A GM Binder

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

A GM Binder

Unread post by Juce734 »

EDIT: Meant to put this in the GM section of the forum.

So I bought materials to finally get around to putting my binder together.

I have a 4" 3 ring binder.
    Red pencil, pen, holder. It is made of a strong material and has 3 rings to fit nicely into the binder.
    A 3 hole punch that fits in the binder.
    Loose leaf paper
    Graph paper
    About 30 clear page protectors
    8 dividers (I have more dividers in an old school binder I can use for subcategories though.

This is what I think I will do with it. Only using 7 of the 8 sections possible.

Rules/FAQ

I will put common rules that come up here. FAQ about rules or the game in general. Also house rules will be in here. The final sub section will be tables and charts (Attribute Bonus, P.S. Lift, P.S. Carry, Spd., Insanity Table, S.D.C. of Items, Natural A.R., and Medical)

Campaign

This will be the current campaign. It will contain the proper NPC's for it and maps for it. I will be getting folders for each character so I can keep their weekly notes together and there character sheets as well.

NPC's

In this section I will have all of my fully fleshed out NPC's. When one is being used in a campaign or for an adventure I will copy it to the appropriate section.

Adventures

This section will have 1 off adventures, random encounter tables, and name tables for restaurants, bars, hotels, gas stations, cities, and anything else I can think of.

Hand Outs

Character sheets, and anything else I plan on handing out such as questions.

Maps & Pictures for Reference

I will draw random maps of buildings, cities, cemetaries, parks, and other things. I will also keep photos of random pictures of people, super heroes, and other people/creatures to pull out mid game for reference.

Ideas

This will be for anything I am working on whether it be an NPC, Adventure, Campaign, Super Powers, Weapons, Tables, and other things.

My question is I am not completely sure how I want to split my binder up. Also what order of things I want them in.

Also if you have one how do you split yours up and what is in yours?
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
dragonfett
Knight

Re: A GM Binder

Unread post by dragonfett »

Sounds so awesome that I am thinking of stealing your idea (somewhat). I already have a folder that holds a printed portion of the GM section from the RMB (loved the random monster generators out of it), a 2" binder with copy of the full skill list from the R:UE, and some other things that I am now considering moving to my GM folder, and a 3" binder with printed copies of equipment I want my players to know is available, like the stuff that was in the RMB that didn't make it to the R:UE (I have not been able to afford the Revised Sourcebook 1, yet!), and some stuff from Mercenaries (the NG, WI, GAW, Naruni, and CS stuff). I also have some loose leaf in the 2".
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

dragonfett wrote:Sounds so awesome that I am thinking of stealing your idea (somewhat). I already have a folder that holds a printed portion of the GM section from the RMB (loved the random monster generators out of it), a 2" binder with copy of the full skill list from the R:UE, and some other things that I am now considering moving to my GM folder, and a 3" binder with printed copies of equipment I want my players to know is available, like the stuff that was in the RMB that didn't make it to the R:UE (I have not been able to afford the Revised Sourcebook 1, yet!), and some stuff from Mercenaries (the NG, WI, GAW, Naruni, and CS stuff). I also have some loose leaf in the 2".

Go ahead and take the idea.

How else do you GMs stay organized?
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

I keep several binders (not just one) and materials on-hand (not all of them travel with me to gaming sessions that are not @ home):
    Pencils and pencil holder.
    A 3-hole punch (mine also fits in a binder).
Record Keeping Binder
1 1” 3-ring binder w/game session notes, an on-going journal (updated after each session by one of the players), “homework” assigned to players, and a campaign synopsis.

Game World Binder
1 3” 3-ring binder w/a historical timeline, rumors and gossip, campaign news, the world pantheon (if any), maps, stats for cities, and prices for goods and services.

Future Ideas Binder
1 3” 3-ring binder w/(obviously) treasure ideas, encounter ideas, plot hooks, new spells, items, classes and story ideas yet to be fleshed out for use in the current or future games.

Game Assistant Binder
1 1” 3-ring binder w/the current campaign plot and adventures, photocopied and self-created tables and charts, house rules, various combat rules, PC information (plot hooks, goals, secrets, and combat stats), and errata.

Monsters/NPCs Binder
1 4.5” 3-ring binder w/stats and pictures for monsters and NPCs, and random encounter tables.

Powers Reference Binder
1 1” 3-ring binder w/rules governing magic, psionics, super-powers, etc., specific spell, psi power, and super-power descriptions, and places of power effects.

Blank Forms Folder
1 Report folder w/unused character sheets, combat planners, loose-leaf paper, and graph paper.

Old Files File Drawers
2 drawer file cabinet filled with old files and stored in sections marked for the same binders in which they would be used.

Mind you, I have been playing for 27 years (I’m 39 now) and GMing for 23, so I have changed this organization multiple times during all that time. I had a GM way back in Middle School (he was a friend’s father) who used the binder system. With multiple binders I can take or leave binders as the game night requires.

I am currently in the process of putting all of my binders into a forum or wiki to act in the same manner as the physical binders.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

Beatmeclever wrote:I keep several binders (not just one) and materials on-hand (not all of them travel with me to gaming sessions that are not @ home):
    Pencils and pencil holder.
    A 3-hole punch (mine also fits in a binder).
Record Keeping Binder
1 1” 3-ring binder w/game session notes, an on-going journal (updated after each session by one of the players), “homework” assigned to players, and a campaign synopsis.

Game World Binder
1 3” 3-ring binder w/a historical timeline, rumors and gossip, campaign news, the world pantheon (if any), maps, stats for cities, and prices for goods and services.

Future Ideas Binder
1 3” 3-ring binder w/(obviously) treasure ideas, encounter ideas, plot hooks, new spells, items, classes and story ideas yet to be fleshed out for use in the current or future games.

Game Assistant Binder
1 1” 3-ring binder w/the current campaign plot and adventures, photocopied and self-created tables and charts, house rules, various combat rules, PC information (plot hooks, goals, secrets, and combat stats), and errata.

Monsters/NPCs Binder
1 4.5” 3-ring binder w/stats and pictures for monsters and NPCs, and random encounter tables.

Powers Reference Binder
1 1” 3-ring binder w/rules governing magic, psionics, super-powers, etc., specific spell, psi power, and super-power descriptions, and places of power effects.

Blank Forms Folder
1 Report folder w/unused character sheets, combat planners, loose-leaf paper, and graph paper.

Old Files File Drawers
2 drawer file cabinet filled with old files and stored in sections marked for the same binders in which they would be used.

Mind you, I have been playing for 27 years (I’m 39 now) and GMing for 23, so I have changed this organization multiple times during all that time. I had a GM way back in Middle School (he was a friend’s father) who used the binder system. With multiple binders I can take or leave binders as the game night requires.

I am currently in the process of putting all of my binders into a forum or wiki to act in the same manner as the physical binders.

That sounds really helpful actually. My girlfriend would never let me have that much paper and such. She is on me about have 11 total pads of paper on my computer desk.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

I've been putting everything into excel and publisher and making website like pages with links to all my stuff on my laptop. Hyperlinks are awesome.
I do most of my notes on paper and put the final version into my laptop. I also have a scanner that converts almost anything into a word text.
Drive thru RPG is a great way to not have to carry around a lot of books.
kmspade
Explorer

Unread post by kmspade »

I have everything on my laptop, and backed up to my skydrive. So with or without internet access, I have all the stuff I need to run my game. GM notes, NPC's and such are word docs. I have a spreadsheet to handle the combat stuff. And I use google earth photoshop and some other mapping programs to make maps and such. One of the guys in our group has a projector, so I can put the maps up on the screen. And...my laptop serves as a fairly handy GM screen.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

I have been hearing that laptops are being used more often for gaming lately. Do you just type your notes and keep track of things in notepad then? Or do you still write things down on paper at all?
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Juce734 wrote:I have been hearing that laptops are being used more often for gaming lately. Do you just type your notes and keep track of things in notepad then? Or do you still write things down on paper at all?

I use a combination of both. During the game, notes are usually made in a notebook, mostly due to the fact I'm not the fastest at typing. But even if I typed faster, I would still use both so I could have some of the game material hard copied on something that can't just up die on me.
kmspade
Explorer

Unread post by kmspade »

The days of the pen and paper RPG are dead, or at least for me they are. I had quit gaming for a while, and then got back into it a couple of years ago. I went to the laptop when I discovered that in my absence from gaming, I can actually type faster than I write, and it's much easier to read. For that reason alone I have everything on my laptop. Everything. GM notes, character sheets, ect all go in MS Word. Combat logs are in Excel spreadsheets, ect. Maps are done in Photoshop. And I've created an access database that has all the spells and all the skills in it for easy reference. I keep multiple backups on multiple computers and online as well, so I don't loose anything.

The only thing I actually have hard copies of is the books.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I use my laptop for all notes and pictures or maps Ive prepared (and the name generators) but have a pad I use for experience, combat sequence/attacks or maps. Ive the books on PDF too (though I take two or three books) but I only need one laptop bag if we play at someones elses house.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

When gaming then do you just open up all of the folders so you can read them quickly?

How do you organize the folders?

I am assuming you have 1 main folder titled RPG, or Gaming. Then have a lot of sub folders? Then sub folders in those?
kmspade
Explorer

Unread post by kmspade »

Yeah, pretty much. I have one folder called "rpg stuff" and sub-folders under that. I run two games, and play in several others. So I have one folder for each game that I'm involved in. In the games I play in, there isn't much more than a character sheet in the folder, but for the games I run, I have an NPC folder, an adventure notes folder, a maps folder, and a pictures folder, stuff like that.

When I'm gaming, I typically only have the notes and maps open at once, and as the PC's encounter things, I open the appropriate NPC, monster, or whatever. I've found that pausing for a second to open up a word doc isn't any slower than flipping through the book or notes to find the appropriate reference like we used to do in the old days.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

kmspade wrote:Yeah, pretty much. I have one folder called "rpg stuff" and sub-folders under that. I run two games, and play in several others. So I have one folder for each game that I'm involved in. In the games I play in, there isn't much more than a character sheet in the folder, but for the games I run, I have an NPC folder, an adventure notes folder, a maps folder, and a pictures folder, stuff like that.

When I'm gaming, I typically only have the notes and maps open at once, and as the PC's encounter things, I open the appropriate NPC, monster, or whatever. I've found that pausing for a second to open up a word doc isn't any slower than flipping through the book or notes to find the appropriate reference like we used to do in the old days.

I am strongly considering incorporating a laptop into my GMing. Maybe I can convince my gf to buy me a nice lap top for XMas.
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

Juce734 wrote:
kmspade wrote:Yeah, pretty much. I have one folder called "rpg stuff" and sub-folders under that. I run two games, and play in several others. So I have one folder for each game that I'm involved in. In the games I play in, there isn't much more than a character sheet in the folder, but for the games I run, I have an NPC folder, an adventure notes folder, a maps folder, and a pictures folder, stuff like that.

I am strongly considering incorporating a laptop into my GMing. Maybe I can convince my gf to buy me a nice lap top for XMas.

This is actually a perfect situation for a tablet PC like the iPad or any one of its knock-offs. I have slowly been porting all of my gaming information over to my Asus eeePad Transformer which works perfectly for this situation. I can use it with the keyboard if need be, or a stylus (which I got for the amazing price of $5) for quick handwritten notes to be added to every game session..
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Malakai
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Malakai »

I use my laptop for most things - I have an excel workbook that has various sheets with imoprtant information and FORMULAS already in there, so all I have to do is change a number or select from a pull-down menu. At a moment I can get the bonuses for any character based off of attributes, H2H at any level, damage for a thrown object of X weight, how long it will take to heal X amount of damage under professional or non-professional care, WP bonuses, etc. I find this has been an invaluable tool for making NPCs on the fly (as my players are wont to surprise me with their "detours". I also keep a list of important people they've met, including names, occupations, and other information that I can easily sort through Excel. One of these days I plan on turning it into an actual database that I can then use my flash skills to make more use of, but as of now, that's what I got. I also like Google Earth for maps/location, and have made up many a dossier using pics from the web to spruce it up a bit. those I usually print out to hand to the players.
"Rifts Earth is alot more scary when you realize that its effectively people with the education level of retarded children running around with military grade ordinance." - Taylor White

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood.

H. L. Mencken
US editor (1880 - 1956)
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Except for things that I want to keep to myself, like monster and equipment profiles for antagonists, I keep everything on the RPG.net wiki; see signature. It's really handy in that players can follow along with my notes, refer to houserules I'm using, and look at the pregenerated characters whenever they want. Everything else goes in a folder and I tend to keep back up copies on my hard drive.
Cyrano de Maniac
D-Bee

Unread post by Cyrano de Maniac »

This might be more of a player thing, but in addition to the clear page protectors, include a fine-tipped dry-erase marker. Slip character sheets or other sheets useful for keeping track of action into the clear page protectors, and mark off hit points/ammo/combat turns/etc with the dry erase marker. Beats the heck out of piles of scratch paper or burning holes in your character sheets with an eraser.

Brent
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Cyrano de Maniac wrote:This might be more of a player thing, but in addition to the clear page protectors, include a fine-tipped dry-erase marker. Slip character sheets or other sheets useful for keeping track of action into the clear page protectors, and mark off hit points/ammo/combat turns/etc with the dry erase marker. Beats the heck out of piles of scratch paper or burning holes in your character sheets with an eraser.

Brent

That is a rather grand idea. I like it.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Great idea....very helpful indeed
The Dragon Has Spoken
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

I am thinking about making a video showing my GM binder. However I am considering reorganizing my binder due to building a GM screen. The GM screen will have the basic rules and charts on it so I won't need that in my GM binder. Would you guys want to see a video of how I try to be organized?
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Juce734 wrote:I am thinking about making a video showing my GM binder. However I am considering reorganizing my binder due to building a GM screen. The GM screen will have the basic rules and charts on it so I won't need that in my GM binder. Would you guys want to see a video of how I try to be organized?

Go for it. I'm a total nerd for organizing data and would like to see somebody else at it for once. lol
escargotini
D-Bee
Comment: Flip it TURN-WAYS

Unread post by escargotini »

I was considering this idea, but I haven't implemented it yet. Let me know what you guys think.

If you don't want your shops to all carry the same products...
Get those clear binder pages for holding baseball cards 3x3. Make a little card for each weapon or armor that details the stats and maybe has a picture. Separate pages by manufacturer. When the PCs walk into, say a Naruni shop, hand them those pages. If there's a massive shortage of laser rifles, give them pages with the laser rifles taken out, etc. Obviously this is going to be a lot of work at first, but I think it will result in the PCs wasting less time digging through books, as well as giving the GM some control over what they're buying.
The thread killer
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

escargotini wrote:I was considering this idea, but I haven't implemented it yet. Let me know what you guys think.

Get those clear binder pages for holding baseball cards 3x3. Make a little card for each weapon or armor that details the stats and maybe has a picture. Separate pages by manufacturer. When the PCs walk into, say a Naruni shop, hand them those pages. If there's a massive shortage of laser rifles, give them pages with the laser rifles taken out, etc. Obviously this is going to be a lot of work at first, but I think it will result in the PCs wasting less time digging through books, as well as giving the GM some control over what they're buying.

Dude! That's awesome!!!!
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

Over on RPGnet someone recommended OneNote for the computer. I youtubed it and it looks fantastic. It may be the thing that gets me away from actual paper for the most part. It could be what gets me wanting to use PDFs of books.
Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

One thing I made a loooong time ago was an attribute listing of the various exceptionals, as well as Speed breakdowns.

So 16-30 is listed; PS up to 55 I think; and Speed is mph & per melee.

Also the formula for leaping, and Carry/Throw/Lift. Running & (I think) swimming durations as well.

That's kept in the front of my "current" binder, with the currently-used PCs or NPCs, and campaign notes.

I know I also have some alternate Psychosis tables (sexual deviant from PF 1st ed), money conversion rates, etc.

And most or all of the RIFTS Earth maps from RMB, NW, and FoM.

NPCs & PCs of the past are kept in their own 3" binder. As I've been playing for +20 years, there's quite a few characters in there.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

escargotini wrote:I was considering this idea, but I haven't implemented it yet. Let me know what you guys think.

Like you said, labor-intensive up front, but WOW do I love this idea for the long-term.

Sure beats the RMB copy of the equipment section I made for noobs. Even experienced players (& overwhelmed GMs) can forget about the plethora of goodies to be had.
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Juce734 wrote:Over on RPGnet someone recommended OneNote for the computer. I youtubed it and it looks fantastic. It may be the thing that gets me away from actual paper for the most part. It could be what gets me wanting to use PDFs of books.

OneNote rocks! The fact that it doesn't lag out like word or excel is a huge plus when it comes to using visual aides. And now I have found OneNote for my iPhone, killer, I can write ideas anytime and anywhere.
The wife now uses it for work related projects and we use it for other various writing projects. If you're not using OneNote you should be. Excel still does some things better, but OneNote is simple and easier to use.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I use the computer for most of my files. I do keep a GM notebook as well. In the book, I keep world information, campaign ideas, the final print-out of the adventures/campaign, maps, NPC's, house rules and internet content. My Rifts section for internet content got to be so much that I transferred it to two separate notebooks. I find the use of a composition notebook the best for taking notes during a game (both as a GM and as a player). Recently, I have been keeping the notes on the computer as they are faster to type out as opposed to writing them out.

As for the way I have my files separated in Word:
1 file folder containing Coalition places of interest (currently containing 2 files: 1 forward base, 1 prison camp; both of which have all necessary data and story information to run in that area)
1 file folder containing Independant locations of interest (contains information on 8 cities not covered in canon, or even mention; complete story info and NPC's for all cities)
1 file folder containing Missions (contains 8 mission type folders: anti-Coalition, bounties, espionage, mercenary, monster hunting, Pre-Rifts digs, protection detail, and objective missions; most of these folder have 4-10 files containing one mission each)
1 file folder containing Vehicles (contains six files; one file is the vehicles made by a company that I created myself for the game, one file is a pre-Rifts vehicle of my own design, and the others are modifications the players have made to existing vehicles)
1 file folder containing Weapons (contains 4 files, one file is a modified suit of environmental armor for Dog Boys based on NGR armor, the other three files contain two different arms companies and one set of Pre-Rifts weapons)
1 file containing game session notes (each entry dated with a few hyperlinks to certain other files)
1 file containing enemy statistic blocks (soon to be split into separate file under its own folder)
1 file containing campaign overall story arc (This is more a layout for myself than as a guide for the game, this helps me keep track of multiple motives of NPC's, track time frames for happenings that I have in the pre-built to take place at certain times, special items such as custom magic items or experimental tech and how background histories will come into play to interest the players in a story arc

Later, I will be adding a file folder to containing the separate stat blocks as well as files on important NPC contacts and rivals.

All of this is contained in one overall file titled Rifts. The overall folder is accessable from a shortcut on the Desktop.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Oh gods...
Yeah; the Binder of DOOOM is a pretty common item for GM's universally.
I have 4.
PLUS multiple folders and subfolders and files on my computers HD.
:)
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Juce734 wrote:Also if you have one how do you split yours up and what is in yours?

I had 3 of them. In one I kept "The Great Net Equipment List" and Palladium's weapon damage charts, along with a list of magical items that we use in our games and the prices there of. Travel time in various terrain, even had stats for carts, wagons, etc. Um, it was mostly for the players, but it worked for me as well. (that's the one that got lost.)

The next one has a quick roll up chart for all of the races, animals, demons, undead, etc. What powers, skills, and the like they have. OCCs' skills and powers and notes. Skills listed with percentage brake down per levels. A slew of per generated NPCs and villians, including notes about motivations and ambitions, campaign ideas, etc.

The last one has the information on the actual game worlds, maps, dungeons, information on gods of the worlds, encounters charts, maps; general info; and gossip of the cities; towns; and villages, note for the cities; towns; and villages (including education level, economical notes, the over all attitudes towards each classes of mage and psychic; adventurers; the nobility; priests of other religions; etc, things that the people want and need the most, etc), maps of the sewers of the cities, some game notes, etc.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
escargotini
D-Bee
Comment: Flip it TURN-WAYS

Unread post by escargotini »

Myrrhibis wrote:Like you said, labor-intensive up front, but WOW do I love this idea for the long-term.

Sure beats the RMB copy of the equipment section I made for noobs. Even experienced players (& overwhelmed GMs) can forget about the plethora of goodies to be had.

I found some 3x2.5" index cards that work perfectly. Here's the setup:

Top right corner: vendor/manufacturer abbreviation (CS, NG, Tx, etc) At some point I plan to use a color dot in addition or instead of this

Bottom right corner: availability, if given. I may color code this as well

Everything else down the left side:
Name/Nickname
Weight
Damage
Range
Payload

appropriate W.P. (most of my players are new to Rifts)
Cost
any notes, such as bonus to strike, special ammo, unusual rates of fire, or special loading times

Armor is basically the same, but with MDC by location, movement penalties, and bonuses, and a note if it's non-environmental

So far I've done equipment from RUE, SB1, some New West, and a little from Merc Ops. The players are starting in 101 PA so I don't need anything else just yet. I haven't done any robots or power armor either so I'm willing to take suggestions on how to condense all that info.

I have a page for equipment, a page for armor, and the weapons are separated by vendor. The whole thing took about 3 hours and maybe $8.
The thread killer
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

Back around 9/11 I started compiling my game stuff into a web page format using FrontPage. I formatted and typed everything, including character creation rules, combat rules, the most up to date versions of the HTH Combat skills, stuff like that. I even had separate entries for the various OCC's. But then I stopped playing due to a cross country move and not finding gamers where I lived. Recently, I started up again and I have made some changes to my little "web", like replacing the skills list and descriptions to the RUE version, and adding links to the specific setting skills of Robotech, and a couple other settings. It has come in handy in the past and I expect it to only get even more useful as I integrate copies of character sheets, session notes, and other things. Right now I have some material I need just scanned in as specific pages I need, but I will be converting those over to a more visually appealing format as I get time.

As I pick up replacement copies of books I had to sell off over the years, I will add more to it, in setting specific sections, to keep things pure, while continuing to modify my variations of the rules I am already using.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

TiekoSora wrote:Back around 9/11 I started compiling my game stuff into a web page format using FrontPage. I formatted and typed everything, including character creation rules, combat rules, the most up to date versions of the HTH Combat skills, stuff like that. I even had separate entries for the various OCC's. But then I stopped playing due to a cross country move and not finding gamers where I lived. Recently, I started up again and I have made some changes to my little "web", like replacing the skills list and descriptions to the RUE version, and adding links to the specific setting skills of Robotech, and a couple other settings. It has come in handy in the past and I expect it to only get even more useful as I integrate copies of character sheets, session notes, and other things. Right now I have some material I need just scanned in as specific pages I need, but I will be converting those over to a more visually appealing format as I get time.

As I pick up replacement copies of books I had to sell off over the years, I will add more to it, in setting specific sections, to keep things pure, while continuing to modify my variations of the rules I am already using.

As for rules I usually just write/type them when they come into question during play. It would be nice if I did have all the rules in one streamlined book, or word document though. I would laminate it and use it at cons and such. Would make things really easy that's for sure.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

CoalitionMerc wrote:I am a Laptop/Paper GM i use my laptop to keep track of exp (using a excel sheet (over 40 different reasons to give your characters exp) Character information(held snugly in the character information folder in my documents) some custom creatures for one of my campaigns. then i also use the internet connection to use my Evernote account for world info villain info and a collection of characters. then after the session i update my Obsidian portal account with information about the world, and when my players comment with an adventure log i add it to the wiki there.
also if i need to roll some insane amount of dice i use polydice to do the roll for me

i use sticky pads to keep track of initiative, a Composite notebook for the campaign i am running (one composite notebook per campaign) which includes encounter tables, primary npcs main villains and shopkeepers, missions from said shopkeepers/NPCs.

Sounds like a little all over the place for me.

Lately I have been using my Obsidian Portal page for almost everything even my notes in the GM only section.

I print out the players characters though so I have a hard copy in my hands when playing.

What is your Obsidian Portal page link? I'd like to check it out.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I have one on my laptop, a folder with all my PDF of my books for easy reference in games. Sub folder for my games i run. I like the idea of a fold in the printed form though.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

So I am going back to using a binder I think. I can type up my notes and just print them for the binder but I just don't like the idea of having to find stuff online or on my computer. It just seems easier to flip thru the pages when they are organized well. I don't need to boot up my computer to jot some notes down either. So the GM binder will be the go to for me again I think.

Obsidian Portal is great I think it is better if all the players want to use it too though. In that case it can be more than a GM tool but an overall game tool.

OneNote is also great. This I could see myself using more. Just need to get the new Office 2010. I have OneNote on my work computer and it is helpful for my work notes.
Icefalcon
Champion

Juce734 wrote:So I am going back to using a binder I think. I can type up my notes and just print them for the binder but I just don't like the idea of having to find stuff online or on my computer. It just seems easier to flip thru the pages when they are organized well. I don't need to boot up my computer to jot some notes down either. So the GM binder will be the go to for me again I think.

Obsidian Portal is great I think it is better if all the players want to use it too though. In that case it can be more than a GM tool but an overall game tool.

OneNote is also great. This I could see myself using more. Just need to get the new Office 2010. I have OneNote on my work computer and it is helpful for my work notes.

One of the best parts of using the binder is that you can look at several things at once (NPC's, Story, Enemies, Vehicles, Home made weapons and equipment, etc.) and not have to have twenty or more files open on the computer constantly.

That being said, I like to use the combo of the two.
Icefalcon
Champion

As far as taking notes for a game, if I am away from my computer I use a spiral notebook. I find it much easier to write the notes out in a shorthand and then later expand on them when I type them up.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I use multiple binders but have also want to eventually make files on my laptop for information. There is no way I can put everything I use onto my laptop, but it would help to be able to make temporary folders of stuff I copy from the Black Vault Wiki, such as powers, which I intend to use for a given session or campaign. As far as session notes, though, I prefer to take those by hand in a spiral notebook and usually do so from memory after the session is over. I rarely need to take notes during a session.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

I posted a video on my youtube of my new organization. Inspired by John Fourr and his 5 Buckets of Sanity for the MyInfo program.

Check it out. The link to my channel is in my signature.
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ArmySGT. »

Laptop completely.

Have laptop can travel. I use One Note to organize a campaign or to store everything about a character I am playing.

I use Excel to make Character sheets. I use Excel for equipment lists, random item tables, etc.

I use MS Excel as my NPC library. I can build up NPCs stat them out, add a picture, etc.

Then I have game books in .pdf format with indexes to pages whenever I can. I am not stuck at home, I can game just as effectively at my house, a friends house, or a convention. The indexes make finding something a snap, just select the link.

Word for campaign write ups, props like (mysterious note), and handouts like historical events (page 343 of the history of elvish dinner parties in sylvania), campaign briefs (so I don't have to keep repeating myself) etc.

Photoshop to alter real world pictures into game props.

Yeah. Laptop all the way.
Icefalcon
Champion

I liked the video. I always appreciate seeing how another GM organizes his game. When all I used were notebooks, I organized a little differently but not much.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

Icefalcon wrote:I liked the video. I always appreciate seeing how another GM organizes his game. When all I used were notebooks, I organized a little differently but not much.

I am the same way I like to see what tools, and other things GMs use including how they organize binders, outlines, or notes. Plus I am always looking for tables and charts to add to my binder so if anyone has any they would like to share please do. I would appreciate it.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

1) Setting
2) Rules (powers skills etc)
3) Campaign (what happened last time, what is going to happen this time, what will happen in the future, character notes, etc)
4) NPCs
5) Gear
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

a dry erase plexiglass panel over large 1x1 graph paper is a handy tool.

My friend recently made an entire wall dry erase so it is pretty nice.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Icefalcon
Champion

I have a large dry erase board on the wall for drawing maps and such on and then another smaller one near my desk to track initiative with.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

OK, I admit I skimmed instead of fully reading, but what I DIDN'T see was the "short term NPC" section..

This is a bunch of non-fully fleshed NPCs that have basically a race, class, gear, and combat stats (had to work them enough to figure out WP bonuses)

For example (using a PF layout. I don't know if the bonuses and stuff are right, I'm just grabbing random numbers!)

Human Merc (town guard) L1
PS 12 PE 12 PP 10 IQ 10 ME 9 MA 8 SPD 11 Leather Armor, short Sword
+3 S/P +2 Dodge +2 pull punch/roll with +1 all saves
Ar: 12 Damage: 1d6+1 SDC 14 HP 5

Personally, I copy the same one about 3-4 times, sometimes more. If it's one that I will use in groups big groups, I might fill a full page with the same one (such as a group of bandits)
You can fit about a dozen or so on a page, leaving some space between them, depending on the font you use.

If you use the heavy duty smooth document protectors, it's great for combat encounters, because the dry erase markers can keep track of HP on the page, then wipe right off for a reset.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Icefalcon
Champion

I don't do the abbreviated stat blocks anymore. There are too many things that come up during the game to not have a full stat block for. For example, your combat stats don't account for an enemy's prowl skill or if he can hack the computer in the PC's vehicle while they are not looking. Not to mention, especially in a Palladium game, skills can modify stats, bonuses to strike/parry/dodge/roll, PPE, ISP and all kinds of other things. I find it much easier to do the full stat block rather than try figuring it out on scratch paper just so I can make a condensed stat block that may be missing something important. Here is an example of one of mine.

Juicer Assassin: Alignment: Diabolic, Attributes: IQ 12/ME 13/MA 18/PS 33/PP 26/PE 28/PB 18/Speed 84; Hit Points: 96; S.D.C.: 532; M.D.C.: Man-Killer EBA with 110 MDC; P.P.E.: 11; O.C.C.: Juicer Assassin (level 5); Combat Abilities: Hand to Hand: Assassin, Boxing, Wrestling, Auto-Dodge (5th level); Attacks/Actions per round: 8; Bonuses: +4 initiative, +8 strike, +8 parry, +8 dodge, +5 roll with punch, 50% trust/intimidate, +22 to S.D.C. damage, +26% coma/death, +15 vs. poison, +7 vs. spell magic, +4 vs. psionics, +8 vs. mind control; Skills of note: Speak American 98%, Speak Spanish 85%, Radio: Basic 80%, Detect Ambush 65%, Detect Concealment 60%, Streetwise 50%, Demolitions 85%, Prowl 65%, Climbing 75%/65%, Pick Locks 65%, Literacy/American 65%, Computer Operation 75%, Basic Electronics 55 %, Surveillance Systems 65%, Trap Construction 45%, Gambling 55%, Find Contraband 38%, Sniper, Boxing, Wrestling, W.P. Energy Pistol (+1 strike), W.P. Energy Rifle (+1 strike), Sharpshooting: Energy Rifle, W.P. Knife (+1 throw, +1 strike +2 parry), WP Sword (+2 strike, +2 parry), Running, General Athletics, Swimming 75%, Cook 60%; Gear: passive nightvision goggles, binoculars, Ray Ban sunglasses (pre-rifts non-break MDC variety), flashlight, zippo style lighter, pack of cigarettes, comb, pocket mirror, 100ft lightweight rope, portable tool kit, 4 wood stakes, silver cross, laser scalpel, 2 pair handcuffs, small trench shovel, bedroll, backpack, saddlebags, 2 large sacks, utility belt, air filter, canteen, IRMSS; Weapons: Vibro-knife (1d6 MDC), NG-45LPx2 (1200ft, 5d6 MDC, 8 shots, 8 clips), Juicer Chainsaw (5d6 MDC, 1 hour operation) JA-12 Laser Rifle (4d6 MDC or 1d6x10+10 3-shot burst/ 4d6 10ft radius, 4000ft, 30clip/30 canister/4 grenade, +1 hit, 6 clips/1 canister/40 grenades), Forearm Vibro-blades/triple x2 (3d6 MD), 6 EMP grenades
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Yeah, but honestly, for your typical mook fight, you can ballpark it. Or, you can do it fully once, and condense it for the others (if using multiple of the same one, like I mentioned). It's a useful tool for combats.

Nowdays, I'm mostly digital with my stuff, so it's not as problematic for me (I just use a different cell for each ones HPs).

But, when using a binder, it was handy for me when trying to run a battle. I could have 7+ NPCs on a page (a lot more in some cases) and didn't need to keep flipping around. I could note which was fighting who, and track HPs on the doc protector.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Return to “G.M.s Forum”