Why do Aleans use energy weapons?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Why do Aleans use energy weapons?

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Energy weapons in HU do about the same damage as guns and
in some cases worse damage so why do Aleans bother using
them?

1. Cheapness- Energy weapons can be recharged essentially for
free, a ships engens provide more then enough energy to provide
essentially limitless ammo. Essentally per shot the cost of a bullet
is going to be a lot more expensive then the cost of a energy weapon
shot.

2. Space- Space ships can only hold so much cargo, and for a
merchent ship with limited room that Cargo space means money.
A room filled with bullets for your arms can better be used for
money making cargo then spare ammo that sits there and does
not turn a profit.

3. Effect- In space the worst thing that can happen is you blow a
hole into your ship, when you have big holes in your ship you lose
breathable air, reasources, and the cargo your trying to transport,
and maby even your lives. When your fighting off the lastest batch
of space pirats blowing up your own ship makes little sense.

For these reasons Space fairing peoples use less effective energy
weapons some times the most effective weapon is not the best
weapon.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

It also helps to have a few moving parts as possible to reduce the amount of wear and tear on an item. An Energy Pistol would have a lot fewer then an automatic pistol would. Granted they may balance out with the fact that it's easier to repair/replace parts in a slug thrower, then it would be to make a new circuit board for an energy pistol.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Another possibility is that gunpowder based explosives may not work in some atmospheres where energy weapons will.

Slug throwers may be considered inhumane. Energy weapons are used because they leave clean holes and cauterize the wounds instead of the injuries from slug throwers. Sort of the same reason why full metal jackets are used instead of other rounds during war.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The Zero G recoil is a problem that for some reason I thought had already been mentioned. As for altered chemical makeup for the propellant, I agree that it wouldn't be that difficult, but would probably need different mixes for different situations.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Energy ammo is more environmentally friendly also. Energy can dissipate whereas ammo leaves residue and slugs. There is also the aspect of being less traceable when committing a crime. No bullet, no evidence. :-P
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unkledak wrote:You know, I do not believe the environmental friendliness of a firearm has ever being discussed before, consider yourself a trend setter :lol:

Oh, I do. :lol:
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Baron vonClogg wrote:I'm not sure that incinerating your environment with an energy weapon should be considered "environmentally friendly." :)

Maybe not, but at least there is less debris from the weaponry itself.
I do not think "friendly" and "weapon" go in the same sentence very often in general. As in, "He had a nice, friendly nuclear missile." :lol:
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

You lost me.. why are lasers radioactive?
(Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Daniel Stoker wrote:You lost me.. why are lasers radioactive?

Daniel Stoker

some people dont know that there are several types of radiation
including Microwave, radio, and others that dont cause Radiation
poisioning or adversly affect the environment
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Slug-Throwers: will always be superior due to a couple thing.
1. Better damage: A slug tearing throw a body causes massive trauma. A laser burns threw in a micro-second or less very little trauma.
2. Cheaper: chemical propellants are cheap even a solid fuel that is ignited by electricity like O2 so to be used in no atmosphere are cheaper. The super conductors, lenses, and exotic materials used in making an energy weapon will always cost then there is the power supply..
3. Out put Versus input: Slug throwers give you tremendous out put for little input. With an energy weapons the best you can hope for is even money...
4. Simplicity...A slug thrower is infantry proof. meaning a grunt in the field with a very little training can repair one..An energy weapon well...
Energy weapon are used in games cause they are neat. But they aren't that effective...
(edit for spelling)
Last edited by Blight on Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Daniel Stoker

I do not think that the residue is harmful. The heat of a laser is what is radiated and burns, but once emitted dissipates. The damage is the pain you feel as your arm is seared off, not any residual after effects. :-P
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Blight wrote:Slug-Throwers: will always be superior due to a couple thing.
1. Better damage: A slug tearing throw a body causes massive trauma. A laser burns threw in a micro-second or less very little trauma.
2. Cheaper: chemical propellants are cheap even a solid fuel that is ignited by electricity like O2. The super conductors, lenses, and exotic materials used in making an energy weapon will always cost then there is the power supply..
3. Out put Versus input: Slug throwers give you tremendous out put for little input. With an energy weapons the best you can hope for is even money...
4. Simplicity...A slug thrower is infantry proof. meaning a grunt in the field with a very little training can repair one..An energy weapon well...
Energy weapon are used in games cause the are neat. But they aren't that effective...

Well, not yet, anyway. This is futuristic fiction we are talking about, though, not reality by any stretch of the imagination.
Blight
Champion

Unread post by Blight »

Your right Stone Gargoyle, What can i say i really like guns that go bang :lol:
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

(Blight
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:08 pm Post subject:
Your right Stone Gargoyle, What can i say i really like guns that go bang)

I think one of the rifts books says that some of the arms manufactures add the sounds from old movies to up sales :D so guns that make sounds are better
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Blight wrote:Your right Stone Gargoyle, What can i say i really like guns that go bang :lol:

As do I, which is why I wish somone could come up with small handheld rocket launchers that spark and let out a huge bang when you shoot. :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Whiz Kid wrote:Q: Why do aliens use energy weapons?

A: Because they look cool doing it.

Granted, that reason doesn't fit in-game, but the fact of the matter is that energy weapons fit most people's idea of weapons that technologically advanced peoples from distant planets would carry. The general populace expects that when an alien unloads his firearm, he's going to use some form of laser, not hot lead. People can get bullets in anything set on Earth in a modern setting, they don't need aliens for that. However, if you want energy blasts in a modern setting, that's when the aliens show up.

Think about it. If one of the aliens in War of the Worlds started unloading a .50 cal, would a majority of the audience find it 'believable'?

That is the differentiation aspect. Star Trek did a bit of that by having Klingons use ancient melee weapons predominantly in the newer series and having Ferenghi use particle throwing whips. The idea is that development between species might go identically and to avoid boredom with the generic nature of having everyone with the same weapons.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:(Blight
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:08 pm Post subject:
Your right Stone Gargoyle, What can i say i really like guns that go bang)

I think one of the rifts books says that some of the arms manufactures add the sounds from old movies to up sales :D so guns that make sounds are better

Yes, that seems to be one of the things that makes guns attractive to the consumer. Tiny guns with little noise have never been as popular as big guns with a booming effect. 8)
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Aliens and Energy weapons

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Yopu fgorget one important point, energy weapons have less "kick" than physical weapons. In zero gravity, fighting with bullets will throw you back who knows how far.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Unkledak wrote:You know, I do not believe the environmental friendliness of a firearm has ever being discussed before, consider yourself a trend setter :lol:

Nope, it's been thought of before. The US military actually spends a fair amount of money cleaning up spent lead after their live fire exercises, and are looking into using ammo that doesn't use lead cores. You can also buy shotgun ammo that doesn't use lead, so that fish and ducks won't get sick from contact with spent pellets.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

Don't forget to take into account the level of civility. Lasers cleanly cauterize the wound when hit. Bullets tear massive chunks out and remain lodged inside. I wouldn't be surprised if there were Geneva style conventions against bullets.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

kamikazzijoe wrote:Don't forget to take into account the level of civility. Lasers cleanly cauterize the wound when hit. Bullets tear massive chunks out and remain lodged inside. I wouldn't be surprised if there were Geneva style conventions against bullets.

It would be an interesting topic to be legislated by lawmakers in the gaming universe, providing those ever necessary news blurbs the characters come across now and then. :-P
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Lord Cherico wrote:

Daniel Stoker

some people dont know that there are several types of radiation
including Microwave, radio, and others that dont cause Radiation
poisioning or adversly affect the environment

Thermal Radiation is basically Heat.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

ACTually the ARmed forces beat him to it.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”