Why do we let people bother us sometimes?

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Unread post by Kevin »

Well, I threw three hours of writing out the window today by addressing a thread on the message boards that I probably shouldn’t have even bothered with. But you know, sometimes you just have to get things off your chest.

The subject had to do with a fan feeling dissed by Mod and Staffer, Alex. So dissed that he’s never going to buy a Palladium product again and started a thread named something like, Why I won’t buy Palladium products anymore, or some such. I’ll probably have Wayne or Thom remove the entire thread in a few days because . . . what’s the point of such negativity. But it bugged me.

Everyone has worked so hard get Palladium back on its feet, and so many fans have helped us get there (man, we’ve accomplished so much), that it bugged the heck outta me to see someone saying Palladium’s staff doesn’t appreciate the fans. That’s just nuts. And especially to make that claim against a gent like Alex. Sheesh.

Ironically, it hardly ever bothers me when critics bash me, personally, and I’ve had some pretty of outrageous accusations leveled at me (I’m an insane, megalomaniac running Palladium into the ground, incase you didn’t know, and that’s one of the nicer accusations). I find most of it pretty funny and wild. The end.

This, however, stuck in my craw. Palladium has some of the kindest, most caring and dedicated people I have ever met. That includes many of our freelancers. Alex is constantly telling me nice things about fans, showing me e-mails, telling me their concerns or fears, and sending me links to take a peak at. That includes criticism and suggestions. Tell me that Alex, Wayne, NMI, Carl, Jason or a host of others are creeps who disdain our fans and I’ll tell you it just ain’t so.

I think part of the problem is that for waaay too long, I would completely ignore online haters and outspoken critics. Even ignoring outright lies and weird speculations. Consequently, when one of Palladium’s freelancers or staffers, or even Joe Fan speaks up (btw thank you for doing so), the haters get’s mad.

And that’s funny too. It’s like, “Hey I hate you and I’m gonna rag on you, cast aspersions and make wild speculation, and probably do so in a snide or accusatory tone, but how dare you challenge, question or condemn me for what I said!”

Huh? That’s silly. Especially when it's posted on the Palladium website. This is a place for “fans.” Folks who like and enjoy our books. Surprise, surprise, they may not agree and have something to say about it. Likewise, the moderators are likely to send a warning or make a comment when they think someone is getting too negative, snide or inappropriate.

What I just don’t understand is, if you really hate me that much or despise our products, then don’t buy the darn books and forget about us. Write us off and move on. I can think of a bunch of people and company’s whose work I don’t care for. Heck, there are people who I think are complete twerps, but I don’t go to their website and tell them how much they suck or how stupid their fans are for liking their products. I avoid their products, I don’t condemn them or point out all their faults. Sheesh.

Please don’t misunderstand, we welcome genuine and sincerely input, suggestions, and constructive criticism. I can’t fix a problem or improve our books, or even publish what people want to see without critical input, comments and suggestions. Surrounding yourself with yes men is a formula for destruction. Ah, but criticism doesn’t have to be confrontational, argumentative, snide or insulting. “You suck and let me tell you why,” isn’t going to be well received by anybody.

I know, its all human nature. So its time for me to shut up and get to writing a stinking book.

Thanks for letting me grumble and talk out loud a little.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, President, Writer and Deep Thinker :)
© January 16, 2007

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”