Conspiracy theory! Games Workshop rips off Rifts again!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

looking at them side by side they do look alot alike but the question is was it intentional and if so what can PB actually DO about it at this time?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I would say it's coincidence.

it's about a generic mecha design as you can get. it's not really origonal, inspiring, or particually interesting.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Um no. They look similar but not that similar. If anything the warhammer one looks better. I dont see any rip off here.
Pax Concord
D-Bee

Unread post by Pax Concord »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I would say it's coincidence.

it's about a generic mecha design as you can get. it's not really origonal, inspiring, or particually interesting.

Agreed. Both Warhammer and Rifts are pastiches of various genre fiction and media. They're both drinking from the same well. It's bound to happen.
-Pax
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Ever hear of "Generic Mecha Design"?

Well, your pictures pretty much epitomize it. of course they resemble something from palladium. They resemble a half dozen different models, simply because they're so bland.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Well if PB goes after GW for simularities then whoever made Guyver would have to go after PB for even stronger simularities in Splicers. Who cares if you like the game play it. Didn't Thumper's mother teach you anything? If you don't have anything nice to say...
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Marcantony
Adventurer

Zer0 Kay wrote:Well if PB goes after GW for simularities then whoever made Guyver would have to go after PB for even stronger simularities in Splicers. Who cares if you like the game play it. Didn't Thumper's mother teach you anything? If you don't have anything nice to say...

Or for that matter the predator lookalikes in aliens unlimited galaxy guide. And all the Gundam looking mecha in the Triax book..
Marcantony
Adventurer

Kikkoman wrote:It'd be coincidence if it was just one, but everything together adds up.

howabout...

(not 40k, this is a model from the 80's I think, by Studio Nue, the Macross people)
http://static.flickr.com/39/91464256_287d4be476_o.jpg

does it look like anything to you folks?

Yeah, like one of the mechs from Bubblegum Crisis and AD Police.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Marcantony wrote:
Kikkoman wrote:It'd be coincidence if it was just one, but everything together adds up.

howabout...

(not 40k, this is a model from the 80's I think, by Studio Nue, the Macross people)
http://static.flickr.com/39/91464256_287d4be476_o.jpg

does it look like anything to you folks?

Yeah, like one of the mechs from Bubblegum Crisis and AD Police.

It also has elements of the Predator, the Jaeger and the Flanker from Triax
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

will someone please shorten that damn link?

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I reccomend treading lightly. Copyright infringement is NASTY business, and Palladium could be dragged into court for years, not to mention shut down outright. In light of what happened recently, if Kev hasn't sufficient cause & evidence, let's not go there
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

You know... there are only a finite number of ways to draw/design a robot, tank, space fighter, or whatever...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:will someone please shorten that damn link?

...and here it is in shortened form:

http://tinyurl.com/rsqck

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

actually

All of rifts' Kevin long art was " Lifted " from Appleseed and Bubblegum Crisis and Other studio Nue projects

The gundamish mecha didn't arrive until late 90s
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Not like palladium was doing any thing with them. Wheres our miniatures my transformers are boring me now.
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Sir Ysbadden wrote:
Gomen_Nagai wrote:actually

All of rifts' Kevin long art was " Lifted " from Appleseed and Bubblegum Crisis and Other studio Nue projects

Another true fact about the influances of the art

Quite true. For instance, is THIS a Triax Marauder or a Bubblegum Crisis Boomer? If you said the first, you'd be wrong. And if you think the Marauder predates the Boomer, you'd again be in the wrong. Bottom line is Palladium can't gripe too much because they've "taken inspiriation" for their art from others sources as well to such a degree in some instances that they are in no position to cry foul when others borrow form them.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Do you mean that PB didn't start having Gundam infulence until the 90s or that Gundam wasn't around until the 90's? If it is the latter and not the former then... so what if it is the former and not the latter than :thwak: Gundam has been around longer than that.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dead Boy wrote:
Sir Ysbadden wrote:

Another true fact about the influances of the art

Quite true. For instance, is THIS a Triax Marauder or a Bubblegum Crisis Boomer? If you said the first, you'd be wrong. And if you think the Marauder predates the Boomer, you'd again be in the wrong. Bottom line is Palladium can't gripe too much because they've "taken inspiriation" for their art from others sources as well to such a degree in some instances that they are in no position to cry foul when others borrow form them.
It is a type-C boomer duh. There is enough difference to notice. Saying that they look the same you can then say that everyone who has drawn a bipedal form has stolen from Leonardo.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

Newton Ewell was the only gundam style artist Palladium hired which happened in the 90s.
Gustovich was their premiere artist before that and he had a very, DATED style.
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

As for the Chaos eight pointed star, IIRC it originally appeared in the Elric/Stormbringer books by Michael Moorcock.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Actually, it was originally designed by Moorcock for the Stormbringer series and was later adopted for Chaos Magic (a very modern philosophy contrary to popular belief).
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell

Return to “Rifts®”