Warlock Abilities

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

That's because Shadow Warlocks are utterly different from palladium fantasy warlocks. dispite having the name, they are NOT related in any way, shape, or form.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Shadow Warlocks are WArlocks, but their element of Shadow has so little to do with the other elements that their abilities are vastly different.
This combined with the lack of a True Shadow Elemental means they lack the true elemental connection other Warlocks have.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

NS is right.

But,
If,
I was going to let him play a "shadow" warlock,create the warlock normally. However, they can only be linked to the 'shadow' element. (ie: no double elements) Then I would have him pick out the shadow magic spells found in the rifters. (see the rifter index in the rifter forum to see which ones you need to dig out of the shelf) As for summoning elemental abilities, they would work the same, but what they summoned would be Shadow Beasts instead of true elementals.

Sence we will, with almost certenty, never see Land of the Damded III with its shadow magic. This is probibly as close to an elemental style 'shadow warlock' mixing cannon and semi-cannon sorces.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty wrote:NS is right.

But,
If,
I was going to let him play a "shadow" warlock,create the warlock normally. However, they can only be linked to the 'shadow' element. (ie: no double elements) Then I would have him pick out the shadow magic spells found in the rifters. (see the rifter index in the rifter forum to see which ones you need to dig out of the shelf) As for summoning elemental abilities, they would work the same, but what they summoned would be Shadow Beasts instead of true elementals.

Sence we will, with almost certenty, never see Land of the Damded III with its shadow magic. This is probibly as close to an elemental style 'shadow warlock' mixing cannon and semi-cannon sorces.

Library of Bethrald has some Shadow Magic, but not a hell of a lot.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

there's a rifter 24? i think with even more shadow magic ( or was that 17"?) and shadow monsters for the shadow realms of the PFPRG world. ..
suffice to say, nightbanes Shadow warlocks are nothing of the sort.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Keeper of Shadows wrote:Thank you all for your comments. Nerdbane had the correct understanding of my inquiry. I would love to see how LOD 3 or Worlds of Warlock would have handled the shadow elementism, but alas, I fear all is lost for those twin hopes.

Now that I realize I should have been more clear on the topic in question, what "common" warlock abilities would you give to a Shadow Warlock to make them fit more into the PFRPG realm without unbalancing the game, if any. How would the other Warlocks react to Shadow Warlocks, considering they are the only Warlock without an opposing life sign?

I know none of this is covered in any conversion book or rules, so I am looking for pratical and entertaining ideas. Once again, thank you all for your time, patience, and help.

They need no warlock abilities to fit in the Palladium world. they are perfectly fine exsactly as is.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

gadrin wrote:
Keeper of Shadows wrote: How would the other Warlocks react to Shadow Warlocks, considering they are the only Warlock without an opposing life sign?

shock ? disbelief ?

since they're not like any other warlock known.

after a few demo-spells/talents then it might dawn on them what's up.

my guess is that they'd classify them as a typical mage and that's that.

They would not let them into to their group as a warlock. They wouldn't give him the curisey (and correctly so) that each warlock gives each other. He would be some sort of mystic to them, making up a new name for them.

This is beyond the question "how did the SW get his powers, if the powers are derived from time spent in the nightlands?" which need to be answerd by the player. (or GM....but that might be a good way for a GM to exclude the SW class from his non-Nightbane games).
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Keeper of Shadows wrote: Now that I realize I should have been more clear on the topic in question, what "common" warlock abilities would you give to a Shadow Warlock to make them fit more into the PFRPG realm without unbalancing the game, if any. How would the other Warlocks react to Shadow Warlocks, considering they are the only Warlock without an opposing life sign?

THey wouldn't think it's same deal, because despite his name, a Shadow Warlock ain't the same kind of dude as traditional warlocks. His magic doesn't have anything to do with tapping into the balance of elements that make up the world. He's just a spellcaster who, thanks to the fact that his world is linked to the supernaturally dark and nasty Nightlands, has been able to develop an affinity with darkness to the point where he can develop the same supernatural talents as a Nightbane. They might get upset about him calling himself a warlock (because as far as they're concerned, he ain't), but they're intuitively hip enough to nature's groove that they'll know right off the bat that his magic and their magic have nothing to do with each other.

EDIT
If anything, it's how the rest of the PFRPG setting treats him that might be a problem. If a wizard rocks up,smacks people around with shadow tentacles, and claims that his magic powers come from an innate affinity with darkness, he's probably gonna last all of ten seconds before everyone starts trying to burn him at the stake :)
Jedrious
Adventurer

Re: Warlock Abilities

Unread post by Jedrious »

Rider wrote:A lot of this confusion probably could have been avoided if the OCC had been called "Nightlands Mystic" or something like that.

The Shadow Mage in the rifter, on the other hand, is basically what we would expect in a shadow warlock. 'Mage' makes me think wizard/ley line walker type who can study and learn spells, isn't that what the HU equiv is called?

Thread-Necro much?
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

HU uses the terms "Wizard" or "Mystic Study" for Spell Casters.

The NB "Shadow Warlock" is not a true warlock or wizard in any sense of the meanings. NightTalent Users is the best term for them really.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
mastermesh
Wanderer

Unread post by mastermesh »

I know, I know, not supposed to talk about other games... but... uh.... sounds like you are wanting something like Obtenebration from World of Darkness... ;)

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkn ... querade%29

Return to “Nightbane®”