Question: Upcoming Archery Artcile

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prysus
Champion

Question: Upcoming Archery Artcile

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Okay, so I was going through my e-mail this morning and found the Palladium Press Release in my inbox (can also be found in the latest press release on the site). Well glancing it over I noticed this for Rifter 45 coming out in January:

"Palladium Fantasy RPG®: A different look at archery, bows and arrows."

Now I'm guessing this is unrelated but six months ago (May 24 to be specific) I submitted an article for Palladium Fantasy titled "Of Bows and Arrows" which focused on archery. Since I never got any type of acceptance I'm guessing this is an entirely unrelated article (or similar, but not connected). So it's looking like even though it was submitted six months ago I have to have among the worst luck in the world. :P Me being me, I haven't completely given up hope (just not in my nature). Though I do have to ask: Is there any way this could possibly be my article and I just don't know about it? I'm guessing not and I'll probably be reading it with my eye twitching. :lol: While I realize it's probably not, is there any way for me to find out for sure? It'll be annoying me for a month (or more)otherwise. I can deal with it either way, and accept it's probably not mine, but I'm the kind of person that needs to know for sure. Thank you for your patience one and all, and please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys. :)
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: Question: Upcoming Archery Artcile

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

If it was your article you would get a contract in the mail.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

As Shawn said. However, my contracts have sometimes taken a bit to get to me, so you may want to call the office on Monday and see if you can get Wayne on the phone.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Whoohoo! Um ... I mean, Greetings and Salutations. Yes, that is what I meant. Anyways, upon Mark Hall's suggestion I did send Palladium an e-mail last night and received a response today. This is what it said:

Hi, Travis.

Sorry for the confusion. It is your article that is scheduled to appear in the next Rifter. Contracts will be going out this week.

Wayne Smith
Palladium Books

So I am a very happy fanboy. I'm happy just to found out one way or the other, but I am all the happier about the fact it is actually mine! I'm ready to bounce off the walls just to see my name in print. And hey, I know some of you have had it before, but it's still new and special for me. :mrgreen:

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Aramel
D-Bee

Unread post by Aramel »

I have said it in other places, and i will say it again here..

Congratulations bud... I am happy for you
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Mephisto wrote:Hmmm, I'm guessing that this makes Rifter #45 a must-buy now doesn't it?

Well, I hope so. :lol: Yeeesss ... now just to get everyone to buy it for my article until it's sold out then have them all tell Palladium that's why they bought it. All part of my master plan for personal publicity. :evil: I know I'm going to be buying a few, but I might be biast. :P Seriously though, my honest opinion is only buy it if the article interests you, if you were going to buy it anyways, or just because you love Palladium. That's why I wrote it. Take good care and have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Prysus wrote:So I am a very happy fanboy. I'm happy just to found out one way or the other, but I am all the happier about the fact it is actually mine! I'm ready to bounce off the walls just to see my name in print. And hey, I know some of you have had it before, but it's still new and special for me. :mrgreen:[/justify]

Ya know, this will be my fifth accepted submission coming up in #45 (while being fortunate enough to have my "Scaring Crow" show up in #44) and its still special for me... so go crazy amigo! Bounce off them walls!

Congratulations by the way Taco!
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Prysus, I'm very happy for you.

That being said... god I hate you! :lol: I am curious how many submissions you've made to them before they took this one? I've been told that I'm a good writer, even by people here on the forums that would know. Some of them published by the company themselves, so it kind of irks me that I haven't been published, in spite of all the submissions I've made. I've got another one that's about to go out now and would be a great addition to the Rifter (I think).

Again, congratulations Prysus. I'll be getting the Rifter becaus archery has always played a huge part in my games. (My wifes main character is an archer, after all.) This couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! (Well, accept me, perhaps! :wink: ) Rock on man, you deserve it.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Northern Ranger wrote:That being said... god I hate you! :lol: I am curious how many submissions you've made to them before they took this one?

Greetings and Salutations. Are you sure you want to ask that question? :lol: If you're sure, then check the "spoiler" (if I do it right). Anyways, I hope you're stuff gets in. You're a good guy, and I can at least say some of your ideas have sparked new ideas of my own (such as the Messenger O.C.C. I posted in the PF forums was inspired by a skill you did). If you ever do get published let me know. I'll be sure to be sure to buy it. Well, I have a subscription, I'll have it anyways, but I'll buy an extra just for you. Take care. Farewell and safe journeys.

Spoiler:
Well, if you really want to know, truth be told it was my first and, to date, only submission. Though, if it makes you feel better, I also spent many restless nights thinking about it. I was freaked out the first couple weeks after I sent it (even though I knew it was way too early). I didn't actually calm down about the fact until I received the e-mail I posted above.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Mephisto wrote:Now I'm curious Northern Ranger and Prysus...just how much material do you have sitting around (either hard copy or digital) that hasn't been submitted or shared yet? I'm guessing with all of the gaming and imaginations involved, it must be an extensive amount of material.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, most of the stuff I have digital can be found on my site here ...

http://www.prysus.com/

There are a few hidden links on there, admittedly, but those are usually hidden because I'm working on a submission or because of language content (one of my games had a lot of profanity and graphic gore, and I keep my site a family site so that I may show it here). But, truth be told, I have trouble writing. :P I mean, my skill is fine, as one may guess seeing as I was accepted. However, that's the stuff I was able to put down into coherent thought. Unfortunately, I have a lot of trouble turning thought into words. If you look at my site you'll notice a lot of unfinished projects, and that's because I have trouble figuring out how to write what I'm thinking. I mean, I can have the ideas in my head, but totally clueless of how to express those ideas sometimes. Usually when I do right it's a matter of sudden inspiration and getting as much done as possible while I can. When I run games it tends to be fairly loose in rules and more on role-playing, setting, situations, etc. My players know this and tend to be fairly happy. They know the focus will be the story, not the rules or details (details as distances, anything that involves an exact number, etc. but I will describe some things like the color of the leaves, a strange bug hopping around, etc.). Getting accepted may help me get motivated to try and focus harder again. Anyways, I'm starting to ramble. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Mephisto wrote:Now I'm curious Northern Ranger and Prysus...just how much material do you have sitting around (either hard copy or digital) that hasn't been submitted or shared yet? I'm guessing with all of the gaming and imaginations involved, it must be an extensive amount of material.

Wow, Mephisto, you know not what you're asking! :lol:

Let's see, several races (some of which have been posted here to pretty rave reviews!). A couple of new OCC's (Including a fantasy based version of an uber-popular sci-fi class created by the one and only George Lucas), a whole new city (based on the coast of the Eastern Territories) and whole plethora of creation charts and treasure roll-up charts that one of my gaming buddies has helped me with. (Turts, he posts here once in a while.) But probably my biggest claim to fame, which actually get's some publicity here on the forums, is the fact that I've completely re-written the Palladium Skills as they apply to the fantasy setting. Also, I've added quite a lot skills (one of which, free-running, Prysus mentioned above) and a whole new category of skills designed to help make those oh so loveable and overlooked animal companions a little tougher. (Again, Turts has been helping me with this, but it is by and large my own creation.) Also, I have a rather impressive spell book of created and converted spells and psionics. So yeah, you could say I've done some writing for the game I've been loving and playing for nearly twenty years now. Hopefully, someday, the folks at PB will see fit to publish some of it. (But I'm always willing to share with fellow fans, just ask!)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

Prysus wrote:
Whoohoo! Um ... I mean, Greetings and Salutations. Yes, that is what I meant. Anyways, upon Mark Hall's suggestion I did send Palladium an e-mail last night and received a response today. This is what it said:

Hi, Travis.

Sorry for the confusion. It is your article that is scheduled to appear in the next Rifter. Contracts will be going out this week.

Wayne Smith
Palladium Books

So I am a very happy fanboy. I'm happy just to found out one way or the other, but I am all the happier about the fact it is actually mine! I'm ready to bounce off the walls just to see my name in print. And hey, I know some of you have had it before, but it's still new and special for me. :mrgreen:

A heart felt congratulations to you! That's awesome! I understand the rush that comes with being published. So I hope this message reaches you up on Cloud-9! :-D
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I just saw the note and assumed I'd already extended my congratulations. It seems I've been remiss.

Congratulations!
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Rogue Shadow
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Rogue Shadow »

Hi Prysus,

Not to jack your thread or anything, but can you tell me if you have gotten your contract from Palladium yet?

I'm the co-author of the Mystic Knights article in Issue 45 and when I spoke to Wayne a few weeks ago he told me that contracts were being prepared. I am sure that the holidays have just slowed them down, but I was wondering if anyone else had gotten theirs yet, since I see that #45 has gone to the printer.

Thanks for any info you might have.
Last edited by Rogue Shadow on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Actually, no I haven't gotten mine either. I just sent a follow up e-mail a couple days ago asking about it as well, but haven't received a response yet. Though seeing it having gone to the printer I'm not worried about it either. My greatest concern was just to see my work printed. I'm not quite sure what the contracts are for, but not like I plan to cause any problems over it either. Ah well, I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later. Take good care. Farewell and safe journeys.

P.S. Though, if just co-author, did you check with the other co-author? I'm fairly sure they only send a contract to one person, but I could be wrong (I have no experience, but thought I read it somewhere like only one person gets a check as well and it's up to them to split it up or something). I'm guessing you did, but just thought to throw it out there. Have a nice day.

Rogue Shadow
Rifter® Contributer

Thank you for the information. Yes, I have been keeping in contact with my co-author and he hadn't received anything either as of the day before Christmas. I am sure they are just held up because of the holidays and getting Christmas Surprise packages out and such. Like you I wouldn't cause any problem with it either, I am pretty darned excited to see my name in print. :)
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Prysus wrote:

Hi, Travis.

Wayne Smith
Palladium Books

Congrats on getting published!
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. To RogueShadow, I received my contract in the mail today (so guessing you should get yours very soon if not already). Whoohoo! Though I do have a minor question. To anyone who has done this before: I received two copies of the contract. My first thought is that one is for my records and the other for them, but I wanted to be sure that they didn't need both. If anyone who has prior experience can tell me for sure one way or the other I'd appreciate it. I mean I could guess one way or the other, but I figure asking is just a lot easier and smarter. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

At least in the past one was for your records.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Rogue Shadow
Rifter® Contributer

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. To RogueShadow, I received my contract in the mail today (so guessing you should get yours very soon if not already). Whoohoo! Though I do have a minor question. To anyone who has done this before: I received two copies of the contract. My first thought is that one is for my records and the other for them, but I wanted to be sure that they didn't need both. If anyone who has prior experience can tell me for sure one way or the other I'd appreciate it. I mean I could guess one way or the other, but I figure asking is just a lot easier and smarter. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

Hi Prysus,

I did indeed get mine in the mail today, as did my co-author. If yours is the same as the one that I got (and I would imagine it is), there is a line in the second paragraph that answers the question by telling you to sign the last page and return one copy to Palladium Books.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Darn it! Um ... I mean, Greetings and Salutations. Yes, that line is on mine as well. I read it, but it didn't quite click in. I should have read more thorougly rather than a cursory skim. My apologies to everyone for being foolish. Thanks for all the help none the less. I appreciate it. Farewell and safe journeys again.

Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Byline is the most intoxicating agent, anywhere. Congrats. :ok:
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Prysus wrote:

Hi, Travis.

Wayne Smith
Palladium Books

This is a Wonderful thing my friend , I am VERY happy for you . Just knowing you actually contributed something that was seen as hot enough to be printed , Man that would be a HUUGE rush for me haha . Congradulations man . Very very good job . I can not WAIT to check it out .
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

I'm the author of the Court of Tarot article, and this was pretty much my experience also. My best guess is that Palladium doesn't actually need the contracts because these documents seem to be wordier versions of the releases which we signed when we made our submissions. My submission went in nearly a year ago, so I was very surprised to see that one of my articles had been picked up.

Prysus, is your article for Palladium Fantasy specifically or is it more like general information about archery for any setting?

Prysus and Rogue Shadow, did you sign your articles with your names or your pen names? I'm asking out of curiosity.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Rogue Shadow
Rifter® Contributer

Name and pen name are one and the same, so of course I signed it with my name. :)
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Lord Z wrote:I'm the author of the Court of Tarot article, and this was pretty much my experience also. My best guess is that Palladium doesn't actually need the contracts because these documents seem to be wordier versions of the releases which we signed when we made our submissions. My submission went in nearly a year ago, so I was very surprised to see that one of my articles had been picked up.

Prysus, is your article for Palladium Fantasy specifically or is it more like general information about archery for any setting?

Prysus and Rogue Shadow, did you sign your articles with your names or your pen names? I'm asking out of curiosity.

Greetings and Salutations. It is designed for Palladium Fantasy specifically. However, most of it could be easily converted. The O.C.C. would need new skills and equipment depending on setting, but that only makes sense (there are notes for abilities when used in M.D.C. environments though). Some of the other things such as the rules (listing penalties for various circumstances), special techniques, and hand to hand can likely be switched over without need for a conversion. After all, how different are the bonuses from Hand to Hand: Basic in Heroes Unlimited to Rifts. A few bonuses here and there, but using one over the other won't change much. So while parts will be very Palladium Fantasy specific it is my hope that other parts can still be a benefit to any system. If anyone wants help converting some part to a different setting I would be willing to help, though I'm not very familiar with the other settings (Palladium Fantasy is my specialty).

As for which name I used, I wrote under my real name. While I view Prysus as my name (even call myself that in my head more often than my birth name) I used Travis S. Guerrero just for a matter of professionalism (also I didn't think they'd print the name Prysus :P). Though if you meant something else by pen name then I don't think I have one. Okay, I believe that should answer all your questions. Though if not, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible (typically within 24 hours). Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Those were some good answers. Thank you, P-Bomb. The PF version sounds like something I could use as-is in an alternate-history setting I have.

Btw, I can't remember how I signed my first Court article. I'm probably appearing as Scott G, but I might be appearing as my alter-ego, Zaboem.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Panomas wrote:Whoops!

LMAO!- :lol:

haha. I was like "Seriously? this is OLD"
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”