Anybody else got butterflys?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you get nervous before you run a game.

Yup, everytime
38%
Nope, Never
21%
Once in awhile
42%

Total votes: 24

Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

Always. But I don't know if my vote counts, since I get nervous doing just about anything out of the ordinary.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I don't tend to be nervous before GM'ing, because I look at it just like going on stage...

The audience (players) doesn't know what is "right" or "wrong," they only know what you tell them. If you are confidant, and go about your business in a straight-forward manner, they won't know if you've strayed from the "script" a little bit.

I don't think you need to worry about being judged. Those of us flying to the Open House to come game are doing so because we love Palladium and love gaming. We understand Con games might be a little rough, or a little wild, because they're one-off's with unknown groups. That's ok! Make it fun, and people will have a good time.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Re: Anybody else got butterflys?

Unread post by Xar »

Ninjabunny wrote:Ok this is just a Quick Question to everyone going who's running a game, Are you nervous at all?
This is my first Convention and it's my first time Running a game at a Convention. I have my game thought out Pre-gens ready but I'm still alittle worried it's going to flop like a pancake on a hot grill. That some real pro's are going to sit down and pick my bones clean. This may just be nerves but does anyone else get this way or fell this way? :?

~Sorry to bug anybody. :)

Look, last year, I was scared to death that I didn't know enough to even play with other people at the Open House. I mean, I was rusty as all get out, and I was worried that I wouldn't remember rules, etc.
Then, bam! My first game was run by Julius Rosenstein. This is the guy who introduced Kevin Siembieda to rpgs. :erm: Flop sweat time.
Turns out, Julius is awesome! Duh!

I really think I did just fine. I had a great time. I think that everybody that I played with had a good time. I did ask to make a "spot check" once in Braden, GM PhD's game, but no one beat me. We just had a little laugh and it was cool.

In Dark Brandon's BTS game, I got to watch Ed (whose last name escapes me--he wrote the Castlerake adventure in The Rifter) heroically die, saving the world. That was about the finest role playing I've ever seen.

Of course, this year, I'm running a game and it's flop sweat time again. Main goal: Have a good time!
Secondary goal: try and not call for a "spot check."
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Hehe, nothing like pulling out the old-school terms, eh?

I've been grinning on-and-off of late, because the game I'm running includes good ol' stuff like rolling 1D3 or 1D5 :-D
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Xar wrote:In Dark Brandon's BTS game, I got to watch Ed (whose last name escapes me--he wrote the Castlerake adventure in The Rifter) heroically die, saving the world. That was about the finest role playing I've ever seen.

That was probably the sweetest moment I've ever had in a game, both as player and DM. EVAR.

No, I don't get nervous. I just think to myself "I'm the biggest, baddest mofo around. I eat children and I don't even care. What's the worst that could happen to me? nothing...therefor I have nothing to be afraid of." then I finish eating the baby.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

dark brandon wrote:No, I don't get nervous. I just think to myself "I'm the biggest, baddest mofo around. I eat children and I don't even care. What's the worst that could happen to me? nothing...therefor I have nothing to be afraid of." then I finish eating the baby.

Your contact lenses help ::grins::

That was you, wasn't it?
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

If I am a bit nervous it is only only because a) I'm running three games this year instead of one (one main game, one after-hours game, and one Friday night pre-Open House game), and b) I might have set the bar too high last year, and now I feel that I have to deliver the same quality of game if not better my previous efforts.

This overtly-long sentence brought to you by....
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Braden, GMPhD wrote: I might have set the bar too high last year

It's ok...I'm really short.
~Xar~

Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

I get a little nervous every time, that little bit of self doubt that the game will suck and the players will not have a good time. Play testing and being prepared will help make that go away. Some times not being totally prepared keeps you from having any time to be nervous but that is another story. Just remember to have fun and your players will too!
Kythis
Wanderer

Unread post by Kythis »

Every time a run a game for an entirely new group of people I get really nervous or say there's a couple or more new players joining my gaming group I'll get a little nervous too. Once I establish a gaming group I'm no longer nervous, mainly because I already have an idea of there expectations.
Your Fellow PFRPGM "D"

{Let them come, let them come in hoards, army hoards of the hundreds, NO thousands! They shal know my might and bow before the ever capable Felthric. For I have shaven my dogs buttucks an taught him to fart while walking backwards and as such their doom is evident. (The last recorded words of the first Ludicris Mage to enter the Land of the Damned.)}
dark brandon
Knight

J. Lionheart wrote:
dark brandon wrote:No, I don't get nervous. I just think to myself "I'm the biggest, baddest mofo around. I eat children and I don't even care. What's the worst that could happen to me? nothing...therefor I have nothing to be afraid of." then I finish eating the baby.

Your contact lenses help ::grins::

That was you, wasn't it?

Yep.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Kythis
Wanderer

Unread post by Kythis »

Xar wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:Ok this is just a Quick Question to everyone going who's running a game, Are you nervous at all?
This is my first Convention and it's my first time Running a game at a Convention. I have my game thought out Pre-gens ready but I'm still alittle worried it's going to flop like a pancake on a hot grill. That some real pro's are going to sit down and pick my bones clean. This may just be nerves but does anyone else get this way or fell this way? :?

~Sorry to bug anybody. :)

Look, last year, I was scared to death that I didn't know enough to even play with other people at the Open House. I mean, I was rusty as all get out, and I was worried that I wouldn't remember rules, etc.
Then, bam! My first game was run by Julius Rosenstein. This is the guy who introduced Kevin Siembieda to rpgs. :erm: Flop sweat time.
Turns out, Julius is awesome! Duh!

I really think I did just fine. I had a great time. I think that everybody that I played with had a good time. I did ask to make a "spot check" once in Braden, GM PhD's game, but no one beat me. We just had a little laugh and it was cool.

In Dark Brandon's BTS game, I got to watch Ed (whose last name escapes me--he wrote the Castlerake adventure in The Rifter) heroically die, saving the world. That was about the finest role playing I've ever seen.

Of course, this year, I'm running a game and it's flop sweat time again. Main goal: Have a good time!
Secondary goal: try and not call for a "spot check."

OK, lets talk about nervousness. I've already posted that I get nervous when I run a game for a new group or new people and that's pretty much the only time. Well new CON groups is even worst because these people are like me an avid gamer and they all well almost all of them with the exception of some beginner friends that happen to come along know what a really good game is and so there lies all of the pressure I'm feeling. I'm a good GM well at least that's what I've been told and I've picked some of my best plots to run but I'm overseas right now and won't be back to, my books, the states until some time early April. Which is why I am so nervous. I don't know if I am going to have the time to put together the caliber of game I need for all 4 PF games I plan to run. Even if I do get it all together in time at the level I want it will they even get my style of gaming or will it still be a flop? If it is you know no one is going to say anything after all they're all veterans they know that some games are good :D , some are bad :demon: and some (ARE UGLY :-x just had to say it.) just aren't their liking. Yes, I said they're veterans and so they should most of them get my style after all they've already experienced a lot of different styles. Well, I like puzzles an riddles and most of my players don't get them. I find myself having my players roll an I.Q. check (With my mods that's possible.) for their characters until one of them figures it out which usually ends up taking some time and becomes a buzz kill for most of them but there's always one that wanted to take even more time to figure it out without even rolling or any more hints than one and feels let down. Now, I just wait for the slightest bit of boredom in a players face and then start dropping hints to the highest I.Q. down which waste the whole reason for even having the mental challenge in the first place but keeps the momentum of the game going. Trust me my riddles and puzzles are not a labyrinth, they're simple. I've even challenged nongames with them and they've figured them out so then I invite them to play but they never do. I've been GMing on and off for 20 years now. You would think that I'ld be over getting stress but this is probably the most stressed about GMing I've ever been. Last but not least reverting back. I haven't ran a single game of Palladium Fantasy unhighly modified and house ruled up in years and getting back into the swing of core PF is just adding to the stress.
Whatever advice anyone could spare would be helpful.
Please don't say picture them naked. I'm a sexual person and mite pop tent. :shock: :quiet:
Your Fellow PFRPGM "D"

{Let them come, let them come in hoards, army hoards of the hundreds, NO thousands! They shal know my might and bow before the ever capable Felthric. For I have shaven my dogs buttucks an taught him to fart while walking backwards and as such their doom is evident. (The last recorded words of the first Ludicris Mage to enter the Land of the Damned.)}
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

My best suggestion for anyone with GM jitters is to run whatever you have planned for the Open House without your own home group as a one-shot and get their feedback.

If you can't arrange a one-shot, get a sit down with one of your friends and have them go over the pre-gen characters and discuss the plot of the adventure. See if they pick up on any issues. It will help to vocalize your game beforehand.

I have run 200+ games at conventions (25 years x avg 3 cons per year x avg 3 games per con) and I still like to do a double-check. I am little jittery about the Open House because I have never run a Palladium game where everyone at the table are people highly experienced with the actual game. It should be interesting...and great fun.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Here's the flip side to being nervous about running a good game.

Most, if not all players are knowledgeable and are probably GMs also. They want a good game. So, everyone works together better, because everyone understands how gaming dynamics work better than the average group.

I'm not going to charge into the thick of battle with my ley-line walker, because I know that the front line combat guys should go in first, and I support them. They guy playing the Juicer doesn't hang back and wait and see what someone else will do.

If your players know their roles better (which we do), then the game is better.
~Xar~

Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Yeah.

hell, I got up and left the table for a half an hour last year... and everything was still in one piece when I got back. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Sure do, but after a few minutes its just like riding a bike and I go onto GM mode. My Hades game at the open house last year had like 15 people! :eek: I've never ran that many people so I can't say how well I did. All the players were gracious in their praise so I'll just take it and be happy :)

Carl
ImageImage
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I get butterflies EVERY TIME. Then again, mostly that's because I'm making it all up as I go along nearly 100% of the time. :)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Autumns Fire wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:I get butterflies EVERY TIME. Then again, mostly that's because I'm making it all up as I go along nearly 100% of the time. :)

I do that quite a bit too. I always have trouble actually coming up with a compleate game and writing it all down. So I just come up with a main bad guy and go from there depending on what my players do.

Best way to do it, that way players don't feel railroaded, especially since doesn't matter if they head east, west, north, south, up, down or whatever, they will still run into that group of goblins/CS patrol/angry beastie that leads to the next plot point.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
dark brandon
Knight

it's also easier to know that everyone there is there to have fun and RP, not play rules-lawyers or make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Hell, I completely changed the way BTS classes worked (by not even using any BTS classes) and no one had a problem with it, like I said, for fun.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

I sometimes get nervous, but it is typically because A: there are new players involved and I want to put my best foot forward, or B: I'm not as prepared as what I would like (because I can't RELY on my ability to wing it). I'm nervous about the one this year after the fiasco last year (due to it being last-minute and communication snags with players), I'm striving to have stuff written well before-hand and plans in place ahead of time. At the same time, I have a bit of a reputation to uphold as a good GM (at least according to my players to date), especially since I have people like El Magico and Misfit as my players!
Thus, this year I am striving (despite an overloaded schedule) to run nothing short of an excellent game (possibly more if I decide to run a pick-up or two). So yeah, butterflies abound.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me

Return to “Palladium Open House”