Speed Multipliers

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmer
Adventurer

Speed Multipliers

Unread post by Rimmer »

OK. We have just settled this argument in our group, but were wondering how others might handle it. Alien from a high gravity world gets his Spd, multiplied by three. Does this also apply to "Extraordinary Speed" Wingless Flight" or even "Sonic FLight/Speed" etc.

EDITED: for atrocious spelling, guess I'm not smarter than a fifth grader.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Re: Speed Multipliers

Unread post by Rimmer »

So an Alien from a heavy gravity world, with the power of Sonic Flight, while on earth, would be able to fly around at Mach 3.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Rimmer wrote:So an Alien from a heavy gravity world, with the power of Sonic Flight, while on earth, would be able to fly around at Mach 3.

yeah...I would allow that.
but in the interest of "fairness" all modifiers apply...
so if a speedster also has the ability of APS: Metal (for example) then his max speed would be reduced by 1/3rd.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

as so to be unpopular.....

In practise by palladium staffers, and in keeping with their notes....

Speed bonuses and speed multipliers apply only to the Spd score. EXCEPT when it's a reduction.

In theory this means that a person with a Spd score of 30 and sonic speed, who gets a speed doubler (from whatever source) has a Spd score of 60 and, sonic speed.

On the flip side, if he got a speed divider (like being too heavy, a la, APS stone for instance) it his super speed gets reduced to 300 or so MPH, whiole his normal spd drops to 15.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Mephisto wrote:
Iczer wrote:as so to be unpopular.....

In practise by palladium staffers, and in keeping with their notes....

Speed bonuses and speed multipliers apply only to the Spd score. EXCEPT when it's a reduction.

In theory this means that a person with a Spd score of 30 and sonic speed, who gets a speed doubler (from whatever source) has a Spd score of 60 and, sonic speed.

On the flip side, if he got a speed divider (like being too heavy, a la, APS stone for instance) it his super speed gets reduced to 300 or so MPH, whiole his normal spd drops to 15.

Batts

This comment had me scratching my head...I thought Sonic Speed replaced the Spd. attribute, because...why would any character have a normal speed when they have Sonic Speed? (This isn't sarcasm; I am generally curious how this ruling came about? Maybe because of Negate Super Ability or something along those lines?)

Thats my understanding as well.

EricvonEric
D-Bee

Unread post by EricvonEric »

In the case of Sonic Speed I would probably keep the speed at Mach 1 since medium density has more to do with the speed of sound than does gravity. However one could argue that the power really isn't based on sound, it's merely a measurment of the speed, in which case Mach 3 would make sense. I guess it all depends on how the GM and players choose to define the nature of the power.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

at most I would apply the speed multiplyer to ExSpd, not sonic speed nor any flight powers.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Speed multipliers only apply to the speed score, and not to powers that give a specific speed in mph or kph.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:at most I would apply the speed multiplyer to ExSpd, not sonic speed nor any flight powers.

The only problem i can see then, is that the minor power of Ex Spd, becomes faster than the major power of Sonic Speed.

Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Herald of Shadow wrote:
Rimmer wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:at most I would apply the speed multiplyer to ExSpd, not sonic speed nor any flight powers.

The only problem i can see then, is that the minor power of Ex Spd, becomes faster than the major power of Sonic Speed.

as in an aquatic alien, mystically bestowed (x5 spd), from a heavy gravity world (x3) with underwater abilities (x5 spd, when underwater abilities are possesed by an aquatic alien, all bonuses apply to dry land), & Ex Spd? adding the multipliers gives you ((5+3+5-1)x220=2640 MPH) at first level.

+10 Munchkin points for you then :lol:

Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

EricvonEric wrote:In the case of Sonic Speed I would probably keep the speed at Mach 1 since medium density has more to do with the speed of sound than does gravity. However one could argue that the power really isn't based on sound, it's merely a measurment of the speed, in which case Mach 3 would make sense. I guess it all depends on how the GM and players choose to define the nature of the power.

Well, the sound barrier also applies. If you have a guy who is capable of pushing his body to 3 times the speed of sound, despite the sound barrier, he's still gotta deal with that physical stress. So maybe 2 times the speed of sound, but he takes some SDC damage from running full tilt?
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Actually, I think is says that speed multipliers do not apply to supers powers, nor do they add or multiply if you have more than one.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”