what do you guys think about this?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

When I saw the first picture Robotech_Master posted on his webside, I had nearly the same thoughts.

Robotech needs women in "normal" uniforms.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: what do you guys think about this?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:I posted this as an Open Letter to Harmony Gold on the Robotech boards. What do people here think:

that THIS is the RoboTech bourd
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

I've not yet seen Shadow Chronicles, but from your post, Darklord, I am not entirely certain that I want to. I agree with every point that you have made. In point of fact, I rather liked the concept of a simple military uniform a la Macross. My Fiancee has recently seen Robotech for the first time, and she was taken by the more realistic portrayal of people in it, particularly the women (which she was thinking would have been huge-chested bimbos like other anime).

Oh yeah, and after many months of being away... BOOM, baby, I'm back!
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:Oh yeah, and after many months of being away... BOOM, baby, I'm back!

Holy ****!
Welcome back, Comrade! :D
I'd been wondering where life had taken you recently, while talking to Tiree...
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Re: what do you guys think about this?

Unread post by Snuffy »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:I posted this as an Open Letter to Harmony Gold on the Robotech boards. What do people here think:

First and foremost, the Shadow Chronicles rocked hard. Don't let this take away from that.
But here's my concern about this and future projects:
If you look at the women as portrayed in this movie, as compared to all previous Robotech endeavors, you'll notice a striking difference.
They are inhuman.
Everyone has perfect curves, a teeny waist, chiseled legs and a massive rack.
From Maia to Ariel to Janice, they're all sex pots. That's a first for Robotech. Please make it a last.
Minmei was built like...well, a 16 year old. Lisa was very average. The only one with a body from the Macross saga worth mentioning was Miriya, really. Dana definitely was not in the honey department and even admitted that sexy clothes made her look like she was 10 playing dress up. Nova had a skirt...and tights. Marie was usually in armor...nonform-fitted armor.
Rook had a bod...and she kept it covered. The Regis obviously did not rank mammaries highly when she created Ariel and Sera.
And then there's Annie....nuff said.
Flash forward to The Shadow Chronicles...
it was a bevy of breasts, a horde of ****-age, a veritable cavalcade of chesticles...and it was a bit silly.
Not only did every woman have a 12 inch waist and 36DD, but they were constantly thrust into everyone's faces. Who made that uniform for Ariel? C'mon....have you EVER seen a military uniform with a cleavage cut-out panel?
Ever?
Look at the UN Spacy uniforms. The women wore skirts, but they were military cut. Conservative, reasonable, practical. Southern Cross had bulky armor and/or skintight suits that had paneling that, if anything, de-emphasized the female physique with perhaps the exception of the hips.
Rook's bodysuit and Miriya's purple jumper pretty much are the extent of showing off the female form in Robotech before now.
Let's try to keep it that way. It's really jarring, degrading, and cliche to have military women with breasts spilling out of their uniforms at every jiggling turn. It takes away from Robotech, instead of adding to it.
Yes, a lot of anime does it. But we like you because you were DIFFERENT and more mature. You don't need to woo us with an extra helping of *****.

A long-time fan.

Thank you!
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

I read the letter on RT.com, and I couldn't agree more. The boobage was distracting to say the least. However, if you are new to Robotech and have never seen the original then this might not be such a big deal for you. As today's anime is filled with this type of rediculous character design.

.......................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Alejandro wrote:I couldn't care less about their physiques....it just would have been nice to see them stick with the original military-style outfits of the Macross era. The ones from the Masters & Invid wars just looked downright awful.

I don't remember the uniforms in Macross being particularly military-esque. Please, refresh my memory as to what service on the planet custom tailors a uniform to its recipient down to the colour scheme and pattern?
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:I've not yet seen Shadow Chronicles, but from your post, Darklord, I am not entirely certain that I want to. I agree with every point that you have made. In point of fact, I rather liked the concept of a simple military uniform a la Macross. My Fiancee has recently seen Robotech for the first time, and she was taken by the more realistic portrayal of people in it, particularly the women (which she was thinking would have been huge-chested bimbos like other anime).

Oh yeah, and after many months of being away... BOOM, baby, I'm back!

Good to see ya.....Glad they didn't lock up in Siberia. :D

I like the idea of a conservative look to Military uniforms. It makes them look more like the solder next to them. Ceaser's Roman Legion's had this idea and used effectively.

Several people mentioned costumed suits. It makes sense some aces or units might have a pattern or colour in there uniforms to make them visible and inspire fear ala 'Immortal Legion'. they had there own style armour that made them different from regulars in the army to inspire both troops morale and fear in the hearts of enemies.

If nothing else it meant that the best troops we're the ones that fought the most dangerous foes...
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”