Favorite sidearm in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Favorite sidearm in Rifts

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

I was wondering; nearly every OCC in Rifts gets the obilgatory "energy pistol of choice", and alot of the time I find myself taking the same 3 pistols - my favorites. Sometimes my GM restricts one or two due to setting constraints, but that leaves atleast one fav. selectable. I often choose based apon stats, look (mainly look), and functionality.

My choices are the Q1-02 "Stopper" Ion Pistol, the Wilks 457 (I think that's the model) "Backup" dual Laser Pistol, and the C-20 Laser Pistol.

Why the Q1-02? Just look at it; one of the best looking guns on the market, and the damage is nothing to sneeze at (4d6+4 is totally awesome actually), but the range could be percieved as "lacking". But to me 200ft of range on a pistol is perfect; if I wanted to engage targets at a longer distance, I'd use a rifle.

Why the "Backup"? Normally I hate most all Wilks weaponry; it looks so dumb (the Nintendo lightgun look only ever worked for Nintendo), and the stats left something to be desired (who cares about +1 to strike if every other gun is doing twice as much damage?). But this one, this pistol feels like the hand-cannon of laser pistols. 3d6 per barrel, and can double blast for 6d6 (giving an e-clip 8 shots - more like the pistols of old). Also, the look on this one doesn't come to that stupid Wilks trademark point; it has a "punches holes through 'borgs" appeal.

Finally, the C-20. Lacking in stats (completely - save for ammo. I mean 2d6 no other bonuses?!), this has an awesome look to it, as well as a dynamic picture that really sold me on it (you know the one; I think it's a Coalition Psy-Stalker using a pair of them). While your combat effectiveness might be better suited to a NG-45 LP, your coolness factor is way up there with one (or two!) of these.

So these are the sidearms that rest on the hips and shoulder-holsters of the majority of my characters. I'd like to know what one (or two, or possibly three) pistol(s) you favor.

**LIST**

Q1-02 "Stopper" Ion Pistol - 1

Wilks 237 "Back-up" - 4

CP-20 Pump Pistol/Triax Pump Pistol - 8

Naruni Glock - 1

Vallax Force Pistol - 1

NG-57 Ion Pistol - 4

Wilks 320 - 3 (lumped those in who appreciated a regular old Wilks)

Nema Automag - 1

NG-45 LP Long Pistol - 8

Naruni P-cartridge Revovler - 2

Bandit BigBore Revovler "BB-6" - 1

CP-30 - 2

Wilks CFT Autopistol - 3

Wilks-Remi "Big Man" - 1

TW Thundergun - 1

Colt 1911 - 2 (lumped in those who appreciated just a regular old .45)

C-18 - 1

Wilks-Remi "Kingdom Come" - 1

Arkhon Tri-Beam Pistol - 1

TX-26 Particle Beam Pistol - 1

Naruni Barrage Auto-pistol - 1
Last edited by Dog_O_War on Wed May 21, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Favorite sidearm in Rifts

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I've always stuck with the NG-57 Ion pistol. Good, reliable, easily available and you don't have to worry about special e-clips or ammunition.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Wilk's 320 Laser Pistol.

I have yet to find a GM who wouldn't let me use it. I love the accuracy, light weight, and ceramic construction. It's cheap and easily available. Low damage? Any Mega-Damage weapon isn't low damage.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Nema Automag, Simply the best SDC sidearm in the game, and can be loaded with MDC rounds.

Pump Pistol, lotta power in those little shells

Pistol Crossbow, Variety is the spice of life.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

The NG Long Pistol

CS/Triax Pump Pistol

C-20 Laser Pistol

NG-57 Ion Blaster

and the MP-10
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

Hmm i've always liked:

CP-30
NG-45LP
Wilks Backup
MP-10
Nema Automag

The CP-30 more for the look than anything. THough with the new 'pulse burst' rules allowing you to do aimed shots iwth them it's actually a fair bit better than it used to be.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Wilks CFT Auto Pistol, SDC ammo, Ramjet rounds, Laser rounds, cannot beat it for versatility.

I used to like plasma cartridge pistols, not so much anymore.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

My squad loves to use Amaki Blast-Sword: Plasma blade does 2D6+6 M.D. or plasma discharges do 3D6 M.D. with a range of 500 feet & Payload: 20 shots per E-clip.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

macksting wrote:It wouldn't qualify for the criteria, but this really makes me want to create a TW Derringer.

There is an ion derringer in Juicer uprising, And i think Wilks make a laser derringer.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Wilks 320---stylish and accurate, and low-profile...
NG Long Pistol---While the Wilks is slim and accurate, the LP is heavy, intimidating, and packs a wallop....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Assuming the character can use it: The TW Thundergun (New West). While it's got some restrictions on targets, it can double as a plain SDC gun by not pumping PPE into it.

While not a pistol... The TW Hellfire Shotgun can also perform double-duty.

FWIW - I've always wanted a energy pistol that could switch between SDC and MDC attacks like the C-12, but have yet to find one.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

taalismn wrote:Wilks 320---stylish and accurate, and low-profile...
NG Long Pistol---While the Wilks is slim and accurate, the LP is heavy, intimidating, and packs a wallop....

Finally! Someone else who likes the 320!
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Im a TX-5/C-5 type of guy. I just like "bullets". I guess the new Naruni slimline guns are cool too.

A simple 1911 with ramjets is nice as well.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Dog_O_War
Champion

Wow, 'lotta love for that pump pistol; I think I'll edit my top post to gauge a "favorites" list, only including the top two for each poster (that's the first two listed).
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Mack wrote:
FWIW - I've always wanted a energy pistol that could switch between SDC and MDC attacks like the C-12, but have yet to find one.

The M-2011 from Undersea's? Just going off memory but I thought it had both SDC and MDC settings.
Dog_O_War
Champion

K20A2_S wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:Wow, 'lotta love for that pump pistol; I think I'll edit my top post to gauge a "favorites" list, only including the top two for each poster (that's the first two listed).

I say get the top 5 or 10 after some more votes and make a poll.....

Suprised not too many peopel have sprung for those six shooters Naruni makes that do like 1d4x10 per shot.....

There's a lot of nice TW pistols in teh New West too....

Not too many people are fans of revolvers manufactured before 1901.

That said, I've held and used dozens of them and I gotta say that handle (the half "U") is the best I've ever "handled" for ease of draw and aiming from the hip. 'Course I can't shoot worth a damn with a pistol anyways (aiming via the iron-sights and a two handed hold or one handed from the hip), but it is more user-friendly.

I like those old revolvers, but that's because I was subjected to them constantly thanks to my dad (he's got 20 or so now. Couple of cap n ball loaders too).
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Personally I dont like Energey styled weapons hand gun or rifles ... Them casters can cast immunities to .. So I like an always when I get a chance to play instead of GM'ing choose
Pistol - C5 Pump Pistol.
Rifle - NE-99 Rifle.

begw wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:CS Pump Pistol with Explosive rounds.

Naruni Glock style pistol

Those are teh only ones I'm kind of fond off............not a big pistol person......even in close quarters combat I rather use a tactical rifle.

Vallax force pistol- 5D6 MD, 20 shots, 1000 ft. range. But for some reason, it's always hard to find.

I had thought Vallax weapons were only usable by the Vallax ? Some kind of tech they built into the weapon itself allows only thier race to use them ?

NOTE*
They do have some decent weapons none the less ..
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Mack wrote:

The M-2011 from Undersea's? Just going off memory but I thought it had both SDC and MDC settings.

Robotech has the Gallant H-90. Not only does it switch between SDC and MDC modes, the pistol can be configured to a rifle mode to do more damage and range.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
taalismn
Priest

Gotta amend my favorites to include a third...a projectile weapon of some sort...Not sure if the Pump or the Big Bores can be used to chamber other types of ammo as well, so I'll default to the NEMA Autopistol, so's I can have the ability to chamber specialty rounds like silver bullets, wood rounds, and ramjet/explosive rounds....Versatility...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

NG-45LP
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Lenwen wrote:Personally I dont like Energey styled weapons hand gun or rifles ... Them casters can cast immunities to .. So I like an always when I get a chance to play instead of GM'ing choose
Pistol - C5 Pump Pistol.
Rifle - NE-99 Rifle.

When you get China 2, check out the ballistic guns in it.

South America has some ballistic guns in it as well (both books). I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to see those weapons introduced to North America, since the CS has diplomatic ties with a few nations there.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Kagashi wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Mack wrote:

Robotech has the Gallant H-90. Not only does it switch between SDC and MDC modes, the pistol can be configured to a rifle mode to do more damage and range.

Yep, but I think Mack was looking for Rifts guns.

Anyway, yes the M-2011 does have a SDC and MDC setting.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Personally I dont like Energey styled weapons hand gun or rifles ... Them casters can cast immunities to .. So I like an always when I get a chance to play instead of GM'ing choose
Pistol - C5 Pump Pistol.
Rifle - NE-99 Rifle.

When you get China 2, check out the ballistic guns in it.

South America has some ballistic guns in it as well (both books). I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to see those weapons introduced to North America, since the CS has diplomatic ties with a few nations there.

True , but I wanted to make sure we were talkin mostly about North America rather then other parts if this is out of all of Rifts earth my answers would 100% be something else . I like these tho as thier easily attainable for North American campaigns .
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Sir Blayse »

NG-57, variable damage, decent range and payload- easy to get ammo- and the picture looks awesome, though the scope doesn't seem to give you a bonus...

The other one is just the old .45 caliber- with loads for ramjets or silver rounds.
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

The C-5/TX-5 Pump Pistol has always been an favorite of mine. It's robust, somewhat compact, and just so damn authoritative looking. And the 4D6 MD damage is respectable in a pistol too.

Another favorite has to be the original classic C-18, even if it is only a 2D4 MD weapon. It gets points in style and sentimentality.

But the gun I just love has to be the Wilks 210 Pocket Pistol. Easy to palm, easier to conceal. Take it darn near anywhere you please.... and it's cute as a button too! :D

Rimmer wrote:Wilks CFT Auto Pistol, SDC ammo, Ramjet rounds, Laser rounds, cannot beat it for versatility.

I second that. E6 laser cartridges, silver bullets, normal SDC hollow points; you name it, it shoots it. :ok: Can't go wrong with the Autoshooter
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
taalismn
Priest

Dead Boy wrote:The C-5/TX-5 Pump Pistol has always been an favorite of mine. It's robust, somewhat compact, and just so damn authoritative looking. And the 4D6 MD damage is respectable in a pistol too.

Another favorite has to be the original classic C-18, even if it is only a 2D4 MD weapon. It gets points in style and sentimentality.

But the gun I just love has to be the Wilks 210 Pocket Pistol. Easy to palm, easier to conceal. Take it darn near anywhere you please.... and it's cute as a button too! :D

Rimmer wrote:Wilks CFT Auto Pistol, SDC ammo, Ramjet rounds, Laser rounds, cannot beat it for versatility.

I second that. E6 laser cartridges, silver bullets, normal SDC hollow points; you name it, it shoots it. :ok: Can't go wrong with the Autoshooter

Add it to my list..I wanna be prepared...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

Unread post by Astral Pantheon »

T'Zee Piranha Gun (My Favorite)
Daisho-10 Multiweapon
and
Dragon Rod (I know it's a Rune Weapon but I like it anyway)!!
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Well, I'd look up what it was called if I wasn't sitting here by the Tirgis river, but anyways, I always prefer the six shooters that take the las-cartrages. I don't remember exactly which one it was called, it might have been the peace maker, but I want to say there was another one I liked better... My side arm is about functionality and just as much, style.
Sir Blayse
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Sir Blayse »

Jerell wrote:Well, I'd look up what it was called if I wasn't sitting here by the Tirgis river, but anyways, I always prefer the six shooters that take the las-cartrages. I don't remember exactly which one it was called, it might have been the peace maker, but I want to say there was another one I liked better... My side arm is about functionality and just as much, style.

Glad to see my location is no longer Iraq. Wish you luck... You in BIAP or further north?

Dead Boy wrote:The C-5/TX-5 Pump Pistol has always been an favorite of mine. It's robust, somewhat compact, and just so damn authoritative looking. And the 4D6 MD damage is respectable in a pistol too.

I have to have respect for the slug throwers, always good to have some options. I may just have to get one, didn't realize e-clips cost so much, until my GM started me with just a regular SDC weapon and no MD ones. Now I have to buy a gun and clips. I might just go with a cost effective TX-5.
I ride for the poor, the sick, the ignorant, and the downtrodden. I fight for good and for the justice of those in need... And I will die with knowledge that I have done all I can and have no regrets!-Sir Blayse
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

Jerell wrote:Well, I'd look up what it was called if I wasn't sitting here by the Tirgis river, but anyways, I always prefer the six shooters that take the las-cartrages. I don't remember exactly which one it was called, it might have been the peace maker, but I want to say there was another one I liked better... My side arm is about functionality and just as much, style.

That would be the CFT line of revolvers from Wilk's, same as the CFT Autoshooter that Rimmer, Taalismn, and I all love. I will add your name to the protected scrolls. :)
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

What, no love for the Arkhon Tri-Beam Pistol? That's a heck-of-a-lotta damage!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Daniel Stoker wrote:I've always stuck with the NG-57 Ion pistol. Good, reliable, easily available and you don't have to worry about special e-clips or ammunition.

Daniel Stoker

:ok:

I love the NG-57.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

Sarael wrote:A Pump Pistol underwater at point blank deals 16d6, theoretically.

Where on Earth did you get the math on that? I'm 95% sure that is says that explosives do 25% more damage under water, by the book that is. That's why the CSN-T30 does 6D6 MD on on the surface, but 1D4x10 MD underwater with its micro-fusion torpedoes/grenades.

[img]x[/img]
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

NG-45 LP Long Pistol

I always take that, unless the GM says no.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

Triax TX-26 Particle Beam Pistol
They can't see me...Right!?
Dog_O_War
Champion

Updated the list.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Updated the list. Maybe I should include everyones' top two rifles next?
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.

Return to “Rifts®”