Telekinesis Used for Lock Picking?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Telekinesis Used for Lock Picking?

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

Hi, I have Searched the site, and cannot find an answer to this idea/question: "Can a Psychic, who has the Lock Pick Skill, use TK to pick locks?"

Well?
1) Is it possible?
2) If so, what bonus/penalty to the Skill Roll(%)?
3) Reason for your answer(please).

Thank you, Gared Battlespike.
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Isn't TK limited to line of sight?
If it is, then the internal workings of a lock (im assuming a mechanical key type lock) are off limits for TK.
However if the psychic is using telekinesis to maniuplate lock picking tools, then I'd allow it, assiging a 15% penalty. IRL lockpicking requires a sense of touch whice you lose using telekinesis. DOn't ask me why a buddy o mine is a locksmith and he finds it much easier to use his tools without gloves, says he has an easier time when he can "feel things".

GL :D
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Telekinesis Used for Lock Picking?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

GaredBattlespike wrote:Hi, I have Searched the site, and cannot find an answer to this idea/question: "Can a Psychic, who has the Lock Pick Skill, use TK to pick locks?"

Well?
1) Is it possible?
2) If so, what bonus/penalty to the Skill Roll(%)?
3) Reason for your answer(please).

Thank you, Gared Battlespike.

1. No.
2. N/A.
3. TK doesn't have a sense of touch, so you can't feel what you're doing, and you can't see the pins in order to work them (not without specialized equipment).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

telekinetic lockpicking

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

How about ectoplasm(which, I believe does grant a sense of touch?) Another possibility that occurred to me: what if you used Telemechanics to "read" the lock and develop an intimate knowledge of its inner workings?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: telekinetic lockpicking

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Captain Shiva wrote:How about ectoplasm(which, I believe does grant a sense of touch?) Another possibility that occurred to me: what if you used Telemechanics to "read" the lock and develop an intimate knowledge of its inner workings?

Ectoplasm, when a solid form, can't get small enough to manipulate locks (limited to the size of a quarter). When in vapor, it's not strong enough (a few ounces), except for very delicate locks.

Of course, the BTS2 psychic power Open Lock will do it, no problem.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Telekinesis Used for Lock Picking?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
1. No.
2. N/A.
3. TK doesn't have a sense of touch, so you can't feel what you're doing, and you can't see the pins in order to work them (not without specialized equipment).

1) KC is correct
2) KC is correct
3 Becasue all the TK powers are Line of Sight powers. (ie: you have to see what you are manipulating.)

If your char has not x-ray vision, then you can not move what is inside something.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
livewire
Wanderer

difficult

Unread post by livewire »

i used to be a locksmith and it would be quite difficult to pick a lock without being able to feel the what position the pins are in. if a psi was using tk to manipulate the picking tools i would give a fairly large penalty to their skill roll such as negitive 30% to 50% for the lack of being able to feel the lock this is a fairly important thing when picking a lock
the world would be a better place if more people played rpg's lol
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

OK, everyone. I hear the concensus is that by itself, TK cannot be used as lock picks and that what I wanted to know.

As to Ectoplasm, I'll have to look that up, but agree that Telemechanics would be a HUGE help!

Again, thank you.

GaredBattlespike, Fan of the Megaverse.
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

GaredBattlespike wrote:OK, everyone. I hear the concensus is that by itself, TK cannot be used as lock picks and that what I wanted to know.

As to Ectoplasm, I'll have to look that up, but agree that Telemechanics would be a HUGE help!

Again, thank you.

GaredBattlespike, Fan of the Megaverse.

Actually, I would say telekinesis WOULD be able to pick a lock, provided the char knows how a lock works. I mean, yea, it's my sight, but if you have the schematics in your head and you close your eyes right in front of the lock, then you are going by mental sight. So, yea, I would allow it and have allowed it. Especially if you are using astral projection at the same time.

Another thing, I would say that ectoplasm would DEFINATLY unlock a lock, without the lock picking skill. Anyone ever hear about Bump Keys?
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

hey dont forget those lockpick guns. all you have to do is stick the tool end into the lock and rapidly pull the trigger till the lock opens. could prolly do that with tk. depends on the setting though. obviously not going to happen in a fantasy game...and actually in rifts it might not either. wouldnt most locks at that point be electronic?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Telekinesis only works if the target is clearly visible.
Picturing it in your head, no matter how accurately, doesn't count.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

verdilak
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:Telekinesis only works if the target is clearly visible.

Then look inside the lock with a magnifying glass. All you need to see are the pins to push them up.

I still say that I GM it the way I do, since it makes sense. You dont even NEED a lock picking skill, all you need is a bump key.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

verdilak wrote:

Then look inside the lock with a magnifying glass. All you need to see are the pins to push them up.

You'll need a flashlight too, but yeah; that would work.

demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Sorry Verdilak, but picking a lock is considerably more complicated than just pushing the pins up. Above the tumblers (pins in the cyliner) are wafers (smaller, flat pieces) and springs. The springs and wafers push down on the pins and when the wafers/pins are all flush with the top of the cylinder you can turn the lock. Even with the best magnifying optics in existance today you can't see the wafers from outside the lock so you'll need some sort of x-ray vision to make this work. Neither TK nor ectoplasm would be able to pick a lock, nor would telemechanics by itself, though TM possession and/or operation would do the trick.

For something like a car door it's worse still for attempting to open the locks with TK since there's no way to actually see the 'pins'. To make matters worse, the pins are an entirely different design than what's used in 'normal' locks and they have to line up on both sides of the cyliner before it will turn.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
verdilak
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:
verdilak wrote:

You'll need a flashlight too, but yeah; that would work.

Yea, or nightvision heh
verdilak
Adventurer

demos606 wrote:Sorry Verdilak, but picking a lock is considerably more complicated than just pushing the pins up. Above the tumblers (pins in the cyliner) are wafers (smaller, flat pieces) and springs. The springs and wafers push down on the pins and when the wafers/pins are all flush with the top of the cylinder you can turn the lock. Even with the best magnifying optics in existance today you can't see the wafers from outside the lock so you'll need some sort of x-ray vision to make this work. Neither TK nor ectoplasm would be able to pick a lock, nor would telemechanics by itself, though TM possession and/or operation would do the trick.

For something like a car door it's worse still for attempting to open the locks with TK since there's no way to actually see the 'pins'. To make matters worse, the pins are an entirely different design than what's used in 'normal' locks and they have to line up on both sides of the cyliner before it will turn.

Astral Projection and Telekinesis. And picking locks are not hard at all, especially if you have a bump key. 15 seconds and you are in.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

insert TK force and expand. pushes all the tumbles out of the way. turn the force and lock is open.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:insert TK force and expand. pushes all the tumbles out of the way. turn the force and lock is open.

The Telekinesis power doesn't create force like that; it only allows you to move visible objects.

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Seriously whats wrong with just using TK (or ectoplasm) to manipulate lock picking tools? No line of sight issues, just assign a penalty and move on.

No tools? Try TK to rip the lock off. If that can't do it, you may be SOL as far as psionics go.
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Killer Cyborg
Priest

asajosh wrote:Seriously whats wrong with just using TK (or ectoplasm) to manipulate lock picking tools? No line of sight issues, just assign a penalty and move on.

TK doesn't convey sense of touch.

No tools? Try TK to rip the lock off. If that can't do it, you may be SOL as far as psionics go.

:ok:

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
asajosh wrote:Seriously whats wrong with just using TK (or ectoplasm) to manipulate lock picking tools? No line of sight issues, just assign a penalty and move on.

Hence the penalty for the lock pick attempt. Maybe I was too generous with only a -15% penalty. Maybe a -35% penalty is more appropriate.
Carl

Killer Cyborg
Priest

asajosh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Hence the penalty for the lock pick attempt. Maybe I was too generous with only a -15% penalty. Maybe a -35% penalty is more appropriate.

At least.

Even sticking a pick on the end of a pole would give you some sensation of what the pick is doing, but TK doesn't give any at all.

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Even sticking a pick on the end of a pole would give you some sensation of what the pick is doing, but TK doesn't give any at all.

LOL I can just imagine a jail break scenario that requires the use of a pole :D
Carl

demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

What's wrong with just using TK to blast the door off it's hinges to begin with? Use the power the way it's meant to be used and quit screwin around already :P
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

demos606 wrote:

What's wrong with just using TK to blast the door off it's hinges to begin with? Use the power the way it's meant to be used and quit screwin around already :P

Exactly! Finese is for brain surgeons and ballet dancers! :ok:
Carl

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

gadrin wrote:
Captain Shiva wrote:How about ectoplasm(which, I believe does grant a sense of touch?) Another possibility that occurred to me: what if you used Telemechanics to "read" the lock and develop an intimate knowledge of its inner workings?

Telemechanics would be huge boost as you could tell where the tumblers are, but it's almost impossible for the average psychic to do two powers at the same time. I'd probably allow Ectoplasm though, and use Telemech in between.

Telemechanics should let you know the combo of safes (old time safes), just by interfacing with them. New fangled ones with electronics might be tougher, especially those with time locks, unless you have the Telemech Ops or Possession too.

The Machine Man RCC from Phase World, could probably overcome either type (safe or lock), just by machine melding with them and controlling them.

without rereading the telemechanics power, i'd say old style analog mechanisms like dial based combination locks and key locks would be very hard if not impossible to read using telemechanics.

at the most, you'd be able to find out the exact type of lock mechanism, but you would not be able to read the combination or know where the tumblers are. one of those "just a little too simple" problems. :)

using the power on electrical or digital based ones might get you the code though. a bit more complex, thus easier to read.

but i may just be biased towards the idea that telemechanics is a psychic adaption to high technology, and that primitive stuff relying entirely on gears and springs is just 'below the threshold' for the powers use.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
gadrin wrote:

Telemechanics would be huge boost as you could tell where the tumblers are, but it's almost impossible for the average psychic to do two powers at the same time. I'd probably allow Ectoplasm though, and use Telemech in between.

Telemechanics should let you know the combo of safes (old time safes), just by interfacing with them. New fangled ones with electronics might be tougher, especially those with time locks, unless you have the Telemech Ops or Possession too.

The Machine Man RCC from Phase World, could probably overcome either type (safe or lock), just by machine melding with them and controlling them.

without rereading the telemechanics power, i'd say old style analog mechanisms like dial based combination locks and key locks would be very hard if not impossible to read using telemechanics.

at the most, you'd be able to find out the exact type of lock mechanism, but you would not be able to read the combination or know where the tumblers are. one of those "just a little too simple" problems. :)

using the power on electrical or digital based ones might get you the code though. a bit more complex, thus easier to read.

but i may just be biased towards the idea that telemechanics is a psychic adaption to high technology, and that primitive stuff relying entirely on gears and springs is just 'below the threshold' for the powers use.
But GB, the telemechanics psi-power in HU2, Rifts, Nightbane and everywhere else it is mentioned, says that it is effective on bicycles. No electronics involved with bicycles.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Aye, it is called Telemechanics not Telelectronics ;)
Carl

Killer Cyborg
Priest

You can use Telemechanics on a wedge, or an inclined plane; it works on any machine.

It wouldn't do you much good, but you could do it.

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Killer Cyborg wrote:You can use Telemechanics on a wedge, or an inclined plane; it works on any machine.

What about solid state electronics? No moving parts so nothing to make "work", as definded by physiscs, easier... only electrons moving.

Is a lamp a machine? How about a SSDP LASER?

It all boils down to what you consider a "machine".

When I think machine I think "moving parts" not resisted electron flow or electronics... unless they have moving parts.

I play the telemechanics more as teletechnology, where technology is anything created to perform a function, than as actual tele(thingswithmovingparts)mechanics. This is to say that the item have to "perform a function" ie actively do something. Things like couches are created and they serve a purpose but they don't really "do" anything other than sit there waiting to be sat on.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:You can use Telemechanics on a wedge, or an inclined plane; it works on any machine.

What about solid state electronics? No moving parts so nothing to make "work", as definded by physiscs, easier... only electrons moving.

When I think machine I think "moving parts" not resisted electron flow or electronics... unless they have moving parts.

I play the telemechanics more as teletechnology, where technology is anything created to perform a function, than as actual tele(thingswithmovingparts)mechanics. This is to say that the item have to "perform a function" ie actively do something. Things like couches are created and they serve a purpose but they don't really "do" anything other than sit there waiting to be sat on.

Well, technically your logic is fine. According to canon, however, Telemechanics (operation, paralysis, etc) function on computers/electronics just fine.
Carl

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:

The power says nothing about requiring moving parts.

Yes.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/machine
1. an apparatus consisting of interrelated parts with separate functions, used in the performance of some kind of work: a sewing machine.
2. a mechanical apparatus or contrivance; mechanism.
3. Mechanics.
a. a device that transmits or modifies force or motion.
b. Also called simple machine. any of six or more elementary mechanisms, as the lever, wheel and axle, pulley, screw, wedge, and inclined plane.
c. Also called complex machine. a combination of simple machines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine
The scientific definition of a machine is any device that transmits or modifies energy.

item have to "perform a function" ie actively do something. Things like couches are created and they serve a purpose but they don't really "do" anything other than sit there waiting to be sat on.

They don't really transmit or modify energy either, so they're not machines.

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

The power says nothing about requiring moving parts.
No but from what I know a machine requires the reduction of, or alteration of, force* to be considered a machine

Yes.

1. an apparatus consisting of interrelated parts with separate functions, used in the performance of some kind of work: a sewing machine.
3. Mechanics.
b. Also called simple machine. any of six or more elementary mechanisms, as the lever, wheel and axle, pulley, screw, wedge, and inclined plane.
c. Also called complex machine. a combination of simple machines

By all of those lamps and lasers are not machines.

The scientific definition of a machine is any device that transmits or modifies energy.
From what I learned in physics I don't think the scientific definition of machine is "any device that transmits or modifies energy". Its any device that transmits or modifies force*.

item have to "perform a function" ie actively do something. Things like couches are created and they serve a purpose but they don't really "do" anything other than sit there waiting to be sat on.

They don't really transmit or modify energy either, so they're not machines.
I never said they did, though they are technology of a sort.

However if you think about it they do transmit energy. You sit on a couch, it transmits the force of you body moving to the floor and stops your motion.

*Force being kenetic (ie mechanical) energy (push, pull, lift, etc) only.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Thinyser, don't over analyse the suffix mechanics
This is Rifts, not real life, sometimes you have to suspend logic :)
Just check the psi-power description. Telemech (and all its flavors) can effect computers and electronics. :D

And may I highly reccomend NOT getting into a symantic argument with Killer Cyborg? 1) on this one he's right. And 2) he's... well... KC, check that description about punching oncoming waves. The metaphor is pretty accurate. :P
Carl

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'm just saying that telemechanics shouldn't be able to give you the combination for mechanical locks. you might be able to 'see' the mechanism and understand how it works, but you can't just touch it and know how the exact combo. thats just a bit too powerful. now, you might be able to use TM while turning the tumblers or using picks, as a sort of replacement for the "ear to the lock" method, but even then, your looking at the use of the pick locks skill, maybe at a +10% bonus for the TM ability in use.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

asajosh wrote:Thinyser, don't over analyse the suffix mechanics
Just check the psi-power description. Telemech (and all its flavors) can effect computers and electronics. :D

And may I highly reccomend NOT getting into a symantic argument with Killer Cyborg? 1) on this one he's right. And 2) he's... well... KC, check that description about punching oncoming waves. The metaphor is pretty accurate. :P
Thats why I don't play it as telemechanics but rather as teletechnology ;)

It does work on non mechainical technology. I fully understand this and therefore think that the title of the power does not fully fit the descibed abilties. Machines require the reduction or alteration of force. Force being kenetic (ie mechanical) energy.

A lightbulb is not a machine but telemchanics will still tell the user what a lightbulb's components are and what they do. Teletechnology is a better term IMO.

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Agreed the name is a little mis-leading.
Carl

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

For TK, I'd allow it with tools at a probably 45% penalty. I'd probably allow someone to use TK alone if they first hit it with Telemechanics

Ectoplasm I don't see a problem in using with tools.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I would allow a person to while actively using telemechanics to turn the handle/lock/whatever to know when the pins fall into place and therefor unlock the lock.

Of course then there is telemechanics operation, paralysis and possession.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:[quote="Killer Cyborg"It all boils down to what you consider a "machine".

3. Mechanics.
c. Also called complex machine. a combination of simple machines[/quote]
By all of those lamps and lasers are not machines.[/quote]

Lamps and lasers don't consist of interrelated parts with seperate functions, and they're not used in the performance of some kind of work?

They don't transmit or modify any sort of motion?
The photons emitted just sit there?

From what I learned in physics I don't think the scientific definition of machine is "any device that transmits or modifies energy". Its any device that transmits or modifies force*.

Perhaps you learned wrong.

However if you think about it they do transmit energy. You sit on a couch, it transmits the force of you body moving to the floor and stops your motion.

So do lamps.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:
asajosh wrote:Thinyser, don't over analyse the suffix mechanics

Thats why I don't play it as telemechanics but rather as teletechnology ;)

It does work on non mechainical technology. I fully understand this and therefore think that the title of the power does not fully fit the descibed abilties. Machines require the reduction or alteration of force. Force being kenetic (ie mechanical) energy.

A lightbulb is not a machine but telemchanics will still tell the user what a lightbulb's components are and what they do. Teletechnology is a better term IMO.

Language is arguably a technology.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lamps and lasers don't consist of interrelated parts with seperate functions, and they're not used in the performance of some kind of work?
No the dont do mechanical work as defined by science.

For all intenets an purposes they do not no. Yes they project photons but theses do not perform mechanical work.

wiki wrote:In physics, mechanical work is the amount of energy transferred by a force. Like energy, it is a scalar quantity, with SI units of joules. Heat conduction is not considered to be a form of work, since there is no macroscopically measurable force, only microscopic forces occurring in atomic collisions. In the 1830s, the French mathematician Gaspard-Gustave Coriolis coined the term work for the product of force and distance.

So since photons interact on the atomic level and not on a macromeasurable scale they despite the ability to illuminate or burn things do not do mechanical work.

Perhaps but the definition of mechanical work supports these things NOT being machines.

So do lamps.
Yes they do but lamps dont do mechanical work so they are not machines they are devices... and I dont consider a couch as a machine as it would be at most a simple machine and it doesn't meet the requrement of lowering the force required to accomplish some form of mechanical work so it doesn't qualify to be even a simple machine.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Lamps and lasers don't consist of interrelated parts with seperate functions, and they're not used in the performance of some kind of work?

For all intenets an purposes they do not no. Yes they project photons but theses do not perform mechanical work.

wiki wrote:In physics, mechanical work is the amount of energy transferred by a force. Like energy, it is a scalar quantity, with SI units of joules. Heat conduction is not considered to be a form of work, since there is no macroscopically measurable force, only microscopic forces occurring in atomic collisions. In the 1830s, the French mathematician Gaspard-Gustave Coriolis coined the term work for the product of force and distance.

So since photons interact on the atomic level and not on a macromeasurable scale they despite the ability to illuminate or burn things do not do mechanical work.

Touche.

Perhaps but the definition of mechanical work supports these things NOT being machines.[/quote]

But the above definition of "Machine" does.

So do lamps.

Yes they do but lamps dont do mechanical work so they are not machines they are devices...[/quote]

You've obviously never beaten somebody with a lamp.
They're quite capable of mechanical work. :)

and I dont consider a couch as a machine as it would be at most a simple machine and it doesn't meet the requrement of lowering the force required to accomplish some form of mechanical work so it doesn't qualify to be even a simple machine.

I tend to agree with that.
On the other hand, couches have springs; are springs simple machines?

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Lamps and lasers don't consist of interrelated parts with seperate functions, and they're not used in the performance of some kind of work?

Touche.

Perhaps but the definition of mechanical work supports these things NOT being machines.

But the above definition of "Machine" does.
What I've learned and what I know of mechanical work disagrees with such a broad definition of machine.

So do lamps.

Yes they do but lamps dont do mechanical work so they are not machines they are devices...

Har har... so is a stick... when used as a lever its a machine, when burned for light and heat it is not.

and I dont consider a couch as a machine as it would be at most a simple machine and it doesn't meet the requrement of lowering the force required to accomplish some form of mechanical work so it doesn't qualify to be even a simple machine.

I tend to agree with that.
On the other hand, couches have springs; are springs simple machines?
Possibly, though IMO it would have to be used as a screw (inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder) to be considered one.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:What I've learned and what I know of mechanical work disagrees with such a broad definition of machine.

What do you think the writers intended when they wrote the power, for it to work on lamps, or not?

Har har... so is a stick... when used as a lever its a machine, when burned for light and heat it is not.

Agreed.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:What I've learned and what I know of mechanical work disagrees with such a broad definition of machine.

What do you think the writers intended when they wrote the power, for it to work on lamps, or not?

Lamps, and all sorts of electronics yes. I've stated multiple times in this thread that I think that the name Telemachanics is not apt for the power. The power is fine as is, but the name doesn't fit the power. Thats the only issue I take with the power.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Lamps, and all sorts of electronics yes. I've stated multiple times in this thread that I think that the name Telemachanics is not apt for the power. The power is fine as is, but the name doesn't fit the power. Thats the only issue I take with the power.

Eh.
Fair enough.
People commonly think of lamps as machines, even when they're not used to hit people, so I don't really agree with you.
But it's not like I'm never nit-picky about things...

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Eh.
Fair enough.
People commonly think of lamps as machines, even when they're not used to hit people, so I don't really agree with you.
Really? You think the majority of people think of lamps as machines? :-?
I really don't see the average person thinking that at all... lasers maybe, but lamps not so much.

I think most people think of machines as things that involve motion and/or moving parts (electric motors, gears, wheels, etc) to perform their function.

I really don't see people thinking of say, an oven, as a machine. Yes it has moving parts (the door the dials etc) but these are not the function of the device. If you think about it a lamp is very akin to an oven... one just contains the EM radiation inside to cook with and one shines it outward for illuminaiton. The switch is a moving part but not the function of the device its function is to project light. The door and dials on an oven are not necessary for the oven to cook, all that is needed is the heat the oven produces.

Things like washing machines (well duh its in the name) and clothes dryers (very similar to an oven but requres mechanical actions of blown air and tumbling to perform its job) are what people think of as machines.

But it's not like I'm never nit-picky about things...
:lol:

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:People commonly think of lamps as machines, even when they're not used to hit people, so I don't really agree with you.
I really don't see the average person thinking that at all... lasers maybe, but lamps not so much.

I think most people think of machines as things that involve motion and/or moving parts (electric motors, gears, wheels, etc) to perform their function.

I think most people don't differentiate between machines and electronic devices.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:People commonly think of lamps as machines, even when they're not used to hit people, so I don't really agree with you.

I think most people don't differentiate between machines and electronic devices.

So you honestly believe that most people would look at a TV or a lamp or an oven and if asked to classify it as either a "machine" or a "electronic device" would, as their first reaction, think "machine"?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”