What long range weapons would you use ?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which long range weapon would you choose

Handgun
19%
SMG
8%
Rifle (automatic or B.A.R.)
26%
Shotgun
23%
Speargun
No votes
Crossbow
7%
Bow (long or hunting)
7%
Slingshot
3%
Bolo
No votes
Other (explain)
8%

Total votes: 104

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

What long range weapons would you use ?

Unread post by Razzinold »

I posted this as suggested by Ninjabunny in the other thread (which hand weapon would you use), what long ranged weapon would you use?
I think I would carry anything I could get my hands on :-D
I would carry a Shotgun, realatively easy to find shells at first (hell even Walmart sells them)
I could pack my own if needed. A shotgun isn't heavy, at close range you don't need to be an expert marksman to be fairly effective in it's use. You can saw it down for wider spread, or leave the length for range. Doubles as a club in a desparate situation (i.e. out of shells)
I would carry a crossbow as a back up, also light and could reuse arrows (or bolts) for a while until thet are too damaged, also in a pinch, make my own bolts or arrows.
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Re: What long range weapons would you use ?

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Guns would be nice, but you have to be VERY careful with Shotguns as if you don't handle them properly you can separate your shoulder due to the kick. In the end though i think i'd try for the bow and arrow way as you have a chance to reuse the arrows depending on the situation. On top of that if you can learn how and have the means to do so, make more arrows yourself.

In the cities i'd start with concentrating on getting myself armed. The police station would be my first stop. Just have to hope i don't get shot in the attempt. ;) :lol:
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Being that your wanting to do as much damage as possible, the shotgun seems a logical choice, though the range is not great. A good hunting rifle and scope might be preferable, seeing as making those all important head shots might be a little easier. If you were REALLY proficient with a bow, I guess those would work...I just think the rifle would have more bang for the buck, so to speak.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

I guess it would depend on your "style." Up close and personal or death at a distance. I'd probably go with the shotgun as a primary (being 6'4" and 215 lbs. the kick doesn't bother me) but as thinns get a bit more personal and up close or in very close quarters I'm prefer a handgun. :-D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Razzinold
Hero

Sure I too would love to sit up somewhere high and peg them off with a sniper rifle, or a hunting rifle with a scope. But unless you know how to shoot well, that is harder to do. I picked shotgun, not because you can handle them without care (obviously you can't) but it's easier to hit what you are aiming at. This is also why i choose a crossbow, you can practice on targets and reuse/make more ammo.

As for arming myself, first stop, dad's house. He lives like 2 minutes away by car and has a shotgun and two .22s. Then I would hit up the local gun store, at least I am going in there already armed, less likely I'll get shot :D

Here is a thought, people are worried about getting zombie bits on you, what clothing would you wear to keep you safe ? I don't think this needs it's own thread, we can add that here. I think I would wear either steel toe boots (doubles as a weapon) or some good hiking boots, if I was looking for speed, a good cross trainer. I would probably wear a one piece jumpsuit, kinda like a mechanic tape the sleeves and legholes. Thick leather gloves, maybe my painball mask to prevent splatter in my face. This is everything I have at home, ideally I'd like comabat boots, maybe cargo pants (which i also own) kevlar vest, maybe a riot helmet. But I was trying to keep it limited to things I could get my hands on right now if this suddenly happend. Which would be, steel toe boots, one piece jump suit, roll of duct tape, heavy leather gloves and either my paintball mask or motorcycle/snowmobile helmet with full face shield
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

Any gun would help but espesally a couple shotguns. I think I would go with both a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge and i'll tell you why.

20 Gauge is a common shell and while they are not as large as 12 gauge the weapon would be easier to use and control (and not knock your sholder around if you did not hold it properly).
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I go for crossbow. Easier to use than a bow and easier to be accurate, plus possible reuse of ammo. Should compliment my cricket bat nicely.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I'd go for a shotgun first. A 12 gauge. I don't know about the rest of you but I can take a bit of a kick. 20 gauge's are generally for small women and kids. If you're a small woman or a kid. Have a party, but I can take a 12. Heck I'd PREFER a 10 gauge, but it's not as standard ammo and thus would be harder to find.

I'd also like a Rimington M700 with a Leopoud scope. Zero'd to 1000m. Thing is while standard ammo would be easy to find. you need a defendable position to really use a long gun to full max. The shotgun you could use at distance or close up. I'd have both in my pack if given the ability but if I absolutely had to choose I'd go with the shot gun.

My full weapon run down would look like this.

12 Gauge shot gun.
A Rimington M700
Glock Model 22, 40S&W Round. (( Perhaps dropping to the 9mm if the 40S&W round was hard to find))
My combat knife
Crowbar.

It's alot to carry. And also based on what I have in the house. I'd trade in the shot gun for an M16 if I found one with sufficent ammo. Preferably the carbine version but that's assuming that I find an army troop with out the need for it. But the rest I have in my house right now. I can rig holsters for both rifles to either side of my backpack, to draw over my shoulder. Pistol at my hip. Knife on my theigh, crowbar probably in the belt or also on the pack.

Again it's alot to carry. It'd get heavy quick but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Sir Neil
Adventurer

Unread post by Sir Neil »

If the inevitable zombie apocalypse occurred while I was deployed, I've have a machine gun, an M-4, and a Berretta 92.

If it happened on my civilian job, I'd have an AR-15, a Remington 870, and my XD.

If it happened off duty, I'd only have my pistols, but I'm okay with that. They can be holstered! I learned what a godsend that was on ruck marches through Little Korea, which is why I voted for pistols.
As seen in Rifter 20
Called "disturbing" by Therumancer.
Was informed that "Recommending the destruction of a third of the nation is not appropriate."
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Thankfully the pawn and gun shop a few miles up the road would be the ideal place to stock up. I have an SKS, but no scope. Some 9MM's are good for both pistols with decent capacity, and SMG's. I recommend these for ammo capacity to compensate for lack of stopping power. Shotguns are the most versatile, the range may not be great but buckshot, slugs and other possibilities would great for either head shots, or incapacitating limbs. For stopping power and penetration in a handgun, I HAVE to get a S&W .460! It's a fantastic hand cannon, just watch out or you'll have the problem with your wrists that you'd have with a 12 gauge and your shoulder.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Razzinold
Hero

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Again it's alot to carry. It'd get heavy quick but it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

true it would be heavy but under the circumstances I think most people would be willing to "suffer" through it. Also much like any continous body conditioning (jogging, army training) if you lived long enough you would get stronger from carrying all that stuff with you.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

I have enough .223 ammo stocked away to end a small size zombie army personaly

so ar-15
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Razzinold wrote:Sure I too would love to sit up somewhere high and peg them off with a sniper rifle, or a hunting rifle with a scope. But unless you know how to shoot well, that is harder to do. I picked shotgun, not because you can handle them without care (obviously you can't) but it's easier to hit what you are aiming at. This is also why i choose a crossbow, you can practice on targets and reuse/make more ammo.

As for arming myself, first stop, dad's house. He lives like 2 minutes away by car and has a shotgun and two .22s. Then I would hit up the local gun store, at least I am going in there already armed, less likely I'll get shot :D

Here is a thought, people are worried about getting zombie bits on you, what clothing would you wear to keep you safe ? I don't think this needs it's own thread, we can add that here. I think I would wear either steel toe boots (doubles as a weapon) or some good hiking boots, if I was looking for speed, a good cross trainer. I would probably wear a one piece jumpsuit, kinda like a mechanic tape the sleeves and legholes. Thick leather gloves, maybe my painball mask to prevent splatter in my face. This is everything I have at home, ideally I'd like comabat boots, maybe cargo pants (which i also own) kevlar vest, maybe a riot helmet. But I was trying to keep it limited to things I could get my hands on right now if this suddenly happend. Which would be, steel toe boots, one piece jump suit, roll of duct tape, heavy leather gloves and either my paintball mask or motorcycle/snowmobile helmet with full face shield

that's why you should practice now how to shoot. Any local range has loaner guns.

I have a flak and kevalr from the reserve unit so that is what I'd wear.
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

If we're talking about weapons we have at home now, I only have a few, but here's what I have...

Beretta 21A (.25 cal) w/ only 38 rounds (yep, that's it)
Glock 17 (9mm) w/ 350 rounds (or so)
Glock 30 (.45 ACP) w/ 250 rounds (or so)

Browning Semi-Automatic Shotgun (.20 gauge) w/ 125 shot shells
Mossberg Model 500 (.12 gauge) Shotgun w/ 200 shot shells
Mossberg Model 590 (.12 gauge) Shotgun (same shells as the Model 500)

Ruger M77 Bolt Action, Scoped (.30-06) w/ 150 rounds
Mosin M44 Bolt Action, Russian (7.62 x 54R) w/ 250 rounds
Colt AR15 (currently being modified) (5.56 x 45 NATO) w/ 350 rounds
AK47 w/ Synthetic Furniture abd Underfolding Stock (7.62 x 39) w/ 500 rounds

I've got a good number of knives, machetes, tonfas, brass knuckles (uh... paperweights :wink: ) and other hand held melee weapons, but don't have the time to list them all now.

I'm a fairly well armed former Marine Corps Heavy Machinegunner who stands at 6'4" and 215 lbs, but what if I don't make the Horror Factor Save?! :eek: LOL!
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

For long range some model of hunting rifle with scope. If I was expecting closer combat a pump action 12 gauge. I would always have a 1911A1 .45 as a backup.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Lucky wrote:I would prefer to use none. I would like to *have* a rifle, for hunting or self defense.

But if we are talking about the typical Brooksian zombie, I have no need to engage him at long range. In addition, I will go to any length to avoid engaging him at close range, either. As soon as the first shot sounds, every zombie within literally miles is going to instantly close in on your location.

I would only expend my ammunition against other human beings, those who would try to take what I have.

If I *needed* to kill zombies, I would prefer a bow as they are much quieter. Of course, first I would have to learn to shoot one.

Makes sense.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
csbioborg
Champion

if you were eqaully good at alll weapons that would make sense. BUt I know I spent way more time with a M16 than I did with any other gun becasue I was in the Marine Corps

as Armor you have 9mm berreta and as well

I am honestly not a avid shooter. I go to the range once every few months with firends or shoot in the desert so I have experience with any normal gun and I know the basics to using both a bow and crossbow I woulnd't want to depend on it when I have a viable option I spent years training on
Razzinold
Hero

Man sometimes I wish I lived in the USA, half you guys (and gals) out there are equipped enough to supply your own little merc squad. I own 0 guns, my dad has a 12 gauge pump, maybe one or two boxes of shells, a semi-auto .22 rifle (that doesn't currently work) and another .22 rifle, that kinda looks like an m16. Like I said before I would head on over to his place and get his guns (or share them if he is there and not at work) There is a gun range down the road from me (i live in the country) not sure if they have loaner guns though. I plan on getting my F.A.C. but even then it's mostly shutguns and rifles, and they are expensive as hell up here, also no handguns, near impossible to acquire in Canada, and no cool machine guns and stuff like that. :(
csbioborg
Champion

Razzinold wrote:Man sometimes I wish I lived in the USA, half you guys (and gals) out there are equipped enough to supply your own little merc squad. I own 0 guns, my dad has a 12 gauge pump, maybe one or two boxes of shells, a semi-auto .22 rifle (that doesn't currently work) and another .22 rifle, that kinda looks like an m16. Like I said before I would head on over to his place and get his guns (or share them if he is there and not at work) There is a gun range down the road from me (i live in the country) not sure if they have loaner guns though. I plan on getting my F.A.C. but even then it's mostly shutguns and rifles, and they are expensive as hell up here, also no handguns, near impossible to acquire in Canada, and no cool machine guns and stuff like that. :(

I have a personal hero that is a canuck you might know him Les Stroud he will be the messiah in the time of zombies

if the zombies come I am going off the grid to the Borela OFF THE GRID
csbioborg
Champion

I still really have issues with relying on a bow and arrow.

How many people on here actually are good enough to realistically take down a deer forget about a zombie

I've messeed around with them but the time and efcfort that it likely would take to be proficent at it is not realitic
csbioborg
Champion

well I guess am personalizing this a bit

you make a fair point as a hypotheical

I am talking about what I personaly could use right now

anybody here actually good with a bow however I am curious how long it takes to learn how to use one to say at least consistently hit a target at say 50 yards
csbioborg
Champion

I got to imagine sight alignment not picture
natural respitroy pasue squezze not jerk the trigger are a tad different using a bow vs a firearm
Razzinold
Hero

csbioborg wrote:
Razzinold wrote:Man sometimes I wish I lived in the USA, half you guys (and gals) out there are equipped enough to supply your own little merc squad. I own 0 guns, my dad has a 12 gauge pump, maybe one or two boxes of shells, a semi-auto .22 rifle (that doesn't currently work) and another .22 rifle, that kinda looks like an m16. Like I said before I would head on over to his place and get his guns (or share them if he is there and not at work) There is a gun range down the road from me (i live in the country) not sure if they have loaner guns though. I plan on getting my F.A.C. but even then it's mostly shutguns and rifles, and they are expensive as hell up here, also no handguns, near impossible to acquire in Canada, and no cool machine guns and stuff like that. :(

I have a personal hero that is a canuck you might know him Les Stroud he will be the messiah in the time of zombies

if the zombies come I am going off the grid to the Borela OFF THE GRID

OH SURE!, just 'cause I live in Canada, I MUST know ALL other Canadians, lol :lol: just messing with you.

As for the "armed americans" I was not trying to sterotype all Americans, but a lot of people on these boards, have or claim to have, a fair amount of guns on their hands. I just meant that it's harder for Canadians to do that. I also was not trying to idolize guns, I was just saying if something like that did happen, MOST, but not all, Americans, would probably be off to a better start weapon wise. Now to keep things from getting too serious and all that, here are some words to annoy my American friends:
colour
armour
(stop spelling those two wrong)
kilogram
meter
:mrgreen:
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

The movie 28 Days Later contains a good example of proper zombie hunting clothing: cover as much as possible. This guy has a long coat, heavy gloves, a full face shield, and a police riot shield. Bad part is, he has no firearms, so he has to do it up close and personal. While his creatures aren't true zombies(being still alive,) this is still a good idea. Just give him a chainsaw, and this outfit should protect against Romero-type zombies, as well. Most of the zombie hunters in movies leave too much skin showing for my taste. If I went into a dark, confined area, I would want a full face motorcycle helmet, a heavy leather jacket, and leather chaps. Heavy gloves on my hands, plus if we had some surviving SCAers or RenFair people, try to cover my forearms with chain or ring mail.Barring that, you could take some shin guards and duct tape them around your forearms. If a brainmuncher does jump out, let him chew on one arm, while with your other arm you stick a pistol in his face. Axes would also be good for close in work, since they have the advantage of not running out of gas. For distance work, a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot would work well, but even #6 shot would take a head off at close range. For pistols, both the .357 and .44 magnums would be best. A Ruger Mini-14 would be great for longer ranges, in .223 caliber, it has nowhere near as much recoil as a .30-06 or a .308 Winchester. And if you use hollowpoint bullets, it can vaporize a groundhog or a head from a long way off. While answering this post, I have tried to limit my suggestions to commonly avaiable weapons, not stuff only the police of military have access to.Hope this helps.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
csbioborg
Champion

now you guys think that your average zombie would be able to bite through your average pair of cammies the new digi ones those are pretty sturdy
csbioborg
Champion

Lucky wrote:
csbioborg wrote:now you guys think that your average zombie would be able to bite through your average pair of cammies the new digi ones those are pretty sturdy

What??? no no no no no :-?

They are made out of the same fabric, they just have different patterns on them. Why would you even think that the Digital pattern Cammies had any kind of reinforcement to them?

Of course they aren't reinfocred still have mine but the material in general is pretty sturdy

I mean when you have an IP you just put a lighter to it
I just think they would be pretty hard for a zombie if they are shamblers to bite through
csbioborg
Champion

Lucky wrote:Perhaps but that doesn't make them any different from your regular old style fatigues.

honestly I think they use more material on the new ones but thats realy besides the point I'll just ask how hard do u think it is to bite through cammies to the extent that it would cause infection
csbioborg
Champion

the Canadians have already invented a bear proof suit let the zombies come

http://www.engadget.com/2004/05/11/griz ... e-on-ebay/
csbioborg
Champion

Lucky wrote:The only new material on the digitals is a single patch on the knees and elbows, and a layer across the rear. The occurrence of bites on the knees and elbows is going to be quite low, I can assure you. Most defensive wounds are between the palms and forearms.

It is unlikely, but I wouldn't take the chance.

I disagree with that statement

I throw a lot of elbow and knee strikes becasue partial becasue of my muay thai training so I'd be worried about catching a zombie on the theeth

A person fighting as opposed to defending will not have many bite marks on the palms

fists are bunched up

forearms you are right about
csbioborg
Champion

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
csbioborg wrote:the Canadians have already invented a bear proof suit let the zombies come

http://www.engadget.com/2004/05/11/griz ... e-on-ebay/

so ... freaking ... awesome!

:D

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPS2l5fQ55A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5- ... re=related
csbioborg
Champion

No I apologize I must have worded myself poorly

preferably I would be 500 meters away with my ar 15 (or really inside my tank)

I was commenting on your statement that the odds of elbow and knee injuires in a pure hand to hand confrontation would be rare and so rare (at least as I read it to be negiable) I'd have my old knee pads on if possible

Now I have no idea how I'd really fight a zombie but jiu jitsu is out except for maybe leglocks you can't ckoe them and chokes are definetly going to leave yourself open to bites as long as upper body subs

beisdes if there is more than one going to the ground is a bad idea period

what else do you have left if you do not have any weapons and are cornered?

I'm not saying that is my preferred method I am saying if my only option was hand to hand striking problay with a lot of push kicks and if they got in close elbows would be your best bet

however you are right I'd most likely be biten and turned into a zombie qauickly
Razzinold
Hero

Lord NorDeth wrote:Being a Canadian (Stupid Gun Registry) makes weapons HARDER to get, but not difficult, you just need to take the course, have your permits, and Register them. Just in my home, my wife and I have access to:

.410 Shotgun (Useful for upclose Zombie pasting, and can be cut down to a more reasonable, near handgun sized weapon if ever needed)
12 Gauge Single Barrel Break-open (With Deer Slug and 00 Buck (Yanks call it SSG)
120lb pull compound bow with a 55% let-off @ full draw, can be adjusted downwards for her to use, as low as 75lb pull

That does it for Distance weapons...

Melee: (Being into Martial Arts has made this my "field of Excellence")

Various Swords (Mostly Japanese style blades, all but 3 are live steel, 2 are proper Japanese style folded steel)
Knives (TOO NUMEROUS TO MENTION, as I used to teach Defensive and Offensive blade combat for the Canadian Armed Forces), This also includes an impressive collection of Kitchen Ware
Blunt Weapons: From Baseball bats, to Staves, to Hockey Sticks to Asp Batons, I've got 'em

Armour: THIS is where I luck out (My current job involves me occasionally doing VIP Close Body Protection work) so I have a couple of Bullet Resistant (I REFUSE to use the term PROOF) Vests.

All of this is legally owned and registered, so I guess us Northerners aren't so bad off, we just have more in the way of Long Rifles than Handguns (When the gun Registry was first being enacted, a survey done showed that there were enough Rifles and Shotguns in homes in Canada to provide 1 gun to every 3 people, and that was legally registered ones at the time)

All in all, I just need to find a place to hole-up!

If I wanted to get REALLY creative, I wonder what would happen if you substituted a baseball into a potato cannon that can hurl a potato the length of a football field! 8)

Well in a little bit I will see first hand HOW difficult it is, as I plan on trying to get my F.A.C. (is it still even called that ?) and I plan on buying a shotgun for sure (most likely 12 gauge, I'm deciding between a pump like my dad has, or double barrel) and maybe a rifle as well. I doubt I am going to try and go through the hassle of trying to obtain a pistol legally in Canada (not that I will buy an illegal one, I doubt support the sale of stolen/illegal weapons) if I am going to bother going through with getting a shotgun or rifle I am going to do it legally
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

What about a pneumatically powered stick launcher like I just saw on Mythbusters?
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Lucky wrote:Push kicks, and quick sweeps with a sprint away at your earliest convenience. Jiu Jitsu is out the window, because it is a SPORT and leaves you completely vulnerable to bites and scratches, Don't forget, the zombie is going to be grabbing for you as well as trying to bite, so you have to fend off his arms.

What I would do? Take him down at the knees and then escape. No need to finish him off if you can just out pace him instead.

Remember, you don't have to run faster than the zombie. You just have to run faster than me. :-(
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I would NOT want to be the guy who tests those things.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
csbioborg
Champion

Lucky wrote:Will a seven minute mile get me off the hook?

Devil Dog you'd better be kidding
csbioborg
Champion

Lucky wrote:
csbioborg wrote:
Lucky wrote:Will a seven minute mile get me off the hook?

Devil Dog you'd better be kidding

Nope. I run a 21 minute PFT. And that is plenty good enough for me.

fair enough I figured that's what you meant

becasue a person that runs a single 7 minute is problay doing the three in 25-26 minutes which isn't sat
and would be hard to hit 225 with anyhow
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

I'm not sure, does dead reign have Magic? if they would this would open a whole new can of
worms...... Blowgun, or Sling, & Spit dragon pearl (Mystic China)........ Nothing personal, quiet,
but deadly.
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
csbioborg
Champion

even NPC magic? Wouldn't the Dead reign witch that invited in the AI have some powers
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Submit it to the rifter.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
csbioborg wrote:even NPC magic? Wouldn't the Dead reign witch that invited in the AI have some powers

Sadly poor Brulyx has gone the way of the Dodo.

:(

Unlike many others here, I seem to prefer magic and psionics, even in a zombie apocalypse-type scenario. So, when I run Dead Reign, I decree they will exist in the setting. Admittedly, I wasn't too fond of the idea that the Wave was caused by an AI[kinda burned out on those guys], but I see no problem with keeping it and its cult in the game as an outside force using the zombie situation to its advantage.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

A bit far back but you don't want to put on that bear suit. It makes you fat and slow, and even if they can't bite you... 2 or three can pin you down, then they can rip at the suit at their leisure and get to you eventually.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

csbioborg
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:A bit far back but you don't want to put on that bear suit. It makes you fat and slow, and even if they can't bite you... 2 or three can pin you down, then they can rip at the suit at their leisure and get to you eventually.

they tested it on a real live bear and he didn't rip it off
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Yeah I know. And the real live bear meandered off after a minute or two.

It didn't pin you to the ground with one or two other bears, with the never resting, never ceasing, never ending work of an undead zombie and chew and chew and chew and chew and chew and chew and claw and claw and claw and claw for minutes.. hours... days.... more and more zombies showing up because of the moan and struggle to pile on and rip at you...

Even if some how they didn't get in. You'd soon be too tired to fight back (( real fights barely last 10 minutes, it's just soo tireing)) Once you can't fight back, even if they can't get in, You can't get out. You're pinned under a pile of undead flesh....

And you can only live so long with out food and water, if the weight of them piled ontop of you dosen't work like somone sitting on your chest and not letting you draw air.

You'd still die. Might take you a few hours or days, but you'd die.

Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Hmm, if the I have the option of being able to select any firearm then my list would be:

HANDGUN: .40 S&W automatic

SMG.........: MP5SD4 rechambered for .40 cal rounds

RIFLE........: G-36 (with all its fixin's)

SHOTGUN: AA-12 (cause nothing says "Bye Zombie Scum" better than a full auto 12 gauge)

I'd say a crossbow to but only as a special occurence type weapon, they take entirely to long to reload.

Bow, I'll leave to my wife as shes a much better shot with one than I'll probably ever be.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I would Choose the...

Heckler & Koch G-8 Automatic Rifle.

While it's chambered in 7.62X51mm NATO the recoil is best described as similar to a heavy 5.56X45mm Load. Plus even with a 17.5 inch barrel it's accurate out to 1,200M and is accurate enough to act as a spotters rifle. yeah it was designed for the German Border Police and is based on the H&K HK-21E light Machinegun.
It's either belt or magazine fed depending on what adaptor I use in it.

Lasty while they are no longer a factory offering I'm sure that there are a few Caliber conversion kits to 5.56X45mm and 7.62X39mm still around for the HK-21 family of weapons.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Yeah I know. And the real live bear meandered off after a minute or two.

It didn't pin you to the ground with one or two other bears, with the never resting, never ceasing, never ending work of an undead zombie and chew and chew and chew and chew and chew and chew and claw and claw and claw and claw for minutes.. hours... days.... more and more zombies showing up because of the moan and struggle to pile on and rip at you...

Even if some how they didn't get in. You'd soon be too tired to fight back (( real fights barely last 10 minutes, it's just soo tireing)) Once you can't fight back, even if they can't get in, You can't get out. You're pinned under a pile of undead flesh....

And you can only live so long with out food and water, if the weight of them piled ontop of you dosen't work like somone sitting on your chest and not letting you draw air.

Exactly. Bears get bored easily. The Walking Dead have all the time in the world and don't reallt tire. I'd rather not wear the Bear Suit. The mobility is shot as well as the ability to protect yourself with both ranged and melee weapons. :(
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

GreenGhost wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Yeah I know. And the real live bear meandered off after a minute or two.

Exactly. Bears get bored easily. The Walking Dead have all the time in the world and don't reallt tire. I'd rather not wear the Bear Suit. The mobility is shot as well as the ability to protect yourself with both ranged and melee weapons. :(

I'll have to throw my vote in with the whole anti-bear suit crowd, it might be good to study a small number of Zs in a "controlled" enviroment but out in the field theres no way in hell I'd use it or recommend anyone use it except maybe as a last ditch "This will save me till imminent rescue arrives" situation.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

If the Zeds show up at work, I will have to settle for my issued Glock with 45 rounds of ammo. At home, I can get to my primary zombie killer. My mossy loaded with low recoil buckshot and slugs. Along with my AR , handguns and various impact and edged weapons.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

NinjaLemur wrote:This is the kind of thing perect for anti zombie fighting. It igves great protection while still allowing mobility (trust i've actully worn this stuff once). As far as weapon goes i'm for my second link really would love to get my hands on one of these babys or give a good a good Barret 50 cal. M821. I know theresa another military guy thats post on ethese boards (i'm ex military) he probally atest to the deadly effectness of the Barret

http://www.armorchina.com/Products/Body%20Armor/Riot_Armor.htm

and for my weapon of choice

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/02/aa-12-automatic.html

Personally I have examined an M-82A3 Barret back when I weighed in a 140 and it was a thirty pound female dog to carry. Now It's the cat's pajamas on trucks and light vehicles. On human beings it's really overkill and with the lack of any real effects of hydrostatic shock( or shock period) it's not that effective. Which is why I went with a G-8 Automatic Rifle. As for a fully automatic shotgun, A friend of mine who has spent the past 25+ years training SWAT Teams has stated that Full Auto Shotguns are more for show than go. On semi-Automatic they are more effective than on full-Auto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euzxVLkCVI0

Enjoy the video clip of a really close relative of the G-8.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs

Return to “Dead Reign™”