Game Length - ?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MIC
Megaversal® Ambassador

Game Length - ?

Unread post by MIC »

Recently a video was released that was 10 hours long on the game play of this game. I am a backer and am worried that the game time required to play maybe a bit long for me. SO how long does a real game take to play and complete?

On another note, very excited for the game and the models! YAY!
[url]miniaturesincolor.wordpress.com[/url]
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Game Length - ?

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

MIC wrote:Recently a video was released that was 10 hours long on the game play of this game. I am a backer and am worried that the game time required to play maybe a bit long for me. SO how long does a real game take to play and complete?

Eh... this is a tabletop game you're talking about, friend. The length of gameplay will vary depending on factors including the scenario being played, the amount of time it takes to set the game up, the size of each player's army, the tactics being used, luck or the absence thereof, and the amount of time spent poring over the rulebook for explanations of unclear rules and the vague wordings therein.

Ultimately, the answer is "as long or short as you make it"... but considering who's writing the rules, I rather suspect that last part is going to be the majority of "play'. (Though it usually is when learning any game.)
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

It took 10 hours cause no one knew the rules.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

According to ND during the campaign last year, a 300 point game between two players who know what they're doing is supposed to take about an hour.

They also mentioned that a 600 point game could take an entire afternoon.

Edit: Yes, yes, opponent, terrain, objectives, time of day, what everyone had for breakfast, etc, etc, etc will all influence that timeframe, but that's the guideline we've been given. How it plays out in reality for the majority of players remains to be seen.

That said, they have emphasized repeatedly that this is a fast game.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I would not use that video of an example of the speed of gameplay, unless it was the example of people never having run it.

"The Devil's among us!
WilhelmRochRedDuke
D-Bee

Unread post by WilhelmRochRedDuke »

Just to clarify . The video was drawn out and unedited, there was no pauses or stopping of the recording.. There was a good amount of discussion on the video, including alot of questions and answers. Actual gameplay was roughly 30 - 40 minutes a turn with 4 units per side, for people who did not know the rules and were taught during the video. I could easily see the turns go down to less than half that. Should we have ran through the introductory scenarios then there would have been a much quicker learning curve and turns would have run much faster for the bigger game.. Everyone who participated enjoyed the game very much, and were looking forward to the games release, only two individuals there were KS backers of the 5 players.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Thanks for chiming in WRRD.

"The Devil's among us!
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

WilhelmRochRedDuke wrote:Just to clarify . The video was drawn out and unedited, there was no pauses or stopping of the recording.. There was a good amount of discussion on the video, including alot of questions and answers. Actual gameplay was roughly 30 - 40 minutes a turn with 4 units per side, for people who did not know the rules and were taught during the video. I could easily see the turns go down to less than half that. Should we have ran through the introductory scenarios then there would have been a much quicker learning curve and turns would have run much faster for the bigger game.. Everyone who participated enjoyed the game very much, and were looking forward to the games release, only two individuals there were KS backers of the 5 players.

Doing a proper gameplay video has been suggested a few times, and PB even responded that they thought it was a good idea. Two such videos, actually, would be spectacular; another 'demo' that takes its time through a few turns to show off how the game is played, and a straight up game between two players, with no particular chatter other than what it takes to play the game to show off how 'fast' it really is (with commentary from a third party if they felt like adding that, which could make for a good meeting ground between the two).

What was the point total for the demo game again? Was it 300 points? Units per side (Characters? Upgrades chosen? Squads at least)? Etc. I recall seeing someone post information summarizing what happened on the stream, and possibly some details about the game itself, but between here and a half dozen other places, where it was exactly is eluding me.

If 300 points is a "standard" game, which comprises roughly 12 to 48+ figures (with a possibly lower range if many upgrades/characters are used), and assuming a game goes to 5-6+ turns, hopefully it's possible to get each player's turn down to 5 minutes (obviously early positional turns will take less time than later shooting heavy turns, however that may even later be offset by units being destroyed reducing options/figures to move and utilize). That, or competitive/tournament play may simply need to run less than 300 points, which is entirely possible as well. Given the round lengths for Warhammer, X-Wing, Malifaux and a few other game systems I'm aware of, I figured that'd be a natural match from what we were told, but obviously it'd also be up to the tournament organizer/tournament rules/venue/time frame/etc.
MIC
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by MIC »

Thanks.. I asked because a lot of my friends were like SCREW THAT! a Game that takes 10 hours to play.. and yet there they sit in front of a computer all night playing WoW.. I need new friends lol.
WilhelmRochRedDuke
D-Bee

Unread post by WilhelmRochRedDuke »

Two such videos, actually, would be spectacular; another 'demo' that takes its time through a few turns to show off how the game is played, and a straight up game between two players, with no particular chatter other than what it takes to play the game to show off how 'fast' it really is (with commentary from a third party if they felt like adding that, which could make for a good meeting ground between the two).

Two really great ideas and I would love to see them made. I need to find the time to do them if I did them.... I'll see what I can come up with on that front. Others may volunteer and I could help get them set up to do a demo game, a particular game phase or a larger battle with stand-in minis. I have had very little in people asking about the rules or getting any current rules info... I want to help anyone that could get something like this done easier than I could..

the video demo game we played was 300 points..
The UEDF side consisted of an Armored destroid squadron (4 Tomahawks-80pts), a Fire Support Destroid squadron (2 defenders - 2 phalynxes-60pts), and 2 Valkyrie squads (3VF-1A's - 1VF-1J - 80 pts each) = 300pts
The Zentraedi side consisted of an Regult Artillary squadron (2 Gluuhaug-Regults and 2 Serauhaug-Regults -90pts), a REGULT Attack squadron (1 glaug - 9 battle pods-80pts - Veterans-20pts), a Regult Attrition squadron (12 Regults -70pts), and special character Miriya-Parina (10pts) in a Queadluun-Rau (30pts) = 300pts

Thoughts on the game: The destroids can dish out a good amount of damage but if their missiles are shot down - it can be a long day. The extra shooting from command points really benefit these guys.. the Valkyries can be very versatile but if they get shot at they will crumble.. In our game the tomahawks sat back and sniped at the Glaug but I think they would have been much more effective if they had moved up and engaged more with more missile systems. The Veteran Battle pods really stayed around and they even brought on reinforcements when a few pods got shot up. The Veteran status on them really made their shooting effective. The attrition squad did its job by being bullet magnets. Miriya looks really fun and she can dish out a lot of hurt (her mini missiles are great!).. just make sure their are other targets out there to shoot at. The Zent artillery squad can really dish out some missile spam.. As long as they don't get blown up in return. The game is fast at times and as with any game the more you get accustomed to the rules the faster your games will be.. i need to play again - SOON!
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

10 hours?! How did it go ten hours? Was that with or with out nap time?

None of the games I have played have taken more than three, and we used Monsters, body armor, arty pods, veritechs...the works, with upto 6 players.

I have three GENCON events palnned for 6 players each that I will teach the rules and play in 4 hours. The game isn't that hard, not alot of rules to remember.

The only game I played that took ten hours was Lunar Rails by Mayfair games, but that included time to get intoxicated, sober up, then get intoxicated again.

"oh crap, John just passed out. Shall we try to wake him up?"
"Naw, just play through."
"I say we have a hostile takeover."
"How much money does he have?"
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Tabletop game play times are something that takes a bit of getting used to... but in the end, it's actually part of the appeal. They're the nerd version of golf. Expensive as hell, but the main attraction is as much just getting together and shooting the breeze with your buddies as it is playing the actual game. You can also get stinko if you take that comparison the rest of the way and bring some booze along.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

note that miniatures games durations vary greatly depending on the number of figures to move, how well the players understand the rules (and thus how often they have to look things up or discuss how a rule works), the amount and usefulness of the terrain involved, the planning skill of the players, the tactics employed, and things like dumb luck.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
MIC
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by MIC »

Phaze I'll see you at GEN CON!
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

MIC wrote:Phaze I'll see you at GEN CON!

You bet you will... :-D Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
MIC
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by MIC »

Thanks Mike for the new videos. I'll watch them here in a bit.. painting like a mad man right now getting ready for GENCON!
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Hope they help

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”