Glitterboy Vrs Mindmelter

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GB vrs Mindmelter

GB
32%
Mindmelter
45%
tie
24%

Total votes: 38

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Glitterboy Vrs Mindmelter

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Who would win in a fight a 1st level gliterboy or a 10th level Mindmelter?
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mind melter.

Telemechanic Paralasis.

fight over.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Nekira for the win.

or you could just use Telemechanics, and super TK and just take off the GB ammo drum.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

The Mind Melter would have been smart enough not to show up.
No fight.
Mind Melter: +50 for avoiding unnecessary violence.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I said a tie.

If the GB sees the Mindmelter coming (he has to know its a Mindmelter) he can just take aim at range........

If the Mindmelter can get close enogh to the GB to use his powers...........
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Sentinel
Palladin

Let's establish a few things.

Is this a fight, where both opponents can clearly see each other, and know that a violent encounter is forthcoming? Or, is it a matter of being sneaky and blindsiding the Glitter Boy at every turn?

What is the Mind Melter wearing?
What Psi-Powers does he have? How much ISP?

Is there a Ley Line nearbyu that affect the Mind Melters abilities?

If it's a stand-up fight out in the open, I give it to the Glitter Boy, just due to the range of the Boom Gun (no telemechanic power reaches that far).

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

jedi078 wrote:I said a tie.

If the GB sees the Mindmelter coming (he has to know its a Mindmelter) he can just take aim at range........

Mind Melter just uses Psionic Invisibility.

or prowl for that matter :lol:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Ah tech vs. Magic (this debate can go on forever.........so lets try to make it short)

Prowl can be defeated if the GB uses thermal sights,

As for Psionic Invisibility even if the brain is telling him/her there is no target the machine (the GB) won't be fooled, and still detect the Mindmelter and alarms may/will ring out, letting the GB know that something is wrong but he/she won't know what (that a Mindmelter is making a stealth approach).

Also according to RUE (page 181) Psionic Invisibility can't be used if the psychic has ill intent. (that is intending to attack or harm the target).

That's kinda dumb though and takes the fun out of having the power. Maybe no -2 to the saving throw if the power is used with ill intent?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Boomgun has "I Win" written all over it. :D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Sentinel wrote:Let's establish a few things.

Is this a fight, where both opponents can clearly see each other, and know that a violent encounter is forthcoming? Or, is it a matter of being sneaky and blindsiding the Glitter Boy at every turn?

Is there a Ley Line nearbyu that affect the Mind Melters abilities?

If it's a stand-up fight out in the open, I give it to the Glitter Boy, just due to the range of the Boom Gun (no telemechanic power reaches that far).

Agreed.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Sentinel
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Let's establish a few things.

Is there a Ley Line nearby that affect the Mind Melters abilities?

Agreed.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

jedi078 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Ah tech vs. PSIONICS (this debate can go on forever.........so lets try to make it short)
;)

Prowl can be defeated if the GB uses thermal sights,

No, it can't. Thermal Sights do not negate prowl.

As for Psionic Invisibility even if the brain is telling him/her there is no target the machine (the GB) won't be fooled, and still detect the Mindmelter and alarms may/will ring out, letting the GB know that something is wrong but he/she won't know what (that a Mindmelter is making a stealth approach).

Don't recall anything about Power Armor having alarm systems...

Also according to RUE (page 181) Psionic Invisibility can't be used if the psychic has ill intent. (that is intending to attack or harm the target).

Didn't notice that change. still dosn't affect the outcome.

That's kinda dumb though and takes the fun out of having the power. Maybe no -2 to the saving throw if the power is used with ill intent?

agreed, it's dumb.

Sentinel
Palladin

Ah tech vs. Magic

Actually, it's Psionics vs Tech. :D

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Daytrippr wrote:Glitter Boy for the win.

Thermal sights negate the prowl unless the prowler type person is wearing thermal reduction gear.

Thermal Sights do NOT, I repeat NOT negate prowl.

[/quote]Radar. Discrim vs moving and non moving targets. /quote]

Ya do know that radar is generally considered useless aginst ground targets, right?

Spectre
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spectre »

I first need to kow if our mindmelter is crazy or not. :lol: I could see some Delwin action going on.

Thermal Sights do NOT, I repeat NOT negate prowl

I don't care how well you can move through tall grass or use environment as cover. If the GB is actively searching for you with thermals, prepare to get a sniper shotgun blast.
The best example of this is when the cops chase someone at night. They ain't going to see him if he stopps running and lays down in the grass, (sucessful prowl) so they call in the chopper with thermal imaging and the cops are led right to the bad dude.
"A little Rebellion now and then is a good thing." Thomas Jefferson
(To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries): Death and Destruction, Chaos and Carnage, Total Annailation Now!
300 Movie Geek Points
"I immediately regret this decision."- Jack Hare
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote: Thermal Sights do NOT, I repeat NOT negate prowl.

I beg to differ, you can try sneak up on a position that is manned by personal using thermal sights and they will see you if they scan the sights over the direction your coming from, thus negating anybody "quietly sneaking up on the position using cover/concealment" (which pretty much defines the prowl skill to me).

Thermal sites have been used in Iraq to detect Insurgent attempting to infiltrate the perimeter of base fire team/squad positions, locate insurgents in the next room etc.

Somebody even sent me a Window Media player movie where a U.S. Army helicopter equipped with thermal sights snuffed out some insurgents after they threw some weapons in a field before stopping at a check point.

The point is after the helicopter saw them hiding the weapons and then fired its first burst from its machinegun they tried to hide, and sneak away. But the thermal sight saw this and.....

......you have a real world instance of thermal sights negating prowl.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Don't recall anything about Power Armor having alarm systems...

Common sense in the world of rifts dictates that it would be prudent, with all this magic and psionic stuff running around to have an audible alarm when the Robot/Power Armor detects something on any of its sensors to give the pilot an edge over said magic and Psionics.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Ya do know that radar is generally considered useless aginst ground targets, right?

Again common sense dictates as ground unit a GB would most likely have a radar geared towards detecting ground targets.
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

A 1st level psychic can stop a Glitterboy by using Ectoplasmic mist to cover all the vents in the GB so nothing will fire...but in any staged fight, the GB wins, unless the Mind melter can Kill the GB in astral form, or is a Neo human and has megakinesis.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Spectre wrote:I first need to kow if our mindmelter is crazy or not. :lol: I could see some Delwin action going on.

Thermal Sights do NOT, I repeat NOT negate prowl

I don't care how well you can move through tall grass or use environment as cover. If the GB is actively searching for you with thermals, prepare to get a sniper shotgun blast.
The best example of this is when the cops chase someone at night. They ain't going to see him if he stopps running and lays down in the grass, (sucessful prowl) so they call in the chopper with thermal imaging and the cops are led right to the bad dude.

Prowl is avoiding detection. on a sucessful roll, you just don't look in the right direction.

at LEAST, the glitter boy would have to make a Sensory Systems check to notice someone prowling

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

jedi078 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote: Thermal Sights do NOT, I repeat NOT negate prowl.

I beg to differ, you can try sneak up on a position that is manned by personal using thermal sights and they will see you if they scan the sights over the direction your coming from, thus negating anybody "quietly sneaking up on the position using cover/concealment" (which pretty much defines the prowl skill to me).

Thermal sites have been used in Iraq to detect Insurgent attempting to infiltrate the perimeter of base fire team/squad positions, locate insurgents in the next room etc.

Somebody even sent me a Window Media player movie where a U.S. Army helicopter equipped with thermal sights snuffed out some insurgents after they threw some weapons in a field before stopping at a check point.

The point is after the helicopter saw them hiding the weapons and then fired its first burst from its machinegun they tried to hide, and sneak away. But the thermal sight saw this and.....

......you have a real world instance of thermal sights negating prowl.

in the real world, people with thermal optics have been snuck up on. that alone proves my point.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Don't recall anything about Power Armor having alarm systems...

Common sense in the world of rifts dictates that it would be prudent, with all this magic and psionic stuff running around to have an audible alarm when the Robot/Power Armor detects something on any of its sensors to give the pilot an edge over said magic and Psionics.

I call it giving your stuff abilities it dosn't have. unless you want me to start using some of the more liberal interpretations of magic and psionics unless stated power armor dosn't have alarms.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Ya do know that radar is generally considered useless aginst ground targets, right?

Again common sense dictates as ground unit a GB would most likely have a radar geared towards detecting ground targets.
[/quote]

not really. I always thought it was geared twords detecting those pesky SAMAS....

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I call it giving your stuff abilities it dosn't have. unless you want me to start using some of the more liberal interpretations of magic and psionics unless stated power armor dosn't have alarms.

[/quote]

Nearly every PA/Robot/combat unit in Rifts has automatic target tracking and this information is displayed on the HUD by the Combat Computer. This is listed in the "common features" section that describes PA/robots. I don't know if there would be a audible alarm or not but when your HUD starts projecting targets on your visor then it's time to start shooting.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Dustin Fireblade wrote:

Nearly every PA/Robot/combat unit in Rifts has automatic target tracking and this information is displayed on the HUD by the Combat Computer. This is listed in the "common features" section that describes PA/robots. I don't know if there would be a audible alarm or not but when your HUD starts projecting targets on your visor then it's time to start shooting.[/quote]

Yes, but I assumed he ment a sound alarm which they don't have.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Daytrippr wrote:Yes, theres instances of people getting snuck up on with thermal imaging.
However, Prowl helps the person moving silently,sneakily and stealthly. Doesnt stop the thermal imaging from 'seeing' them.

The GB does a 360 rotation, sees the sneaky and BOOM, especially with the sign on the head that says ' 10 th level mind melter'........

it's still not a garenteed find.

Btw? there is Radar that tracks ground targets :D

but it's not what they have.

jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote: in the real world, people with thermal optics have been snuck up on. that alone proves my point.

And do you have any examples to back up your point?

We already have two examples backing up the "thermal can see a guy using prowl" here already.

Just to help out your point of view here are a few:

The GB falling asleep

1. Sneaking up all the way behind the GB (which of course can change if the GB turns around to do a 360 degree check its six) and if you defense to that going to be

Nekira Sudacne wrote:it's still not a guaranteed find.
Give us some examples (please note I corrected your misspelling of guaranteed)

2. Use of thermal flares (but this tells the GB something is coming)

3. Thermal sight breaks down

4. Go ahead and add some more if you like.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I call it giving your stuff abilities it doesn't have. unless you want me to start using some of the more liberal interpretations of magic and psionics unless stated power armor doesn't have alarms.

Ok so without your "Liberal Interpretations" or my "Common Sense" the GB still has radar and the GB pilot will see the movement on the radar screen because it will have to be placed within his helmet in such a place so he/she can see the radar screen.

So the radar screen is super imposed on the operators heads up display, meaning that movement on the radar screen will be seen, and if its not super imposed the radar screen will be either below, above or to the left and right of the view finder, the operator has a even better chance of seeing it since your peripheral vision is actually more likely to pick up movement.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Yes, but I assumed he meant a sound alarm which they don't have.

Oh come on! How many times in Sci-fi have you seen/heard a CPU says "Target acquired" or something else along those lines?

AdeptPaladin wrote:Anything more than melee range, the GB wins.

In terms of sheer firepower, endurance, etc.. the GB outclasses the mind melter. Especially if at 11,000ft range, the MM won't even realize that he's about to turned into a human-sized sieve until after it's already happened.

I doubt the Mind melter would even realize it after he/she was turned into a human-sized sieve (the player would)
Sentinel
Palladin

Quote:
Btw? there is Radar that tracks ground targets

Since the Glitter Boy can't fly, why would it have anything else?
They do have all the standard Power Armour features, one of which is radar, but I find it unlikely that a system that would be useless to the Earth-bound GB would be included.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i remember that one. some insurgents were planting explosives on supply trucks, and the Apache used its 30mm chaingun to 'mist' them. one second there, the next a stain.

in the real world, people with thermal optics have been snuck up on. that alone proves my point.
first provide evidence. but any sensor system can be evaded. most thermal or night vision system reduce peripheral vision for example, and you could sneak up behind or off to one side without being seen.

but then you have to deal with the other sensors. a GB's radar for example might have a motion detector feature, so unless your moving very slowly, there is a good chance of being picked up. a GB's audio sensors will most likely be on, meaning you'll have to be very quiet. ect.

as a GM, i'd say a read sensory instrument role would be in order, provided the GB had its sensors on.

Btw? there is Radar that tracks ground targets

where does it say that?
logically, any radar on a ground unit would have a feature to make it work in sensing ground based objects. now, objects in the air would be easier to sense, but even air to air radar can be employed to search out ground targets, its just harder to do.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

jedi078 wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote: in the real world, people with thermal optics have been snuck up on. that alone proves my point.

And do you have any examples to back up your point?

We already have two examples backing up the "thermal can see a guy using prowl" here already.

Just to help out your point of view here are a few:

The GB falling asleep

1. Sneaking up all the way behind the GB (which of course can change if the GB turns around to do a 360 degree check its six) and if you defense to that going to be

Nekira Sudacne wrote:it's still not a guaranteed find.
Give us some examples (please note I corrected your misspelling of guaranteed)

2. Use of thermal flares (but this tells the GB something is coming)

3. Thermal sight breaks down

4. Go ahead and add some more if you like.

1. there could be other warm-blooded things around to confuse things.

2. Asleep on his feet. i've not noticed people walking right up to me until they said hi

3. sensor malfunction.

4. psychic jamming

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I call it giving your stuff abilities it doesn't have. unless you want me to start using some of the more liberal interpretations of magic and psionics unless stated power armor doesn't have alarms.

Ok so without your "Liberal Interpretations" or my "Common Sense" the GB still has radar and the GB pilot will see the movement on the radar screen because it will have to be placed within his helmet in such a place so he/she can see the radar screen.

So the radar screen is super imposed on the operators heads up display, meaning that movement on the radar screen will be seen, and if its not super imposed the radar screen will be either below, above or to the left and right of the view finder, the operator has a even better chance of seeing it since your peripheral vision is actually more likely to pick up movement.

yes, that's not an alarm though.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Yes, but I assumed he meant a sound alarm which they don't have.

Oh come on! How many times in Sci-fi have you seen/heard a CPU says "Target acquired" or something else along those lines?

to be perfectly honest, my Si-Fi experiance pretty much consists of Starship Troopers, Miles Vorkoseigan, and Mutineers moon. none of which had sound alarms on personel weapon systems.

AdeptPaladin wrote:Anything more than melee range, the GB wins.

In terms of sheer firepower, endurance, etc.. the GB outclasses the mind melter. Especially if at 11,000ft range, the MM won't even realize that he's about to turned into a human-sized sieve until after it's already happened.

I doubt the Mind melter would even realize it after he/she was turned into a human-sized sieve (the player would)

not until we determine range.

if this fight takes place at close range, mind melter wins.

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Im surprised no ones mentioned the astral transferance power.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Scooter the Outlaw
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Scooter the Outlaw »

Lord Cherico wrote:Im surprised no ones mentioned the astral transferance power.

Chalk one up for the Mind Melter...
Sentinel
Palladin

So, the Mind Melter goes astral, the GB shoots the unprotected MMs' body...now what?

Can you do the transferral through a Powered Armour?

Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

astral Transference leaves no body behind. However to Co exist in the physical plane eats up ISP ..
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Sentinel wrote:So, the Mind Melter goes astral, the GB shoots the unprotected MMs' body...now what?

Can you do the transferral through a Powered Armour?

wrong power.

Astral Projection leaves a body behind.

Astral Transferance moves the entire body ot the astral plane.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

CS mind melter for the win baby over the FQ glitterboy
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Straight combat encounter, 9 outta 10 the Glitterboy.

Actual role play scenario where each can plan ahead for the situation, 9 outta 10 the Mind Melter.

This is like saying who would win, Mike Tyson or Gary Kasparov. If it's just fighting, Mike's going to pound Kasparov good. If Gary can turn it from a fight into a game of Chess, he's got the win well in hand.

Unless Tyson can somehow figure out that he needs to toss the board away and pummel Kasparov before Kasparov can score the checkmate.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Lord_Coake wrote:Uh...770 Main Body MD? 150 Pilot Compartment? Robotic PS of 30? If that MM gets slugged, he's paste.

If the MM has any nifty Telemechanics powers and gets close, the GB is toast.

If the MM stands out in the open waiting for the GB to pick him off from a mile away he deserves to get blasted.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

In most open terrain and terrain with minimal cover, the GB would win due to having a range and sensor advantage. Sure, the telemechanics powers are nifty, but they do have limited range. There is also the fact that light ground cover, like bushes and small trees, aren't going to obstruct sensors much. I'd like to see someone hide behind a small tree that's only a few inches thick, or hide behind a bush that thermal could easily see someone's body heat through.

An advantage for the Mind Melter would be terrain with much cover, like rocky terrain, a forest, or even someplace like an urban environment or ruins.
That 2 mile boom gun range and 4000ft thermal sight range aren't going to help much if they are plenty of things around to obstruct sensors and line of sight, or otherwise provide plenty of cover and hiding places for a Mind Melter.

One side question I have, is would the GB pilot even be affected by some mind affecting psionic powers if they are in an environmentally sealed off unit?

I do agree that the sensors would likely let the GB pilot know if something is there, like maybe a proximity alert of some sorts (likely something usually used to keep the GB from accidentally hitting stuff/things/people while maneuvering the GB in limited visibility.
Any GB pilot who is "still alive", or at least has learned or taught enough to survive on their own in the wilderness, will take notice of anything the sensors detect, otherwise he would already be dead from being ambushed by some sort of nasty critter or other thing that looked small or mundane on sensors, but turned out to very nasty.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

I voted "tie" because it all depends on what Super Psionics the Melter has. If he has Psychic Body Field(100 MDC at 10th Level) and Psi-Sword (10D6 MDC at 9th Level;for when he is close) as well as the Telemechanics stuff, he may win. It is still quite possible for the Boom Gun to blow through the Melters PBF(100 MDC) and his body armour. This only has to happen once.Ever. With a maximum of 180 MDC from the Boom Gun, and Melters using Light Body Armour, this is quite possible.Of course, if the Melter is from Psyscape and chose PBF as his 'Mastered' Super-Psi Power his PBF is 200 MDC per use, and lasts 40 minutes duration(Max).
If the Melter can get close enough to use the Telemechanics Powers, then the GB is in real trouble. It's a matter of what the Melter's Powers are and the roll of the dice.
Without exacting particulars, I just have to say a 'tie' because it really can go either way.
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Daytrippr wrote:Glitter Boy for the knockout in the 3rd round

3 Rounds, or 3 actions? :D
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

R Ditto wrote:An advantage for the Mind Melter would be terrain with much cover, like rocky terrain, a forest, or even someplace like an urban environment or ruins.
That 2 mile boom gun range and 4000ft thermal sight range aren't going to help much if they are plenty of things around to obstruct sensors and line of sight, or otherwise provide plenty of cover and hiding places for a Mind Melter.

Seeing that Army M1A1's in the 1992 Gulf War used thermal sights identify and shoot Iraqi tanks taking cover behind sand dunes, I would think that the GB would also use this tactic especially if they see someone in the thermal sights trying to sneak up on him.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I think the mind melter would try to level the playing field by making the GB play by HIS rules.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I think the mind melter would try to level the playing field by making the GB play by HIS rules.

and the glitterboy will try to level the playing feild by LEVELING the playing feild. :)

especially now that the GB has a dimensional pocket ammobin with 1000 rounds.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

I'm still trying to figure out if this is meant to be a serious post or not. :lol:
R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

jedi078 wrote:
R Ditto wrote:An advantage for the Mind Melter would be terrain with much cover, like rocky terrain, a forest, or even someplace like an urban environment or ruins.

Seeing that Army M1A1's in the 1992 Gulf War used thermal sights identify and shoot Iraqi tanks taking cover behind sand dunes, I would think that the GB would also use this tactic especially if they see someone in the thermal sights trying to sneak up on him.

True, but the GB is no M1.
It's thermal sight range is pathetic compared to that of the thermal sights on an M1. Spotting a big "hot" engine in a big heat conducting metal structure like a tank would be easy because of the amount of thermal energy being put out. A not so warm and smaller source of heat like a person is another matter.

The GB also lacks the rather 'large' looking thermal imaging equipment. I can see it seeing through thin brick walls, wooden walls, thin stone walls or lesser obstacles like bushes or long grass/tall plants, but thicker stuff would likely block enough heat that a human target might be able to take at least some cover from the thermal sights on the GB.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
Sentinel
Palladin

R Ditto wrote:
jedi078 wrote:

True, but the GB is no M1.

Is this perhaps because KevSim was no expert on tanks, and didn't know enough to make the GB any better? (serious question)

It's thermal sight range is pathetic compared to that of the thermal sights on an M1. Spotting a big "hot" engine in a big heat conducting metal structure like a tank would be easy because of the amount of thermal energy being put out. A not so warm and smaller source of heat like a person is another matter.

The GB also lacks the rather 'large' looking thermal imaging equipment. I can see it seeing through thin brick walls, wooden walls, thin stone walls or lesser obstacles like bushes or long grass/tall plants, but thicker stuff would likely block enough heat that a human target might be able to take at least some cover from the thermal sights on the GB.

Palladium ranges are generally less than real world equivalents: KevSim has admitted in the past to working this in order to keep the combats more up close and personal.
Not that this is always achieved, mind you.

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

As noted, you can't see through walls with thermals, you also can't see throguh a sand dune either.

There was a case of an M1 using its thermls to track a T-72 on the other side of a sand dune though. This was because the hot exhaust from the 750 hp diesel engine of the T-72 left a plume visable to the thermals. Sort of like in the old days when they used to track hostile ships by the smoke from their engines.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Sentinel
Palladin

Glitter Boy Pilot takes the Mind Melter out on the town for a round of shots.
Mind Melter wakes up the next morning with a hangover, and strapped to a recovery table in a Chop-Shop specializing in 'Borg Conversions.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Jamulus wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Glitter Boy Pilot takes the Mind Melter out on the town for a round of shots.
Mind Melter wakes up the next morning with a hangover, and strapped to a recovery table in a Chop-Shop specializing in 'Borg Conversions.

I GM a mind melter that used Immunity to Poison to do almost the same thing...

Yeap, remember what I said about Tyson vs Kasparov, as long as Kasparov can keep Iron Mike playing the game by his rules, Kasparov wins. If Mike figures it out and starts swinging, we're looking for another chess champion.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Okay...

1) Thermal imaging has nothing to do with how well somebody is moving silently and "stealth" like (like a ninja). So what if the MM is prowling and the GB happens to see him on thermal optics... Now, applying TI to invisability, thats a different story.

2) Radar does not map the ground unless you have a very specific ground mapping radar...and you would have to be a flying unit to properlly use it. GB's have air tracking radars and thats it. Anyway, unless the MM had highly reflective armor on and was jumping hundreds of feet in the air, the GB's radar would be useless.

3) Are we considering the GB as a Robot or a Power Armor? I personally think of it as a Robot because my deffinition of a Robot is a one with a reinforced pilots compartment. If that was true, then how could the MM "penatrate" the walls of the vehical (even if its a PA, the reinforced pilots compartment should be "thick" enough)? That means only things like psi-sword or mind bolt can hurt the skin of the GB only. Mind control would be useless until the pilot got out of his bot...
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Has anyone mentioned the astral projection + mentaly possess other combo to get this Mind Melter a Glitter boy for resale?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

jedi078 wrote:

Yeah that's also how they targeted other M1's and caused the friendly fire incedents. Yeah they can target a heat source but knowing who the heat source is another problem.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Here's a thermal beater. A crowd.

Like the GB is going to be able to determine by thermals which of the biologically normal people in a crowd of biologically normal people intend to do him harm.

Or the Mind Melter could forget trying to prowl, afterall, how does the glitter boy know that he's not just another vagabond awe inspired by the legendary suit?

Return to “Rifts®”