Robotech RPG Tactics - The Sentinels

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Robotech RPG Tactics - The Sentinels

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Dan wrote:So, my question is whether anyone else would like to see Robotech RPG Tactics include the Regent's Inorganics, Praxian warhorses, up-tooled Zentraedi mecha, etc?

I'd pass on it myself... after the reboot, most of the Sentinels stuff is no longer part of the Robotech continuity anymore, including stuff like the custom Zentradi battle pods and Praxian warhorses.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Unread post by rtsurfer »

Personally, I would like to see some of the Sentinels mecha, whether it is considered part of the new continuity or not. I don't think I have mentioned Sentinels in my questions to Ninja Division & Palladium, not because I don't want that mecha but to focus on the three sagas/eras that made up the core series. Producing Macross Saga, Masters, & New Generation minis could actually be a beginning for a Sentinels game as parts of that saga utilize variants of the core tv series mecha. Shadow Chronicles also uses variants of New Generation mecha. Some of the core tv series mecha and variants could even be used for an Uprisings game, once all three core eras are available. I hope their "plans" to make all eras is fulfilled in the near future with the three core sagas and shortly after with Sentinels, unfortunately plans change so we may only get Macross anyway. I hope the Macross KS & game does well but I would like something more substantial than we plan to make Masters & New Generation, and some indication of what other eras & mecha such as Sentinels is also planned.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

I had completely forgotten about the Seninels. I hope they are able to get to it.
TagsPB
Explorer

Unread post by TagsPB »

Keep in mind......Palladium may not get a say in things like that......Harmony Gold can say that Sentinels is no longer cannon, and not to be done.....at which point, they don't get done.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the old form of the sentinels pretty much has been decanonized. with prelude to shadow chronicles and such, we know something involving similar characters and locations occured, just not what. there is an implication though that the UEEF fought the remains of the masters empire for a long period before facing the regent.. and it is confirmed that establishing earth colonies was a big part of the UEEF mandate early on.

hopefully some more info on it will be given out at some point, but personally i'm not expecting it to come through the minitures game. (and harmony gold has already said they are not interested in revisiting sentinels as a show.. so if we get anything, it'll be either officially through a comic, or unofficially through the RPG..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

We it is kind of still around. They had the Inorganics in the last book, so it is still possible to see them.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

they just decanonized the novels and the old show/movie/comics.

the UEEF still went to the master's empire, still met the Sentinels races, still fought the Regent... it just did so with events different than the old version. (different enough that the confrontation on Optera occured almost a decade later than in the old version.. as prelude shows)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

As much as I'd like to see the older Sentinels mecha used....and I use them myself (redone to my specifications of course) i doubt we will.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
RiverJack
Explorer

Unread post by RiverJack »

Dan wrote:Seriously? Did they really have to de-canonize the Sentinels, which was awesome, simply in order to justify the Shadow Chronicles, which was anything but. Hopefully at least the Inorganics and the GMU make it somehow. I don’t care if we call them “alternate continuity” or whatever. But the politics of the REF and the war they are thrust into against the Invid is by far my favourite part of Robotech.

What wrong with the story we had? Why exactly did we need to decanonize the Sentinels?

Here's the thing it's not de-canonized it is really secondary canon, I am going by the exact words they said about canon and the Sentinels. What that means is its canon but any part of it that is contradicted is non-canon but only those parts. Their are people that accidentally throw the baby out with the bath water over one inconstancy.

In the end though I follow Palladium's version of Robotech over HG so its primary canon to me and anyone else I know in person that was introduced to Robotech through Palladium and not the tv show.
Alpha 11
Palladin

RiverJack wrote:
Dan wrote:Seriously? Did they really have to de-canonize the Sentinels, which was awesome, simply in order to justify the Shadow Chronicles, which was anything but. Hopefully at least the Inorganics and the GMU make it somehow. I don’t care if we call them “alternate continuity” or whatever. But the politics of the REF and the war they are thrust into against the Invid is by far my favourite part of Robotech.

What wrong with the story we had? Why exactly did we need to decanonize the Sentinels?

Here's the thing it's not de-canonized it is really secondary canon, I am going by the exact words they said about canon and the Sentinels. What that means is its canon but any part of it that is contradicted is non-canon but only those parts. Their are people that accidentally throw the baby out with the bath water over one inconstancy.

In the end though I follow Palladium's version of Robotech over HG so its primary canon to me and anyone else I know in person that was introduced to Robotech through Palladium and not the tv show.

Ya, I pick and choose myself between all the material what I think is best and then blend them together. Like I still think of The Third Invid War when I think of Robotech, still including it in it.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Gryphon wrote:I am in the process of trying to fit in the various Destroids/Battloids as generations at the moment. So far I have:
UNDF (Macross era Destroids, ~2005-2015 or so, and on into 2045 in very, very limited numbers)
Transitional UNDF/UEDF era Destroids (The Strike Force Mecha, ~2013-2020 or so, and on into 2045 in limited numbers)
UEDF (Masters era Battloids, ~2015-2030, and on into 2045 in limited numbers)
Early UEEF (OSM Unused Mecha, ~2020-2035 or so, and on into 2040 or so in limited numbers)
Late UEEF (Sentinels "era" Destroids, ~2033-2045, though never really quite able to really make it in the Legios era)
And then a smattering of flying battloids and stuff that doesn't quite fit anywhere else really.

However, I fear that this is as close as we will ever see to for the Sentinels specific mecha such as their Destroids and the Battlepods. Which is a pity, as I was just the other day trying to picture a MAC II, a MAC III and a Mini-MAC all standing next to each other... *Le Sigh...*
:(

Gryphon, I'll tell you what...we can make it a non official realization. If anyone can retro engineer the rules and then do a "2nd edition" palladium stats version of the those mecha, then convert them to RTT...I'll do the paper counters so that you can at least put them on the battlefield even if it ISN'T official ;)

I'm already planning to figure out the conversion to RTT so i can apply it to Rifts....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Gryphon wrote:Shh...mustn't connect the words conversion and Robotech in the same post, the world will combust!!!

Well technically I am converting an already existing, even if out of print, prodyct :D

\m/
Alpha 11
Palladin

jaymz wrote:
Gryphon wrote:I am in the process of trying to fit in the various Destroids/Battloids as generations at the moment. So far I have:
UNDF (Macross era Destroids, ~2005-2015 or so, and on into 2045 in very, very limited numbers)
Transitional UNDF/UEDF era Destroids (The Strike Force Mecha, ~2013-2020 or so, and on into 2045 in limited numbers)
UEDF (Masters era Battloids, ~2015-2030, and on into 2045 in limited numbers)
Early UEEF (OSM Unused Mecha, ~2020-2035 or so, and on into 2040 or so in limited numbers)
Late UEEF (Sentinels "era" Destroids, ~2033-2045, though never really quite able to really make it in the Legios era)
And then a smattering of flying battloids and stuff that doesn't quite fit anywhere else really.

However, I fear that this is as close as we will ever see to for the Sentinels specific mecha such as their Destroids and the Battlepods. Which is a pity, as I was just the other day trying to picture a MAC II, a MAC III and a Mini-MAC all standing next to each other... *Le Sigh...*
:(

Gryphon, I'll tell you what...we can make it a non official realization. If anyone can retro engineer the rules and then do a "2nd edition" palladium stats version of the those mecha, then convert them to RTT...I'll do the paper counters so that you can at least put them on the battlefield even if it ISN'T official ;)

I'm already planning to figure out the conversion to RTT so i can apply it to Rifts....

I'm all for this! Bring them to the next OH. I will play with them or play against them.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Actually, we see in Prelude that the Inorganics are still in use. There is no reason to believe the 'REF Destroids' were not procured and used during the war to find Tirol. The entry on the Interceptor Bioroid states that the Zentraedi mecha were mostly destroyed during these long battles so there is no reason to think that they weren't using the micronized Battlepods seen in the simulator combat scene from the movie. The Sentinels mecha would simply be another group of mecha in a progression towards the unused MOSPEADA Armo-Soldiers (two of which are in Robotech canon: the Jackal which appears in The Invid Invasion and the Tiger that appears in Love & War).
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Actually, we see in Prelude that the Inorganics are still in use. There is no reason to believe the 'REF Destroids' were not procured and used during the war to find Tirol. [...]

'cept that all references to non-MOSPEADA designs have been edited out of the Sentinels-connected material, so it's at least rather unlikely that they exist in Harmony Gold's rebooted and very copyright-conscious Robotech universe.

All told, it's practically a given that the "REF Destroids" and other Macross-derived mecha from Sentinels won't be returning in the rebooted Robotech. They're too obviously derivative of Macross designs to be safely used, same as the Sentinels character (re)designs. Harmony Gold seems to be pretty keen to avoid doing anything that could end with them on the receiving end of a copyright infringement lawsuit. Seems like a safe bet that they're pilfering designs from MOSPEADA's mecha concept art to retcon out the legally problematic REF destroid and battlepod designs via the UEEF Marines sourcebooks. Tatsunoko has full ownership of the unused armo-soldiers from MOSPEADA, so they're a worry free alternative.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

What's awful is that the complaints about the lack of adequate point defense on the UEEF ships could be solved with having those destroids on the hull. Oh we'll.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

tobefrnk wrote:What's awful is that the complaints about the lack of adequate point defense on the UEEF ships could be solved with having those destroids on the hull. Oh we'll.

To be fair, it could also be solved by having the point-defense guns in question actually hit something for once. The reason there are complaints about their effectiveness is that they invariably miss Invid booster scouts flying straight and level at a range that could only be called point blank. :lol:

With that kind of accuracy, I don't think Destroids would help much...

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
tobefrnk wrote:What's awful is that the complaints about the lack of adequate point defense on the UEEF ships could be solved with having those destroids on the hull. Oh we'll.

To be fair, it could also be solved by having the point-defense guns in question actually hit something for once. The reason there are complaints about their effectiveness is that they invariably miss Invid booster scouts flying straight and level at a range that could only be called point blank. :lol:

Good god, THAT'S the Invid key to success! They've hacked the Fourth Wall protocols and REVERSED STORMTROOPER MARKSMANSHIP.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:

Most likely they were swarming the ship at the time and overwhelmed the defenses.

taalismn wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

Good god, THAT'S the Invid key to success! They've hacked the Fourth Wall protocols and REVERSED STORMTROOPER MARKSMANSHIP.

:lol: :lol:
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Plot chaff. It's highly effective. Didn't matter how many nifty keen additions they made to the ships, the plot required the Battle of Reflex Point to go badly.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
RiverJack
Explorer

Unread post by RiverJack »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Actually, we see in Prelude that the Inorganics are still in use. There is no reason to believe the 'REF Destroids' were not procured and used during the war to find Tirol. The entry on the Interceptor Bioroid states that the Zentraedi mecha were mostly destroyed during these long battles so there is no reason to think that they weren't using the micronized Battlepods seen in the simulator combat scene from the movie. The Sentinels mecha would simply be another group of mecha in a progression towards the unused MOSPEADA Armo-Soldiers (two of which are in Robotech canon: the Jackal which appears in The Invid Invasion and the Tiger that appears in Love & War).

Yeah I agree with you. What we saw in the panels where just glimpse of the over all battle, ergo they very well did participate in the Final parts of the war and maybe even the events of the Shadow Chronicles.

Style wise they are different enough compared to the mecha they are based on that legally I don't think HG could get in trouble for using them. If they could Wizkids and any group that makes material for Battle Tech would have gotten in trouble for the product known as "Operation Phoenix" which brought back all the forgotten mecha but with alternate details and with the newest equipment out of the BattleTech source books.

I think one reason we don't see Mecha sit on the out of the human ships and defend them is because they do not have a shadow version of any of the Destroids, if they where to use Mecha without shadow tech the invid would be drown to the human ships.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

taalismn wrote:Good god, THAT'S the Invid key to success! They've hacked the Fourth Wall protocols and REVERSED STORMTROOPER MARKSMANSHIP.

The Regess is a higher-dimension life form... maybe she has 4th wall awareness? :lol:

Alpha 11
Palladin

Seto Kaiba wrote:
taalismn wrote:Good god, THAT'S the Invid key to success! They've hacked the Fourth Wall protocols and REVERSED STORMTROOPER MARKSMANSHIP.

The Regess is a higher-dimension life form... maybe she has 4th wall awareness? :lol:

:lol:
Steve Carroll
D-Bee

Unread post by Steve Carroll »

Personally I would love to see everything get represented. I am not one of the Sentinels haters. I hope we do see these eventually. Perhaps it could be rolled into the Shadow Chronicles part to help expand that range since I don't believe there would be too many new models for that one.
One of the Creative Minds behind the Blocker Combat Robot!
Alpha 11
Palladin

Steve Carroll wrote:Personally I would love to see everything get represented. I am not one of the Sentinels haters. I hope we do see these eventually. Perhaps it could be rolled into the Shadow Chronicles part to help expand that range since I don't believe there would be too many new models for that one.

There are Sentinel haters. Never heard of them.
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

In the internet there are always haters ready to tell you why you shouldn't like the things you like. Sad but true.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Alpha 11 wrote:
Steve Carroll wrote:Personally I would love to see everything get represented. I am not one of the Sentinels haters. I hope we do see these eventually. Perhaps it could be rolled into the Shadow Chronicles part to help expand that range since I don't believe there would be too many new models for that one.

There are Sentinel haters. Never heard of them.

Back when I was a regular on Robotech.com, there were a pretty decent number of 'em. Less now that the site's ended up depopulated and fans are desperate for something new, tho.

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Eh I never minded the Sentinels destroids and pods. They seemed to fit as the next wave of ground unit and a logical stylistic change from the older Macross models.

\m/
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Given the appearance of the MAC III during the evacuation of the 15th Squadron in Robotech: Love, Live Alive it looks like The Sentinels Destroids and units may be back.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Given the appearance of the MAC III during the evacuation of the 15th Squadron in Robotech: Love, Live Alive it looks like The Sentinels Destroids and units may be back.

Considering they chose to bury 'em as deep in the background as they could, that might be unduly optimistic... esp. from a title with as many other continuity problems as RT:LLA.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”