Robotech suggestions.

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Robroy
Explorer

Unread post by Robroy »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Thanks for the info Apollo.

*Thinks on it a bit and wonders how many people will hold off buying in hopes of that "regular sized edition"*

I know I would, as much as it pains me. I just don't want the gimmick book.

ditto
"Where ever you go, there you are"-Buckaroo Banzai

"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I would like to add something like Mecha combat for regular vehicles. This would be used in non-robot form for mecha, and could provide bonuses for non-mecha pilots.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Well, I'm not entirely keen on the 'anime size' RPG. I'll probably lose the bloody thing. But if Apollo says that's already finalised, then I can live with that, although I may feel the need to gripe about it on occasion.

Art: Art is an enormous impetus to the sales of any RPG. Get good work, get big sales. Sometimes people just like the pretty pictures. As a result, I think that Apollo is a good choice for an artist, as is Wayne Breaux (who, if you recall, is a pretty big robotech fan, and wrote stuff in ROTM). Heck, Big Kev isn't such a bad hand with a pencil either, although I'd say he's got a bit more on his plate than just illustrating a book. Wilson is excellent as an artist, although maybe not for Robotech so much (but for the 'people pictures' absolutely). The chap that did a lot of the 'action shots' in NWO (forgot your name, sorry!) was extremely good, and did pictures that didn't just look posed. The only thing I don't want is for the artwork to look like it's been melted and then viewed through a lava lamp, like some other palladium artist/s tend to churn out. If you use Simon again for the Southern Cross book (or, indeeed, any book), I'm pretty sure RSCF will come in and shoot you. And I'm next in line after him with the gun.

Cut and Paste: The Famous Palladium Cut'N'Paste has got to go. 'Famous' is probably the wrong word. 'Notorious' is probably better. If you feel the need to write (or rewrite) a book, then please rewrite it. Don't just plagarise your own stuff and then resell it under a different banner. That's not nice to your customers, your fans, or (in the end) your bottom line.

Story: I, for one, love what Palladium did with Robotech. They fleshed it out. They made it really live and breathe. Most of my adventures take place in the time of the Zentraedi malcontent, or post Invid invasion (or second invasion). I like the extra 'zest' that has been given to the game by the addition of other new countries, such as the Arkansas Protectorate, Manaus, Greater Zimbabwae, the EBSIS, the Merchant Republic.... the list goes on. Please, don't let this die, as this is not only taking Robotech for what it is, you are adding to its continuity whilst maintaining canon with the TV series, something that is rather difficult but I think you pulled it off well.

PS: If you're stuck on stuff for the EBSIS, I'm sure that Jeffar or myself would be more than happy to lend a hand.

Gameplay: I have to say that I'm the opposite of those who call for 'more rules for this, that, or the other'. I prefer combat and gameplay to be quick and simple, without much in the way of rules-lawyering. The old PB system was good, it just got too big and too clunky. MDC is an interesting thing, and so long as only mecha and military equipment are made out of it, it DOES work. It makes the little weapons and armour that are available to most people as insignificant as they truly should be against something like a Bioroid or Veritech. Don't MDC everything like Rifts, where we can find 'MDC cowboy hat: 5 MDC'. I found that a bit ludicrous and had difficulty suspending my disbelief.

So: Make it quick, keep it simple, make it fun and easy to play, make military military, and civilian civilian. Make SURE that there is sufficient balance.

Protoculture: I love the man-machine melding. While others may state that this occurs in Rifts, it can be seen that this is not the case. Nowhere else is the quasi-mystical power of the flower of life imbued into machinery, forming a bio-symbiosis with its pilot. As was said on this thread before (and I've said for some years now), if a pilot has his usual mount for some time, then some bonuses should be added as the mecha becomes more 'used to' the controlling mind, and the human/zent/whatever becomes more 'used to' the mecha. I love protoculture, I just don't use it because of all those pesky Invid hunting me down (ergo: that's when I first started playing an EBSIS character). Protoculture-powered mecha should have bonuses that outstrip any other mecha out there. Fusion mecha, depending on who makes it, should be anywhere from cruddy (say, Merchant Republic) to excellent (EBSIS), but none should eclipse the power of that alien weed.

That's about all, really.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
AuroraKet
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by AuroraKet »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:Protoculture: I love the man-machine melding. While others may state that this occurs in Rifts, it can be seen that this is not the case. Nowhere else is the quasi-mystical power of the flower of life imbued into machinery, forming a bio-symbiosis with its pilot. As was said on this thread before (and I've said for some years now), if a pilot has his usual mount for some time, then some bonuses should be added as the mecha becomes more 'used to' the controlling mind, and the human/zent/whatever becomes more 'used to' the mecha. I love protoculture, I just don't use it because of all those pesky Invid hunting me down (ergo: that's when I first started playing an EBSIS character). Protoculture-powered mecha should have bonuses that outstrip any other mecha out there. Fusion mecha, depending on who makes it, should be anywhere from cruddy (say, Merchant Republic) to excellent (EBSIS), but none should eclipse the power of that alien weed.

I'd almost think Invid bonuses should be higher, due to their ability with the weed, as well. Would be fun to see optional rules on it for those needing tougher opponents. Especially on a level like the Stage 5. Though I now can almost imagine how much rulings will change on that, with the advent of Shadow Chronicles seemingly ending the one plot setting in the book where the Stage 5 would be around more.
Currently Playing:

Robotech: Rising Sun hosted by Chris
Robotech 2044: Tales of the Misfits Next Generation hosted by RyuDraconis
Robotech 2042: Getting the Goods hosted by silvermoon383

Will update when another is added. :)

Oh! And Support LibreOffice! Or OpenOffice. Don't be dominated by Microcrap greed!
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

I know it's heresy, but I've yet to see the Shadow Chronicles, so I don't know anything about the 'haydonites'.

I do agree completely with you though about the Invid getting the highest bonuses. After all, they TRULY meld a living being with a machine. The masters 'sort-of' go there with their faceplate helmet technology thingy (technical term, there), and finally us poor humans with all those cumbersome switches and buttons and stuff.

RSCF said something similar a while back regarding master's faceplate technology, and I countered with the EBSIS telemental technology which, (entirely speculatively) would be related but different in its application.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Khyron wrote:Lets Face it The EBSIS is sweet and to lose them well that would totally suck! I'm with you guys on this one :ok:

Quoted!! :ok:

[edit]Oh okay. Quoted with punctuation added, because I'm pedantic like that.[edit]

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

In the pod cast interview thingie Kevin said that right now the first book would be Manga sized, like 5 by 7 give or take. "Digest" size and they were thinking of doing a "Delux" Edition that would be full sized and add in additional information or art. (( he said it probably wouldn't be called "Delux" but that was an easy way to explain it))

I belive if memory serves he said they were going for a page count between 165 and 226 a few times but then said 196 at a later date more firmly.

Which isn't huge for a base book. Animae or Delux,

He did mention the POSSIBILITY of color plates in the delux.

And it was mentioned repeatedly by the rep from Robotech that they've just dumped load after load after load of art work and stuff on Palladium. so hopefully they'll make use of that as well.

But I can't state enough, MAKE THE DELUX FULL SIZE BOOK.

I'll buy it. I'm sure others will too. The manga is ok, but please please please throw us the bone of the Delux. Our dollars won't let cha down.

It was also asked and answered about the MOS Style system with OOCs and Kevin said they were "DEFINATLY" Doing it that way instead of the way it'd been done in the first one with rather limited OOCs

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Robotech_Master wrote:As for me, I would suggest passing the draft of the Robotech RPG by a few trusted fans, such as Brooklyn Red Leg, myself, or some of the others here, for perusal prior to final edit. I would be happy to sign whatever nondisclosure agreements Palladium would deem necessary, if I could look through the thing and catch any serious errors before they hit print. (I refer mainly to continuity and mecha stat errors, of course, but I'd throw in checking for typos free. :))

Barring that, pass it around to folks who have written articles for the Rifter. Some of us have already signed NDAs, or their equivalents to get published there. 8)
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

devillin wrote:
Robotech_Master wrote:As for me, I would suggest passing the draft of the Robotech RPG by a few trusted fans, such as Brooklyn Red Leg, myself, or some of the others here, for perusal prior to final edit. I would be happy to sign whatever nondisclosure agreements Palladium would deem necessary, if I could look through the thing and catch any serious errors before they hit print. (I refer mainly to continuity and mecha stat errors, of course, but I'd throw in checking for typos free. :))

Barring that, pass it around to folks who have written articles for the Rifter. Some of us have already signed NDAs, or their equivalents to get published there. 8)
thou part of the Idea would be to spread the test to various groups who arent directly related to palladium, to get a Less biased response. Inn house Testing is cheap and efficent, but gives a very biased result.
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

and if they send it to fans for eveiw, it should also be sent to fans that are not as opinionated about the show. RSCF, RM, and the rest of you guys are very informed about the show and setting, but you each have your own opinions about certain things, and this game also needs to attract fans like myself that want a fun experiance and aren't as fanatical about following the show scene by scene.

so any fan reveiw should include die hard fans, casual fans, and people who aren't already fans. in equal numbers. so we can ensure that everyone who picks up the game will like it.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

Size of the Shadow Chronicles book: Doesn't matter. 2 versions, original release and a deluxe version, perfect.

For artwork, if possible, why not have Harmony Gold provide Palladium Books with tons of artwork to incorporate into the new RPG? Use the original technical sketches from Shadown Chronicles like some of the artwork from the original Robotech RPG.

This book has to look good. Clean and pretty. Evocotive cover artwork with color inside if possible. If not, make the B&W artwork really, really good. From what I understand, the new Shadow Chronicles RPG is supposed to be selling to more then just Palladium fans.

Edit - Proofread - Edit. Then proofread some more. Use multiple proofreaders. Do one round of proofing and update. Then pass the book on to another proofreader again. Do this many times if you can! I know there are rabid fans who would gladly sign hard NDAs and proofread for free. Use only reliable proofreaders!!!

Go back to the original format of presentation.
Chapter one: Setting
Chapter two: Character Creation
Chapter three: Rules ~ skills, combat, etc.
Chapter four: Equipment
etc.

I think this is a very, very important project for Pally. Maybe a little playtesting whouldn't hurt, either... :)

.....................................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Treefrog
Wanderer

Unread post by Treefrog »

Not bloody likely. The notion of the "thinking cap" was invented by Carl Macek well after the series had been made (for proof, listen to my James Luceno and Carl Macek interview podcasts) and not only is not in the show, but actually contradicts it at a number of points. And also, IMO, it actually serves to reduce the heroic qualities of the Robotech characters, shifting the reason for their mecha's performance away from pilot skill and onto a magical deus ex machina. Since Harmony Gold wants to draw tie-in material closer to the original series now, it will probably be discarded, and good riddance to it.

I see nothing at all wrong with keeping some of Palladium's contributions, as long as they don't contradict the show or seem utterly gratuitous. If nothing else they could be spun as "what if" possibilities. But Harmony Gold would have to sign off on it, and they're staying much more involved with the process than they were in the old days.

As for me, I would suggest passing the draft of the Robotech RPG by a few trusted fans, such as Brooklyn Red Leg, myself, or some of the others here, for perusal prior to final edit. I would be happy to sign whatever nondisclosure agreements Palladium would deem necessary, if I could look through the thing and catch any serious errors before they hit print. (I refer mainly to continuity and mecha stat errors, of course, but I'd throw in checking for typos free. :))[/quote]

It sounds to me that you want to remove something that was uniquely Robotech and make it into Rifts with transformable mecha. As a fan, I could care less if the thinking cap was as you say a "deus ex machina," all I care about is allowing the player characters to duplicate many of the capabilities of the show's characters.

I personally like the thinking cap design.... It bugged the heck out of me that in Rifts, you're not allowed to combine the pilot's HTH capabilities (strike, parry, dodge, etc.) with the mecha itself. It makes perfect sense that the thinking cap is the catalyst that allows the pilot to interface with the mecha.
Treefrog
Wanderer

What I would like to see are:

1) Both Army and Naval (i.e. Ensign, Lt JG, Lt, Lt Cmdr, Cmdr, Capt, Rear Adm, Adm, Vice Adm, Fleet Adm) command ranks.

2) All major character stats.

3) An explanation on the fates of all the Sterlings, Breetai, Exedore, and Lisa Hunter.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

There is alot of things I could suggest, but I think the biggest one would be...

Give the Robotech Masters thier due! Look, these guys were tough, even with a depleted protoculture supply. They were also tough to stop. Watch the Souther Cross saga again. THey were always complaining about how tough those bioroids were.

A few other Robotech Master things:

1.) Lets see more to the fleet than just the Mothership (which was poorly describes in the original book), and the Assault Carrier. There were other ships.
2.) More on Tiresian culture, the triumverate, and the clones. Heck even a section on Tyrol wouldn't be all that bad.
3.) Nix the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stage clone crap. It didn't really make sence, and wasn't what was portrayed in the series.
4.) Add another teir to the Robotech hiarchy. The Elders. It seems like there where some much higher ranking dudes in the series.
5.) Make the Bioroids tougher. Nuff said.
6.) Make the clones more like humans than bags of flesh. See Musica.
7.) Give the Robotech Masters thier own sourcebook. They deserve it. And there is more than enough out there on them.

BTW, I am THRILLED that Palladium got the Robotech licence back. Best news I've heard in a while.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

A lot of what I have to say has been said already, however I am a firm believer in repetition being a good memory tool...

Physical Book Size: I absolutly refuse to buy a book that is a different size than the rest of my Palladium Books. Sorry, but I just am not going to do it no matter the title or how good the RPG is. Bottom line: STANDARD SIZE PLEASE Don't cater to Manga readers, cater to your customers!

Core Rules: 100% compatable with RUE. Notice I didnt say, "make the mecha Rifts compatable", im talking game mechanics. Obvioulsy Rifts specific skills would be taken out and RT skills put in, but things like H2H skills from Rifts would be great. Assassin and Commando included.

Skills and OCCs: One list of skills in the core book. No need to reprint them over and over again in each era. Save the page count for source material and story line. Id like to see OCCs actually mean something. I dont want to see each OCC just be a different starting set of skills. For example, in RUE, the Vagabond has "Eyeball a fella" and the Operator has many specific skills that other OCCs cant take. Id like to see that kind of stuff.

MOS skill format: Many like the MOS skill format. I am indifferent, however MOS format can cut many of the old Southern Cross OCCs down to one or two, leaving room for more source material, or a cheaper book cause of less pages (Id perfer more meat myself).

Good guys and MDC: Im not in favor of "turning RT into Rifts", but I do think there should be a baseline. Pick one basic mecha, and start comparing. For example, a VF-1 is good at 250 MDC. If they are 250 MDC, basic destroids should be 400-500 MDC.

MDC vs SDC: One of the best things about the old rules of Robotech was the emphasis on SDC combat. Only mecha and tanks were MDC. I liked that feeling. Unlike Rifts where everybody is running around in body armor, you could get seriously screwd up by a tank if you were not careful. Personal Body Armor and hand held weapons should be mostly SDC, especially as time goes backwards.

Bad guys and MDC: Lets see some decent opposition. As a base, Id beef up the Zents X3 and the RT masters X2 in mecha MDC as starters (using the old values as a baseline). Additionally, I agree Id like to see more fleshed out OCCs for us to play Invid, Zentraedi, and Masters as player characters rather than targets.

"Real stats": Palladium writers and Robotech fans have had 15 years to pick apart the old books and prove how "inaccurate" the RPG was compared to the show. Use the show as the no kidding canon when statting the items. Additionally, re-classify many mechas and spacecraft to their origianl classification. For example, many of the ASC/EBSIS mecha were not mecha at all, but Power Armors. We all know about the Oberth Cruiser. And do I really need to mention the Beta's weapon systems? Basically, if its in the show, mentioned in the show, or were intended to be part of the show (failed mecha concepts, writers/artists notes, ect...), I wanna see it in this book portrayed correctly.

The EBSIS: I am actually torn on this one. The EBSIS and other international powers of old style Palladium Robotech were a nice touch in my oppinion. However, if I were to demand that PB use the "real stats" as above, I must also demand aspects like the EBSIS, Merchant Republic, and small countries like York be removed. As mentioned before, "anti-unification rebles" can be used in place of the EBSIS and are still true canon.

Conversion notes: Lets face it, despite the fact a lot of fans dont want to see Robotech compared to Rifts, there are just as many folks who want to see cross overs into other Palladium games. Own up and put a page or two on:

-Converting the mecha into Rifts/Phase World/Splicers
-How Protocultre reacts compared to Magic (PPE)
-The effect of converting protoculture powered mecha into nuclear power (or the difference between the two at the least. Heck that would be a good aspect for the acutal game, especially for the Invid Invasion).
-Converting mecha into SDC for folks who dont like MDC or want to bring RT into an SDC environment like HU2 or BTS.

I think this is much needed because Rifts Conversion Book 1 Revised dropped Robotech when it was re-written, and there is no need to re-write the CB again just to add in RT again. Id like to see this in the Core book.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Book size: Expand your audience, do the manga-sized book!
Don't forget your long-standing fans...release a standard-size issue as well, perhaps at the same time, perhaps at a later date...whatever your budget can allow for, don't worry...WE WILL BUY THE STANDARD BOOK. But you can't rely on us old Palladium Die-Hards forever...we're getting old, take Palladium Books' fantastic product to the teens again...just like you did back WAAAAAY back when I was a teen and bought this really cool new game called ROBOTECH.
--That one sale engendered THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OF PURCHASES OVER THE YEARS.

Core Rules: Agreed, make these mo-fo's 100% compatible with RUE.

SKills and OCCs: If you must re-print that material yet again...make it RUE compliant/consistent.

MOS: Ditch that format, 100% RUE compatible is the way to go!

MDC: Agreed, create and work from a baseline.

Bad Guys MDC: Consistent against the Good Guys' baseline MDC, 'nuff said.

Real Stats: Yes, do please use the show "ROBOTECH" as the basis for your research. Screw the original Japanese animation series and the rest, it's not ROBOTECH.

EBSIS: Do as you will, they were fun, but ultimately unnecessary.

Conversion: Oh my god, yes, please do a simple conversion section for Robotech source material.

ALLOW PRE-ORDERS AND DON'T STATE A RELEASE DATE UNTIL THE DAY YOU SHIP YOUR PRE-ORDERS.

Kev, staff guys extraordinaire...I love you guys but Palladium Books is the laughing stock of the RPG industry so far as being able to meet its own deadlines. That has to stop, it costs you far more than short-term profits: it costs your fans disappointment which WILL cost you money.

Best of luck and do a great job!
ImageImageImage
Pax Concord
D-Bee

Unread post by Pax Concord »

There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. My two cents:

1. I have to admit that I never used the rules for driving backwards at over 60 mph from the original game. We probably don't need those rules any more.

2. Cyclones were too powerful in relation to the other mecha.

3. I would like some more realistic space movement rules. Mach speeds in space don't make sense. Please measure space maneuvering capabilities in acceleration, not absolute velocity. Mecha should have a limited supply of reaction mass, too, regardless of their power supplies. This doesn't need to be very complicated, just plausible.

4. I loved the detailed stats for the mecha in the original game, but was disappointed as more and more inacurracies became apparant. Get some hardcore Protoculture Addicts to double-check which missiles go where, what class each space ship belongs to, etc.
-Pax
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

whipped4073 wrote:Not quite true. Nuclear space propulsion doesn't need rocket fuel (solid or liquid, LOX or hypergolic). However, it does still require reaction mass. No reaction mass = no thrust, & you need thrust to move.

Yeehah! Glad someone else here remembers Project Orion!!

Good old bang-bang!

Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Hah. ROVER and NERVA. Wow, I haven't heard of THOSE projects for a while. I'm going to mosey over to the 'reading glasses' thread to see if you've posted your age, lol.

As I recall, NERVA still required a reaction mass of hydrogen, which was passed through a reactor to superheat it and then accellerate it out of the vent at the rear, pushing you along. It was tested successfully in the desert (I have some photos of those tests in a book, somewhere), but never flew. I don't like it much because it's really a similar principle to any other rocket, just a higher specific impulse. Your fuel still runs out awfully quick.

Orion was tested using chemical rockets (which actually is a totally different principle, as Orion fuses the mass into plasma for thrust), and flew with the 'putt putt' rocket. This system still has the highest specific impulse of any known (or available) launch or propulsion system that I know of.

Actually two good fictional sources for Orion are 'Deep Impact', where the ship was powered by Orion, and 'Footfall' by Niven and Pournelle, where you get to see an orion in very graphically-written action.

oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

Things that would get me to buy Robotech RPG:

1. A layout that would do Robotech justice. Maybe for licensed product, deviate from the typical Palladium layout and make it attractive.

2. Art. A good heaping of color ilustrations would definately make the book much more attractive.

3. Either a different game system or a more streamlined Megaversal system. Definately don't want a rehash of the RUE system.

4. Stats for the major characters and vehicles of the RObotech universe.

5. Adventure seeds.
oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

deleted due to duplicate post
Last edited by oni no won on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charris256
D-Bee

Unread post by charris256 »

I'd like to see.

1. Rules for minature mecha cobat. similar to they way D20 does combat.

2. Better art work and continuity.

3. Starship battle mechanics and possible a robotech miniatures game.
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

ShadowAlpha wrote:
dizzycatfish wrote:
- Keep the compatibility with RIFTs. Specifically work on improving the compatibility of MDC and weapon damage levels. Nothing worse than taking your super high tech VT through a rift and having it torn to shreds in one shot by a guy in power armor. Maybe a short adventure idea or supplement on taking robotech into RIFTs (how does protoculture work with Ley Lines, where can you get a VT some replacement missiles, etc) --similar to the entry in the first RIFTs conversion book (but more detailed. Could be a good Rifter article too I suppose...

Yes! I recently bought the Revised Conversion Book and was quite disappointed that not only was that section not expanded upon, but it was taken out entirely! I feel that the Robotech mecha should really be stronger in the Rifts setting. Make them tougher, and if not completely on par with Rifts robots (toughness wise) maybe make them that much more agile or something, due to that wicked symbiosis of man-and-machine that can only come from thinking caps and protoculture!

ShadowAlpha

I have no problem with Robotech/Rifts conversion articles, but keep it out of the Robotech RPG. Update the conversion book, keep it as Rifter articles or release a whole new sourcebook. Don't waste space in the main book on how to import it into a different game.

MikeM
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

ShadowAlpha wrote:
MikeM wrote:
ShadowAlpha wrote:
dizzycatfish wrote:
- Keep the compatibility with RIFTs. Specifically work on improving the compatibility of MDC and weapon damage levels. Nothing worse than taking your super high tech VT through a rift and having it torn to shreds in one shot by a guy in power armor. Maybe a short adventure idea or supplement on taking robotech into RIFTs (how does protoculture work with Ley Lines, where can you get a VT some replacement missiles, etc) --similar to the entry in the first RIFTs conversion book (but more detailed. Could be a good Rifter article too I suppose...

Yes! I recently bought the Revised Conversion Book and was quite disappointed that not only was that section not expanded upon, but it was taken out entirely! I feel that the Robotech mecha should really be stronger in the Rifts setting. Make them tougher, and if not completely on par with Rifts robots (toughness wise) maybe make them that much more agile or something, due to that wicked symbiosis of man-and-machine that can only come from thinking caps and protoculture!

ShadowAlpha

I have no problem with Robotech/Rifts conversion articles, but keep it out of the Robotech RPG. Update the conversion book, keep it as Rifter articles or release a whole new sourcebook. Don't waste space in the main book on how to import it into a different game.

MikeM

Good point, MikeM! I agree!

ShadowAlpha

I don't. These are all questions that are going to be asked by man fans of both Rifts and Robotech (a fan of one is often enough a fan of the other). Rifts/Phase World-Robotech cross overs are ALWAYS talked about. It would be a shame to not mention it. One page, similar to the Rifts conversions in the back of Ninjas and Superspies, would be all it would take to answer said quesitons. Should the page count now allow for this one page, Id expect to see it in print in a Rifter, rather than wait 5 more years for a new Conversion Book revision. All us RUE 1st edition owners all know we will never see any internet errata come from PB, so Its either in the back of Shadow Chronicals...or a Rifter.

I do understand why it was dropped in the Rifts Conversion Book 1 Revised. It was because PB no longer was printing Robotech and no longer had rights to print anythng with RT in any of their books. So legally, they COULDNT print anything about Robotech in CB1:R.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

I would rather see the conversions be placed into a Rifter - that is in my mind where it should be. Unless there is a single line - Completely Compatible with Rifts on the back cover!

If you have to do conversions, place it in an Article of the Rifter - get those subscriptions up.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

charris256 wrote:I'd like to see.

1. Rules for minature mecha cobat. similar to they way D20 does combat.

2. Better art work and continuity.

3. Starship battle mechanics and possible a robotech miniatures game.

The one thing about the PB system that would be pretty good for a computer game would be the starship battles. and it might be easy to do compaied to the Char genorater, becasue he starship rules are fairly strait forward.

It could have two uses, one as a strait up game, and two, as a GM help so he can worry about his pcs w/o having to make up the battle that is raging on outside the ship, maybe a feature that lets the GM insert the char's rolls into the senerio.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

ShadowAlpha wrote: I feel that the Robotech mecha should really be stronger in the Rifts setting. Make them tougher, and if not completely on par with Rifts robots (toughness wise) maybe make them that much more agile or something, due to that wicked symbiosis of man-and-machine that can only come from thinking caps and protoculture!

ShadowAlpha

keep in mind that "toughness" does not automatically equate to "more MDC" either. for a destroid it does, but for a Veritech you have to remember that they can fly at high speed and are supremely agile, which means they can have less MDC and still be tough. ground bound Destroids/battloids should always have a bit more MDC than veritechs for that very reason. a veritech can dodge a shot, a destroid has to take the shot. so it should be able to take a few more hits than a veritech of the same size.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Yep, there is a scene where a Mac II gets obliterated by a Zentradedi PISTOL...

That being said, we are referencing only 2-3 seconds of the life of these destroids. 2-3 seconds of a battle that primarily focused on Rick Hunter and the likes through the entire battle. We have no idea if these were damaged before we see their dying shots.

Anyway, I wouldnt determine armor levels of an RPG on the action we see in the TV show. Sure its a starting point, but in the end, the TV show isnt going to keep track of how much damage each weapon systesm took. They are just going to show a mech gettng blown up regardless of how much armor its supposed to have on the production notes or what weapon it was that shot it.
Updated Aug 2015
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Speaking of the MAC II, I can't wait until the Macross book comes out.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

I think Kagashi is right on this. At least the Macross Era, I truly think it is skewed based on Rick Hunter's POV. He survives, gets shot, beaten up, and still comes out on top. While the no names, one hit and their dust.
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Tiree wrote:I think Kagashi is right on this. At least the Macross Era, I truly think it is skewed based on Rick Hunter's POV. He survives, gets shot, beaten up, and still comes out on top. While the no names, one hit and their dust.

This becomes especially apparent when he gets hit by a Daedalus Attack and manages to survive. Shot down, severely injured, but still alive. Now as for the others, there are plenty of flyby scenes where you see Valkyries and Zent. Fighter Pods losing bits and pieces of their armor as they blast away with their guns.

God, if there ever was a time I wish we could bring Macross 0 into this, it is now. I believe it was in episode 2 where there was a explanation about just how much tougher the armor of the Prototype Valkyries were versus the Tomcats that came just before, and how they got the armor to be so much tougher while keeping the same weight.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

I would suggest, in addition to the Manga-size, offer a 'full' size edition, maybe even a hardcover, for us RPG geeks that wouldn't mind a more expensive version that matches the old books next to it. Call it a 'Collector's Edition' or some such. :ok:
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Armorlord wrote:I would suggest, in addition to the Manga-size, offer a 'full' size edition, maybe even a hardcover, for us RPG geeks that wouldn't mind a more expensive version that matches the old books next to it. Call it a 'Collector's Edition' or some such. :ok:

They are in the works trying to do so.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Kagashi wrote:Yep, there is a scene where a Mac II gets obliterated by a Zentradedi PISTOL...

That being said, we are referencing only 2-3 seconds of the life of these destroids. 2-3 seconds of a battle that primarily focused on Rick Hunter and the likes through the entire battle. We have no idea if these were damaged before we see their dying shots.

Anyway, I wouldnt determine armor levels of an RPG on the action we see in the TV show. Sure its a starting point, but in the end, the TV show isnt going to keep track of how much damage each weapon systesm took. They are just going to show a mech gettng blown up regardless of how much armor its supposed to have on the production notes or what weapon it was that shot it.

i consider the destroids in Robotech/macross to be the same kind of thing as redshirts in original series trek, stormtroopers in star wars, or nameless security guards/minions in any hero movie ever made.

they exist to die. otherwise the hero's don't look heroic. the whole point of their existance is to show that the situation is a dangerous one, which creates dramatic tension and makes the main charaters, which are all but invulnerable due to plot, seem to be in danger.

thing is, you can't really base an RPG on this. it's easy enough to put "mook" NPC's in that can die at the whim of the GM, but to base the player's characters on the survivability of the redshirts doesn't make for a fun game (well, except in paranoia, but in that game you get 3 clones to go through when you inevitably die...)

PC's will always be the hero's, so the MDC and performance should be based on the hero's mecha. and then that mecha is used as a baseline to figure out playable stats for the rest of the stuff. since reason tells us a destroid, being more heavily armed and more massive than a Veritech, should be tougher, it makes sense to give them extra MDC.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Kagashi wrote:Yep, there is a scene where a Mac II gets obliterated by a Zentradedi PISTOL....

Well, its doubtful the Monster (MAC II) has much more than anti-splinter armour to protect it. They were not designed for frontline combat and can only be armoured so much and be able to walk with all the 406mm ammo, ordnance, barrel coolant and cannon propellant.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Also, it seems like the destroids on the SDF were rather slower and clumsier than the destroids we see in action at other times. Also, it seems that in the Deadalus attack at least, their fire control was linked to a button on the bridge rather than individual command of the pilots.

This leads me to think that the SDF's destroids were a lighter armoured, and remote controlled model. Once the resources were not quite so tight planet side, they were able to produce more heavily armoured models and equip them with pilots producing a little more effective fighting force.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
Kagashi wrote:Yep, there is a scene where a Mac II gets obliterated by a Zentradedi PISTOL....

Well, its doubtful the Monster (MAC II) has much more than anti-splinter armour to protect it. They were not designed for frontline combat and can only be armoured so much and be able to walk with all the 406mm ammo, ordnance, barrel coolant and cannon propellant.

Totally agree. But a Zentraedi pistol the size of a VW bug that KS said did 1D6 MD... There is obviously a middle ground that we must maintain.
Updated Aug 2015
Treefrog
Wanderer

I would like to see in the Macross book of an actual breakdown of the different services that comprise the RDF and OCCs of the different services.

For example, a Naval Officer OCC (i.e., characters like Admiral Gloval).

Use real-world specifics to help flesh out the rpg.

More of the big capital ships.

Use the valkyries and destroids from Macross II RPG if its allowed in the agreement with Harmony Gold (if I'm not mistaken, Macross II may have been with a different licensor, but I may be wrong)

Have the Macross Saga span up until the SDF-3 actually folds to Tirol.

More info on Space Station Liberty, more in-depth info on the various bases in the solar system and more info on the Robotech Factory.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Treefrog wrote:Use the valkyries and destroids from Macross II RPG if its allowed in the agreement with Harmony Gold (if I'm not mistaken, Macross II may have been with a different licensor, but I may be wrong)

Your, right Macross II is with a differant company so won't be covered by the Harmony Gold contract.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Treefrog
Wanderer

Shawn Merrow wrote:
Treefrog wrote:Use the valkyries and destroids from Macross II RPG if its allowed in the agreement with Harmony Gold (if I'm not mistaken, Macross II may have been with a different licensor, but I may be wrong)

Your, right Macross II is with a differant company so won't be covered by the Harmony Gold contract.

That's what I thought, but it would have been cool if the designs of the mecha that are in M2 would make it into Robotech.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Maybe if things work out for PB and they recover from the betrayal of faith with this new source of fresh income. Maybe they'll be able to get another contract and put more out for Macros 2.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”