Question about a weapon.

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

stilwell

Question about a weapon.

Unread post by stilwell »

Hi guys.

Here it is. I'm looking in the rulebook. The NEMA LGR-360 laser rifle does 5d6 MG with a 3 round burst and 3d6x10MG with a 5 round burst. Then you have the NEMA PR-470 which does 6d6MG and is said to be a heavy weapon. Is there errata which increases the damage. It jsut seems to me that a heavy weapon should do more damage than the typical weapon carried by an average grunt.

What do you think about 6d6x10MD for this one. I'm new to this game guys and have not yet really played alot yet so don't hammer me to hard :-) thanks.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

You're looking at the SDC damage of the LGR-360.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
stilwell

Unread post by stilwell »

Ok, right you are... but still. The LGR-360 does 6d6 MDC per triple shot burst.

The PR-470 which is a plasma rifle used for "heavy MDC armored troops, light vehicles, and now demons and monsters" I'm still not seeing why anyone would use this weapon over the LGR-360 with these stats. Specificlly why someone would use a weapon that in everyway is comparable to the LGR-360 except that it does not have automatic fire capabilities.
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

stilwell wrote:Ok, right you are... but still. The LGR-360 does 6d6 MDC per triple shot burst.

The PR-470 which is a plasma rifle used for "heavy MDC armored troops, light vehicles, and now demons and monsters" I'm still not seeing why anyone would use this weapon over the LGR-360 with these stats. Specificlly why someone would use a weapon that in everyway is comparable to the LGR-360 except that it does not have automatic fire capabilities.

Plasma weapons do splash damage, IMO. Not to the surrouding area, but to the target itself. The plasma strikes the target and breaks across it, sorta like a water balloon. A laser, alternatively, pokes a little hole in the target.

So, you shoot a demon in the arm with a laser and burn a neat hole through its supernatural flesh. Your buddy coincidentally hits the other arm with his plasma rifle and burns it and a good bit of the shoulder it was once connected to evil ash.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Also, one shot from the Plasma Rifle does 6D6 M.D., one shot as opposed to three equals better accuracy.

~ Josh
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

stilwell wrote:Ok, right you are... but still. The LGR-360 does 6d6 MDC per triple shot burst.

because the pulse shot takes 3 ammo AND uses burst bonuses, while the plasma rifle does teh same damage in ONE shot AND is more accurate to boot?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”