Perception Rolls

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Perception Rolls

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

I want to incorporate Perception Rolls into my other Palladium campaigns, particularly the fantasy one. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas or guidelines on how to do it.
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

I've been using them for years, work great, use them in the same way.

Cinos
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..They're on the official character sheets from Adventures on the High Seas; I had just gotten NightSpawn when I started that project and seeing the Perception rules as official material in one of their games was good enough for me.

..They're allso in the Q&A section of one of the Rifters, although I can't remember which one, and don't have them handy right now...

..For a quick fix, download one of the character sheets from my sig; with the exception of the revised official sheets, all the rest have the base difficulty numbers listed on them. For bonuses, use the ME chart with the IQ.

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Perception Rolls

Unread post by Denaes »

Holyoak wrote:Anyway we top the skill out at 85% with the understanding that no one is going to tend to be more perceptive then this all the time.

I suppose you could go up to 98% like other skills and just introduce penalties when something is really distracting.
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

Prior to Nightbane I just used a d20 roll. Bonuses and penalties were entirely circumstancial, higher the better. No bonuses from the character themselves.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Denaes wrote:Prior to Nightbane I just used a d20 roll. Bonuses and penalties were entirely circumstancial, higher the better. No bonuses from the character themselves.

I usually have the character 'save versus IQ' by rolling under their IQ on a D20, but I just finished BtS2 and thought it might be time to introduce something more official.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Lynx8882 wrote:problem with that is your characters reverse and want the lower score and when characters have a stat over 20 the only fail when they roll a nat 20 and that just seems wrong

I did not say it was a perfect system. Besides, I have not used the supernatural extensively in my campaigns so far. By including perception rolls, I was hoping to add a bit of horror to my game.
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

Lynx8882 wrote:problem with that is your characters reverse and want the lower score and when characters have a stat over 20 the only fail when they roll a nat 20 and that just seems wrong

Lynx

Why would this make someone want a lower score?

I know it seems wrong, but this was the prevailing default for a long time. This is how D&D handled skills and abilities until 3.x came out and it was a problem for them as well when you had a an ability score of 20+, though it was a bit more rare in D&D, but not unheard of.
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

Lynx8882 wrote:To roll under your IQ if you get 1 it be like rolling a nat 20 for a strike call the best your can get in the situation possible

Lynx

Oh, I get it. You don't bean score as in ability score. You mean they would want to roll low.

Yeah. Same as with skills. Palladium doesn't have much in the way of consistancy so thats no biggie
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Denaes wrote:Palladium doesn't have much in the way of consistancy so thats no biggie

No, Palladium just doesn't rewrite their entire rules system every three to five years.
Denaes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Denaes »

Ted Smythe wrote:
Denaes wrote:Palladium doesn't have much in the way of consistancy so thats no biggie

No, Palladium just doesn't rewrite their entire rules system every three to five years.

Nothing to do with rewriting their system at any interval or comparisons of other companies rewriting systems.

Since it's conception, the Palladium System hasn't changed the fact that sometimes you want to roll high and other times you want to roll low. Sometimes you're rolling a d20, sometimes a d100.

It's not a consistant system, so whether you decide to roll whatever die, high/low, it doesn't really stand out of place.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”