Given up yet?

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Given up yet?

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Well I have. Do the rest of you think we will ever see this book? I actually started working on a quick and dirty supplement for HU called Recon Unlimited. In fact I an still compiling info for this (not really so quick after all). Anyway has anyone else given up and modified an existing Palladium game?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Given up yet?

Unread post by Jefffar »

I was writing my own version (modified N&SS/SystemsFailure/ATB2 hybrid rules and skills) at the time the latest version of R:MC was announced.

I never stopped tinkering with it.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Trooper Jim wrote:Well I have. Do the rest of you think we will ever see this book? I actually started working on a quick and dirty supplement for HU called Recon Unlimited. In fact I an still compiling info for this (not really so quick after all). Anyway has anyone else given up and modified an existing Palladium game?

This sounds very interesting...sounds sorta like some of those Image Comics from the early 90's like CyberForce, WILDC.A.T's, or Stormwatch.

You are welcome to bring this over to the RPG Think Tank for any help you might need.
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

I'll be honest, I have. Completely. Oh well, what can you do. *shrugs* :-?

...........................Omote
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Nope I haven't ... :)
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I have too.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I don't know the meaning of the words "give up" :p
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Somebody get TD a dictionary.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Blue Falcon

Unread post by Blue Falcon »

Recon Modern Combat WILL come out...just as soon as Guns N' Roses puts out a new CD, Jimmy Hoffa's body is found, and shooter from the Grassy Knoll is identified.

:D
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Isn't there a new GnR CD comming out real soon?

Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Jefffar wrote:Isn't there a new GnR CD comming out real soon?

its completely off-topic but: No, its not new, its a greatest hits collection. and its out already.

cheers, V

welcome to the jungle.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Just picked up Rifter 25. It has a nice artical on playing more realistic military characters in Ninjas & Superspies. good read, and well researched. I did take some issue with parts of it. but it does a good job of capturing the character type.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

An old argument of mine is that RMC would be easier to produce as a major suppliment to N&SS than as an independant RPG.

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Jefffar wrote:An old argument of mine is that RMC would be easier to produce as a major suppliment to N&SS than as an independant RPG.

I am going to have to agree with you on this one. It might be the only way we will ever see this game in print.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

[Tim Allen] Never retreat! Never Surrender! [/TA]

:D

I'll never give up....and Mary Ann still believes, too....so: Neener, neener!! :P
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Gilmagor

Well...

Unread post by Gilmagor »

... well, here's my first post on a Palladium board in ages. (Point in fact, the last time I posted in any Palladium board... it was in an arguement over the electronics, specifically, wiring in Skelebots and Power Armour from Rifts......)

And, well...

I was finally looking through the complete list of stuff Palladium makes and came across Recon and, admittedly, a few years ago I didn't think it was that cool.... of course, I had never read anything... even the product description really.

Anyhow, saw something for Recon: Modern Combat and thought: Wow... that'd be really cool... only... now I see it's probably gone to proverbial book purgatory. Much sadness. However, I've actually looked at the Recon blurb and, you know, it could be pretty cool too. Even if what I really want is RMC.

Anyhow, my first post in quite some time. Hello peoples.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Here I am to whine that another years release schedual and no RMC. But wait we have a new SCI FI RPG coming out.......... :x Just no damn RMC.
Sureshot
Champion

Trooper Jim wrote:Here I am to whine that another years release schedual and no RMC. But wait we have a new SCI FI RPG coming out.......... :x Just no damn RMC.

As long as there are troops in Iraq don't expect it to come out. They have posted their reason why and I respect that. Not that it makes the waiting any easier. I just hope Splicers is the last of their new games. I really want them to concentrate on their other game lines like HU and Palladium Fantasy.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

memorax wrote:
Trooper Jim wrote:Here I am to whine that another years release schedual and no RMC. But wait we have a new SCI FI RPG coming out.......... :x Just no damn RMC.

As long as there are troops in Iraq don't expect it to come out. They have posted their reason why and I respect that. Not that it makes the waiting any easier. I just hope Splicers is the last of their new games. I really want them to concentrate on their other game lines like HU and Palladium Fantasy.

Where is the reason posted. I haven't read this anyware so i would like to read this for myself. Thanks for the help.
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Trooper Jim wrote:
memorax wrote:

Where is the reason posted. I haven't read this anyware so i would like to read this for myself. Thanks for the help.

See Maryann's post at viewtopic.php?t=18960&highlight=recon

See also her at viewtopic.php?t=20934&highlight= for additional information
Firefly

Unread post by Firefly »

I bought all my palladium books from 1989 to 1994. I have a dozen of them, still occasional read my old books and still use the Palladium system but I haven't bought anything new by palladium in over 10 years. When I read about this new book on Recon Modern Combat in the works it finally sounded like a book that I would want to buy. After a decade I want to give palladium my money for this book. I get the book and they can use my money to buy a pizza. Sounds fair to me but they aren't going to release this book.

There is a market out there for this book. You can find anti-terrorist based toys and video games in the toy stores. Check TV on TNT they some new show called 'The GRID' (not going to watch it) but it looks like it's about fighting terrorists. Is the book offensive? I don't know what the actually text in the book is but is it making any generalizations saying, "Everyone from the middle east is a terrorist"? If so then please don't release it. The subject matter of modern anti-terrorism/terrorism warfare shouldn't be reason not to release it. Other companies are captializing on the subject.

What's the worst that can happen? Palladium books release it, people start buying it and maybe few people read something that offends them. The local media wants to question Palladium books about why they made such a game for kids. Palladium books can show other examples currently on the market and express that this game isn't meant for little kids etc. I learned all about the media and public relations at university, pay me and I'll take care this for you (anything to get a copy of this book :D ).

I'm a former customer. I'm also an older one too. My tastes have matured but part of me is still a kid that wants to RP. This book has got me interested in Palladium's products again. Release this book please, regain former customers looking for something a bit more mature and attract new mature customers as well.

In any case please feel free to send me an advance copy. I will be happy to read it at and use all the college edjumication to tell Palladium books if the public is ready for such a book. :lol:
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

BigLEE wrote:
See Maryann's post at viewtopic.php?t=18960&highlight=recon

See also her at viewtopic.php?t=20934&highlight= for additional information

Thank you Lee I must have missed that one.

Ok here I go.
TIRADE ALERT………………

WARNING INCOMEING RANT ………………………………...........

That is worst frikin excuse I have heard. Possibly offending someone is not a reason to delay the release of this book. I am beginning to think that we as Americans have become to thin skinned when it comes to being “offended”. You know I am offended by something or someone on damn near a daily basis. And what do I do? I either turn the channel, leave the theater, change the subject, or put the book down and never finish it. People need to understand that we do not live a perfect utopian world. As the day goes on you will be offended by someone, get over it. Learning to deal with a diversity of opinions will make you stronger. It really bothers me that the fear of “offending” some one has delayed the release of this product. I would have respected the argument that the book was delayed out respect for the families of those involved in current military operations. This excuse I think is just a copout. I think that PB just doesn’t want to release the book. If that is the case fine. I will find another military based RPG when I want to play a counter terror/espionage/special ops campaign.
You guys are probably tired of beating the “when is RMC coming out” dead horse. But like I have mentioned in other posts I have been waiting for this game since the early 90’s. It seams that with the current trend in movies, comics and even video games, this game might do well. Palladium has a strong customer base and I am sure a lot of them would like to see this game be released. I really just think that this is a bad decision. If it boils down to it, I will probably quit playing Palladium games long before this book is ever released. Too bad.
And that’s the bottom line.
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Maryann posts suggests two reasons for not seeing Recon Modern Combat. One, it would be in poor taste, and two, they don't believe they'd make their money back if they put it out at this time.

Palladium is a business. Why should they put out a book that they may lose money on?
Firefly

Unread post by Firefly »

I think they should look again at the current market. You have current non news television dealing with the subject. There is plenty of toys based on the subject. Clancy made a career writing about the subject. Look at the current video games that out there. Spintler cell, ghost recon, conflict desert storm, Socom etc.
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Firefly wrote:I think they should look again at the current market. You have current non news television dealing with the subject. There is plenty of toys based on the subject. Clancy made a career writing about the subject. Look at the current video games that out there. Spintler cell, ghost recon, conflict desert storm, Socom etc.

I believe they looked at their market, specifically pre-orders, and don't see a justification for pushing to get the product finished at this time. They did a similar thing the BtS 2E, although in BtS's case the book was largely re-written.
MOrab46019
Wanderer

A bit off subject

Unread post by MOrab46019 »

There was post about the moden d20 system comming out with a book called Blood and Steel. I would like to get that link if there is way to get it.In it they had info about 160th chopper wing. The ones that support all SF and other types of units. I think it also cover the 1st Armor it was PDF file. Anyone have that link?
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Re: A bit off subject

MorganKeyes wrote: I have it, talked with the author. It's pretty much junk. Alot of errors. Focus is all over the place and schitzophrenic at that. IE., classes are almost exclusively SpecOps types but goes overboard in making each individual unit or command a class. Then in rules and equipment it suddenly spreads itself out into conventional forces in many areas and even then there are alot of errors.

If you're looking for organization of things like the 160th SOAR (A), ask around for those of us that've been in instead of wasting cash, though at only $8.95 for a download I suppose you can give it a shot.

If you want a sample of the book, and in particular it's 160th SOAR entry, there is PDF demo here.

I don't have any experience with this game. I have however, played the Stargate SG-1 RPG from AEG. While it it isn't as detailed as I would like it does a good job of capturing the fast paced feel of the show. It could be used to play a decent modern combat type game.
BigLEE
Explorer

Re: A bit off subject

Unread post by BigLEE »

Trooper Jim wrote:I don't have any experience with this game. I have however, played the Stargate SG-1 RPG from AEG. While it it isn't as detailed as I would like it does a good job of capturing the fast paced feel of the show. It could be used to play a decent modern combat type game.

Stargate is based on AEG's Spycraft. While Spycraft is an Espionage game, US & World Military sourcebooks for the system in the upcoming months.

You might also want to try the Twilight:2000 reprints from QLI, Tour of Darkeness for the Savage Worlds system from PEG Inc. or Cartoon Action Heroes with the Darkness Unleased Sourebook if you want a G.I Joe type campaign.
MOrab46019
Wanderer

Twight:2000 reprints

Twilight:2000 reprints from QLI is there a link to check them out?
MOrab46019
Wanderer

Twight:2000 reprints

Twilight:2000 reprints from QLI is there a link to check them out?
BigLEE
Explorer

Re: Twight:2000 reprints

Unread post by BigLEE »

MOrab46019 wrote:Twilight:2000 reprints from QLI is there a link to check them out?

My bad, it's Far Futures doing the T2k reprints (QLI is doing Traveller:D20)See http://www.farfuture.net/ffe/n2002.html for more info.

Basically, it is a reprint of the First Edition Boxed Set and four adventures.

L.E.E.
ARMD454

Hmm

Unread post by ARMD454 »

Well, if Palladium is waiting for the Middle East to cool down to release Recon MC....we're going to be waiting a long, long, long time.
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Palladium books attitude is kind of odd when you think about it.

they have Terrorists and radicals on C S I buying, selling and/or shooting RPGs in cities here in the US(something that ironically has not happened yet, this may sound strange but on an average year theirs more "RPGs" bombs and diseases (not counting the traditional Annual Nuclear device.
which has me wondering! What do they do, play Texas no limmit poker and the first network out has to make or show a movie about a nuke going off?)are fired or sett off by the entertainment industry here in the US than have gone off since 1999.

but oh whell.
冠双
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well, here you're just preaching to the converted.

Write Kevin a nice letter asking him to move Recon forward.

Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

Hello,

I too have pretty much given up on it.So I lucked out and found a reprint copy of Twilight:2000. Now I just need a group to game with.L8r
Leo
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

Ya know, I have been waiting for this for a while. Not quite as long as some of you, but several years nonetheless. And I feel that the reason of poor taste due to the times is BS. There are games all over the market that deal with war and espionage. Hell, there is even a game called Haven: City of Violence that came out that is all about that sort of thing. Granted, the game is converting to D20 modern, but even D20 Modern has a lot of warfare behind it.

I know that, as a retailer, I could sell RMC in a heartbeat to dozens of people. I also know that nobody in my company has pre-ordered it yet because it has been "coming soon" for 10 years. That is likely the reason that online preorders haven't been flowing through the floodgates...people don't expect it to come out because of how long it has been on the back burner. And this isn't the only game Palladium has done this to. I remember seeing a "coming soon" ad for a game called "Void Runners" that looked really freaking interesting...and haven't seen a word about it since. I want both of these games to come out...I know I'd buy one or two of each, and I am sure hundreds, if not thousands of other people would as well.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points
Sureshot
Champion

Or at the very least removed completely from the online catalog and any upcoming printed catalogues.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

Sureshot wrote:Or at the very least removed completely from the online catalog and any upcoming printed catalogues.

I agree. Mechanoids Space and RMC need to be axed from the catalogue until they are actually going to come out.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

In the meantime you can always try to hunt down the original version of Recon that wasn't put out by Palladium. Myself, I have Revised Recon and Advanced Recon so I wouldn't buy it even if they publish a new one; I liked the original and don't see a need for change.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

gordyzx9r wrote:In the meantime you can always try to hunt down the original version of Recon that wasn't put out by Palladium. Myself, I have Revised Recon and Advanced Recon so I wouldn't buy it even if they publish a new one; I liked the original and don't see a need for change.

The original version is available for download at http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... lrecon.pdf sans the GM Screen.
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

BigLEE wrote:The original version is available for download at http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... lrecon.pdf sans the GM Screen.

Out of curiousity, how much would a mint condition version of this bring? Somehow I don't see it being that much.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
BigLEE
Explorer

Unread post by BigLEE »

Titan Games has a VF+ copy for $10.00.

L.E.E.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

So is it out yet? :-P
:fool:
lather