Armor Question

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Robroy
Explorer

Armor Question

Unread post by Robroy »

In the armor section under modern armor it says vests get a +2 AR bonuses vs. zombies. Why just modern vests? Wouldn’t ancient and full body armor get this bonus?

Then in the motorcycle section under riding suits it says zombies only inflict 1/10 damage.

This thing with Armor vs. zombies seems a little disjointed. Was someone trying to balance the toughness of the zombies or what?

Just wondering, in our game we are going with +2 AR to all armor, ½ damage to soft armor (leather and Kevlar), 1/10 damage to hard armor.
"Where ever you go, there you are"-Buckaroo Banzai

"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu
Robroy
Explorer

Re: Armor Question

Unread post by Robroy »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Robroy wrote:In the armor section under modern armor it says vests get a +2 AR bonuses vs. zombies. Why just modern vests? Wouldn’t ancient and full body armor get this bonus?

Then in the motorcycle section under riding suits it says zombies only inflict 1/10 damage.

This thing with Armor vs. zombies seems a little disjointed. Was someone trying to balance the toughness of the zombies or what?

Just wondering, in our game we are going with +2 AR to all armor, ½ damage to soft armor (leather and Kevlar), 1/10 damage to hard armor.

Didn't write that part, but I would (and originally did) rule all armor as being more effective against the undead.

From what I have seen of your post, it might be easer for you to say what you did write in the book :lol:

"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

he can't do so outright due to a NDA with Palladium Books.

I personally would love to get my hands on what I personally had wanted Josh Hilden's Dead Reign and not the Kevin Sembidia's near unplayable version of Dead Reign. I mean I wanted a game where I can survive a fight with a small handfull of zombies and not have 85% of my shots be worthless.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Robroy
Explorer

Unread post by Robroy »

Rockwolf66 wrote:he can't do so outright due to a NDA with Palladium Books.

Note the :lol: thank you :)

sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Rockwolf66 wrote: I mean I wanted a game where I can survive a fight with a small handfull of zombies and not have 85% of my shots be worthless.

Easy, save your shots and run. :P
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
sHaka wrote:
Rockwolf66 wrote: I mean I wanted a game where I can survive a fight with a small handfull of zombies and not have 85% of my shots be worthless.

There is no reason a PC shouldn't be able to head shoot 2-5 slouchers without getting bit ... except for the rules.

:P

From on top of a secure building with a rifle? :P :P

:)
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
sHaka
Hero

Unread post by sHaka »

I was only being cheeky :wink: - I do agree the zombies are quite tough.

I'm going to see how it works in play before deciding whether to house rule things though.

Still think on balance it's a great book.
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Provided a little breathing room a few player characters can make short work of a handful of Zombies. Sure it takes far more ammo than it would to take down an equal number of say...thugs, but these are the frakkin' undead people!

Now, when the scene starts to get a bit more tight/confined...well, you're the dumb zombie if you're hanging around to do battle.

Me...if a zombie can get within 100' of me I'm outta there.
ImageImageImage
Robroy
Explorer

Unread post by Robroy »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
sHaka wrote:

There is no reason a PC shouldn't be able to head shoot 2-5 slouchers without getting bit ... except for the rules.

:P

Save ammo, use a crowbar

Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

Ever play the Xbox game Dead Rising? The one in the shopping mall? There were technically firearms available in the game, and there were 2 firing modes. Standard fire which meant the character pointed the general direction of the zombies and squeezed off a few rounds (in practice several shots could be fired quickly, but it would take severall shots to drop a typical zombie), and the other firing mode which gave you a specific targeting reticule that could be used to accurately put a zombie down with a well placed shot to the head, but you couldn't move when aiming this way (in practise this meant you were not firing as often (the equivalent of taking called head shots in Palladium terms), but firing more accurately, dropping zombies with fewer rounds expended. This was typically with pistols, SMG and Assault Rifles in the game, except more rounds being fired. A short burst in aimed mode was extremely effective when firing into a crowd of Zombies all about the same height. Finally there was a .50 cal heavy machinegun. It didn't matter how accurate you were with this one, this would drop Zombies fast no matter where you hit them. (I wonder if Kevin S. played this game while developing the rule changes for DR...)

All in all however, the firearms you typically reserved to use on the Psycopath bosses (all humans), and the Zombies you fought with whatever else was available (frying pans to battle axes).
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!

Return to “Dead Reign™”