it.

GM: BUt I didnt' finish the scene..

Player: Um...that's ok...

GM: But...I love you....

Player: Oh, god...I'm gonna go play D&D 4ed. Bye.

GM: If only...you had given me a chance.

::Player leaves::

Hum...If sex magic is a way to gather and make PPE...does that mean children will produce more PPE than an adult since they are more sensitive and have more PPE?

LOOK UP TANTRIC SEX, YOU UNENLIGHTENED WEASEL
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Khanibal wrote:Rifts: TFOS?
Our Teenagers From Outer Space group had a guy with mad science working on a boy/girl grenade launcher.

I take it that the effect of the grenade was to change the sex of the target, not anything else....?

a pairing of a LM and a TW could make an sex change TW grenade.
dark brandon
Knight

Grandil wrote:LOOK UP TANTRIC SEX, YOU UNENLIGHTENED WEASEL

It's not about what it is or isn't. It's simply I put that it will not (in my humble opinion) add anything to the game and something that will be rarely used and cause more trouble than it's worth.

Understand the majority of the post was meant as a joke. All in good fun. No need to get angry and start throwing around insults. I simply think adding this isn't a good business decision. I could be wrong. But, like I said

I can honestly say, without a doubt, I've never uttered the words "You know what palladium needs? More sex magic".

P.S. I was 20 once and read Tantric sex, and you know...it's still not something I'd want to RP with a bunch of fat guy nerds with neck beards.
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud

Unread post by Grandil »

Sorry, I got a little angry & Assumed. Dude, get some women into your game....... Its quite enlightening.
Thats Deducing. We all know what assuming is.......Also, RP'ing women characters is quite fun actually,
just 2 weeks ago I seduced a 15 YO character-the player was of age. Of course it wasn't Rifts, or any
Pally stuff-it was 7th seas. My character was a Daoine Sidhe, the other was a 15 YO Spanish
Mountaineer. Yeah, yeah, I know, Statutory .... I actually wanted to get preggers. My character was
Female of course..... You get a whole different perspective when playing with females, or playing a
female. Another thing Tantra is something you Practice, NOT read.
dark brandon
Knight

Grandil wrote:Sorry, I got a little angry & Assumed. Dude, get some women into your game....... Its quite enlightening.
Thats Deducing. We all know what assuming is.......Also, RP'ing women characters is quite fun actually,
just 2 weeks ago I seduced a 15 YO character-the player was of age. Of course it wasn't Rifts, or any
Pally stuff-it was 7th seas. My character was a Daoine Sidhe, the other was a 15 YO Spanish
Mountaineer. Yeah, yeah, I know, Statutory .... I actually wanted to get preggers. My character was
Female of course..... You get a whole different perspective when playing with females, or playing a
female. Another thing Tantra is something you Practice, NOT read.

I've played with a few women/girls. Not many. There are not that many out there. And I've played female characters too. That doesn't mean it's something I would play with guys that sweat butter and have braided neck beards.

Maybe it will be a big seller. Personally, I don't think there's a call for it. Most female gamers I know would probably get uncomfortable RPing sex magic in a room full of nerds. There's always going to be 1 or two...but most of the girls I played with dislike combat and sex. They go for story. I can only recall one who activly played a seductress and the only one who I think would be interested in sex magic. One in like 20 years of gaming (Lets assume I have an "average" gaming experience...no more, no less than the average gamer)

As for what tantra is or isn't is or how one practices it irrelevant to this discussion. All that matters is "Will it cause controversy but will the money it brings in be worth it?" I would still buy the book whether it has it or not. But regardless, it's something I don't think that would ever come into play, it's not something I would ever use. It's something I don't think very many would use. It'd be waited space for something that's rarely used when people would much rather have (in general) more spells that give us unique ways to melt some faces that won't make many people feel uncomfortable.
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grandil »

I can see what U R saying. Being married does have its perks, I guess. In a game setting, I've had alot of
female players. I can see why KY would be different that California. After almost 40 years of Gaming, I
personally feel that adding a sex magic addition to this game would be a plus. I currently play the game
with my wife, & 2 or 3 others. Puritanical attitudes aside, I have had problems w/playing sexual themes
with others, but never with my wife. Dagnabit, I only have 2 mins. Dark brandon, I'll get back to this
soon.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

dark brandon wrote:Maybe it will be a big seller. Personally, I don't think there's a call for it. Most female gamers I know would probably get uncomfortable RPing sex magic in a room full of nerds. There's always going to be 1 or two...but most of the girls I played with dislike combat and sex. They go for story. I can only recall one who activly played a seductress and the only one who I think would be interested in sex magic.

Perhaps a divergence of topic, but really? Almost all of the Female Gamers I've played with (which is about six), most have been far more combat oriented (and often better at the meta game aspect of the games, and typicality, more successful then the males). In addition, I know none of them would be opposed to magic in this vein (they may not USE it themselves, but they'd at least laugh in humor of it, and not be offended in any way by it). Perhaps I just got a good area for Female gamers in that respect (i.e an abundance of them).

dark brandon
Knight

Cinos wrote:Perhaps a divergence of topic, but really? Almost all of the Female Gamers I've played with (which is about six), most have been far more combat oriented (and often better at the meta game aspect of the games, and typicality, more successful then the males). In addition, I know none of them would be opposed to magic in this vein (they may not USE it themselves, but they'd at least laugh in humor of it, and not be offended in any way by it). Perhaps I just got a good area for Female gamers in that respect (i.e an abundance of them).

yep, really. Maybe it's good, maybe just odd...maybe just luck. I'd wager that most female gamers would get uncomfortable with sex magic. Hell, i'm not a girl, and I'd get wierded out by seeing billy, the 400lb gamer that sweats butter talking about how his female character writhes in extacy as she performs odd sexual acts to gain a bonus to spell magic...I mean...just..no...
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I really don't think that sex magic has any place in the Palladium game system, at least not the way it is being represented in this thread. In all fairness though it can be presented without being lewd as I would see it as a collection of spells and rituals that are used for control/manipulation. This can be accomplished easily by a few modest descriptions of how the sex magic practitioner uses the magic to control, manupulate and gain followers/slaves in a way not too dissimilar from a Shifter. It would be very disdainful if all it amounted to was just giving a bunch of geeks sitting around a table getting their jollies.
Last edited by Anthar on Sat May 08, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”